Profile for MAR2D2 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MAR2D2 RSS Feed (Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Inhumans: The Origin of the Inhumans
Inhumans: The Origin of the Inhumans
by Stan Lee
Price: $28.51
33 used & new from $14.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Inhumans or Fantastic Four?, October 26, 2013
This could have been called Fantastic Four collection. 90% of it is just reprints that are already in the second FF Omnibus. About 35 pages are reprinted Kirby pages from The Mighty Thor 146-152 that were not collected in the second Thor Omnibus. I suspect Marvel is milking Kirby fans to buy this TP for those 35 pages. Especially seeing the insane price of $40 for a TP.
However, to be fair, the quality of the paperback is very good. The same colors are used as in the Omnibus, but due to the paper being more matte I like it even better. The paper is thinner than the Omnibus, but good quality. And of course it reads much easier than the huge and heavy Omnibus.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 4:42 PM PST

Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso: The Deluxe Edition
Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso: The Deluxe Edition
by Eduardo Risso
Price: $18.10
62 used & new from $9.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be named Deluxe Colorless Edition, June 19, 2013
Would have been 5 stars if the description mentioned that the book is in black & white. May seem harsh, but this is like buying a Special Edition DVD of your favorite movie, only to find out Special Edition means that some scenes were deleted.
Maybe not a smart move on my part, but I sold my Risso batman books because they now would be collected in 1 beautiful book. Well, beautiful it is, but If I had to chose I would chose the colored versions.
So yeah, a disappointment. But that doesn't mean the book is bad. Pages are glossy and bigger than the original published versions. Like someone else mentioned, the art has a Sin City-like feel to it. Beautiful cover too.
So a very well done hardcover. But it only would have taken a "b&w" to describe it more accurately.

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science Bad
The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science Bad
by Jonathan Hickman
Price: $12.01
88 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a gamble, May 23, 2013
I found this book hugely entertaining. Didn't like the art style in the beginning, but it grew on me and now I love it. Likewise, after reading the first 2 pages I thought it was going to be a boring story: just a slightly different take on history. Until I realised it's a hardcore science-fiction story.

If you liked the movie Inglorious Basterds from Quentin Tarantino you may like Manhattan Projects too. This comic has the same mix of historical fantasy, suspense, violence, humor and interesting characters. But with lots of sci-fi added.
I also liked the design of the book. Nice soft paper and cover. Lots of white. Nice graphic chapter divisions with interesting or funny quotes from one of the characters.

Really, this book is unique (and cheap on Amazon) enough to warrant a trial. If you don't like it you can trade it with a friend for another paperback. (that's why they call it a Trade Paperback?)

Aliens: More than Human (Aliens (Dark Horse))
Aliens: More than Human (Aliens (Dark Horse))
by John Arcudi
Price: $13.86
46 used & new from $7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a complete story, but a very good start., February 9, 2013
I liked it very much. I read it knowing it is but the first story of a new series of Dark Horse Aliens and Predator-stories coming up. As such, I didn't expect an ending to this story. So I wasn't disappointed, but rather excited that this book is but a part of a (much?) bigger storyline.
There is some mystery in it that will be explained in later books and there are hints at some things new to the Alien canon.
Also, there was an event in the beginning of the book I did NOT see coming and have only ever seen in a comic in Kirkman's Walking Dead. Too bad I can't write about it.
The art is not exceptionally good, but I think that of the art of every Alien comic. And it's certainly not bad, so it doesn't in any way detract from the story. Alien fans cannot go wrong with this book.

Madman 20th Anniversary Monster HC
Madman 20th Anniversary Monster HC
by Mike Allred
Price: $68.46
19 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes size DOES matter, February 18, 2012
Wow! Just flippin' wow!
When I opened the book I was mildly disappointed to see there was only 50 pages of comic and the rest were pinups. However, after flippin' through the book I became more and more excited. First of all because of the format. These huge pages really make the art look impressive, like posters. The quality of the glossy paper make the art look really good. I want to hang all of them on my walls like if they were original art, but my wife would object.
I'm also excited because every pinup makes me laugh. Madman always made me 'lighten up'. I'm a pretty serious guy and...hey wait a minute...I don't HAVE a wife!
Anyway, the pinups make me feel good. I like the 177 top artists who contributed. I like to see the diversity of their styles in one book.

It's true, some 80 pinups were already in the Gargantua and Atomica collections, but much smaller. I can't get over how big this book is. It makes all the difference in the world. Also, the book contains 20 pages of comics by Allred and 25 by other artists.
100 bucks is a lot for this book. But the 50 Amazon is charging is definitely not! This is my coffeetable book for the coming year. I can't stop flippin' through it.

Did I already say: Wow! Just flippin' wow?
...oh yeah, I did.

Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
by Bob Gale
Price: $19.88
51 used & new from $14.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Different paperbacks, January 3, 2012
I just bought it, haven't read it yet, but I want to make clear NOW that this is the NEW paperback edition, which have been followed by a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Before this new edition the No Man's Land saga was published in 5 smaller paperbacks with only the core storyline. These NEW editions are the complete story. So make sure which one you're gonna buy. The NEW paperbacks have some reviews under them of the OLD paperbacks.

It's a bit confusing, but I hope I made everything clear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 2:43 AM PST

Compleat Aliens , Hardcover Comics in Slipcase, Limited Edition
Compleat Aliens , Hardcover Comics in Slipcase, Limited Edition
by Mark Verheiden

5.0 out of 5 stars More an ode than a review., January 2, 2012
Finally, after years of searching (and saving) I found this hardcover and bought it. I already had the individual issues of the Aliens series, so I bought it really only for its collectibility.

My most expensive book. I can look at it for hours. I can fondle it for days. I want to make love to it, but won't for it will crinkle the pages.

It's so beautiful and sturdy. Quality oozes from it. The first B&W Aliens comic was the first comic I ever bought. And now I have it as part of one of the rarest, hardest to get hardcovers in existence. I'm trying to express what I feel when I hold it in my hands, but I notice I can't, so I'll stop.

In short, it cost a shidload of money but I now realise a shidload is not too much to pay for a dream come true.

Now for that Ferrari.

Preacher Book Five
Preacher Book Five
by Garth Ennis
Price: $28.48
30 used & new from $17.98

3.0 out of 5 stars GLOSSY????, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Preacher Book Five (Hardcover)
The paper is glossy instead of the matte paper the first 4 hardcovers had.
I happen to love Preacher on matte. Glossy is shite. It changes the colors and the whole atmosphere of the story for the worse. It's really a difference between night and day.
So yeah, I was disappointed. Hence my 3 stars.

BONE #1: Out from Boneville
BONE #1: Out from Boneville
by Jeff Smith
Price: $9.03
473 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars prefer b&w, December 9, 2011
I loved Bone when it came out and I love it now. I couldn't stop looking at the clean sweeping lines from Jeff Smith's inking brush. Now reading the colored version I feel that something is lost, not added. I'm not as enthralled as when I read the B&W version. I don't really know why. Maybe because the emphasis has shifted from the linework to the colors?
The coloring itself is done well. But I'm glad I didn't sell my B&W trades.

Amazing Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
by David Michelinie
21 used & new from $52.68

5.0 out of 5 stars the Amazing Spiderman collection, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Amazing Spider-Man (Hardcover)
I'm so excited! I'm already a big fan of he Marvel Omnibi. They are like long cherished dreams and wishes finally coming true. All Walt Simonson Thor's in one? All Steve Ditko SM in one? And now all Todd McFarlane Spiderman in one? Pinch me, I must still be dreaming.

I still think this is Todd's best work. I like the first Spawn issues, but compared to ASM they have a worse sense of storytelling, too much unnecessary detail, too obtrusive coloring and too much breaking of panels. All too often it looks messy.
It may be because David Michelinie is a better writer than Todd. As I recall, the Spiderman series Todd drew (and wrote?) after he left AMS was already worse than his ASM run.

But this book is a joy to read. Sometimes you enjoy a comicbook, but when you read it 10 years or so later you think: wait a minute...did I ever enjoy this?? This not as good as I remember. This is crap!
Not so with this book. It's actually better than I remember it. The artwork is still mesmerizing to look at, the story and dialogue so funny and breezy. I love the impossible poses, the proper pacing between action and drama, the cute faces (even Venom looks cute), the copious pinups of Mary Jane and the comedy (Spiderman in a gala suit...LOL)

The book also contains 26 covers Todd did with SM. The quality of the book is standard Omnibus quality: excellent, if not perfect. Marvel has some pretty good editors working nowadays, who know (and probably love) what they're doing.
Actually, the only thing I could find that withholds this book from being absolutely perfect is that there's a lot of references to other issues: see Spectacular #217 - Ed. See X-Factor, etc. But I'm still excited.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2013 2:12 AM PDT