Profile for K. Olsen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Olsen RSS Feed (USA)

Aurorae Yoga Mats - Ultra Thick, Extra Long with Focal point Icon and Illuminating Colors. SGS approved Free from Phthalates and Latex. All products guaranteed. Midnight
Offered by AURORAE
Price: $44.95
2 used & new from $35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first mat, May 31, 2013
I've had this mat for a little over a year, used it about once a week on average, and I really like it.

Thickness--nice and cushy to pad the knees in a low lunge, but not so cushy that the balancing poses are compromised.

Stickiness--When I am first starting sometimes I slip in down dog, but that's only if my feet and hands are really dry. I haven't had slipping problems once I start to warm up. I haven't had problems with slipping when I get sweaty, and I tend to do fairly intense yoga in a room that's heated to about 90 degrees. It's toasty but not a sauna in there. The gym I go to also has rubber yoga mats and I can't stand them compared to this mat. Those mats are so sticky that if my toes catch going from forward fold to chataranga, or doing a jump through from down dog to sitting, it messes me up. This mat is not so sticky that I can't fix those things, my feet never "catch" on it in those situations.

Smell--none to speak of. I do not remember if there was a smell when I first got it. The rubber mats at the gym, however, wreak and all of my skin smells like rubber after using them. Needless to say, I try to bring my own mat whenever possible.

Durability--After about a year of regular use, you can expect this mat to break down enough to need replacement.

Color selection--can't beat it! I have the orange one and love it!

Weight--Pretty good, not too heavy to carry around, although I usually just leave it in my car trunk all the time and carry it in to the gym. I'm not traveling with it in luggage or anything.

Overall--recommended! I have been very happy with it, although as I see myself practicing yoga for a very long time, I plan for my next (and last) mat to be a Manduka.

Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Vitamin D3 2000 I.U. 600 Softgels,  Bottle
Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Vitamin D3 2000 I.U. 600 Softgels, Bottle
Offered by JUST_4_U
Price: $13.99
68 used & new from $6.80

1.0 out of 5 stars They're perfectly sized...., June 12, 2012
...for getting lodged in your throat. I never had an issue with taking pills until I had these, but they are tiny and the exact size of my windpipe, so they are super easy to choke on. It's nearly happened several times already, and I'm ready to toss the whole bottle for my safety. Next time I will look for something that is normal pill-sized.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2013 7:46 AM PST

9" La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low Carb Tortillas (Large Size)
9" La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low Carb Tortillas (Large Size)
Offered by CarbSmart - Low Carb, Sugar Free, & Diabetic Market
Price: $9.95
4 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE them!!, July 16, 2010
These things are the best. I get them at my local grocery store, but if they ever stop carrying them I'd probably order from somewhere else like Amazon. Where else can you get nearly 100% of your day's fiber by slapping two tortillas together and making a cheese quesadilla in the microwave? One minute later and ka-bam! I've now had a high fiber diet for that day! Want even more fiber? Toss some beans into that quesedilla! Do they taste like a normal corn tortilla? NO...but they taste just fine (it's mostly a texture difference...these are smoother and not as granular/cake/flour like as a normal corn or flour tortilla) and will turn nearly any variety of unhealthy compliment (i.e. cheddar cheese, etc.) into something that's not too bad for you! Looking at the ingredients, it looks like they're getting most of the fiber content from oat fiber, so that explains why these don't taste overly wheat-like.

Inspired By... The Bible Experience: New Testament
Inspired By... The Bible Experience: New Testament
by Inspired By Media Group
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $35.60
76 used & new from $12.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but..., December 23, 2007
After reading many positive reviews for this product, I felt sure that it would be a good purchase. I've listened to the whole New Testament now and I have to say that I am disappointed with this volume's interpretation. I love the idea of actors portraying the Bible to make it more accessible, but I guess the downside of having actors portray it is that they will interpret it in their own way. I found the person portraying Jesus to come across as overly preachy and at times even mean-spirited, and Paul talked too fast for me to believe in his character--he spoke so fast throughout the CDs that he sounded overly scripted.

Love Without End: Jesus Speaks
Love Without End: Jesus Speaks
by Glenda Green
28 used & new from $15.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...., February 5, 2006
I was raised agnostic/atheist and spent my whole life wishing I could have spiritual fulfillment, but doubting that it even existed. I read all about Christianity (and other religions), had countless people counsel me and attempt to "convert" me, but NOTHING could change my default setting from atheist/agnostic to "there definitely is a god, and s/he/it is inherent to all of existence." I even read most of the Bible, including all of the gospels and a good portion of the Old Testament. I couldn't get much out of any of those because they just seemed too distant and removed from MY experience of reality.

This book changed that. It removed all of my doubts and gave me a faith in God, grounded in reality. It totally convinced me that there IS room in this world for science and religion to coexist, and that both are entirely intertwined. Whereas the Bible explains events that happened, this book explains the mechanisms by which all of those events could have taken place. It uses concrete language to literally explain HOW God could work.

Whether or not you believe that Green actually had an encounter with Jesus, the insights and explanations contained in this book will change your life.

UPDATE: It has been several years since I first read this book. While I definitely have my doubts as to the authenticity of Green's encounter and I have since found some ideas, etc., in this book on which I disagree, I still have to credit this book with having an overall positive influence on my life and somehow accomplishing what countless "witnesses" were not able to accomplish. Many readings I have done since (several times through the Bible, various other readings in religion and philosophy) have had the same underlying themes as (or are at least compatible with) Green. Whether or not Green's account is real, I give it credit for neatly wrapping up all of these ideas in a nice, understandable package.

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
by Lance Armstrong
1185 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational story, up close and personal., March 20, 2005
Armstrong's story is something you would expect to see in a fiction tale...the fact that he lived through all of it in real life is a true inspiration. "It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life" is very well-written and, just like Armstrong likes to live his life, very fast-paced and intense. Even if you are not an athlete or a cancer patient, I highly recommend this book because its story has the power to motivate and inspire anyone to truly live life and be the best person that they can be.

Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & Camping Skills For A Wilderness Environment (Allen & Mike's Series)
by Allen O'Bannon
Price: $11.76
120 used & new from $1.60

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is almost as fun as backpackin' itself!, March 20, 2005
This book has great illustrations and it is entertaining the whole way through...some guidebooks turn into a death march to read cover-to-cover, but I read this whole thing in a few hours! It's a great place to start if you haven't done much backpackin'...If you've already done tons, it will still probably give you some good ideas and a good laugh. If you are looking for an introductory backpacking book, I highly recommend this one.

Book of Tells: How to Read People's Minds from Their Actions
Book of Tells: How to Read People's Minds from Their Actions
by Peter Collett
36 used & new from $7.42

4.0 out of 5 stars I notice things I never would have noticed before, August 30, 2004
"Tells" are actions which reveal valuable information about what people are really thinking or feeling. They are used regularly when playing poker, but Peter Collett takes it a step farther and applies the usefulness of "Tells" to everyday life. He talks about tells used to show dominance, submissiveness, sexual signals, tells used while smoking, political tells, international tells, etc.

I picked up this book at a Waterstones in the UK; It's a shame that it's not readily available on the US version of amazon.com because I found it to be a really interesting read. At times, the author became repetitive or stated the obvious, but this book was packed with tons of little interesting facts. It was a fairly quick read, and quite rewarding and entertaining as well because each time I would pick it up, I could find people around me who were using postures or other "Tells" that had just been described in the book. I'm now much more aware of the signals that I send out as well as those that others send out. Recognizing and deciphering these tells adds a whole new dimension to every social interaction/observation I have. Of course, this book won't teach you to read minds, but when accompanied with good sense and intuition it can make your life a little bit more fun.