Profile for Samanthia Noble > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Samanthia Noble RSS Feed (Oxford, Ohio United States)

The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
The Lorax (Classic Seuss)
by Dr. Seuss
Price: $10.22
250 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Dr. Seuss Book, April 19, 2002
It's not The Cat in the Hat. This Dr. Seuss book has a message. Believe it or not, the first time I was exposed to The Lorax was in my undergraduate Ecology course. It tells a story of greed and excess. It also shows that what we do impacts the environment and other species. The Lorax pops in now and then to remind the greedy Onceler that he is cutting down too many trees, destroying other animals homes, and polluting the air and water to boot. However, his message isn't well received and finally the last tree falls. It is only at the end the the Onceler realizes his mistake, but is powerless to act. It is up to you. "Unless someone like you care a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." It is important to note though that it is all done in typical Dr. Seuss fashion, with rhyming and nonsensical words that makes his work so popular with kids. I would have to agree that this may be the most important Dr. Seuss book ever.

Just a Dream
Just a Dream
by Chris Van Allsburg
Price: $17.05
221 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, April 19, 2002
This review is from: Just a Dream (Hardcover)
This book has stuningly beautiful pictures and a powerful message. Too many of us (children and adults alike) see the future as a place of robots and convience items. This story paints two outlooks on the future. One where nobody cares about the environment and pollution is at critical levels, and one where there is clean air to breathe and people are still happy even if they don't have futuristic gadets. Very nicely done. It keeps the message clear so children can understand.

The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest
The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest
by Lynne Cherry
Price: $24.25
44 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures with a beautiful message., September 22, 2001
My son and I love this book. We received it as a prize at an Earth Day celebration and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I love the beautiful pictures and my son loves it when I make up voices for each of the animals. I feel good about reading this book to him, because the message is clear. We live on a planet with many cultures and many other living creatures. We should respect that. I have gone out to check out other books by Lynne Cherry and love them all. But The Great Kapok Tree remains my favorite.