Profile for Best Dressed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Best Dressed RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
This is 40
This is 40

1.0 out of 5 stars WOW... this is... bad!, May 10, 2013
This review is from: This is 40 (Amazon Instant Video)
I should preface this review by noting that I typically love Judd Apatow films, Leslie Mann, Paul Rudd--you get it. I rented this movie and couldn't even finish it. I was so bored (and partially terrified) that I decided to take a midday nap, rather than watch another minute of this disaster. 30 minutes and 1 star are both far too generous in this case.

Thermal Spa UV Auto Gel Light Nail Dryer
Thermal Spa UV Auto Gel Light Nail Dryer
Offered by Quick E Shop
Price: $60.31
11 used & new from $59.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Two bulbs out after two uses..., April 5, 2013
First, the good. The size is ideal--big enough for both feet/hands. Shipping was prompt. It dries my CND Shellac well (when all bulbs are functioning).

Now, for the bad. It's clearly a cheaply made machine--certainly not comparable to the machines used at salons (or the more expensive ones available on Amazon). Literally, during the second use, two of the three lights died. If I fidget with it, I can get two out of three to work, but it's spotty. Even though it was inexpensive, I didn't expect it to work so shoddily. It's too large to return at this point, so I plan on looking for some replacement bulbs. Next time I'll splurge on the CND machine.

Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit, 14 Ounce
Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit, 14 Ounce
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $47.00
24 used & new from $42.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Wax... BAD! Everything else... okay., April 5, 2013
Okay, this review is based solely on the wax itself, not on the other components. As somebody who's been getting hard waxes for several years now, I find this particular wax horrible and extremely painful. Some time ago, I purchased the smaller hard wax kit for sensitive skin (the wax was a light green color) in order to save time and $100 month I normally spent at the salon. I loved that wax, but wasn't happy with the fact that I had to keep returning to the microwave to reheat. So, I ordered this. The heater/lotions/etc. are all great, but the wax leaves a lot to be desired. I have experimented three times with different temperatures and techniques, hoping it would produce better results, but no. One, it doesn't pull out much hair--of course, you should expect to tweeze a few stubborn hairs after a wax, but with what this leaves behind, you cannot tweeze--far too much hair, even after multiple passes. Worse, it tends to break once you rip, leaving very small patches that must be ripped off separately--very, very painful. I'm confident that it's not user error, because I've used other wax varieties with no issues. Perhaps this particular one just doesn't agree with my skin? Either way, I will NOT be using this wax again. I hope to find a jar full of the green stuff I used to use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 4:28 PM PDT

Tonight You're Mine
Tonight You're Mine

1.0 out of 5 stars Who's rating this movie?!, January 5, 2013
There are no words. I literally couldn't get past the 30 minute mark. It's horrible in every aspect. I thought, based on the reviews, this no-name movie could be good, but let me assure you, it is not.

Gigi Brazilian Bikini Wax Microwave Kit, 16 Ounce
Gigi Brazilian Bikini Wax Microwave Kit, 16 Ounce
Offered by BEAUTY IT IS
Price: $14.54
25 used & new from $11.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for in-between spa visits!, December 18, 2012
Normally I get waxed at a local spa, but occasionally don't have the time to get in before vacation/an event/etc., so I wanted this for those times. I only got waxed a week ago, so I couldn't use it down there, but did try it on my BF's stomach (LOL) and my thighs. I would say that it works really well for a do-it-yourself wax. I had to play with the temperature a bit--ended up needing to heat it for almost 90 seconds, then broke the barrier gently to avoid the burns some other people experienced. I had no issues with this.

The 4 creams included seemed to work really well (though I haven't tried the growth minimizer yet). The wax took out a good deal of hair and was really quite easy to use (even my BF wanted to get in the fun). I deducted one star because it's so super messy, but this is more user-error than product-error! I think as I practice, I'll get better at keeping the wax IN the container and not everywhere else.

**Edit to add: A couple weeks after my normal spa visit, I had some fine hairs in my bikini region. I attempted to wax myself, which wasn't too difficult at all, and did get some hairs out, yes, but it's not AS good as my wax tech/spa wax at removing the very fine, blonde hairs.

Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
Price: $26.99
57 used & new from $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pancakes? What are those?!, December 17, 2012
This waffle maker is so awesome! Previously, we'd make pancakes on a griddle (I think that's what is is, anyway), but found it messy and hated tending to the pancakes, guessing when to flip.

This thing--at a great price, no less--makes delicious waffles with none of the guess work! Basically, you pour your waffle mix into the center of the plate (directions say 1/4 cup, but that caused overflow, so we proceeded to do just 1/3 cup, which was perfect), close the lid, and wait for the light to turn green (~1 minute)... and voila, you have a perfect waffle that leaves no remnants behind on the waffle plate. We used the standard recipe on the waffle box (just a random brand from Safeway), but I added some ground psyllium husk to mine, which blended/cooked perfectly. I suspect you could also add chocolate chips, blue berries, raisins, anything.

I deducted one star (or .5) because the top plate feels a little loose to me--not a deal breaker, but I wish it was a bit more sturdy. Although, for the price, you can't really beat it! I suspect we'll use this quite often--it's quick, easy to clean (just wipe down with a damp paper towel) and produces heaps of delicious, light, fluffy waffles!

Ted
Ted

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Bad Bad, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Ted (Amazon Instant Video)
I was looking forward to seeing this movie, but never got around to seeing it in theaters. Needless to say, I started it last night and wasn't able to finish it. Listen, I don't mind this type of comedy--that isn't the problem. This is just a bad movie, and I personally did not find it one bit funny. The accents are bad (Wahlberg-bad Boston, Ted-Peter from Family Guy) and honestly, the only real story is a man's boyhood attachment to his teddy bear, which is a washed up celebrity able to talk, move, and think like a human. Everybody is trying too hard (Wahlberg, Seth M., Mila Kunis, and even Joel McHale, who I normally like). Obviously some people enjoyed this movie--I just found it incredibly stupid and 100% not funny.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2012 6:02 PM PST

ASICS Women's Gel-Noosa Tri 7 Running Shoe,Electric Purple/White/Sun,9 M US
ASICS Women's Gel-Noosa Tri 7 Running Shoe,Electric Purple/White/Sun,9 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars So cool!, November 6, 2012
These are awesome, as expected! They're super-colorful, comfortable, and another quality shoe by ASICS. I deducted a single star because I wish the netting in front was backed by some material (the netting is not backed by anything, so you can see your socks right through the top). It's not a deal breaker though. I'll enjoy wearing these!

Esperanza Rising
Esperanza Rising
by Pam Munoz Ryan
Price: $6.00
624 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Esperanza Rising (Paperback)
I read this as part of my graduate studies in children's literature--loved it! It's a great read for children, depicting the difficult lives of immigrants to America.

Marcelo In The Real World
Marcelo In The Real World
by Francisco X. Stork
Price: $8.54
125 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Boring..., July 12, 2012
I read this book for my graduate study in children's literature and found it rather boring. I think Marcelo's perspective is an interesting one, though I'd prefer the author further develop his relationship with Jasmine. To me, this was just extremely boring, with no real climax.

Page: 1 | 2