Profile for CTY > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CTY "CTY" RSS Feed (Blacksburg, VA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Yochi Hematite Gunmetal Faceted Glass Bead Earrings
Yochi Hematite Gunmetal Faceted Glass Bead Earrings
Price: $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and light, much better than the picture!, January 2, 2015
I received these as a gift off my wish list, and they were one of my favorite gifts this Christmas! My mother gave them to me, and we both agreed they are far more elegant in person than in the picture. They are very sparkly and have a iridescent quality that doesn't come across in the photo. They are also a nice size if you like largeish hoops but they are also very lightweight and won't weigh down your earlobes. They are the hematite or gunmetal type of gray that is darker and a bit more unique than polished/matte silver. Finally, they came in a nice hinged gift box inside another nice outer box, both made of a sueded navy cardboard which made for a nice gift presentation.

Sterling Silver Diamond-Cut Christmas Tree Earrings
Sterling Silver Diamond-Cut Christmas Tree Earrings
Offered by Beaux Bijoux
Price: $19.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty little holiday earrings, beautiful box!, January 2, 2015
I received these as a gift off my wish list and they are lovely! They're fairly small/delicate but I like that they are pretty and light without being over the top. They look like they are good quality also and will last many years. They came in a beautiful Tiffany-blue box with a white ribbon on top, which I'm sure drives the cost up but makes a lovely presentation for gift-giving.

Prodyne K-4-S Stainless Steel Cheese Knives, Set of 4
Prodyne K-4-S Stainless Steel Cheese Knives, Set of 4
Price: $14.75
14 used & new from $14.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive cheese knife set, January 2, 2015
These were on my wish list and I got them for Christmas - hooray! They are very pretty and look just like the picture (I got the stainless steel version). I think this will suit my needs for entertaining and they meet/exceed my expectations but I gave them 4 stars just because some sets at a similar price have 5 knives instead of 4. Also the box they came in would not be good for storing them. Overall I'm still very pleased with them!

Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less
Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing groundbreaking but decent food for thought, January 2, 2015
I was a bit overwhelmed... Most of the tips are pretty much common sense, although if you are the type of person who really likes to write things down and follow a structured methodology like Franklin Covey in life, you may find it beneficial. I read it a few months ago and it was good for making me think a bit more about how I start my day and little tasks that can help me stay more organized, but I have not really found any of the advice so useful that I am still thinking of it or using it today. Maybe the only thing is I try to do all my "maintenance" activities all in a row and quickly (brushing teeth in the morning, drinking water, making smoothie, taking vitamins, etc.) whenever possible. I may revisit my highlights in the book occasionally if I am feeling overwhelmed by work or home responsibilities to get some ideas, but I didn't find that I learned anything significant based on my first read.

It's So Easy: and other lies
It's So Easy: and other lies
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and motivating, January 2, 2015
I was pretty young when GN'R released their 1st album, but I loved many of their songs. I didn't know much about the band members though and could only name a couple before reading this (and Duff wasn't one of them). I chose this book bc it was one of the highest rated non-fiction books on Amazon. I found the story riveting - he is a talented storyteller and just kind of an amazing person in general. His personality shines through, and his balance of humor, humility, wisdom, and compassion is very special and unique. He is a person who has put a tremendous amount of thought and work into becoming the very best person he can be. I also thought it was very inspiring, if you've been thinking of pushing yourself to tackle a challenge like going back to school or getting sober, I highly recommend reading this to help light a fire under you and motivate you. It was a coincidence that I finished this on New Year's Day, but it was the perfect book to help me start this year with a positive and hopeful frame of mind. It was an emotional ride and I teared up a few times but overall it was very uplifting and I'm so happy that his story has such a happy ending. I am a fan now and will be curious to seek out some of his articles - I'll likely read this book again at some point and I'd surely read any other books he writes.

stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, Intense Black
stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, Intense Black
Price: $20.00
5 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally found the perfect eye liner!, July 11, 2014
I have tried well over 50 kinds of eye liner between $8 and $50 price points. The hood of my eyebrow is low so my eyelid/eyelashes are always rubbing against the area under my eyebrow, and I've stopped wearing eyeliner completely because I could not find one that did not rub off and leave a 2nd smudge line under my brow. It doesn't help at all that I have oily skin. I tried this product based on the reviews, and I'm thrilled! As long as I give it a few seconds to dry before opening my eye completely, it doesn't budge all day! I don't have any problems removing it when washing my face either. I will never need to try another kind of eye liner again!

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3)
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3)
Price: $6.38

2.0 out of 5 stars I was conflicted..., May 4, 2014
For those of you that watched Dexter, you'll understand why this made me feel nearly the same way as the Dexter series finale. It's not that I expected everything to be tied up neatly in a bow for the heroes and they would all sail happily into the sunset, but I thought the ending of a great saga and the death of many beloved characters was handled in a haphazard and disconnected way.

Don't continue if you don't want spoilers. I kind of appreciated that Katniss realized in the end that she had just facilitated he ascent of another ruthless leader/government, one that was possibly more cold and vicious than the last. It sucked that they did it at Prim's expense and I wish they had not gone there, but there was real meaning behind it. I thought the way Katniss falls apart at the end was also fair considering what she has been through.

What I did not get or appreciate was how nonchalant the story was about the deaths of other significant characters, including the team with Katniss at the end and especially Finnick. The gratuitous descriptions of young children being murdered was a lot too, and I wonder how they'll manage those in the movie version. I kept thinking it would be worth it in the end because Katniss would be the one to capture/kill Snow at the end and overtake the Capitol, but their whole final crusade ended up being a big waste of time and good people. Even Snow's death at the end, which should have been one of the climaxes of the entire saga like Vader's death in Return of the Jedi, was sneezed away carelessly.

Overall, it had some merits but I felt it was a disappointing end to a riveting story and deep characters that we have become attached to.

Men's Stainless Steel Byzantine Chain Bracelet, 8"
Men's Stainless Steel Byzantine Chain Bracelet, 8"
Price: $13.53

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought 3..., March 30, 2014
I saw this pop up in Amazon recommended purchases. I'm familiar with the byzantine chain and I know it's usually expensive. I ordered for myself, and was so pleased with the quality and packaging that I ordered 2 more as gifts. Great deal!

Into Thin Air
Into Thin Air
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and heartbreaking, March 30, 2014
This review is from: Into Thin Air (Kindle Edition)
I was fortunate enough to snag the Kindle copy of this book at my library, and tore through it in less than a week (and a very busy week, I might add). I was mostly fascinated by the concept, as I am a very risk-averse person who would never dream of sky-diving, bungee-jumping, etc. especially now that I am a mother. I am fascinated by people who undertake life-endangering adventures as a pleasure, especially when they have spouses, children, and other loved ones.
In a way, I was disappointed that the book didn't take a narrative approach in events where Krakauer wasn't present (many of the survival efforts of other climbers), as it seemed possible based on communications and witness accounts, but I realize it was necessary for the integrity of the book. You basically hear the beginning and end of most of the climbers' stories, with smatterings of mid-point anecdotes for some of the climbers, but Krakauer reports only what the observed specifically (or perceived to have observed in his altitude sickness) which leaves a lot to the imagination about what happened with some of the others. He adds some things late in the story or in the prologue that were reported by other climbers when he interviewed them afterward. It seemed to be an earnest attempt to provide an honest and unbiased account of the events that broke the hearts of hundreds of loved ones, friends, and fans. Krakauer actually seems to be publicly flogging himself for not doing more to save others, I feel for him but can understand from the story how everyone was barely conscious when things got extra rough. It was particularly interesting to hear how the international press responded to the various climbers' deaths, the shocking recovery of ***SPOILER**** Beck Weathers, and the Sherpa comments on respecting the mountain or suffering the consequences. I pray for peace for all involved in the tragedy.

Decor Grates ST410 Scroll Floor Register, Textured Black, 4-Inch by 10-Inch
Decor Grates ST410 Scroll Floor Register, Textured Black, 4-Inch by 10-Inch
Price: $8.06
8 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, as advertised, March 22, 2014
These look great in my home, I have a lot of "antiqued brass" (aka black) lighting fixtures, and these complement them nicely. It dressed up my main floor after I upgraded the hard wood and tile. Many visitors have commented on them. Just be sure to actually measure, the 4x10 and 4x12 covers look very similar, and I had a mix of both on my main floor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6