Profile for Sparkle girl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sparkle girl RSS Feed (Birmingham Alabama)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A birds eye view of HER Life with Elvis, September 3, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. I have read quite a few books written by Elvis' close associates, girlfriends, maid, even the one by Larry Geller many years ago, the one by Ed Parker, and the one by Linda Thompson's fellow beauty pageant friend. So I am very interested, but no expert.

I highly anticipated this book, and credit Ginger for finally telling her side of the story. One thing I have noticed is that many Elvis books seem to contradict each other, even those written by his two maids. Each author feels his/her story was THE story and that they knew Elvis best.

As a woman, I found parts of this book almost thrilling, as if I was beside Ginger as she boarded the cold plane that took her to Las Vegas for her first date with Elvis (some first date!). As I progressed through the book, I began to feel as if even I as a mature woman would have had problems handling Elvis, much less as a 20 year old girl.

Ginger had some things stacked against her with the folks at Graceland. I had the pleasure to meet Linda Thompson along with her then husband, Bruce Jenner, when they were appearing in a play together in my home city. She stands very high in my estimation, so I understand why the guys as Graceland liked her so much and preferred Linda to Ginger.

I am surprised at some of the vehement reviews toward this book and Ginger. Having read some of them, and refreshing my memory of Ms. Rook's book, if indeed Vernon told her to Ginger out, she wasn't welcome, after Elvis' death, although I know he was upset, that was rude treatment.

In addition, I was very surprised to find out the car he gave Ginger was still in his name, ie on the car title. That is not a gift, it's a loan/usage. Elvis probably assumed it had been taken care of.

In fact, some of Elvis wishes, in my opinion were not carried though. It was his intention to pay the mortgage on Ginger's mother's house, and his attorney did not proceed in a timely manner. However, a promise or intention is not legally binding. But in my opinion, it was morally binding. In the old south your word was your bond. I had a relative who promised his tenant he would sell him the house for a certain amount. Several years later the tenant wanted to purchase the house at the "told" price. Even though the house was worth more, the relative had given "his word" and sold at the told price. Today's world would call him a fool, but in my growing up Alabama world that was called "honor".

I still remember the controversy years ago when Mrs. Alden filed suit against the estate. Now that I am older, wiser, with several years in the law field, I have a very different view. I am not an estate expert, but I do understand why she had to take legal action to ensure that her mortgage was paid. Other people/employees/relatives assumed (or were promised) they would be "taken care of" but that was not the case. It is my understanding while there were many millions in Elvis' estate, there was a "cash flow" problem.

Still I can't help but feel something could have been worked out to pay the mortgage off. However, a fiancée is not same as a wife, or an ex-wife who is the mother of Elvis' only child, so Ginger's family issues were pretty much no longer a consideration.

I found the book readable, enjoyable and should be taken as GINGER'S account. In almost every book written by one of Elvis' women, I feel some of what really happened with left out, and that what did happen was written as tactfully as could be done and still relate "her" truth.

It very well may be true that Elvis was going to break up with Ginger. But to paraphrase Mammy from Gone with the Wind "what a man says and what a man does is two different things"!!

Finally, as I read the book I thought that the ghost writer, or co-author was doing a very good job relating Ginger's thoughts and feeling. I was surprised to find the she wrote it herself. It certainly had good editorial polish.

The Tribute Bride
The Tribute Bride
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Anglo Saxon historical heroine fiction, July 22, 2014
This review is from: The Tribute Bride (Kindle Edition)
Often times I read a review and the sentences are few. "This was a good book". Ok, what makes a book good?

For my taste, one of the things is starting out strong and fast. This book starts out in the first chapter with a flood in the main Hall within the first few pages. Talk about action! This gets it going and it moves well from there.

I am always interested in this period and good historical about women in that era are hard to find compared to say, the Tudor era. Theresa Tomlinson knows her history and its felt in subtle ways like casting of the runes to determine outcomes of situations.

The main heroine is give in "tribute" as a "peaceweaver" to the overlord. The author does a good job of showing how she adapts as best she can to her circumstances of being given in marriage to someone she's never met, heard bad things about and has to leave her home. It's all suddenly thrust upon her due to flood in the first chapter that has totally ruined the crops her father the king has to give to his overlord.

Interwoven throughout the book is the feeling of being in perilous times, of one king wanting more territory invading another, shifting alliances, etc.

Some authors give good dialogue, some good descriptions, etc. What I look for is what are they eating what are they wearing how are they feeling? Also, how authentic is the feel, is the verbiage to the times? This book scores high in all categories in my opinion.

Its also interesting the author created pretty much the whole plot out of her mind because there just a few sentences about Acha in history or in the author's own words "the sources and firm historical facts are sparse".

An enjoyable read for me.

Pageants, Parlors, and Pretty Women: Race and Beauty in the Twentieth-Century South
Price: $16.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had expected 3.5, May 18, 2014
At the time I bought this book, the "look Inside" feature had not been set up. Perhaps I would had a better idea of the language and structure if it had been. Even now, the Kindle sample of most books is so short it's hard to form an opinion.

So I only had the book cover and small blub description to go by. I thought it would begin around 1950s as the cover illustrates. The actual text consists of time periods that go back as far as the early 1900s and even includes baby pageants.

In addition, I personally don't care for long paragraphs which make up most of the book. They make reading slower and sometimes contain information that can broken up into several different thoughts as to make for a smoother flow of reading pleasure. This book is written like a doctorial thesis, including a lot of references. Having a degree in social sciences, it reminds me of the textbooks I read vs. smooth commercial nonfiction. So I writing this review to let purchasers know.

On the other hand, the material is related well, and interesting to those of us who would be attracted to the subject matter. I would tend to give that more of a 4.

However I must take strong issue with some of the author's material about Mary Kay Ash. I have always been interested in women who have made fortunes off of beauty and cosmetics such as Helena Rubenstein, Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder and have read biographies and auto biographies about these women. Madam C J Walker is surely the queen of the self made woman, and I have read almost every book written about her.

That's why when the author states Mary Kay Ash "never publically acknowledged her debt to the black pioneers" I was flabbergasted. Blain Roberts says Ash may never have known about them. That's probably closer to the truth.

Mary Kay has a lot in common with every black woman--except one--that I have asked "have you heard of Madam C J Walker?" I have asked maybe twenty or so black women I felt comfortable asking, from age 20ish to 70ish who attended primarily black schools. Only one knew of her, and that was from her own reading, like mine. There are several books in the local library about Madam. So as I became interested in Madam myself, it was astonishing to me that hardly any of these ladies had heard of such an incredible woman. I found it hard to fathom that it wasn't even taught in connection to black history.

I have also read as much as I can about Mary Kay who shrouded her personal history quite well. Consider that she was born in Texas in the early part of the 19th century and attended segregated white schools. She married out of high school. She worked in direct sales and moved up the ladder to become a training manager. She worked long hours and traveled a lot. Exactly how when and where was she supposed to have picked up the knowledge of Madam C J Walker?

I grant that the author probably doesn't know the life history of Mary Kathryn Wager. (I recommend Ask Me About Mary Kay.) Even so I think the author does Mary Kay Ash an injustice to even impute an omission of recognition. Mary Kay was a hungry ambitious woman who took Dale Carnige four times and devoured self help books like Think and Go Rich. Brownie Wise she might know of; Madam C J Walker, no.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 12:52 PM PDT

In Pink
In Pink
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, March 10, 2014
This review is from: In Pink (Kindle Edition)
I recommend this book to get a view of the early years of mary kay cosmetics. As i read this book i thought the absolute difference it made to have a Very supportative husband to the success of Doretha career. Her sharp business acumen and ability to focus on those who wanted to get ahead comes through but again i say if her husband had been a different sort i really dont believe she would have gotten to nsd.

The Forbidden Queen
The Forbidden Queen
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the sequel to the agincourt bride!, February 26, 2014
I eagerly purchased this book thinking it was the sequel. If you will check out the agincourt bride you will see why i was mislead. Gee same model same clothes same scroll like design on the edges of the cover.
Did i mention same subject?

I have asked amazon for a refund. I am placing this here for someone else who may have read the other book as i did.

If there was a way to leave a post without having to rate the book i would. Based on most of the reviews this seems a fair rate.

I havent read the book and dont intend too. Shame on whoever selected such similar cover art. Its hard enough to be cautious making sure you dont buy a reprint.

30 for 30: The Price of Gold
30 for 30: The Price of Gold
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tonya never got the recognitation she deserved, February 12, 2014
Tonya was one of the sports greatestjumpers. When i was watching her back in the day i didnt know how special her triple axle was. Even today, as i write this the jumps have gotten more complex and difficult. , but only one female skater in the world is attempting a triple, and only a handful have completed one. For me seeing her skate again and measuring her jumps against todays ladies, she still impresses by the sheer height she obtains. She belongs in the collection of what i call the powerhouse skaters.

Thats why i enjoyed this program so much it showed a good deal of tonyas skating.

BABY NAMES - Why They Count
BABY NAMES - Why They Count
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, November 26, 2013
I am posting this review because i disagree with the one posted. When deciding a name this book will help you with understand first name numerology. It is uncannilly acurate at least i have found it to be with the people i know.

I dont agree with every name definition. The author is somewhat chauvinistic because he thinks being homeloving is the best thing for a woman. I think in this day and time a woman needs more than a little business smarts.

Another book in this line is called miracle of names.

The Ivy Crown
The Ivy Crown
by Mary Luke
44 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definative Biographical Historial on Katherine Parr, July 5, 2013
This review is from: The Ivy Crown (Hardcover)
I felt I owed it to the author to at least put down a few words of how really good this book is. It's almost like a play by play of her life and the historical content is so rich detailed etc. I found it almost by accident because the title is not as descriptive as some like "queen's this or queen's that". Not short, not for everyone, but one of my all time favorites, and I think the way historical book are written now, there will never been another as well done as this one.

5 star worthy

Venus in Winter: A Novel of Bess of Hardwick
Venus in Winter: A Novel of Bess of Hardwick
by Gillian Bagwell
Price: $14.40
49 used & new from $1.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Tudor tale but not my Bess 3.5, July 5, 2013
It was hard for me to find a way to review this book. I acknowledge from the first that I am a fan of Bess, have read all the books referenced by the author, even the old 1900 one in fact I own two of them, David's and Mary's. Bess of Hardwick is one of my all time favorite women of history. So I am biased in my review by my own formulation of the heroine.

The feeling of time and place is good and the dialogue is well done. If I was an ordinary reader without my background opinion of Bess, and the further readership of both Jan Westcott's and Virginia Henley's books about Bess, I would have enjoyed it more. If you have read a lot of Tudor books of the time period lately, nothing new here but well done in how it moves events.

Now as to the character, my Bess is a woman of beauty, wit and charm, intelligent, plus tough as nails. Here's a quote that I have read several places from a letter she wrote to her steward concerning making sure enough beer was brewed:

"And see that I have a good store of it, for if I lack either good beer or charcoal or wood, I will blame nobody so much as I will do you."

I bet she got her beer!

In addition I am paraphrasing as I write this, but a courtier who had heard of Bess' reputation meet her in her older years and said of her "great wit and charm" that "much of it still remainth". !!!

Bess, to me, just doesn't have that sparkle here. Part of it is we don't get a lot of description of her looks or clothes throughout the book as I have read in similar types of historical biographies. In fact, during her wedding night, her new husband, takes down her hair. Not her glorious red tresses or her shining locks. Just hair.

I would have written "her glorious red hair fell to her shoulders in a shimmering wave." OK, maybe overdone, but
that's the kind of book I like if it's going to be a biographical historical. Play up the character, let her essence come through. That's more like Virginia Henley's portrayal of Bess in Woman of Passion. It is a totally different kind of book, not as serious as this one, but Virginia's portrait of Bess is far more in line with mine.

Let's face it Bess had to have something to get those titled men! She went from being a gentleman farmer's daughter to a peeress of the land.

Mary Lowell, whose book Bess of Hardwick the author consulted, does feel that Bess did not have great beauty but did have extraordinary charm or charisma.

Different authors focus on different things. So read this book and form your own opinion.

The Dowerless Sisters (Bridges Over Time)
The Dowerless Sisters (Bridges Over Time)
by Valerie Anand

4.0 out of 5 stars You might want to consider ordering this book from amazon uk i did, February 9, 2013
This book ends one of the best series i have ever read. In my own personal opinion various parts and sections of the books cn stand head to head with any of the greats. To this day I still remember parts very distinctively and marvel at the authors imagination.

This particular book is not the stronget in the group and i purchased it because it was the concluding one.

Misfit has done a good review above and describes it well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4