Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Zachary Schlieder > Reviews

Browse

Zachary Schlieder's Profile

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Zachary Schlieder RSS Feed (Sheboygan, WI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Marshall M-ACCS-00096 Minor Headphones, Black
Marshall M-ACCS-00096 Minor Headphones, Black
Offered by BuyWise Corp.
Price: $119.99
21 used & new from $76.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The best non-isolating earbud, July 21, 2012
After owning the Marshall Minor headphones for three months, I can finally say I like them a lot. This was not always the case, though.

I wanted a pair of non-isolating earphones so I could listen to music, but would still be aware if someone started talking to me. These are extremely rare, especially since I already tried the PK3 Earbuds, but was disappointed by their durability. The other option for a decent headphone of this type is the Bose IE2 Audio Headphones, which are significantly more expensive.

The comfort of these headphones is heavily dependent on the size if your ears vs. the size of the included pads. When I first tried these, Medium was too small, and let the headphones move around, which irritated my ears. Large was just slightly too big, keeping the headphones in place but rubbing against my ears. This became extremely painful, and cut up the inside of my ears so much that I had to stop wearing these for a week to let my ears heal. At this point, I would have sent them back if it weren't for a few very nice features:
-The fabric cord feels nice, and adds to the durability
-The headphone jack, which is where many of my previous headphones had broken, is covered in metal, which should help with longevity
-The one-button remote/microphone was a huge improvement over not having a remote, allowing me to pause and skip forward and backward on my iPod as well as to answer and take phone calls on my Android phone. If you've never had one, it makes a huge difference.
-The sound was actually good. More on this later.
I stuck it out, and now I can wear the headphones for any length of time without any pain. It took over a month for the rubber pads to soften up, though. Again, you may have a different experience depending on the size and shape of your ears. A friend with similar headphones even uses a different size on each ear.

I enjoy how these headphones sound. They are definitely consumer headphones, rather than audiophile headphones. The bass and treble are increased a bit, as is common. It makes music more fun to listen to, but if you want a perfectly flat, pure sound, I advise you look elsewhere. I had a different experience than some others who have reviewed these headphones, but it may be related to quality control issues with their specific units. Despite the fact that this headphone is non-isolating, bass is fairly good because of the way it is held in place. An added benefit of the speaker placement is that there is very little noise leakage. You won't disturb those around you even when playing music on high volumes, which can be nice.

It's worth noting that these headphones aren't made directly by Marshall, rather they are just branded that way. They are the same as the UrbanEars Medis Headphones Black, One Size, which was surprising the first time I saw someone with a pair. I prefer the design of the Minors, however. They don't look too large in the ear.

I didn't experience issues with either side shorting out as other reviewers mentioned. There may be some luck involved here, but after three months of heavy use, they held up very well.

If you want a non-isolating earbud with some nice features, I recommend this.

ASUS UX32 13-Inch Laptop [2012 model]
ASUS UX32 13-Inch Laptop [2012 model]

4.0 out of 5 stars The practical ultrabook, July 21, 2012
I've been intrigued by ultrabooks since they were first released, but as someone who likes to keep my pictures, videos, and music on one device, I couldn't justify the smaller storage of an ultrabook's SSD. Also, after using an ultraportable laptop for the past few years, missed the ability to play games. The UX32VD is the best choice to meet my needs at the moment, being upgradeable, having a hard drive and a dedicated graphics card without sacrificing ports.

Other reviewers have given a good overview of the laptop's hardware. I think the keyboard is good and the trackpad is fine, especially with tap-to-click turned off. Neither feel like they get in the way of using the computer. The battery life isn't incredible. You'll get something around four hours, depending on what you are doing. The screen is as amazing as everyone says. The color is fantastic, the viewing angles are great, and there is practically no reflection. While not as thin as other ultrabooks, it's still a very thin and light machine.

It is important to note that this laptop is not just the Zenbook Prime UX31 with different internals. The case is different, and is not a unibody. Despite this, there's really no flex in the case, and holding the laptop by a corner doesn't fee like you'll break it. The advantage of the clamshell case is that you can open it, giving you access to one memory slot as well as the HDD. This also gives space for a very useful array of ports.

I didn't use the included software before reformatting the hard drive, so I can't comment on that. If you do plan to reformat and reinstall Windows, be sure to have the USB 3.0 driver on the hard drive before you do, as Windows 7 install discs don't support 3.0 by default.

I was disappointed with the 4 GB of RAM included. Despite the fast Ivy Bridge processor, even web browsing was noticeably sluggish. Based on suggestions here, I installed the Corsair Vengeance Laptop Memory Module 8 GB (1x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 PC3 12800 (CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10). This solved the minor performance issues, and now the machine runs great. For reference, the Windows Experience Index scores are as follows:
Processor 7.1
Memory (RAM) 5.9 (7.1 after upgrading the RAM)
Graphics 6.3
Gaming Graphics 6.3
Primary Hard Disk 5.9
Others have mentioned that the Primary Hard Disk score goes to 7.9 after installing an SSD.

If you are thinking of upgrading this computer, you need a T5 Torx screwdriver. Be careful with this, as the large number of tiny screws and the very small bit means you'll likely end up with a stripped screwdriver or screws. If you are doing this by hand, you may only be able to open the case once or twice, so plan your upgrades carefully.

The dedicated graphics card in this machine may be entry-level, but it is quite capable of playing modern games. Even before upgrading the RAM, it ran Tribes: Ascend very smoothly on Medium settings. After upgrading the RAM, it runs Tribes, Diablo 3, and Portal 2 smoothly at 1080p resolution on Medium, or at lower resolutions on High. This obviously isn't a gaming rig, but is much better at playing games than I expected. With an SSD, it's possible that you could run most games on High at 1080p.

The industrial design of this laptop is generally very good. Despite the way it looks in the picture, the laptop is made of one color of aluminum. The screen bezel, lid and base are the same color, with black keys. If you remove all of the stickers, it looks even better. A very minor issue with the design is the amount of text printed on the case. Below the arrow keys is printed "Audio by Bang & Olufsen ICEpower", and each port is labeled with what it does, so the HDMI port says "HDMI", and each USB port has the USB logo printed next to it. These are strange additions to an otherwise very clean design.

If you are looking for a practical ultrabook with lots of storage, an incredible screen, the ability to run games, and the possibility to upgrade, this is what you want.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 4:52 PM PDT

Sunterra 104506 Table Top Fountain Pump 30 GPH, Black
Sunterra 104506 Table Top Fountain Pump 30 GPH, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Moves a good amount of water for a small device, July 21, 2012
This small pump is surprisingly powerful, and will work well for any sort of small fountain. The small adjustment slider controls the flow, though not to a great extent. The two included nozzles are great for fitting the pump to hoses of various size. The smaller nozzle fit perfectly inside 1/2" (outside diameter) plastic hosing. I could get the pump to drive water about three feet vertically, though it was clearly struggling at that point. The height of the pump requires it to be placed in water more than an inch deep, but if you cover the top half of the intake face, the pump can be used in much shallower water without sputtering. The included suction cups on the bottom of the pump are nice, but be sure to plan for the cord if you are building a fountain, as it is extremely thick and does not bend easily. This is a very versatile pump for home fountains or DIY projects involving water.

ASUS External Slim 8X DVD-RW Stylish Cut Design Optical Drive SDRW-08D2S-U/BLK/G/AS
Offered by 1to3shop-store
Price: $29.99
155 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as well as an internal drive, July 21, 2012
I purchased this to assist with installing software on an ultrabook. It's extremely simple it use. You only need to plug in one of the two USB connectors if you are using USB 2.0 or above, which should be standard on most computers made after 2004. The drive uses a mini-USB to USB cable, so if you don't like the dual connectors, you can replace it with a similar cable. The drive fits nicely under my Asus monitor. The drive was recognized immediately by Windows 7 and Windows 8 RC, as well as by the system BIOS for booting from a disc. The drive does come with DVD playback software, but I recommend using VLC Media Player if you want to use this to watch DVDs. Many of the negative reviews seem to come from people who do not understand how to use this for DVD playback.
I bought this drive because it was the cheapest, and any similar ASUS drive would do the same things. I wish it had a vertical stand to take up less space on my desk, but this is a minor concern. It does everything I want it to do.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2014 11:26 PM PST

Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Price: $10.99
23 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, accurate, works as expected, July 21, 2012
While other uses had varying experiences, I have not run into problems after using this gauge for about a year. If you've used any tire gauge before, it fits onto the valve like you would expect. The illuminated display is a nice touch, and the automatic on/off makes it a remarkably simple device - it turns on when you use it, then turns off. I have not experienced any issues with air leaking or the case deforming. It has stored in a glovebox that can get quite warm. I have also never had to change the batteries, though I only use it a few times per month. It gives the same readings as other tire gauges. While it is very lightweight and a bit plasticky, it also feels sturdy. It makes a good addition to your glovebox.

Griffin PowerJolt Dual Universal Micro, Dual USB Car Charger (5 volts, 1 amp) - Car charger for two USB devices
Offered by Griffin Tech
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and useful, but not with all phones, July 21, 2012
I purchased this product to power my phone for navigation and charge my iPod on extended road trips. The product is exactly the size I wanted, and barely sticks out of the cigarette lighter on my '00 Passat. It is still possible to close the ashtray cover with the device mounted, which is very nice. The ports are far enough apart to use two normal USB cables. As long as they aren't much taller than the Apple USB cable, you should be fine.

The power that the device puts out is complicated, and may not be what is needed for all phones. When using my HTC Desire, the product will barely charge the phone, but when using Google Maps Navigation with the screen on, the battery will slowly discharge, even when it is the only device plugged in. With my Samsung Galaxy S2, however, I can run Navigation on the phone and it will charge just slightly slower than it would if plugged in to AC, even if my iPod is also plugged in.

Your experiences may depend on the device you use with this product, but if what you have works, it's a very handy addition to a car.

Arkon Windshield/Dashboard Mount for Most Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $17.49
8 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for smartphone navigation, July 21, 2012
This product offers a huge range of adjustment which allows it to be useful for mounting almost any smartphone. The build quality isn't perfect, but it has served me well for over a year.

I used this product with an HTC Desire as well as a Samsung Galaxy S2, and both fit well. I recommend using the extended legs, even for smaller smartphones, as the springs are extremely tight if you try to get even a 3.7" phone mounted with the shorter legs. The padded legs are very secure, and your phone won't slide around when mounted. I do have the issue where one of the shorter legs no longer holds properly inside the rails on which they are mounted, causing it to slide freely. This is not a significant issue, however, as it rests on another leg. It has only happened to one leg, but may be an issue if you adjust the legs frequently to fit different phones.

The amount of adjustment is fantastic, allowing for mounting phones at any angle on the windshield, and hold your phone in portrait or landscape mode. The legs adjust to clear buttons and jacks. On the HTC Desire, putting two legs together in the center of the phone allowed access to the lock button and the headphone jack on the top. Putting two legs on the edges of the device allows for access to the USB port. While the device isn't designed to be folded for travel, adjusting it to its smallest size allows it to fit reasonably well in a glovebox.

There were a few instances where the mount fell off the windshield on very hot days, but this appears to be an issue with the properties of suction rather than the design of the device. This is rare thanks to the clip that activates the suction cup.

This device made my phone into a decent GPS unit. It offers a lot for a low price, and I highly recommend it.

Yuin PK3 Earbuds
Yuin PK3 Earbuds
Offered by HJR HEADPHONE SHOP
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $26.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, poor durability, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Yuin PK3 Earbuds (Electronics)
As other reviewers have stated, the PK3s produce some of the best sound you can get from non-isolating earbuds. They do sound very good and have a great soundstage. Durability is an issue, however. The buds are very light and feel fragile, but they held up quite well. The weakness is the point where the cord connects to the jack. My roommate and I both purchased a pair of these at the same time. He abused his pair, wrapping them around his iPod and putting them in his pocket. They became weakened at this point and one channel stopped working after six months. I took better care of them. I never put them in pants pockets or bent the connectors, but the same thing happened to my pair after about nine months. If you use these on the go, they will wear out quickly, but if you just plan to listen at home, I'd recommend stepping up to in-ear headphones.

CBD AC Power Adapter with 8-ft Cord for HP Select Models
CBD AC Power Adapter with 8-ft Cord for HP Select Models
Offered by OPAL
Price: $6.48
64 used & new from $2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Your mileage may vary, April 30, 2011
*UPDATE*
I originally purchased this product in November of 2010, when it was sold by the Shivser Group INC. That charger was great for running my old HP laptop as a server, and worked for one year and seven months before it failed during a power outage. In June of 2012 I purchased a replacement from this product page, which is the same one I used to buy the first charger. The product is now sold by Techorbits, but I expected it to be the same. It was actually quite different in appearance. The performance was also not the same, as the new charger died in two weeks. Power goes into the brick, but never makes it to the computer.

Buying cheap laptop chargers is a bit of a gamble, but my recommendation is to check only the most recent reviews, as older reviews may be for a different product. I also recommend trying a charger other than this one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

How I Met Your Mother: Season 4 [Blu-ray]
How I Met Your Mother: Season 4 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Josh Radnor
Offered by KK MART
Price: $16.99
34 used & new from $3.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent season; questionable Blu-Ray, April 30, 2011
Of all the seasons of HIMYM, I consider 4 to be my favorite. It won't make much sense if you haven't seen the first three, but isn't impossible to pick up at any point. In my opinion, this is when the show hit its peak. That said, the low rating comes from the quality of the Blu-Ray itself. I've had the same issues reported by others, having trouble first on my HP dv5 with Blu-Ray drive, and then on a dedicated Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Occasionally, menus don't show up and can't be used, though the issues are much more severe on the laptop than on the dedicated player. Seeing the show in HD is great, and I'm very disappointed in the quality of the disc. I'd only recommend purchasing this season on Blu-Ray if you have a newer dedicated Blu-Ray player.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4