Profile for Jim Howard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jim Howard "NŘUWY" RSS Feed (Fort Worth, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
URPOWER® Portable Wireless Remote Plug-in Control Doorbell Operating at 900-feet Range with 52 Different Chimes Polyphonic Melodies and Push Button with LED Indicator - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Remote Doorbell with 52 chimes, September 13, 2014
Length:: 3:08 Mins

I installed this and it was working I think in less than 5 minutes! I love that. It is super easy to install. I do not get many visitors but I do get items shipped to me often. The UPS, FedEx and others knock one time and are gone. I think most of them do not even knock they just leave a slip of paper in the door. I suspect they do not find people at home during the day and just come to slip the paper in the door. So I have to listen not only for one faint knock on the door but I have to try and listen for a truck. NOT now.
The button you can install with two-sided tape and that is the way I did it. It is holding. You can also mount it to the door with screws. I live in an apartment so I went with the two sided tape.
You just mount the button on your door or next to it. Then you plug into AC the ringer. That is it. The ringer can go in any room. Since I am in my room 95% of the time I just put the ringer in my room. The ringer is so portable and has a range, they say, of 500 feet that you can move the ringer to a different room if you need to be someplace else like the patio or basement or garage.
There is four levels of volume for the ringer. What is going to blow your mind is that you can choose from 52 chimes. I sort of wish they had not done that. All of them are great. I can not make up my mind which one I want to hear.

One little feature I like about it is the blue indicator light on the button when someone rings the bell. That way know it is working.
The company here on Amazon and in the paper work recommends using the double sided tape for the button as a temporary mount and using the screws. I went with the tape. I think it will hold. I guess I will find out. If over the months and years if the tape has a problem, due to weather, I will just use new tape or I will use the screws.
When you get the unit it comes with everything you need. The URPOWER receiver, the button, screws, adhesive tape, battery and an instruction sheet. All you need now is someone to come to your door.

I was sent this door bell to review by the company.

InnoGear Adjustable Extendable Wireless Bluetooth Monopod Handheld Self Portrait Selfie Stick with Remote Shutter Function for iPhone 4/4s, iPhone 5/5s/5c, Samsung S3 S4, Blackberry, HTC, Sony, LG, Compatble with IOS 4.0/ Android 3.0 or Above System (Black)
Offered by KM Distribution
Price: $15.79
7 used & new from $13.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of the InnoGear Adjustable Extendable Wireless Monopod, August 31, 2014
"This is a review for the InnoGear Wirless Mobile Phone Monopod, Model Z07-5
The box says it works with iphone and Android. I used this with my iphone 4s.

This wireless mobile phone monopod is meant to be used as either a monopod in the traditional photography sense of the word (one leg for you use with your phone to help you stabilize it – you still have to hold the phone or the monopod, it isn’t a free standing tripod) but this particular model is mainly meant to be used as an extension for your arm while taking photos with the iphone. It works well for this. I found it easy to use right out of the box – there are easy five step instructions right on the back of the box.

The iphone is held securely on the top of the monopod. Your phone can be in its case or not (they supply a rubbery piece that can be used if your phone is too small/slim) There isn’t anything actually “attaching” to your phone, your phone just sits in an L shaped plastic groove, and then an adjustable plastic top comes down to secure it. I kept my iphone4s in it’s somewhat bulky Speck case and it fit just fine, but with a smaller/slimmer phone not in a case, you might need to use the rubbery piece. At any rate, your phone can just pop in and out of this easily and there is nothing attached to your phone, and it seems quite secure.

Then the phone can be rotated to face toward you or away from you (so you can use either a front or back facing camera, for a selfie or for a normal shot) and you can even secure it at a up to a 90 degree angle if you wish (or anything in between), to have the phone camera looking slightly up or down. Then – here is where the “wireless” comes in – using Bluetooth you can press the button that’s near the bottom of the monopod in order to take the photo. Here are ways you can use this, all of which I have tried and they work:

* Extend the monopod as little or as much as you like and take a “selfie” where the camera is far away from you. This way your arms won’t be seen reaching out to the camera, like they are in many selfies, and you can get a lot more of the background/scenery of where you are. You can take a selfie or a group shot like this with you in it.
* Extend the monopod all the way and angle the camera 90 degrees. Hold the monopod up above you and take a photo of you or a group and also be able to include what you are standing on (a roof, a mountaintop, etc) You can take full advantage of the iphone’s natural wide-angle lens this way for a really stunning photo in the right environment.
* Do not extend the monopod, or do so only slightly, and use the monopod to help stabilize a shot in low light or where you might otherwise have a hard time holding the camera still. One way to do this would be to kind of laying the monopod across a railing or on something secure.

Additional things that I like about this:
*It is small and lightweight. It is very portable, and if you want it to take up even less space you can easily disassemble and reassemble the two pieces if you want in a matter of second. This is good since usually you will normally use this while outside or traveling.
* The length of extension is very long – it extends up to just over three feet! -- and you can use it anywhere in between (you choose how much to extend it) Do be careful when taking a photo with it fully extended though, it is a very lightweight piece and so there is a tendency when you hold something that long to have some shake at the other end. This shouldn’t be a problem when you have enough light (the iphone camera has a pretty fast shutter), but the further out you extend your camera the more careful you have to be about not taking a shaky photo.
* The Bluetooth battery seems long. I charged mine over 24 hours ago and have been using it off and on all day with no signs of it needing a recharge.
* I didn’t need to do any software to set up the Bluetooth connection. Just found it in my phone’s Bluetooth list, selected it, and then it worked perfectly with my camera. (Just turn on the camera, press the button on the monopod, and you’ve taken a photo!)

The only thing that I’m a little worried about is the quality of the extension metal. As I said, it is very lightweight, which is a plus for something like this that you want portable. But it is a little rough/sticky when extending and retracting it, and it feels a little “flimsy” when fully extended. This is a very useful item, so I just hope that it holds up over time."

I was sent the device for free to review. I own an Android phone. I do not take many photos with it. So I sent the monopod to my grown daughter in Washington DC. She loves her iPhone and takes photos with it all the time. She also travels all over the United States for her job. She wrote the above review for me. She did a much better job that I could have done on the review.

Kootek® Wireless Doorbell Long Range with Two Push Buttons Transmitters,no Batteries Required for Receivers

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT wireless doorbell with two receivers, August 27, 2014
I have had some hearing loss in both ears since I was in grade school. I am now 73 years of age. The hearing loss has gotten worst over the years.
I have a number of problems from the hearing loss. One is that it is hard to hear two things at the same time. If I am watching TV and someone comes into the room and starts talking I can't hear/understand what they are saying. I have to mute the TV first.
Well it is the same with the door. If I am expecting someone or a package I have to have the TV or radio off. Otherwise I will not hear them knocking. It has been a real problem.

I received the Kootek to review. I had it installed and working is less than 15 minutes. I LOVE it. It is great.
I put the doorbell on the outside of the door using adhesive tabs that came with it. (I did, by error, mount it upside down. But it does not matter.) There is a battery in the doorbell and it comes with the unit.

Two receivers come with the doorbell. (Kootek has a unit for sale that comes with one receiver.) Having two receivers is great. I put one right in the living room near the front door. The receivers plug into a power outlet (110V). I put the other in my room right next to my bed and computer desk.
You can pick the type of ringer you want to hear. You have a choice of 52 different tuns. I only listened to two or three of them. Those sounded great to me. You can have one picked for each receiver and they can be different.

The doorbell and the receives also have an LED ring. If you push the door bell you see the LED ring light up. When there is a LED ring on each of the receivers. That might help with someone that has total hearing loss. You would have to mount it right in front of you however.

A number of little cards came with it but they are not in English.
One 8 1/2 by 11 paper came with instructions. It appears to be all you need.

I live in Fort Worth (TX) and I installed it a few days ago when it was 103 degrees. My only concern has been how is the doorbell going to hold up in that sort of heat. After a few days no problems.
I guess if you live in a very cold area of the United States you might concern about how it will hold up in cold weather.
I will update this review if I have any problems or hear of any problems.

I am a ham radio operator. The doorbell transmits to the receivers on a ham frequency of 433.920 mHz. Kooktek says the range is 200 meters (500 feet). I have not noticed any problems but other devices may use that frequency. So I wonder if there is going to be a problem with this system effecting other doorbells, WiFi systems, auto door locks etc.
I have not had any problems. I use WiFi of course here.
I just want you to know that a problem could come up so you will be ready.

I will make a video soon and upload to go with this review.

InnoGear® 8000mAh Solar Panel Portable Charger Power Bank Outdoor Camping External Backup Battery with Dual USB Port and Built-in LED Flash Light for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPods, iPad 2 Air Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4, S3 i9300, Note 2, Note 3; HTC One, Sensation, EVO 4G, Thunderbolt, 8X, Droid DNA; Nokia Lumia 920, 520, 1020 and other Android Smart Phones, Tablets, MP3, MP4 with Micro USB
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A 8000 mAh Charger That Can Charge Up Via Solar Power - I love it., August 16, 2014
Length:: 2:59 Mins

I always worry about having a battery go dead on me. I have an extra big battery on my cell phone. I carry an extra battery for my camera.
One worry I have is losing power here at home due to a storm or something and not having the ability to charge up my battery.
Well I was sent an InoGear 8000 mAh Solar Panel Portable Charger to review.
You may see it listed as a 12000 mAh charger but that is the "nominal capacity" it is a 8000 mAh charger. It is about the size of a large cell phone. It will charge up from the solar cells. You can also charge it up by plugging it into a USB port.
You get the solar charger , a USB cable and a user manual. (I did not get a user manual but that maybe because I was sent a unit for review.) You don't need a manual. It is super simple and easy.
The price at the time of this review is $25.99 and $1.99 for shipping from Amazon.

You can charge two devices at the same time. One output is 5 volts at 1 A. The other is 5 volts at 2 A.
You can charge many cell phones, digital cameras, PDA, PSP, MP3, MP4, and GPS devices.

I love the device. So far I have not needed it but I will carry it with me when I go out.
I need to get a cable for my camera. I will also see what ham radio devices I can use it with.

Check out my video for more details.

I am ready for the big storm now. I just hope the cell phone towers have solar battery backup now.

InnoGear® Stainless Steel Waterproof Solar Powered Deck Light Staircase Path Driveway Garden Landscape Lighting LED Lamp
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The cool InnoGear Stainless Waterproof Solar Powered Landscape Light, August 16, 2014
Length:: 2:00 Mins

I was sent one of these outdoor waterproof solar lights to review. Just wanted you to know that upfront. It is a InnoGear Stainless Waterproof Solar Powerd Landscape Light
The ASIN number is: B00M7T27CG
Amazon sells them. Right now the price is $19.99 with free shipping.Let me say this is not some cheap light. It is made of stainless steel and armored glass.
I spent the first ten years of my working life building railroad cars and massive trucks (KW Dart Trucks). I like things that are well built.
I also love LED lights and solar cells. These lights are LED solar lights. No wires. Hell this light has no switches or buttons.
Easy to install. No user manual or screws. Just plant the thing in the ground. Daytime it charges up from the sun and comes on at night and gives you light for your walk, deck area or pool area. I bet you can think of a lot of place to put it.
This looks like a great light.
Check out the video I made about it.

Ideal solar waterproof light for decks, porches, steps, fence posts, paths, driveways, and more.
With sturdy stainless-steel construction, each LED light fixture is designed to withstand the elements and last for years.
Weatherproof, waterproof, and rustproof, these LED deck lights are the ideal maintenance-free solution for adding ambiance to your barbecues, picnics, and other outdoor parties.
Emitting white light from energy-efficient LEDs, these fixtures' glow also provides enough light for everyone to safely see where they're going as they climb steps or walk around dining sets and grills in dim light.
Compact size: 130*84.5mm

Kootek® Outdoor Waterproof Solar Powered Deck Lights Path Garden Patio Landscape Step Solar Lights Lighting LED(1, White) [New version]
Offered by Kootek

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Kootek Outdoor Waterproof Solar (LED) Light, August 12, 2014
Length:: 2:00 Mins

Kootek calls it: Kootek Super Bright Outdoor Waterproof Rustproof Solar Path Garden Dock Light.
The ASIN number is: B00M61RVXK
Amazon sells them. Right now the price is $19.99 with free shipping.

This looks like a great light.
Check out the video I made about it.

Innogear 16 LED Super Bight Waterproof Solar Powered Motion Sensor Outdoor Garden Patio Path Wall Mount Gutter Fence Light Security Lamp Light (As Shown)
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Solar Motion Light, August 8, 2014
Length:: 4:01 Mins

Let me say upfront that I was sent one for free to review. It will not effect my review.
This is a great solar motion light. The price is great. I was not expecting it to be built so well for the price. That was the biggest shock.
It has a metal body and they say it is waterproof and "heatproof." I live in Texas we will find out about the heatproof. It is August here now.
It is solar powered. If it is day light the light is off. When it gets dark the light comes on in dim mode. If there is any motion it goes to BRIGHT mode.
I was surprised how bright it was and I guess that is because of the 15 LED lights.
I first set it up inside the apartment in a window. It was in the dinning room. They recommend no glass in front of the solar cells. But I had it inside the apartment. The motion detector worked great. Soon as I walked into the living room it would go to bright mode.
I just put it out said on my patio now.
It is working great.
I guess it will take time to tell just how waterproof and heatproof it is and how long the built in battery will last.
I recommend the solar Motion light.

ThorFire Model-P2 E26 LED Light Bulb Aluminum Shell 7W=60W daylight
ThorFire Model-P2 E26 LED Light Bulb Aluminum Shell 7W=60W daylight
Offered by Eachinedirect
Price: $11.59
2 used & new from $11.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking LED lamp, May 31, 2014
Length:: 4:24 Mins

I also was sent two of these ThorFire Prichard chip A19 LED bulbs for review.
I like the design and the feel. It just feels they are build well. I have a bunch of compact fluorescent lamps in this apartment and I already had two LED lamps. I have began to switch over to all LED over time.
I had one compact FB burn out and it was a pain in the butt finding someplace to get rid of it. You can not just toss them in the trash. That reason alone is enough to want me to go to all LED.
The ThorFire 7watt = 70 watts lamps come in warm white (3000K) and daylight white light (6000K) and I like the daylight. But some might like the warmer warm light. But I make a lot of YouTube videos and I like daylight lamps.
I read the other great Amazon reviews here and I see some people say the lamps come on right away and some say there is a delay. Not sure if there is a change in them but for the two I got there is a very short delay, less than one second, when you turn them on. Not a problem for me.

I think the lamps are great. I did a review on YouTube but it is 14 minutes long.
The video review I uploaded here is less than 5 minutes.

If you want to see the video review go to YouTube and my user name is "HNBBS" and then search for the video.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Price: Click here to see our price
133 used & new from $10.47

4.0 out of 5 stars I collect keyboards the way women collect shoes, December 5, 2012
I have a lot of keyboards. I only need one. I got a Logitech wireless mouse that uses the Logitech "Unifying" receiver. So I decided it might be a good idea to get a keyboard that uses the "Unifying" receiver and that way I would only be using one USB port for both a mouse and keyboard.
I used the keyboard for a few days and then I decided I just wanted to go back to one of my old keyboards. I went back to a Microsoft keyboard that is lighted.
I do like lighted keyboards.
I would recommend the Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 for those that want to use it with a Logitech mouse that uses the "Unifying" receiver and use only one USB port.

Ubuntu Unleashed 2012 Edition: Covering 11.10 and 12.04 (7th Edition) (7th Edition)
by Matthew Helmke
Price: $35.37
28 used & new from $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on Ubuntu, December 5, 2012
I been using Ubuntu for years. I use it dual boot. So when the computer starts up I have a choice of booting into Windows or Ubuntu.
I had an older edition of this book.
The book is very complete and seems to cover everything.
The truth is that it is very rare for me to use the book. But I feel safer with it next to the computer. If I have some sort of problem I can look in the book.
It is very rare to use the book. But if I have a problem one time would be worth the cost of the book.

Page: 1 | 2