Profile for Jim Howard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jim Howard "NØUWY" RSS Feed (Fort Worth, TX)

ThorFire Prichard chip A19 E27 LED Bulb 7W 700LM daylight White Light 6000k Aluminum shell 70 Watt Incandescent Lamp
Offered by Eachinedirect
Price: $17.99
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking LED lamp, May 31, 2014
Length:: 4:24 Mins

I also was sent two of these ThorFire Prichard chip A19 LED bulbs for review.
I like the design and the feel. It just feels they are build well. I have a bunch of compact fluorescent lamps in this apartment and I already had two LED lamps. I have began to switch over to all LED over time.
I had one compact FB burn out and it was a pain in the butt finding someplace to get rid of it. You can not just toss them in the trash. That reason alone is enough to want me to go to all LED.
The ThorFire 7watt = 70 watts lamps come in warm white (3000K) and daylight white light (6000K) and I like the daylight. But some might like the warmer warm light. But I make a lot of YouTube videos and I like daylight lamps.
I read the other great Amazon reviews here and I see some people say the lamps come on right away and some say there is a delay. Not sure if there is a change in them but for the two I got there is a very short delay, less than one second, when you turn them on. Not a problem for me.

I think the lamps are great. I did a review on YouTube but it is 14 minutes long.
The video review I uploaded here is less than 5 minutes.

If you want to see the video review go to YouTube and my user name is "HNBBS" and then search for the video.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Price: Click here to see our price
113 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I collect keyboards the way women collect shoes, December 5, 2012
I have a lot of keyboards. I only need one. I got a Logitech wireless mouse that uses the Logitech "Unifying" receiver. So I decided it might be a good idea to get a keyboard that uses the "Unifying" receiver and that way I would only be using one USB port for both a mouse and keyboard.
I used the keyboard for a few days and then I decided I just wanted to go back to one of my old keyboards. I went back to a Microsoft keyboard that is lighted.
I do like lighted keyboards.
I would recommend the Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 for those that want to use it with a Logitech mouse that uses the "Unifying" receiver and use only one USB port.

Ubuntu Unleashed 2012 Edition: Covering 11.10 and 12.04 (7th Edition) (7th Edition)
by Matthew Helmke
Price: $33.53
32 used & new from $13.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on Ubuntu, December 5, 2012
I been using Ubuntu for years. I use it dual boot. So when the computer starts up I have a choice of booting into Windows or Ubuntu.
I had an older edition of this book.
The book is very complete and seems to cover everything.
The truth is that it is very rare for me to use the book. But I feel safer with it next to the computer. If I have some sort of problem I can look in the book.
It is very rare to use the book. But if I have a problem one time would be worth the cost of the book.

MedCenter 31 Day Pill Organizer
MedCenter 31 Day Pill Organizer
Offered by shopemco
Price: $32.95
9 used & new from $29.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design, December 5, 2012
This is a great pill organizer. It is an excellent design. It is a bit large but great design. They seem to have been thinking about everything when they made it.

ExpertPower® 14.5" DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna For BAOFENG UV-5R WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
Offered by ExpertPower
Price: $11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, December 5, 2012
The ExpertPower 14.4 dual band antenna replaced the 7 inch HT antenna the came on my Wouxun 2 Meter/440 mHz HT. I been checking into 2 meter ham net for months. I have had to go outside the apartment to hit get into the repeater.
After getting the ExpertPower 14.4 antenna when I checked into the net I was going to mention that I had a new antenna but as soon as I checked in the net control station said "N0UWY your signal is excellent tonight." He said it was the best check in that he had heard from me!
Since then I check in from inside the apartment and hit the repeater with a strong signal.
The net is on 2 meters. So I know the ExpertPower 14.4 is better on 2 meters than the stock antenna that came with the Wouxun HT.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2013 9:44 PM PDT

ExpertPower® 7.5" DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna For BAOFENG UV-5R WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
Offered by ExpertPower
Price: $5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars ExpertPower 7 inch same size as my current HT antenna, December 5, 2012
Looks like a good antenna. It is the same size as the one on my current Wouxum dual band HT. Truth is I have not even hooked it up. But good price and looks good.

Fytto Style 1066 Unisex Classic Moderate Compression Socks, 15-20mmHg, Knee High, Black, Large Size
Offered by Comfytopia
Price: $10.80
2 used & new from $5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars They worked, February 8, 2012
I am 70 years old and for the the last couple of years my feet and legs have been swollen. The left foot and leg are the worst. Last year I saw my doctor and he was not happy with the swelling. He added a water pill to the pills I took. He also recommended compression socks.
The water pill did not help. I did not get compression socks. I did not see him again until last month. I already made up my mind to try the compression socks. A friend said they worked for him.
I saw the doctor and he increased my water pill dose from 40 mg to 80 mg. I told him I was going to get compression socks. He said great that he felt they would help.
I ordered Pintoli 1066 Unisex compression socks 15-20mmHg.
First I did not mention the leg pains I been having for the last year or so. The leg pains went away and I do not have them when I have on the Pintoli compression socks.
What I could not believe is that the compression socks worked right away on the swelling. For the first time in over a year the swelling is way down and my left foot looks almost normal.
I wish I had listened to my doctor sooner. I am surprised that the compression socks worked so well and so fast.
So I recommend the compression socks.

Pintoli Style 1066 Unisex Classic Moderate Compression Socks, 15-20mmHg, Knee High, Black, Large Size

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Original NASA Astronaut Pen - Apollo 11, April 18, 2009
I been interested in the space program since Sputnik 1 went into space. I tracked it on the radio. I did a space communications column in a publication. I admit to being a geek and a space fan.
I been buying the original NASA astronaut pens since they came out for the public. I had a number of them over the years. I never had one break on me. I just lost them over the years.
I just had to have the "25th Anniversary of Apollo XI. This is an exact AG7E space pen only it contains a laser etched engraved dipiction of the historic Apollo XI mission. The detail in this engraving is amazing. It contains the physical engraved graphic of Neil Armstrong standing on the Moon's surface, the American Flag positioned on the Moon, the profile of the Earth in the background and the names of the 3 world famous Astronauts that made this historic flight: Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin (Buzz) Aldrin."
I got an early version and it does not have all the engraved detail on it or it is not on it because I had them engrave my name and ham call sign on it.
The space pens run about $25.00 on up depending on engraving or detail. The original model is the AG7 and is about $50.00 and the "real" one is the one I like best.
The Fisher Space Pen story is just a great story. I love the pen because when I hand it to someone to use they always say something like "great pen."
The pressurized ink cartridge will write at any angle and the most dependable pen in this world or out of this world.
I recommend it.

Philips SPC900NC PC  Web Camera with VGA CCD Sensor and USB 2.0 Interface
Philips SPC900NC PC Web Camera with VGA CCD Sensor and USB 2.0 Interface

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips sharp and works in the dark, June 20, 2006
I put one of the very first webcams on the Internet and it is still going strong. So I have used a lot of webcam hardware.
So let us talk about USB webcams and first let me say that you get what you pay for in USB webcams. The more you pay the better the webcam. I hate to say that and would love to tell you that you can walk out and get a $20.00 webcam that is as good as the high priced cameras.
Of the current cameras on the market the 1.3 Megapixels are very good. Look for USB 2.0 cameras.
Now about the Philips Pixel Plus (sells for about $99.00) camera all I can say is that it is the best camera on the market today. It reminds me of the old viCAM (3COM) camera.
The Philips Pixel Plus is 1.3 Megapixels. It has a very sharp lens. It does face tracking and digital zoom.
Philips says the camera works in "near darkness." That is not correct because it works in zero darkness. I could not believe how well it worked in my dark room. I am not sure if the white power LED on the camera is the reason or not.
The mount for the camera I do not like. It says it mounts on any monitor or notebook. Well maybe any LCD monitor. It does not mount on my big 19" monitor.
But I was very surprised that the camera comes with a tripod mount and I use that for mounting the camera.
The software that comes with the camera is not as good as the Logitech software that comes with QuickCam cameras.
The camera has a focus ring and I like that on a camera. The box says that the camera comes with an "extra long" (2.1 m) USB cable. I do not call that extra long.
I rate this Philips with 5 stars. That rating because of the sharp clear video and the fact that the camera works in near darkness. Those are the pros and the cons are the mount and software.
It is an excellent camera. There is still a place for say the QuickCam Fusion. It has a wide angle lens and does OK in low light and the software is better. Because of the wide angle lens it is not as clear and sharp.
So think about what you want.. But I do recommend the Philips Pixel Plus.

This is an update written on 04/18/2009 because I do not think they make the Philips camera any more. Plus there are better webcams now.
The logitech cameras are excellent. I have a QuickCam Pro 9000 and it is excellent. It has Carl Zeiss optics and an auto focus that is great.