Profile for Galitt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Galitt RSS Feed (South Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Matter of Death and Life
A Matter of Death and Life
by Andrey Kurkov
41 used & new from $0.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Sick of life? Why not get yourself a contract killer?, January 25, 2008
Great black humor. Small tale of a small man in a comedy of errors.
Kurkov celebrates the ordinariness of the absurd in a simple yet stark writing. The plot runs through somber to hilarious moments that won't let you leave the book until the last page. Intelligent and funny little gem.

A Wild Sheep Chase: A Novel
A Wild Sheep Chase: A Novel
by Haruki Murakami
Price: $12.59
110 used & new from $3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars One morning I awoke and the sheep was gone, July 23, 2007
This is not the first time I'm reading this book but the first time I'm reading it after reading Dance Dance Dance which its sequel is.
I enjoyed it much better this time, finish reading after intensive 4 hours.

A Lonely 29 old guy meet lonely weird girl with ultra power ears. They enjoy chain-smoking and casual sex. A photograph of the wild sheep has appeared accidentally in a newsletter the guy had published. He is asked by a business man with plan face to go out on a quest to find the sheep. This is a mystery story with a long chase. On the way we meet interesting characters. One is called the Sheep Professor, another Rat, a rather nice fellow despite his name.
The story is both realistic and fantastic. It is humorous and surreal, and at the same time reflects loneliness, and longing for love.

I'm reading Murakami's books on the wrong order... if you think of reading this, you might consider reading 'Pinball, 1973' and Hear the Wind Sing first. 'The Wild Sheep Chase' is the sequel to Pinball, and is the third book in Murakami's "Trilogy of the Rat". Both 'Pinball' and 'Hear the Wind Sing' are out of print in the US and are available online for free.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2007 8:20 PM PDT

Kahimi Karie
Kahimi Karie
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $3.69
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars :: Stylish Pop Candy ::, June 7, 2002
This review is from: Kahimi Karie (Audio CD)
I'm a bit late in discovering Kahimi Karie, I know.
But I must say this CD sound much fresher and innovative than many of the CD's I listened to this year.
In a funny way, it sound to me as a combination of Vanessa Paradis sing to the Beatles tunes...
K.K., a Japanese native, Paris resident, sings in English-French with her thin, high whispering voice, which fit together perfectly to the melodies by her collaborators; usually Cornelius - her former boyfriend and Momus. The result is sensual, stylish, unique and pleasurable compilation.

Biographie De Luka Philipsen
Biographie De Luka Philipsen
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $15.66
37 used & new from $1.68

5.0 out of 5 stars << Vintage >>, February 2, 2002
I heard "Seule" at some late night radio show and it stayed in my head for a week or so, until I made the move and got myself the CD.
It was a splendid surprise, I never heard French music before (I don't count Air as French as they sing in English and their music is more universal). And it got me big time.
It's the kind of music that keep you warm, like hot coffee in the winter, you fall addicted to the calm soft voice of Keren along with the floating easy tunes and the unique sound.
It definitely becomes one of the best CDs I bought this year.

Whoa, Nelly!
Whoa, Nelly!
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $8.14
456 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa, You got me wrong!, February 2, 2002
This review is from: Whoa, Nelly! (Audio CD)
This is not my kind of music.
I'm not a pop fun, neither not a young girls who wannabe Madonna and has the right look and medium taste in fashion rather than good voice, not even to mention the lyrics.
OK, so I heard "like a bird" million times on MTV and I've got to admit that what was so catchy (beside of the GREAT video) is not Nelly look but.... yes, the tunes and cool fresh honest lyrics that was written by..... Whoa - surprise again - Nelly herself.
But I'm not easy to break - nice MTV hit doesn't makes you run and buy the CD, doesn't it?
But than "Turn off the lights" came, with even greater sound, delightful video and another excellent lyric.
Oops, now I'm having a problem here.... Yes, she's young, she's beautiful, but...! She writes well, she has that funny accent that makes it sound even greater, she can hold the guitar, and she absolutely groove!
"...On the radio" was the final excuse to buy this one. and I must admit - it was my favorite mistake (Thanks Sheryl...). The girl has soul and I like her! Rock on Nelly!

The Elephant Vanishes: Stories
The Elephant Vanishes: Stories
by Haruki Murakami
Price: $12.93
103 used & new from $4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars << The essence of the unnatural life >>, February 2, 2002
17 modern, magical, urbanic hilarious tales.
It's the first Murakami book I've read, and from now on I got addicted to his books. Murakami 's deadpan genius. King of the bizarre realm.
His stories take place in Japan, but could as well be everywhere else.
I found myself enthralled by the way he writes, captivated
To his ideas, fascinated by his way to see the unnatural in a so natural way.
The confusion of the young people in his stories is funny, touching and so familiar. Everything could happen; anything is for real if you can see it in your head. Everyone's normal, just the circumstances aren't...
It left me with the taste and desire for more! One by one I swallowed all of his other books.
I had never got disappointed from any of the others, but I found these short stories as the essence of all that I like about his books, and I keep reading it again and again.

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Price: $13.68
71 used & new from $3.89

4.0 out of 5 stars ::: Beautiful composition :::, December 1, 2001
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Audio CD)
I got familiar with this CD after getting a recommendation from Enya's fan.
The only similar thing I found between Secret Garden and Enya is the Celtic roots.
Secret Garden music is more an instrumental pieces than songs. In their web site, they describes their creation as "music to a film not yet seen". I think it a perfect definition to the experience you have when you listen to this CD.
This album is a special compilation album that was released in the US. The album is a selection of tracks from Secret Garden's former three CDs, including one new bonus track called "The Present" from the Korean film with the same name.
I found it very emotional, enchanting and relaxing. Gentle, moody rhythms and colorful sound that combined together into a musical kaleidoscope. Beautiful spiritual journey.

In the Mood For Love
In the Mood For Love
Offered by R-R Supply
Price: $29.99
15 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars << Minimalist restraint >>, November 27, 2001
This review is from: In the Mood For Love (VHS Tape)
Tony Leung is a journalist in Hong Kong, who rents a room with his wife in a family apartment. Next door, Maggie Cheung has done the same thing with her husband, who is almost always away on business.
As part of Kar-wai's game plan, neither the wife, nor the husband, is seen. They exist and are talked about, but never introduced.
Both Leung and Cheung's characters are painfully polite, which means you don't know what they're thinking. Even when it becomes obvious that their other halves are having an affair, it takes ages for either of them to respond. The idea of an emotional outburst would be unthinkable.
The film is so subtle and slow and internalized that it crystallizes into a thing of beauty. Longing has been choked by a thousand years of acceptable behavior. The cut of Cheung's dresses and the sheen of Leung's hair take on an unexpected importance in what appears to be Kar-wai's experiment into the purity of unconsummated passion.
By now this one is the most beautiful movie I had ever seen.
Every shot is like a poem. Each picture is a work of art.
I couldn't help myself from repeating the scenes again and again just to make sure i hadn't miss a thing.
A masterpiece.

Letters from Thailand: A Novel
Letters from Thailand: A Novel
by Susan Fulop Kepner

5.0 out of 5 stars << Beautiful epic >>, November 14, 2001
This novel depicts the life of a Chinese migrant who escaped the utter poverty of rural China for greener pastures in Thailand. Tan Suang U's story is told as a compilation of letters he wrote to his mom in China in a period of 20 years from his arrival in Bangkok in 1945.
A typical tale of rags to riches.
Typical of many "ugly Chinamen", Tan's observations and criticisms of Thai culture are candid and unrefined but also refreshingly honest. Proud of his culture which emphasis honest hard work and frugality, he is destined to be disappointed as within just one generation, his family's cultural identity is lost.
Botans writing style is fluent, brilliant, vivid and full of color. This book won the Siatu literature prize in 1970 and it is one of very few novels that were translated from Thai.
I know it is out of print for a long time but it is worth waiting and looking for.

3000 Miles to Graceland (Snap Case)
3000 Miles to Graceland (Snap Case)
DVD ~ Kurt Russell
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $11.69
428 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars << Rough ride! >>, November 14, 2001
An entertainingly heartless movie, made with style, energy and a modicum of humor. Yet another mindless, derivative, headache- producing assortment of senseless brutality and unconvincing romance...
Brilliant picture editing starts from the animated scorpion fight well before the credits through the sequin jumpsuited Elvis impersonators, to the final climactic firefight.
A surprisingly riveting confection.
I found it sometimes meretricious but never soporific.
This kind of movie happens when a music video director (Demian Lichtenstein) decides he wants to be the next John Woo (or maybe Quentin Tarantino)...
"Graceland" seems to be the kind of picture all the actors signed up for just because they thought it would be fun. Bad dude parolee Russell enjoys himself every bit as much as criminal bad dude Costner, Russell is playing the protagonist criminal who is smart enough to be wearing a bullet-proof vest when Costner shoots him (why don't these guys ever aim for the head?).
The woman part (there just M-U-S-T be a woman in this kind of films isn't it?) of the sexy motel clerk is played by great Courtney Cox Arquette.
Quite a fun ride... if you don't take it seriously.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3