Profile for C. Burgess > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Burgess "chico_bkny" RSS Feed (New York, NY United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Dark Path: A Memoir
The Dark Path: A Memoir
by David Schickler
Price: $19.96
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and poignant, and great storytellng above all else, September 13, 2013
I'll admit to being a fan of David Schickler's since his first New Yorker short story. I loved Kissing in Manhattan and Sweet and Vicious, and I've been waiting a while for his next book to come out. When I heard it was a memoir, not another novel, I gave a moment's pause, because I'm not typically a fan of memoirs -- most of which I find over-indulgent and myopic.

What a treat this one is! The stories Schickler tells are hilarious, and he weaves those stories together powerfully with his personal reflections and struggles about his identity and his calling. I'm not particularly religious myself, and I certainly never considered joining the priesthood, but Schickler's story is not just about religion. He describes his personal evolution with such clear-eyed honesty and self-awareness that you can't help identifying with him at numerous times throughout the book.

Above all, Schickler has not lost his touch for storytelling. It's a memoir that reads like a novel, and writing is absolutely brilliant. At times share, at time dreamlike and at times rollicking, The Dark Path never disappoints.

Stampede of the Supermarket Slugs (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
Stampede of the Supermarket Slugs (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
Price: $4.99
58 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A big hit!, July 22, 2013
You know those books that your child wants to read over and over, and that she wants to talk about all of the time? This is one of those books. In our household, it's now "slug this" and slug that" just about all day. Not that I am complaining, mind you! If she is going to be obsessed with a book, better this one -- with its fun plot and relatable characters and playful illustrations -- that some other dreck she could have chosen. In short, this book is a treat, and I highly recommend it.

Attack of the Shark-Headed Zombie (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
Attack of the Shark-Headed Zombie (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
Price: $4.99
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great page-turner!, July 28, 2011
What a winner this book is! It's got it all -- a little scary, a little silly and a lot of fun. My neices loved it, and wanted to read it all over again immediately after they sped through it the first time through. Highly recommended.

American Idiot: The Original Broadway Cast Recording Featuring Green Day
American Idiot: The Original Broadway Cast Recording Featuring Green Day
Price: $16.27
60 used & new from $3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the show...Love the soundtrack, April 21, 2010
I saw the show in NYC the other night and was simply blown away. I have always been a pretty good (but not huge) Green Day fan, but this show gave me huge new respect for them. These songs rock. Yes, it's different to hear someone other than BJA sing them, especially the female voices, but the arrangements fill the songs out really well, and there is a major depth of emotion in them. This CD is going to stay on repeat for a long time in my player!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2011 8:32 PM PDT

Judging Juveniles: Prosecuting Adolescents in Adult and Juvenile Courts (New Perspectives in Crime, Deviance, and Law)
by Aaron Kupchik
Price: $19.93
32 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful Study of a Major Issue, December 8, 2006
"Judging Juveniles" is an incredibly well-researched and well-written study of how the justice sytem deals with (or doesn't deal adequately with) adolescents. It thoroughly reviews the issue from a variety of perspectives with the seriousness and thoughtfulness it deserves. What makes this book really great, at least to this non-academic type, is that it is very readable. It has many anecdotes and conversations lifted out of courtrooms that make the subject really come alive.

If you are at all interested in this topic, I highly recommend this book.

Crime Through Time #6: Trapped!: The 2031 Journal of Otis Fitzmorgan
Crime Through Time #6: Trapped!: The 2031 Journal of Otis Fitzmorgan
45 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series Just Keeps Getting Better, November 20, 2006
As you may know from my earlier reviews, my family and I are big fans of the "Crime Through Time" series of books. The plots overall are really gripping, and the writing keeps it interesting for all ages.

"Trapped!" is the latest one I have read with my niece, and it may be the best yet. (It's hard to pick a favorite, though.) This one is a combination sci-fi and mystery novel involving art fraud aboard the futuristic Space Elevator. The story itself is great, with a driving, fast-paced plot with lots of twists and turns. What makes this series really great, I think, is the way it brings in scraps of info through sidebars and extra pages that my niece really loves. There's easy-to-understand mini-articles on everything from DNA to asteroids to John Wilkes Booth! It really connects the story line to whatever the kids might be studying in school without being distracting or too "educationsal" in the eyes of the kids. I highly recommend this book.

Nabbed! The 1925 Journal of G. Codd Fitzmorgan (Crime Through Time, No. 2)
Nabbed! The 1925 Journal of G. Codd Fitzmorgan (Crime Through Time, No. 2)
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for the young slueths in your family, April 13, 2006
Nabbed! -- along with its companion book, Swindled! (See my separate review for that one) -- is a wonderful read. It's aimed at young readers, and I know of at least one in my family who is totally into the series now after reading the two books.

The fun part is that you get to be a part of the action. You find out about clues and investigative techniques of the time period, and you get to know some of the really quirky characters. The suspense really builds over the book, and the plot is quite clever, although I don't want to give away too much information. If it sounds like I enjoyed this as an adult -- you're right, I did. I read it before I gave it as a gift to my neice, and I loved it!

Swindled! The 1906 Journal of Fitz Morgan (Crime Through Time, No. 1)
Swindled! The 1906 Journal of Fitz Morgan (Crime Through Time, No. 1)
46 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, April 13, 2006
I bought this book (and the second one in the series -- Nabbed!) as a gift for my neice, but I have to confess that I read it first myself. I didn't mean to, really, but I flipped open to the first page to get a sense of it, and I found it so interesting that I actually decided I had to finish it, and the second book too. I think it's really clever how you get to know the family and get involved in the mysteries, through the clues and the forensic information given. The way the author makes the period come alive is particularly effective as well. This is no dry historical fiction, that's for sure.

Oh, and by the way -- my neice loved it too! I highly recommend it for young readers, but I urge the parents to sneak a read of it themselves.

Sweet and Vicious
Sweet and Vicious
by David Schickler
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Even better than "Kissing in Manhattan", August 31, 2004
This review is from: Sweet and Vicious (Hardcover)
In his first book, Schickler showed that he could create memorable characters radiating equal amounts of humanity and quirkiness. In "Sweet and Vicious," the parade continues. Grace and Henry absolutely jump of the page, and even the secondary characters -- like Color or Gretl -- were clearly not just filler.

Although there is a significant amount of magical realism in the book (think Tom Robbins crossed with Garcia Marquez), the story and the characters all seems so vivid. The imagery throughout the story is spectacular, from the car wash scene to the pod people to the tree-top dwelling to the diamonds themselves. Schickler is incredibly talented at creating situations that pull you in and, unlike with many writers, I never felt disappointed that the payoff wasn't equal to the setup.

I think Schickler has really found his voice as a writer with this book, and I predict it will be a major hit.

Let It Be
Let It Be
35 used & new from $0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sharp & Strong, September 19, 2001
This review is from: Let It Be (Audio CD)
Buy this record.
I'm tempted to end the review here because, frankly, that's the bottom line. But this masterpiece deserves more. Once you've listened to it three times in a row, come back and read the rest of this review.
Back in the 1980s, when the rest of the world was listening to Alphaville or whatever ... was out at the time, a small generation of us defined ourselves by the indie music we listened to. We wore our affection for The Replacements, X, Husker Du, etc. like a badge of honor because they represented the life we all wanted -- tortured genius, real emotion, self-destruction. In this world, "Let It Be" was the Bible. It is a perfect, self-contained explosion of raw energy and emotion by a quartet far more talented than they got credit for.
Make no mistake. Westerberg et al DO have tremendous musical ability. You can hear it especially well in "Androgynous" and "Unsatisfied." Complaints that they have the talent of a sloppy bar band totally miss the mark. Picasso once said that it took him a few years to learn how to paint like the masters, and the rest of his life to learn how to paint like a child. I feel like the same principle is at work here. They could play in a technically perfect way, but The Replacements' loose, jangly sound is intentional, and it works.
Like others, I agree that this album and "Tim" together were the high mark of The Replacements. Some of the earlier albums are great, but feel free to skip most of the latter ones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6