Profile for Jason M. Honaker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason M. Honaker RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Micro SATA Cables - LIF to SATA Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my data from MacBook Air (Original) SATA LIF SSD HDD, January 23, 2014
SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply & LED Activity Lights (USB-DSC9)

When used with the SATA/USB 3.0 Adapter (link attached), I was able to connect the drive to the Adapter, connect the Adapter to the SABRENT USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter, then finally to my MacPro. I did have some trouble at first, because I did not hook it up correctly. Check my images (uploaded) for the proper set up.
Basically, using the SATA/USB 3.0 adapter (sold separately), I hooked up the HDD to the super tiny ribbon cable. Then, you use the power adapter to plug it into the small chip interface. From there, you hook up the regular SATA cable to the chip; this plugs into the Sabrent adapter. I powered it all up, then connected the USB cord into the MacPro, and it was recognized.

One thing you must be careful to do, is to plug the tiny ribbon cable in the correct way, and line the metal pins up correctly. It took me several tries to do this, because I have never worked with this type of HDD before. The blue surface (opposite the pins) on the ribbon cable need to be facing DOWN, and the tiny flap on the HDD interface needs to be facing UP. You have to gently wiggle the cable into the slot (it's super super small) and close the little flap. Like I said, you have to align the pins on the cable with the pins on the HDD--it's possible to get them offset.

I was able to transfer all of my files and recover my data; also, I was able to securely erase my drive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 8:40 AM PDT

SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply & LED Activity Lights [4TB Support] (USB-DSC9)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $29.99
6 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my MacBook Air (Original) SATA LIF SDD HDD, January 23, 2014
Micro SATA Cables - LIF to SATA Adapter

When used with the Micro SATA Cable LIF to SATA Adapter (link attached), I was able to connect the drive to the Adapter, connect the Adapter to the SABRENT USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter, then finally to my MacPro. I did have some trouble at first, because I did not hook it up correctly. Check my images (uploaded) for the proper set up.
Basically, using the LIF to SATA adapter (sold separately), I hooked up the HDD to the super tiny ribbon cable. Then, you use the power adapter to plug it into the small chip interface. From there, you hook up the regular SATA cable to the chip; this plugs into the Sabrent adapter. I powered it all up, then connected the USB cord into the MacPro, and it was recognized.

One thing you must be careful to do, is to plug the tiny ribbon cable in the correct way, and line the metal pins up correctly. It took me several tries to do this, because I have never worked with this type of HDD before. The blue surface (opposite the pins) on the ribbon cable need to be facing DOWN, and the tiny flap on the HDD interface needs to be pointed UP. You have to gently wiggle the cable into the slot (it's super super small) and close the little flap. Like I said, you have to align the pins on the cable with the pins on the HDD--it's possible to get them offset.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Being Human (U.S.) Season 1 [HD]
Being Human (U.S.) Season 1 [HD]
DVD
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Volume issues, bad acting, not great, January 11, 2014
The video streaming quality is ok. The dialog is a bit quiet, and the music is much louder, making it so you have to keep fiddling with the volume. Subtitles would be great if only the Amazon Streaming PS3 app had the feature.

The show itself really isn't ad great as I had heard. Pretty disappointed.

Knack (PlayStation 4)
Knack (PlayStation 4)
Price: $29.99
112 used & new from $18.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Good launch game, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game, despite the negative review scores form the video games media (currently, a 54/100 on metacritic).

Graphics - the quality of the graphics in this game are more subtle than what you might expect from a next-gen title; they're nothing eye popping at first glance, but as you play the game, you notice the small details that really stand out from a regular PS3 game. The first thing I noticed, was the little blocks that Knack is made of, have really detailed textures. Also, the shininess of the metal and other jewels in the game look so realistic. The rest of the game looks pretty much like a Dreamworks or Pixar animated movie. If you like this type of art style, you're going to enjoy the graphics of this game.

Sound - For the most part, the sound is pretty good. It doesn't use a ton of surround sound like other games, particularly first person shooters or 3rd person shooters. But this is a 3D platformer, so you really don't have a lot of enemies off to your left or right, or behind you to really take advantage of surround. You do have the soundtrack, which isn't anything spectacular, utilizing the surround, but that's about it. The game does utilize the speaker on the DualShock 4 when Knack picks up the small blocks to get bigger. On the whole, I'd say the sound is just so-so, not good, but not bad.

Multi-player - I believe the game has some sort of co-op, but I did not use it, and I do not know for sure. However, it does have an asynchronous multi-player component, when you find treasure boxes, you can swap what you found with treasures that people on your friends list found--sometimes, they found better, more rare treasures than you, and you can take what they got instead of what you got. Also, there is a companion smartphone app for both iOS and Android. The app is nothing special, and kind of mimics Bejeweled; however, it's not as fun as Bejeweled, and quickly becomes boring. I really wish it did a better job of imitating Bejeweled, giving you the power-ups that you get form matching sets of 4 or 5. You basically match sets of 3, 4, or 5 + combos to fill up your crystal gauge. Once the gauge is filled, if you run into trouble, you can swipe down on all 3 crystals and tap any block in the field to remove all those type of block on the screen. As you play, you fill up an experience gauge to increase your level; when you gain a new experience level, you are awarded with a secret treasure, that is synced up with your PS4 version of Knack. This helps you immensely, because there are maybe 3 or 4 chests on each level of Knack, and this app helps you complete the components to gain all of his extra powers.

Story - Overall the story is good. It's nothing too deep or serious, and you don't really get the whole story about the Goblins, and why they're at war with the humans. But on a whole, the story is light and fun.

Gameplay/Fun - The game play mechanics are pretty much the same controls as God of War. Hit 1 button to attack, one button to jump, one button for a special attack, left analog stick to move, and right analog stick to roll or dodge. Overall the controls are pretty good, I don't know for sure, but I don't seem to remember having a block button that was as effective as in God of War (L1 trigger), so if you're not good at dodging, you're going to get hit and die a lot. If you die, not to worry, you generally start back at the last checkpoint with full health. Many times, I'd get to the next checkpoint with very low health, and get killed, only to respawn at the last checkpoint with a full health bar. There are some pretty challenging arena type battles with tanks and such, that can require a lot of skill, but as a God of War fan, I didn't have too much trouble. If you're not good at these types of games, or are getting this game for children, I'd suggest using the easy difficulty setting.

Another slightly annoying thing about the game was that I'd get through a certain chapter or section, and by the end of that section, Knack was so powerful and enormous. It was a lot of fun to be able to kill large goblins, tanks and robots with one or two hits. However, almost without fail, at the end of the chapter, knack would drop all of his power-ups and you'd begin the next chapter as baby knack. I understand what the game designer was trying to do, but I would have liked to just make the enemies maybe slightly harder instead of starting all over again w/Knacks health gauge and power-ups. You can play the game over again after beating it to use the gems you found throughout your first play-through, and from the mobile app, but I didn't feel too compelled to play the game again. You have no control over the items you get from playing the mobile app, so some of the more rare treasures are tough to get, so I wasn't able to play as "Diamond" Knack or anything.

Overall, I give the game about a 4/5, because it was a lot of fun. I personally didn't really feel the need to play through it again, but this is mainly because I have many other games in my backlog, and I just couldn't justify spending more time on it. However if you don't own a lot of games, or are all caught up, the game does have some replay value. The experience is pretty linear, and the enemies all appear in the same place every time, so don't expect to discover much more after your first play-through (not that it's a bad thing, just FYI). So to summarize, it's a very fun 3D platformer, so if that's your type of game, you'll enjoy it--I definitely recommend this game.

Talisman Designs Pot Pie Shield, Set of 4
Talisman Designs Pot Pie Shield, Set of 4
Offered by Nutmeg Peddlers
Price: $16.95
6 used & new from $11.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for pot pies, January 9, 2014
Our family eats Marie Callender turkey pot pies (the larger, 10" ones), probably once or twice a month, and I was sick and tired of wrapping aluminum foil around the crust before I put the pies in the oven. You have to take the foil box out, rip about 1" of foil off at a time, and it takes 2 pieces of foil to wrap the entire pot pie; not very tough to do, but just an extra annoyance, not to mention it's a waste of foil.

These pie shields work great; now all I have to do is take the pies out of the box, slap these pie shields on, and throw them in the oven. When the pies are done, you just take them off (carefully, they're hot), and throw them in the dishwasher after they've cooled.

StainlessLUX 77512 2-piece Extra-long Stainless Steel Milkshake Straws / Smoothie Straw Set, 12 Inches Long x 0.3 Inches Diameter, Brilliant Finish Food-safe 18/8 Stainless, 2 Straws in a Set
Offered by StainlessLUX, Inc.
Price: $8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, works with Tervis Tumbler 24oz, January 9, 2014
I was looking for some stainless steel straws that I could use, wash in the dishwasher, and reuse, and I also wanted these straws to work with both my water bottle and my Tervis 24oz Tumbler w/lid; these straws are exactly what I was looking for.

I have a plastic, and a stainless steel, water bottle that I sometimes take to work, or use when driving in the car. Both water bottles that I use have wide mouths, and it's very tough to take a drink while driving. Also, when I use my Tervis Tumbler w/lid to put ice & soda in it, when you tip the cup to take a drink, the ice sometimes blocks the soda from coming out. The lid for the Tervis Tumbler has a round hole where you drink from, and the straw fits it perfectly.

Now, with these straws, I can use them both in my water bottles and my tumbler without the cup/bottle blocking my vision while I'm trying to drive. These straws are the just about the right length; perhaps a bit too long, but the other straws, with the bend at the top, would definitely be too short.

One thing to note, I would not recommend using these straws while walking--you could seriously injure yourself if you bumped this straw against your tooth or gum if you tripped or something.

PlayStation 4 Console
PlayStation 4 Console
Price: $399.00
262 used & new from $325.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Some setup issues, but overall a good system, November 19, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 Console (Video Game)
So far so good. Originally, I thought I had the HDMI issue, but it turned out to be my receiver.
I'm using a Denon AVR-1611 Receiver, and I'm using HDMI from the PS4 to my receiver, and HDMI from my receiver to the TV. At first, I was getting a flashing screen, that would go to from a clear picture to a snowy/staticy screen when I started my PS4 from Standby OR if I turned my TV off, then on, and left the PS4 running while I was away. When I would turn the TV on and wake the PS4, the screen would blink on and off with the issue I had described above.

When I plugged the PS4 directly into my TV, it worked fine w/o any problems, so I was able to determine it was an issue with my receiver. I was able to change to a different HDMI port on the receiver, and I tweaked some of the input settings in my receiver configuration, and now the PS4 works without any issues at all.

I am giving this a rating of 4, because the menu system is very confusing and non-intuitive. Many of the system settings that were on the PS3 either are in a completely different menu on the PS4, or are absent. I'm sure in later firmware updates, this will be managed, but for the launch of the system, I wish it would have been a little easier to set up.

The graphics on both games that I bought with the system are amazing--it's definitely an enormous upgrade from the PS3. I can hardly imagine what games will look like in 5 years if the launch titles are already looking this good. As many other people have said, the controller is really awesome. I am a fan of the DS3, but the DS4 is much more comfortable, and I really think the improvements add to the usability and feel of the controller.

I highly recommend this system to people who are first adopters and like games like Killzone and Super Stardust HD. If you need a lot of games at launch, you may want to wait until the library expands before you make a purchase, but overall the system is really good.

Summer Wars [Blu-ray]
Summer Wars [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michael Sinterniklaas
9 used & new from $17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly fantastic, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Summer Wars [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I found out about this movie because I am a big fan of the Miyazaki films, and the other movie by the same director, Mamoru Hosoda, was listed in my recommended movies from Amazon (because I liked the Miyazaki films). When the other film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, went out of print, I decided to purchase this one just in case it also went out of print. I ended up snatching it up for $12.50 on black Friday 2012 without really knowing anything about the movie, and wow, am I glad that I did.

I watched the movie last night with my wife, and was totally shocked at what a great movie this is. I skimmed the description and some of the other reviews, and I was under the impression that this was a movie about people using magical animals to do battle. I was completely wrong, and to my surprise, it was a zany story about two kids who are thrown in to a situation where they need to save the world from a malicious AI that takes over the Internet.

The story starts out so completely normal, similar to Miyazaki's films, then the protagonists are thrown into a completely surreal adventure.

Audio

The audio is excellent. It really makes good use of the 5.1 surround sound, I really enjoyed the entire experience.

Video quality

The video quality is very good. Definitely on-par for an HD animation.

Art

The art in this film is just fantastic. There are so many really cool scenes where there are huge over-the-top action with things crashing, fights, explosions. The landscape and the detail are all very good.

Story

This is just an all around great story. You really get to love the characters and you really are pulled into the moment. I really got attached to all of the characters; I really can't say enough how much I loved this movie. I highly recommend you pick this up, it really is a great movie.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 6:22 PM PST

Ghost Hound: The Complete Collection [Blu-Ray]
Ghost Hound: The Complete Collection [Blu-Ray]
DVD ~ Akiko Yajima
Offered by Anime Corner
Price: $51.25
18 used & new from $49.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep, supernatural anime, very cerebral, great series, December 5, 2012
I originally watched this series on Netflix, and couldn't stop watching it. After it was taken off of Netflix, I checked cruncyroll.com, and it is not there either; I decided that I needed to purchase this great series.

Audio

The audio is pretty good; I have a 5.1 surround system, and the audio is done well.

Video Quality

The quality is also very good, nothing out of this world, but good nonetheless.

Story

This is the main reason to get this series. The story combines three (and ultimately a fourth) protagonists who have each had some kind of traumatic experience in their past. They eventually discover how to have Out-of-body Experiences at will (OBE), and they proceed to explore the spirit realm, and try to get over their troubled pasts.

Each episode has a theme, usually based on some sort of psychological issue/concept, and the portion of the story usually has something to do with the overall theme. The story overall is pretty dark, it has to do with death, suicide, and other pretty adult themes. Each episode is entertaining, and covers a lot of different topics in psychology that I personally have never heard of, so I feel like I was learning something new, while at the same time being told a very engaging story that explores the specific topics.

It's definitely a very unique anime series, and you just want to keep watching it until the end. I really wish this was still on Netflix, because it is now quite expensive (I paid $52 for it, which I thought was pretty steep, and now it's over $80 new at the time of this review, but third party sellers are still selling it new for around what I paid for it), so readers of this review will not be able to preview the series before shelling out quite a bit. Personally, I think this series is worth $50, but I was able to use credit card reward points to get it for free; I definitely loved the series enough to spend most of my rewards on this, because I really don't want to lose access to this.

If you have some Amazon gift cards or credit card rewards, love deep concepts, dark anime, and supernatural themes, this series is a great one to own. If you have any chance to watch it before purchasing, I would advise you to do so, but if not, I don't think you will regret the purchase if you anything I've said in this review appeals to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2013 6:46 PM PDT

Appleseed Ex Machina [Blu-ray]
Appleseed Ex Machina [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Ai Kobayashi
Price: $26.18
23 used & new from $11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good CG Anime, good story, worth watching, December 5, 2012
I originally watched this movie on Netflix streaming, and found it for $11.49 for black Friday 2012, and could not pass it up for that price.

The movie overall is a good movie; it's nothing earth-shattering or a must-have, but it's a good watch and has really great CG and sound.

The visuals and surround sound are both excellent; the description that's on the Amazon description is very accurate. The story is a futuristic cop story with really cool mech suits and cloned humans with bionic attachments. I really enjoyed the combat and the whole theme of the world.

Overall, it's a good movie, not a great movie, but it's definitely worth a watch; definitely worth $11.50.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4