Profile for Reed Moore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reed Moore RSS Feed (Hannibal)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenspen LENSK1A Sensorklear Ii with Articulated Tip
Lenspen LENSK1A Sensorklear Ii with Articulated Tip
Price: $11.62
12 used & new from $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague - in the very best case, March 20, 2015
Avoid like the plague - in the very best case, you will still have dust. In the worst case you will have a lot more dust or a scratched or smeared sensor. It baffles me that anybody buys these things still.

Lenspen SensorKlear Loupe Kit
Lenspen SensorKlear Loupe Kit
Offered by Wireless Everything
Price: $57.99
8 used & new from $43.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, March 20, 2015
The worst product I've ever purchased for my DSLR. I was really encouraged in reading the other reviews, that maybe this was the way to finally get the dust off my sensor. It DOES allow you to SEE the dust on your sensor, but as far as actually cleaning the sensor, it doesn't - it makes it worse.

I followed the directions carefully, and place the "lens pen" close to the dust specks, and occasionally it will stick to a piece of dust and pull it off. But far more often (as in, almost always), when I pull the pen away, I see much MORE dust left behind by the pen. I always "blow off" the lens pen with the provided blower first (as instructed), and I even tap it against the edge of my desk to try to get any dust off of it ahead of time, but it always leaves dust behind that wasn't there before. I'm going to return this, and I almost feel like the company owes me a professional cleaning now that my sensor is dustier than it ever was before.

Photomatix Photomatix Pro 5
Photomatix Photomatix Pro 5
Offered by HDRsoft Limited
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great software with a terrible UI, October 26, 2014
Great underlying engine handles both Fusion (merging your photos into an in-memory HDR one that cannot be displayed on normal monitors), and, Tone-mapping (converting the above in-memory HDR image into a "regular" JPG or TIFF (8-bit or 16-bit) image). There are many options for controlling both sides of the above process(es), including lots of presets to get you started. The software also can handle RAW files (such as .CR2) as its input images, and HDRsoft seem to do a great job at keeping the software up-to-date for newer cameras. It handles my Canon 6D's CR2 files flawlessly.

I docked a star because it is astonishing to me that such a polished and powerful piece of software can have such an astoundingly poor User Interface, but there it is - it does. Biggest problem is that there are multiple undocked windows all over the place, some under other ones, which you need to drag around to different spots, and resize, depending on what you're doing. Think Windows 3.1. They should really hire a good UI designer/programmer to clean up the UI (and start from scratch!).

Anyway, I still find I can get the stuff done that I need to, but my hope is that HDRsoft will focus on a clean and concise UI for version 6 rather than add more power (and with this UI, more windows and obfuscation). Hire a dedicated UI programmer, or three! There are far more complex programs out there (such as Lightroom) which have far more straightforward and intuitive UI's.

In conclusion, if you take a lot of photos, have a camera that can take multiple (bracketed) exposures, have a tripod, and want to do some amazing HDR stuff, then you can't go wrong with Photomatix. I strongly recommend it in spite of it's 1990's UI. Oh, and as others have pointed out, it can make your older or single photos really pop as well with the tone-mapping algorithms in there.

PAC-MAN HD
PAC-MAN HD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars lack of controller kills it, March 20, 2014
This review is from: PAC-MAN HD (App)
Very authentic, but they need to come up with a better way to control your pac man. Both ways provided are very hit or miss - quite frustrating since it appears to be a good rendition otherwise.

Husqvarna 531309565 Chain Saw Apron Chaps, Gray
Husqvarna 531309565 Chain Saw Apron Chaps, Gray
Price: $59.98
2 used & new from $59.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit on the short side, March 13, 2014
I read some of the reviews here and figured these would be long enough, but they end an inch or two above my ankles. I am 6' 2" and wear 34" long jeans, but these are several inches shorter than I'd like. Easy adjustment and a seemingly solid product otherwise. 5 stars for anyone under, say, 5'10" or so.

Before Midnight
Before Midnight
DVD ~ Ethan Hawke
Price: $12.42
43 used & new from $7.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Before Midnight (DVD)
I just saw this movie with my wife, after we had seen and enjoyed the first two excellent movies, years ago. I expected it to be good, but not THIS good. I would never have thought it could be better than the first two, but it is! I'm glad to see that it is also receiving the critical acclaim it deserves.

It seems some of the other reviewers here were expecting a more typical romance or drama, such as...
-something "happens", like an accident or very serious and specific "situation", or,
-the two main characters are normal people without any problems (such as her emotional instability), or,
-even just a standard PLOT with a "situation" and a "resolution".

This movie has none of these things, which might be why it felt so REAL.

I guess I'd just call it part romance, part stream-of-consciousness, but done to an extreme level of absolute perfection. The (three) writers of this film (which include the two main actors), were clearly not trying to sell tickets here. They were trying to do something much deeper that meant something to themselves. For those of us lucky enough to go along for the ride, it is a helluva ride!

Having the first two movies as background just added to the depth of feeling contained here. And of course, the acting was absolutely top-notch.

Best movie I have seen in a very long time.

Double Tap Draft Beer Tower- Stainless Steel- 3" Diameter with Perlick Perl 525PC Faucets
Offered by home-brew
Price: $199.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star faucet, 2 star tower, August 27, 2013
This does indeed come with two very nice Perlick 525PC faucets.

The tower though is crap, made in India. Says right on the box that it comes with "Moubting Hardware and Gasket". It should do the job of basically holding up the faucets, but it's super thin metal, virtually no insulation (I will add my own), and no instructions.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the standalone Perlick faucets, and get a tower elsewhere.

TOTO CST743S#01 Drake Round Bowl and Tank, Cotton White
TOTO CST743S#01 Drake Round Bowl and Tank, Cotton White
Price: $244.74
13 used & new from $243.20

2.0 out of 5 stars 5-star toilet, 1 star customer service, August 2, 2013
The toilet is great, but if you have any problems with it, then Toto won't go out of their way to help. One of the little bolt caps cracked and wouldn't stay on, so I figured no big deal, I'll just call Toto (they have a USA office and phone number right inside the lid).

They said you can buy one for $5 + $15 shipping at the Toto store!!! what??? Your product broke. Send me a little bolt cap.

If I had it to do over, I'd have gotten a similar toilet from another company, but ehh, we never know about this stuff until you have to call.

Old Town 10-Feet Vapor 10 Angler Recreational Fishing Kayak (Tan)
Old Town 10-Feet Vapor 10 Angler Recreational Fishing Kayak (Tan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boat, BUT..., May 24, 2013
...you can get a better deal at your local sports store (if they don't carry it, they can probably get it). Not worth the shipping Amazon has now decided to charge for it.

The Bee Book For Beginners: 2nd Edition (Revised) : An Apiculture Starter or How To Be A Backyard Beekeeper And Harvest Honey From Your Own Bee Hives (Backyard Farm Books 1)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a lot of typos that should be easy to fix, April 11, 2012
I enjoyed this book and it was a good intro to bees and beekeeping, and the writing style is casual and fun.

If you are completely new to the hobby then this is a good place to start, especially considering the price (so if you decide it's not for you, then you are only out a few bucks).

That being said, it seems that for such a short book, it should be pretty easy to proof-read it at least once or twice and correct the typos. Even one of the chapter titles has a typo! ("10 - What Diseases and Pest Can Harm My Bees?"). In addition to the typos, Chapter 4 is in a completely different font than the rest of the book.

Anyway, a 5-star book with the typos and formatting problems fixed. Maybe the author can update it?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2012 3:30 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3