Profile for Markson Spencer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Markson Spencer RSS Feed (USA)

C2G / Cables to Go 40081 SonicWave Dual Channel RCA Audio Cable (1.5 Feet, Gray)
Price: $23.78
14 used & new from $17.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cable - small caution, February 18, 2013
I bought these for their apparent robustness. However if you've bought these you should be aware that the cable is held in place within the RCA plug only by a crimped, toothed band attached to a copper connector strip. This can readily be seen because the rear of the RCA plug easily unscrews and slides back from the gold plated front. The cable itself is otherwise unsecured where it enters the plug (unlike a molded plug) and is free to wiggle about a bit. The soldering appears to be quite good in itself, but I would take care using the cable where it may be frequently jostled or pulled upon.
Does it sound better than the cable I had before? Well, my car always seems to run better after I've just taken it through the car wash.

Pal Joey (OST)
Pal Joey (OST)
2 used & new from $114.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful transfer of a great soundtrack, April 28, 2009
This review is from: Pal Joey (OST) (Audio CD)
I bought this CD based upon Alec Howe's glowing report of this Pal Joey 1957 soundtrack and feel that I have to put in my ten cents worth. I received it today and can honestly say that it is one of the worst transfers to CD that I have heard. It has a compressed, flat, sound - with all the dynamics sucked out of it. In addition there is audible distortion, especially where the female singer's sibilants transfer as crackles - most apparent at the beginning of the song Zip, but present throughout. It's as though the transfer was made, using ~ $100 worth of equipment, from a less than pristine LP record with the scratch, pop and hiss filter turned up to maximum. The manufacturers even manage to slightly clip the end of some of the songs too as if they were in a hurry to just get the thing done.
In case you think I may be reviewing a different product, and I couldn't blame you, I am reviewing the disc described on Amazon as Pal Joey (OST)[IMPORT][Soundtrack] and the product details list the manufacturer as Phantom Sound and Vision (actually on the disc it says made in Holland by Hallmark Music and Entertainment, but the cover art - from the Columbia DVD, not Capitol's original LP. - shows it to be the same disc). Certainly phantom sound adequately describes the quality of this abysmal product.
It's unfortunate,because it doesn't have to be this way. I recently bought June Christy's Misty Miss Christy and Something Cool - circa late 50s and both on Capitol (Jazz) CDs. They are both excellent transfers. Considering Sinatra is a major cash cow for Capitol, I've no idea why the label hasn't made this soundtrack available.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2009 10:06 AM PDT