Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Warbird > Reviews

Browse

Warbird's Profile

Customer Reviews: 120

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Warbird RSS Feed (New Hampshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Death of the Black-Haired Girl
Death of the Black-Haired Girl
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a letdown, December 1, 2013
I was disappointed by this book, not really up to Robert Stone quality. After a good first half, it rather trailed off, with the implied revenge never acted out, and it ended with more of a rant than with a satisfactory climax.

Outdoor Research Alpine Hat
Outdoor Research Alpine Hat
Offered by GearX
Price: $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars best cap I've ever owned, November 23, 2013
My daughter gave me this cap (dull red on top) years ago. I was balding then, and I am totally bald now, so I figured it was for fall and spring. Not so! I use it skiing in Colorado and plowing snow in New Hampshire, and I've never been cold on top. It used to be that I wore two knit caps, to keep the cold wind out. I don't have to do that any longer. And it stuffs easily into a pocket if the day heats up!

Lenovo ThinkPad T400 INTEL Core 2 Duo 2400 MHz 160Gig Serial ATA HDD 4096mb DDR3 DVD/CDRW Wireless WI-FI 14.0" WideScreen LCD Genuine Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit Laptop Notebook Computer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disagreeable seller, October 29, 2013
The computer works fine, and I am satisfied with it. However, a week or so after I ordered it, the price was dropped by $25 or so, and when I asked for a rebate I was told by US Micro that "We do not offer price adjustments on orders." What kind of a merchant is that? I won't be doing business with them in the future.

One of the great things about buying through Amazon is the way it stands behind the products it sells. Every other third-party merchant I have dealt with over the years has done likewise. A pity that US Micro has broken the string.

Transit (New York Review Books Classics)
Transit (New York Review Books Classics)
Offered by Penguin Random House Publisher Services
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous book, August 5, 2013
It has been many years since I read a novel as spellbinding as this. I can't recommend if too highly.

Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, Cherry, 12 Fluid Ounce (355 ml) (Pack of 3)
Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, Cherry, 12 Fluid Ounce (355 ml) (Pack of 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh gosh, it's not emulsified!, August 4, 2013
I have been spooning Twinlab cod liver oil every morning for several years, and I was delighted to see that it had returned to the Amazon store. Ugh! This "cherry" brand isn't emulsified like the orange version I have become addicted to. It's clear, so difficult to measure in a tablespoon, and it's thin, so the oil gets onto the bottle and my fingers and makes things generally icky. I'm going to dump this stuff and buy the more palatable version elsewhere. (Come on, Amazon! Bring the emulsified version back!)

Aha! Here's the good stuff:Twinlab Cod Liver Oil, Emulsified Norwegian, Orange, 12 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 8:33 AM PST

Double A 22 lb. Premium Paper, Letter Size, 5 Reams, 2500 Total Sheets  (AA 22# 5RM CART)
Double A 22 lb. Premium Paper, Letter Size, 5 Reams, 2500 Total Sheets (AA 22# 5RM CART)
Price: $33.63
4 used & new from $33.63

5.0 out of 5 stars What part of "free shipping" don't they understand?, July 9, 2013
Most of the reviewers here think this is a wonderful product but prefer the price once offered by Office Depot. Well, if I drive to the nearest Office Depot, note that two things have changed:

1) I have burned two gallons of gasoline @$3.48.

2) The product is no longer stocked, so I either come away empty-handed or buy something else.

Amazon by contrast is shipping the half-case to me for less than $34, brought to my doorstep by the UPS driver the day after tomorrow.

What's not to like?

OVERDRIVE PROTM 3G/4G MOBILE HOTSPOT - Virgin Mobil
OVERDRIVE PROTM 3G/4G MOBILE HOTSPOT - Virgin Mobil
10 used & new from $50.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not authenticate; customer service no help, April 18, 2013
I can't speak to how this device works when it's up and running, because I have not been able to get it up and running. I called the help desk and got a representative whose accent was so heavy that I could barely understand her. After twenty minutes, I gave up and promised to try further on my own. Since I always ran up against the same block--"Authentication failed"--I called again next morning and got a rep with better English-language skills. I worked with her for half an hour, basically going around in circles. Whatever she suggested, "Authentication failed". Finally she speculated that Comcast was somehow blocking rival wi fi devices, so that I should leave the house until I was out of range and try again. This seem absurd to me (I had earlier turned off the Comcast modem and Netgear router at her suggestion) but agreed to try it.

Of course that didn't work either. I tried it at various locations throughout the day, on my laptop, tablet, and smartphone: "Authentication failed"!

I have requested a return authorization (I bought it from Virgin Mobile, unwisely, rather than from Amazon) and refund, as well as cancellation of my $55 monthly broadband fee, but have not yet received a reply.

My suggestion: if you buy this device, buy it from Amazon, which has a good and transparent return policy! And don't buy the $55 plan to start, until you know that the devices works.

UPDATE: I was told by email to phone for a return authorization, which I did, and again got a rep with such poor English language skills that I had to go online to confirm the mailing address (Brightpoint North America in Plainfield, Indiana). In the course of doing that, I discovered that the "help" desk is apparently located in Nicaragua, and also that Virgin Mobile has nothing to do with Richard Branson but is a subsidiary of Sprint, two discoveries that go a long way to explain the difficulties I've had. The device went into the mail yesterday. I will report back on my success or lack of it in getting a refund. In the meantime, BEWARE!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2015 5:58 PM PST

Last Night in Twisted River: A Novel
Last Night in Twisted River: A Novel
by John Irving
Price: $14.40
252 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Did he who Freed the Bears make you?, March 17, 2013
I was once the most literary of young men, gorging on Important Novels. As I grew older, I became disenchanted with Importance, and in time I pretty much gave up on fiction altogether, with two exceptions: John Irving and Tom Wolfe, whom I rated Best American Novelists of the Second Half of the 20th Century. Alas for my rating system, Mr. Irving has rather dropped out of the running, if Twisted River is to be taken as the best he can now give us.

Don't get me wrong! It is far and away better than 90 percent of anything published in the last ten years. But at the same time, it doesn't come close to matching Setting Free the Bears, The Hotel New Hampshire, The World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules....

I'm about halfway through. (Mr. Irving, like Mr. Wolfe, writes LONG novels.) I will persist, but I am sad of heart.

(Plus I am reasonably sure that nobody vomited green beer on Evacuation Day in Boston in 1954. That, like Mr. Irving himself, came a bit later.)

Panasonic VIERA TC-L37E5 37-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (2012 Model)
Panasonic VIERA TC-L37E5 37-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (2012 Model)

4.0 out of 5 stars Check the price / don't throw out the box! / a couple problems, March 2, 2013
Final update: I've upped the rating to four stars because I really do like the Panasonic despite the problems I've had with it. Plus the fact that the major problem was not the Panasonic's doing!

I was very excited about this set because it fit exactly into the bookcase space available for it, and there was a short, easy run to my Comcast modem. Alas:

1) The set arrived, and next morning it was priced well below what I paid for it. I requested a refund.

2) The first assembly required was to attach a bracket to the base with four machine crews. I could not find them, so I went to the garage and carefully went through all the packaging outtakes. I found the four screws inside a fairly large plastic bag, secured in their own compartment at the bottom, so they could not be shaken out or even found by exploring fingers. Watch for this!

3) One can't run an ethernet cord to the modem but must go to the router, so I had to order a longer cord. Worse, I got only black-white reception my DVD player with component video connection, and since the new telly has only the one component input, I can't use the VHS player at all. So I ordered a $90 player from Amazon in hopes that with HDMI input I will once again see color, and also that the VHS will give better results when it takes over the component video cords. Some of this of course was to be expected: technology moves on at an increasing pace.

4) When the ethernet cord arrived, I still couldn't get an internet connection. Yet when I ran the cord to the new DVD/BluRay player, it was an instant connect. I conclude I got a lemon, and I am returning it for replacement.

UPDATE: Guess what? The cord (also from Amazon) was defective. When the replacement telly arrived, I had the same problem, so I tried a different ethernet cord, and behold! I had an internet connection and could watch Amazon and Netflix movies, hurrah! (By this time, the original ethernet cord didn't work with the Blu Ray player either, so clearly it has a dodgy wire somewhere, that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

So while I am still grinding my teeth over the problems I encountered installing this gadget, I am in the end very happy with it. So--four stars!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2013 9:54 AM PST

Belkin Classic Case for Kindle Fire HD 7", Blacktop (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7")

4.0 out of 5 stars no frills, just a workable solution, February 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What can I say about anything so unprepossessing and homely as this black protective cover for my Fire HD? Well, it works! What else matters?

Previously I've stuck my Fire in a padded book bag while traveling, only to have it slip out when I wasn't looking. So I ordered up the Belkin case. It snapped right on, it didn't block access to the headphone jack or the charging port or the off/on switch, and I have a fine sense that the Fire's screen won't be scratched or broken in any conceivable use. The case has the further advantage that when I open it as I would a book, the on/off switch is always at the top, so I don't have to search for it. Altogether, a very useful item.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12