Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Scott > Reviews

Browse

Scott's Profile

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Burly & Grum and The Birthday Surprise (The Burly & Grum Tales Book 3)
Burly & Grum and The Birthday Surprise (The Burly & Grum Tales Book 3)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and action-packed adventure, February 23, 2012
I absolutely adored the first two Burly & Grum tales so, naturally, I was thrilled to find out the author published a third book in the series. I expected it to be as funny and action-filled as the previous installments, and to my delight, it exceeded my expectations.

In The Birthday Surprise, Burly's looking forward to his birthday and spending the day on the beach. What he doesn't know though is that there's a bank robber on the island and a quiet day is the last thing Burly will have, what with Burly having to help Detective Finn to find the gang and nothing turning out as planned.

I cannot stress out enough how much I love the Burly & Grum series, both the writing and the illustrations. They're filled with twist and turns, a great adventure, and humor. I'd recommend this book to both the young and the young-at-heart, and hope the author will write many more Burly & Grum adventures.

Witch Shifter Romance: The Fallen One (Sons of the Dark Mother, Book 2, Novella)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and substantial paranormal mystery, February 20, 2012
This book is the first in Ms. Wolfe's Sons of the Dark Mother trilogy. It all starts with the gruesome murder of a gang. Everyone thinks it's the result of gangs fighting, but Justice, the only survivor, knows something else is going on and whatever's to blame might just be inside him.
Fast forward fifteen years and the girl who watched the murder scene when her father investigated, twenty-something-year-old Jes, is a detective who hasn't forgotten the mystery was never solved. She knows who or, better said, what Justice is because she was gifted the same powers with the only difference that she hasn't used them...yet. Even though she believes Justice to be a murderer, she vows to find him because there's something she needs from him. Not only can he shed some light on what really happened on that fateful night fifteen years ago and why he was forced to turn at such a young age, he's also the only person who knows something about her parents' disappearance.

I'm a big fan of the paranormal /dark fantasy genre but that's not why I liked this book so much. From the very beginning The Fallen One has an eerie gothic atmosphere and as the plot moves forward the tale becomes even spookier. The characters are deep and described in such vivid detail that I had no trouble imagining them. The setting is unique, and the background story is something that hasn't been done before. What impressed me the most, however, was the writing. It's easy to read but at the same time lyrical with beautiful description and the mystery that engulfs both Jes and Justice had me spell-bound. There's plenty of action, drama, and a blossoming romance.

This is a must read and I'm looking forward to great things from this series. I hope the second book will be out soon.

Guardians of the Cross (Warrior, #2)
Guardians of the Cross (Warrior, #2)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, January 23, 2012
I picked Guardians of the Cross after enjoying Warriors of the Cross. That one was an incredible read, fast-paced, packed with action and mysterious characters. I didn't think the second book could get any better, but it did.

Twenty-four-year-old Allison stands in the middle of a war between good and evil. As the only person in the world bestowed with the ability to heal those wounded, she is much sought after, but also faces a great peril. Whenever she heals someone, she is bonded to the person and sees visions of events yet to come. In her quest to protect the people she saves and the ones she loves, she must face the one person who almost killed her: Devin slash his twin brother Darryl. Only, Allison's meant to protect Devin after saving him from a horrible fate in his mother's womb. And now she's at a crossroads. How can she save the ones she loves when she's meant to protect the enemy, who would do anything to hurt her?

I thought this book was fantastic and couldn't put it down. The author has introduced a plethora of new elements that kept me glued to my screen. I loved the twists and turns and the spine-chilling thriller parts I didn't see coming. The ending left me eagerly awaiting the third installment. All in all, this is a must-read, well-written book that I'd recommend to young adult and adult readers.

Let's Get Lade
Let's Get Lade
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful read, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Let's Get Lade (Kindle Edition)
I found this book absolutely hilarious and a suspenseful read. So here's the deal:

Freddie Fraser has never in his life seen the glamour that defines the rooms inside one of the most famous and posh hotels in New York, The Plaza. To woo the girl of his dreams though, he's very much willing to let his brother, hotel clerk Alex, use the famous penthouse for one evening in order to impress the young woman. What Freddie doesn't know, however, is that a few other people are booked in there at the same time. First, there's Henry Lade who's a spy novelist that needs protection by the Secret Service because his spy novels have been ringing a bit suspicious to a few political powers. The Russians and Germans believe Lade might've discovered a major plot and now Lade's life at risk. And second, there are the Beatles who happen to stay in the penthouse suite as well. What should be a straightforward job for the spies, turns into a hilarious tale of mix-ups that will keep you on your toes.

If you haven't read anything by Thomas Amo, this is one story you shouldn't miss out on. It's so funny and witty I laughed all the way through it, and would recommend it to anyone who likes tasteful humour, a well written tale and a good spy adventure.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written and inspiring story, December 30, 2011
When the husband leaves her for a younger woman, Georgia knows she has to get her stuff together and leaves to spend some time with her best friend where she promptly finds out she's pregnant with the cheating husband. On a shopping trip, she witnesses a robbing and is kidnapped by the robbers but something happens on the way to the place where they plan to kill her. Suddenly, Georgia's strength of character is put to the test when faced with the life-threatening situation of surviving in the wilderness, heavily pregnant. Winter's Captive was a fantastic read with drama and tension from start to finish. It was also mystical in places and really made me consider my worldview. Georgia was a strong heroine, funny and feisty at times, but also vulnerable, which made me like her a lot. This is a suspenseful with a unique voice and plenty of twists and turns. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can only recommend it!

Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence (bk2) (Paradox series)
Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence (bk2) (Paradox series)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, December 16, 2011
I absolutely adored the first book of the Paradox series, The Angels Are Here, and naturally had to pick up the second one as soon as soon as it was available in the Amazon UK store. Progeny of Innocence was an even more amazing, wicked read than The Angels Are Here.

The novel begins with a brief account of the background story and is narrated by Juliette. Juliette is an old soul reborn in the body of a young girl, Grace. In the first book, Grace was just a girl, now she's a 16-year-old teenager who's plagued by visions she doesn't understand even though she desperately tries to put the pieces of the puzzle together in order to find out who Juliette really was and what exactly happened to her world. Grace never really got over her father's death, so when she meets the new boy in town, Damon, he takes on a very important role in her life as her love interest and the one that makes her loss more bearable, along with Wade. But soon things start to get strange and it's obvious there's a killer on the loose, though it's doubtable that he's human. I could feel the spark between Grace and Damon, though I'm not yet sure whether he's good or bad.

I liked Grace in the first book, but in this one she was even more likeable and had me rooting for her when the fallen angels (called Grigorians) came closer to finding her. I thought she came across as honest and responsible, just the way someone with her importance in the fate of heaven and earth should be. I liked that she's become an adult now and that she understands the importance of what's going on around her.

One of my favorite characters was Keyla, who is a secondary character and the bearer of magic of the ancient race, Bakhna Rakhna. There was some sort of mystery surrounding her and I can't wait to find out what her story and role is in the ancient battle between the angel houses.

All in all, this was such an amazing, well-written read I thoroughly enjoyed and can only recommend. I'm astounded by the writer's imagination, the rich writing and beautiful prose as well as the intrinsic plot. If you're hesitating, get the sample first. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put it down.

I Believe
I Believe
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening read, December 16, 2011
This review is from: I Believe (Kindle Edition)
I'm one of those people who kinda believe when we die, something must stay behind, be it the soul, a higher conscious, or a residue of our inner self so, naturally, I picked this up to read about other people's experiences. I Believe was such an amazing, eye opening read, comprised of several accounts of people and their experiences with something 'out of this world.' It was interesting to the point that I couldn't put it down. The writing was sharp and to the point, leaving you eager to read on to find out what the next person had to share. Very good and inspiring novella that I'd thoroughly recommend.

Qi (Book of the Baba Yaga)
Qi (Book of the Baba Yaga)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, November 28, 2011
I loved Qi. It's one of those books that leave a life long impression and still haunt you a long time after reading it. So here's the story: Samantha and her sister, Abby, are accepted into the famous Xenith Academy, where only the best of the best athletes get to train for the Olympics. Abby is thrilled because she's the competitive type and wants to win at all costs. Samantha is thrilled also, but not for the same reasons as Abby. At Xenith, Samantha meets her mother, whom she hasn't seen for a long time. But there's something wrong with her mother. She's mysterious. Different. Not the woman Sam remembers.
At Xenith, Sam also gets reunited with Eli and their attraction to one another is rekindled. But Eli is haunted by his brother's disappearance and that the mystery was never solved. Everyone tells them to let it be and accept Jonah's disappearance, but Sam vows to find out what happened to him and where he disappeared that fateful night. And so Sam and Eli embark on a dangerous adventure, solving clue after clue that leads them to a dark and dangerous secret. One that shows them how dangerous Xenith really is, and that not everyone living there is who they say they are. And so Sam's life and strength is put to the test.

I absolutely adored Sam. She's such a strong and witty character. She's a fighter who isn't easily scared, but she also has a few weaknesses that make her endearing and easy to relate to, such as her hopes that her parents might reunite eventually, or her attraction to Eli and her fears that her archrival might just snatch his attention. I loved the chemistry between Sam and Eli, and rooted for her that he would choose her over her archrival. Her fears and insecurities made her real to me.
Sam's sister, Abby, is a great character too and very different from Sam. She's competitive and determined to succeed, but not at the cost of other people's happiness. Her transformation throughout the book was portrayed amazingly real, but I won't say whether it was in a positive or negative light.
The story had a few amazing twists that kept the suspense at an all time high. I was astonished at how the story turned out and never saw it coming. This was such a fantastic read and so unexpected for this price. I can only recommend it to readers of fantasy and paranormal literature, both young and mature, who're looking for something different that hasn't been done before.

Agartha's Last Hope - Book 2 (Second book in the Trapped In The Hollow Earth Saga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great story, November 25, 2011
The first book in the series, Agartha's Castaway, ended with such a great hook that I had to get the second book, Agartha's Last Hope, which was just as great a read.

This one picks up right where the other ended. Having just lost their friend, Jack, Casey and Mike are left to solve the mystery of his disappearance. Where did Jack go? What happened to him? Is there hope that they might find him alive? Finally escaping the dangerous clutches of the jungle with its deadly inhabitants, Casey and Mike find a glass city where another adventure awaits them.
Earth is in danger and all her inhabitants could be wiped out within less than a day. Being the only `humans', Casey and Mike are the only ones who could save the planet and the human race. But Casey and Mike know nothing about the other worlds out there and the danger they will soon face.
With time running out, will Casey and Mike manage to find and save Jack from sure death, and win the battle against the most dangerous enemies earth has ever seen?

I thought this was a fantastic read full of drama and fast-paced action, and a love triangle that might just tear two friends apart. I especially loved the twists that kept coming and the author's inventiveness. Agartha's Last Hope is a very well written adventure for young adults and adults that kept me on the edge of my seat. I'll be sure to look out for more books by this talented author.

Burly & Grum and the Secret City (A Burly and Grum Tale Book 2)
Burly & Grum and the Secret City (A Burly and Grum Tale Book 2)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, November 5, 2011
Absolutely beautiful story about the importance of friendship and sticking together. When Max is captures by some mean hunters, his best friends Burly and Max don't doubt for a minute that they'll save him. Together they embark on a breathtaking and at times hilarious adventure to save both Max and their beloved secret city.

I found this book not only inspiring but also cute and extremely well written. The author has a magical way with words that made the story come to life. The characters weren't just characters in my head; I could picture them before my eyes, I laughed with them and experienced their tension and joy. I absolutely adored this story and can't believe it's free. A great read not just for kids but also for the young at heart. Thoroughly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8