Profile for redynstruc > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

redynstruc "Kurt" RSS Feed (Wisconsin, USA)

The Gnostics: The First Christian Heretics (Pocket Essential series)
The Gnostics: The First Christian Heretics (Pocket Essential series)
Price: $8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and readable, February 9, 2013
This book provides a good introduction to Gnosticism as well as a readable explanation of the reasons why it was considered heretical.

Jung - The Key Ideas: Teach Yourself
Jung - The Key Ideas: Teach Yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Summation of Jung's Ideas and Life, August 26, 2012
I downloaded this primarily for the purpose of understanding the theory of personality types, upon which tests such as Briggs-Meyers are based. It certainly met my objective, but also helped me to better understand Jung's thoughts about dreams and symbols, differences between his thoughts and those of Gnosticism, and several other subjects. Snowden does a good job of covering each topic without going so deep that you spend an inordinate amount of time learning about Jung.

Voices of Gnosticism: Interviews with Elaine Pagels, Marvin Meyer, Bart Ehrman, Bruce Chilton and Other Leading Scholars
Price: $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars You can read this book anywhere you would like., April 24, 2011
When I read "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" in the "Product Details" section for this book, I was hoping this wasn't some fancy way of saying I could loan it to as many friends as I wanted, but only with a password which expired in 14 days - or some other nonsense such as this. As it turns out, it means just what I was hoping: you can read it with any program that supports the AZW file format.

Kudos to the author/publisher for not putting digital rights management (DRM) controls on this book. Several weeks ago, I swore off ever buying another book with DRM from Amazon because it prevented me from being able to load it into my library manager - Calibre - and read it with Calibre's internal reader.

As for the content of the book, itself, as a relatively new student of Gnosticism (BTW, I make no apologies to Professor Pagels for the use of this term), I found it extremely invaluable. By bringing together some of the most knowledgeable people on this subject and, in an interview format in which the interlocutor appears to be as knowledgeable as his guests, I was able to grasp the differences between the various Gnostic traditions, the subtlety of which, until now, had mostly confused me.

For one who might be swimming in all the books on Gnosticism, wondering which way to go, Voices gives you a very good sense of who you might want to read next. For my part, I will be avoiding Professors Pagels and King (two individuals who seem not to recognize that Gnostic Christianity is different enough from Orthodox Christianity to deserve its own category) and, instead, moving in the direction of folks like Professors Meyer and DeConick whose views, while starkly different on the role of Judas, both serve to enlighten the reader on some of the core beliefs of Gnosticism.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2011 10:07 PM PDT