Profile for William Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 423

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William Smith RSS Feed (Fontana, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shockwave Supernova
Shockwave Supernova
Price: $10.79
47 used & new from $6.85

3.0 out of 5 stars The playing is masterful but.., July 24, 2015
This review is from: Shockwave Supernova (Audio CD)
Honestly the songs are just not very memorable. I thought black swans was a return to form and then unstoppable momentum was a fair follow up but it didn't really knock me out. Shockwave is another tepid album in the vein of super colossal...it's possible it will grow on me but then again super colossal never did.

1. Shockwave Supernova (HIT)
2. Lost in a Memory (MISS)
3. Crazy Joey (HIT)
4. In My Pocket (MISS)
5. On Peregrine Wings (HIT)
6. Cataclysmic (HIT) (Best here)
7. San Francisco Blue (HIT)
8. Keep on Movin' (MISS)
9. All of My Life (MISS)
10. A Phase I'm Going Through (HIT)
11. Scarborough Stomp (MISS)
12. Butterfly and Zebra (MISSSSSS)
13. If There Is No Heaven (HIT)
14. Stars Race Across the Sky (MISS)
15. Goodbye Supernova (HIT)

After hearing the cd approx 5 times i like 8 of the 15 tracks, for me that's just an "ok" cd. How a song like Lost in a Memory is the 2nd song is just bewildering..the song imo is an absolute bore..the cd opens strong - closes strong but is all over the place -- even stronger songs like On Peregrine Wings have issues, it sounds a lot like Train of Angels from Crystal Planet.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

Chef (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
Chef (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Jon Favreau
Price: $12.99
50 used & new from $5.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, I'm still hungry.., February 15, 2015
I loved Jon Favreaus exuberance towards cooking, was probably the highlight, I truly believed he was a top-flight Chef.. the rest, not so much...just didn't see him with Sofia Vergara - ex or otherwise. The son "Percy" Emjay Anthony was a rather dull addition to the cast which could have made this a much better movie had this been cast better. Little things like Carl "being broke" then spending thousands of dollars on restoring the food truck just didn't ring true (on credit?). The feel good ending with him working in the critics restaurant? Why go back to that when he was perfectly happy in the truck? Just didn't make much sense..

3 out of 5

Guardians of the Galaxy (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital HD)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Chris Pratt
Price: $27.84
50 used & new from $20.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Another "Tween" bomb, February 8, 2015
Humor fell flat more than it worked..the soundtrack I don't think really fit/melded as expected..second rate 5th element costumes were lousy when not distracting..decent post production effects but there just wasn't much for me to like here - the cast included.

Thumbs down from me -- add it to the Frozen/LEGO movie hysteria.. This just felt like a huge budgeted FOX kids Saturday morning show.

D+

Only to Rise
Only to Rise
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not memorable either..., January 27, 2015
This review is from: Only to Rise (MP3 Music)
Michael Sweet has always been one of my favorite singers in this genre and of course who doesn't love George Lynch? My problem with this disc is the songs aren't very special they all sound fairly similar and Michael honestly is just too loud in the mix... And call me crazy but I think many of these songs are in the same key/tempo making them seem even more similar than they really are. You could do a lot worse than this release (the guitar is really good) but I was truly hoping for something more memorable..this reminds me somewhat of the Lynch/Pilson solo stuff, again, not bad but easily forgotten. It just doesn't sound like they "lived" with the material enough, or that it was hastily recorded.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2015 8:17 PM PDT

Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $59.99
9 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I give five stars when five stars are due!!!, October 10, 2014
Very pleased with this my first foray into the switch game. - I highly recommend this- there are no buttons per se but whatever system or player you have on it automatically switches to that input. and absolutely no picture degradation I am very fussy and picky about that stuff LOL.it also comes with a small remote if you want to switch them manually.

I had worried about getting error messages from noncompliance-as some other reviews mentioned..but if you do get those rest assured it's your TV - not this device... Yes your TV firmware can be upgraded!! I have the ps4 ps3 xbox 1 and xbox 360 hooked to it - flawless victory!!

A+

Rock Your Face Off
Rock Your Face Off
Price: $9.75
48 used & new from $5.69

2.0 out of 5 stars These Kix are for kids, August 5, 2014
This review is from: Rock Your Face Off (Audio CD)
This is just a completely unimpressive CD. I think the production quality is really good they sound really good but the bottom line is the songs just aren't very good... Other than the first song and maybe one or two others there's nothing that really stands out here.. Certainly nothing that I can stack up to midnight dynamite... The most disappointing aspect of this CD are the lyrics they're just very very juvenile, simple and almost insulting.

Thumbs down after two listens.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 8:40 PM PDT

Redeemer of Souls
Redeemer of Souls
Price: $10.69
96 used & new from $3.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Redeemer of Nostradamus anyway, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
I like this new cd but I don't love it. I bought the "mega edition" and that's for not since not one of the bonus songs are really worth hearing imo...I always seem to be disappointed when I ''go big'', I don't know why I keep doing it! Overall the disc starts strong but loses it's way by the time it gets to "Down in Flames" and "Crossfire". This same thing happened to the new Stryper, it just feels top-loaded with the best and then it meanders after that; Beginning of the End is the exception..the standard cd ends on a decent note with BotE; if you didn't buy the upgraded edition you didn't miss much, all 5 songs imo feel like what they are - leftovers.

My fave tracks are Redeemer, Sword of Damocles, and March of. It has what I feel are 10 strong tracks, I have paired down my own version of this and cut off some of the fluff like the first 30 seconds of Hell and Back and the first 16 seconds of Dragonaut..long term I just want the songs to START already!!

The packaging and artwork are all top flight, and with the inclusion of the note from the Priest and TWO "thanks and goodbye" songs I have to think this is it for them, it's been a fun ride, but uneven over the past 10 years or more. In all honesty I think I preferred "Angel of Retribution" but this is a far sight better than Nostradamus. *Notably absent is Halfords patented "scream" making many songs feel same-y with lines delivered so monotonically and dryly. 2.5 out 5
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 12:15 PM PDT

Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla (2014)
DVD
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Vanilla Godzilla, June 3, 2014
I can say that judging from the trailer I expected more.. Maybe something more along the lines of a Cloverfield...but this movie is just too unfocused. The movie was called Godzilla but they focused on everything but. Godzilla felt like a guest star in his own movie. This movie needed some serious tightening up, the script was a mess from top to bottom (did they PLAN for Godzilla to just "runaway" after defeating the two generic looking creatures? Why would you assume that?) In the end this is just another creature feature with good effects, unbelievably good sound design, this movie will win an award for sound, and the usual underdeveloped characters that nobody really cares about. In short, I'm glad I spent the afternoon with a good friend in an air-conditioned theater, on the other hand I could never recommend this movie to anyone.

Red Dragon Cartel
Red Dragon Cartel
Price: $10.00
62 used & new from $4.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Could get better with listenings but..., April 12, 2014
This review is from: Red Dragon Cartel (Audio CD)
Is this the best Jake could come up with after years away? A revolving door of singers doesn't help..why not just stick with ONE SINGER? This album is just a calamity of styles, totally in cohesive.. and yet not "terrible" just disjointed. The first 3 songs are probably the strongest ` then possible Big Mouth (hate the chorus though).. I never liked Paul D'Anno and I still don't here.. In all honesty this album could actually be near 5 stars if Ozzy were singing on it.. In the end I give this 2.5 stars - about what I give the new Sabbath that just comes off as boring as hell - plodding and mundane.. RDC has a lot more energy and is a better listen, but has a whole other host of issues. Ozzy - you need Jake - Jake you need Ozzy.

Close To You [Remastered]
Close To You [Remastered]
Price: $7.39
84 used & new from $0.76

2.0 out of 5 stars Left overs?, April 9, 2014
Who doesn't love the beauty of Karen's voice? That wouldn't be possible...But this collection of songs just do nothing for me, and sound like left over scraps from a decent album.....or a 3rd or 4th great hits..(other than the songs we've heard before on The Greatest Hits) -- the final song Another Song is particularly ambitious but the album as a whole is totally flat. Pass.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 10:53 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20