Profile for Scott W. Hutton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott W. Hutton RSS Feed (Evans, WV USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 4GB/64GB - 4YM-00001
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 4GB/64GB - 4YM-00001
Offered by TigerDirect, Inc.
Price: $799.99
24 used & new from $769.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a tablet you can work on, August 7, 2014
First Surface tablet I've purchased, bought it to be a "companion" to my laptop... mostly for mobility, writing, etc. Have to say, I am VERY impressed. I use it at work for meetings. The stylus pen is extremely smooth and it really feels like you're writing on a piece of paper. I wasn't expecting it to be so good, to be honest. Everyone at the table was asking to see my notes afterwards, to see how the pen wrote. LOL

I personally love the form factor. The 3:2 aspect ratio is what I've been waiting for in a tablet, and this one delivers. The build is very solid. Even with "just" 4 GB of RAM and the i3 processor, the Surface Pro is fast, smooth, and responsive. I've fully integrated into my work network, etc. with no problems.

The screen is gorgeous. You've probably read that before from others, and it's actually true.

The biggest drawback is -- as others have mentioned -- the app store. Some of the existing apps just aren't as good as those on iOS or Android tablets. They seem like "add-ons" or afterthoughts. But the Windows App Store is much improved over where it was even a year ago, and it is getting better. I really hope the strong demand for the Pro 3 will help drive some more app developers here. On a positive note, the Bing series of apps (News, Weather, Sports, Finance, Health, etc.) are VERY good. I used them all and really like them.

Once Microsoft full integrates their operating systems with Windows 9, the Surface will really come into its own.

If you're looking for a laptop replacement, the Surface Pro 3 can do that. The screen is big enough, and you can do actual work on it, as it's full Windows 8.1. I do work on it every day with no problems.... even with the i3. With OneDrive integration, storage isn't an issue anymore.

Microsoft has finally got one right. I've used Android tablets of various makes and iPads and this is better in terms of producing and working.

The Conlanger's Lexipedia
The Conlanger's Lexipedia
by Mark Rosenfelder
Price: $12.86
2 used & new from $12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, December 21, 2013
I own all of Mr. Rosenfelder's books, and this, in my opinion, is the best. This is a must read as you start to develop your own conlanguage and conculture. I highly recommend becoming familiar with this book BEFORE you start developing words for your conlanguage if at all possible. The Conlanger's Lexipedia really gives you a broad, interesting view of how words form, why they form, and what they would/could come to mean inside a culture. I have a conlang of 7,000+ words currently and this book is causing me to go back and revisit literally everything about the words I have and why I have them. It really causes you to think about how your culture would view a variety of categories and how word stocks would develop around them. Can't recommend this book enough!

Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Showerhead, Chrome Finish
Price: $30.99
49 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely pleased I bought this, August 14, 2012
This does everything it claims and more. Noticeable different in my skin after the first shower. Our water is pretty hard, and this shower head instantly softened it. The flow is great. My wife commented last night that my skin is much softer now (been using about a week). If you're on the fence, buy this shower head. It is as good as advertised!

EXOTEK Premium Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case With Multi-Angle Stand For Google Nexus 7 Tablet (With Automatic Sleep/Wake Function) (Black)
Offered by Digital Media Source
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, August 7, 2012
Fits perfectly on my Nexus 7. Very snug and you don't get any sense the tablet is going to fall out. Love the auto sleep/wake - I could never go back to just a "normal" case now LOL. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a slim case for their Nexus 7.

BLUREX Leather ULTRA-SLIM folio Case With convertible Stand for Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 8, 16, 32 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!, May 2, 2012
I wanted a case that was lightweight, allowed easy access to all my Thrive's ports, was easy to use WITH the tablet, and protected my Thrive. I found it all with this case. I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended. Fits perfectly, feels great, is lightweight, and very easy to use on your lap, with USB keyboards, etc. I'd give this case 10 stars if possible. If you're looking for something with a small footprint, yet offers good protection and easy access, this is the case for you!

iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Amazon Fire Phone and iPhone 6 Plus (5.5), Galaxy S5/S4/Note4/Note3 (HLCRIO101)
Price: $19.99
15 used & new from $16.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 17, 2012
Very good quality. Solid construction. Will fit a Galaxy Note with a slim-fit case with no problem. Easy to adjust and move around. Very impressed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2013 6:53 PM PDT

Logitech 920-003390 Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 Plus
Logitech 920-003390 Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 Plus
Offered by EWorld
Price: $89.99
16 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Tablets, April 6, 2012
Great for tablets. Great size, keys are about the perfect size for typing. Super easy to pair. Very responsive. Keys feel very good, great tactile feedback. Worked extremely well with my Toshiba Thrive. Would highly recommend.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4G, Blue (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4G, Blue (AT&T)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm finally home..., April 3, 2012
I finally feel like I'm home. I instantly fell in love with the Note. You can't say enough about the screen and what 5.3" actually looks like. Everything pops, is crystal clear, and the colors are vibrant. The Note is easily the fastest phone I've ever had. My previous phone was a Samsung Captivate - and the Note absolutely blows it away in every respect speedwise. There is no comparison. Everything, from connecting to WiFi networks to closing browsers, to opening documents, to buffering and watching video is much faster with the Note. It's noticeably faster in everything.

I wasn't sold on the S-pen at first, but is so responsive and intuitive that I find myself using it all the time. The Note's battery life has been the subject of some mixed reviews, but let me say that I've only charged my Note once over a three day span and I'm using it a lot (probably 2-3 solid hours of use a day). It fits fine in my pant's pocket at work and I've had no issues with the size at all. I'm not a large man (5'10"), and the Note is easy to hold and use. It feels solid in your hand, but isn't heavy or bulky.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this phone/tablet ("phablet") to anyone. The screen size alone sold me, but there is so much more to this device that the word "impressive" doesn't really do it justice. Samsung has really hit a homerun here, and it appears that they are going to be developing S-pen enhanced apps for it. The Note's size is very inviting, prodding you to use it as more than "just a phone". Great device. I'm finally home!

Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction
Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction
by Ti Alkire
Price: $42.56
45 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, April 3, 2012
If you've ever been interested in how French, Italian, and Spanish generally developed from Vulgar Latin, check out this book. I know, not a large crowd, but I've always been interested in language change, and this book taught me a lot about the variety of changes among the languages and why they happened. There are also chapters with nice overviews of Romanian and Portuguese.

BoxWave Samsung GALAXY Note DuoSuit (Fits both AT&T and International Versions) - Slim-Fit Ultra Durable TPU Case with Stylish "S" Design on Back (Jet Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!, April 3, 2012
The case fits absolutely perfectly on the Galaxy Note. Very snug. Lightweight, adds next to nothing to the overall weight or profile of the Note. Feels great in the hand, and all the buttons are very accessible. I don't know what some others have posted about the holes not lining up on the case with the Note; my aligned absolutely perfectly. The front of the case slightly rises above the Note's touchscreen, which offers further protection from screen-first falls that would likely crack or scratch the glass. I'm more than pleased with this case and would definitely recommend it to anyone who's considering it.

Page: 1 | 2