Profile for David Roy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 560

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Roy RSS Feed (Vancouver, BC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
You Know Who Killed Me (Amos Walker Novels Book 24)
You Know Who Killed Me (Amos Walker Novels Book 24)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The King of Dialogue strikes again, April 30, 2015
"You Know Who Killed Me" is another page-turning book by Loren D. Estleman starring his now famous gumshoe, Amos Walker. In this one, Amos is just getting out of rehab when he's brought in to help on a murder case, though this time it's only sifting through the numerous "leads" caused by a series of billboards and a $10,000 reward for information on New Year's Eve murder.

But we all know Amos isn't going to stop at talking to the lunatics. He's going to somehow get involved in other ways.

He does so in an extremely entertaining fashion, butting heads with the police and generally going where he's not wanted. It wouldn't be Amos Walker if every other character in the book wasn't mad at him at some point.

Estleman once again shows his talent for dialogue and fun situations and any fan of the genre will race through this book as well. The plot is engaging, with a few twists and turns that, while maybe not unexpected, did make me stop and say "oh yeah, of course." I also like the continuity between books that doesn't require reading every one of them, but rewards those of us who do. Walker's Vicodin addiction has been going on for a while now. It's nice to see him in rehab for it.

The only really bad thing is that this is two books in a row now where Estleman has done bad things to an interesting side character. I wish he'd stop that.

He's going to run out of them soon, and he hasn't been creating any more.

Maybe he'll start that instead.

The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
by R. A. Salvatore
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
84 used & new from $2.09

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sundering begins with a visit to old friends, April 29, 2015
I'm guilty of reading most of the Forgotten Realms books I've read completely out of order. I try to read the specific series in order, but often I've already one series before I stumble upon an earlier series and read that one.

Thus, when I read one of R.A. Salvatore's books, I'm often not sure if I've read the previous books or ones that take place later in the timeline. Reading "The Companions," the first book in the 6-part "The Sundering" series, really brought that feeling to the forefront.

For somebody who comes into story in the middle like this, I have to say that Salvatore does a great job of making sure readers are kept up to speed without providing the massive infodumps that sometimes mar various Star Trek books. I had no trouble following along as Salvatore laid out the story before him, that of three of the original four companions of the heralded Dark Elf, Drizzt. Reborn after dying a century ago, reincarnated by a goddess in order to be at the right place at the right time for Drizzt, and to reform the party of heroes for the future cataclysmic events.

As we watched these three heroes live the 21 years before they are supposed to meet up again, I almost felt like I was watching John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, wandering the Forgotten Realms saying that they were going to get the band back together again.

It's a very good novel, with prose typical of the genre: kind of clunky, lots of exclamation marks in the narration (which I really can't stand, actually, since I don't want the author to be telling me when something exciting happens instead of actually writing something exciting) but flowing well and making the reader want to find out what happens next.

I had to laugh at the rebirth scenes, with these fully adult consciousnesses going through childbirth again. That must have been a hoot to write.

Overall, I'd recommend this novel for any fan of the Dungeons & Dragons books. It's a reliable read. You know what you're going to get, and it's good to revisit old friends.

MONTAR By WinnerGear Best Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS PDA One Hand 360 Rotation Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Samsung Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4
Offered by Watch-Buy-Save
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The solution to your car mount needs, April 17, 2015
I've been looking for something to let me have my phone within easy reach and able to see it while driving in my car. What good is the GPS app if it's sitting on my passenger seat? What if you want to move to the next song because you don't like what just came on?

I hadn't been able to find one that I liked, so it was nice to receive an email from MONTAR asking if I would review their universal car mount.

I figured it was worth a try.

Boy, was it ever.

The expandable grip works great for almost any size phone. My wife's iPhone 6+ fit snugly inside it, though I don't know if I would want to try something much bigger than that. The expandable clamps seemed stretched to the max. But considering how big the 6+ is, you're most likely not going to have any trouble with your phone.

The suction cup on the bottom holds the car mount securely to your dashboard. I admit that I haven't tried hanging it from the window, just because I don't like that aesthetic. It would block my view too much. But the dashboard? That sucker isn't moving.

Which brings me to the only negative aspect. While you can certainly get the car mount off of your dashboard to move it around (the box even includes a diagram of how to do it), mine was stuck so tight that it took a bit of effort to pull off. That does mean that you shouldn't have to worry about it coming off by itself, but it's a bit annoying if you decide you want to switch it to a different spot.

One final thing that I love about this car mount is that the clamps rotate a full 360 degrees.

I had my phone vertical for a little while, but found that it was distracting me a little too much in my field of vision. I simply rotated it 90 degrees and have my phone in a horizontal orientation and it works great!

I highly recommend this car mount. I've had it for a month now and it's been wonderful for me.

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and Micro-usb Devices Gold, Fits Samsung, HTC

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away as fast as you can, March 8, 2015
I wish I could give this a 0. Like the other reviewers, the design is nice and would be wonderful, but it does not work as described. The charge is very slow and either it does not charge fully (overnight time frame) or just has a capability of approximately 25% recharge.

I emailed multiple times to try to get resolution of two defective items. It has now been approximately six weeks and I cannot get a response. If you feel like gambling that you will get a working item, then certainly buy it, but if it doesn't work you will NOT get a response and they do not stand behind their items.

If you want to see what NOT to do with respect to customer service and standing behind your goods, check out the Indiegogo campaign website.

Buyer beware. You'll do better buying a $10 Hong Kong cheapie - at least it will work for a week or two.

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and Micro-usb Devices Blue Fits Samsung, HTC

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away as fast as you can, March 8, 2015

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and Micro-usb Devices Silver Fits Samsung, HTC and More
2 used & new from $25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away as fast as you can, March 8, 2015

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and IOS Lightning Cable Blue Iphone 5, 6 and More!

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away as fast as you can, March 8, 2015

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and IOS Lightning Cable Gold, Iphone 5, 6 and More!

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away as fast as you can, March 8, 2015

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and IOS Lightning Cable Black Iphone 5, 6 and More!

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away from this one as fast as you can, February 24, 2015

Slimger Ultra Slim Charger for Smart Phones and Micro-usb Devices Black For Samsung, HTC

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away from this one as fast as you can, February 24, 2015