Profile for S > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S RSS Feed (Keene, NH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Koss 'The Plug' In-Ear Headphones (Black)
Koss 'The Plug' In-Ear Headphones (Black)
Price: $9.70
57 used & new from $8.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dang earbuds ever invented, December 15, 2014
FAN-tastic. I've been using them for years. Again and again I would try out more elaborate, more expensive earbud options, and I would always return to these. Honestly, I could rave for hours over these earbuds. They’re that good.

Two important tips:

1.) When you put them in your ears, start up some music and then adjust the tilt and depth of them in your ears. Tilt makes a huge difference. You can radically control the sound quality and how much bass vs. treble response you get just by adjusting how they’re positioned in your ears. Amazing. (Anyone writing a negative review here about sound quality is simply not taking five seconds to adjust them in their ears.)

2.) Don’t leave them in a cold car, because they’ll get stiff and won’t form to your ears as well. If you're carrying them around in the cold, take a second to hold them in your hands to warm them up before giving them a pinch and nestling them in your ears.

I love those earbuds. Better than anything you'll find even at 10X the price.

Just get a set and see. It will be the best 10 bucks you’ll ever spend.

Art of Everyday Photography: Move Toward Manual and Make Creative Photos
Art of Everyday Photography: Move Toward Manual and Make Creative Photos
by Susan Tuttle
Price: $19.76
67 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb work by a superb teacher (and artist), November 2, 2014
In this age of incessant point-and-shoot snapshots, finally a voice raised for the glory of artistic photography. With all of the photos being taken (and the gazillion shot with cell phones), I fear we are seeing a trivializing of this medium. Susan Tuttle — in this book and on her blog, which is fantastic — is telling us that all those photos we take throughout the day needn't be boring or unoriginal. Instead, SOME of those photos ... with a little care ... might actually end up being art. Something excellent. Something important. What I love best about this book is Susan's care in finding the extraordinary in (what everyone else would call) the ordinary. What I got most from the book was the inspiration to start shooting my camera more often in manual mode. That takes more attention, requires more care. But that's the whole point. In short: highly recommended! You will love this book.

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien (Play It Like It Is)
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien (Play It Like It Is)
by Joe Satriani
Price: $15.39
62 used & new from $4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The man who brought us Vai, November 2, 2014
This album changed everything for me as a guitarist. I've probably owned it twice on cassette, twice on CD, and have it on two other collections by Satch. This BOOK also changed everything for me. The intelligence and care with which Joe Satriani crafted these songs can't be understated. This is not just some other guitarist playing the endless weedly-weedly-wee you hear from so many 80s shredders. This is masterful songwriting and exhilarating execution. And this transcription is a delight. Top notch across the (fret)board.

Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists
Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists
by Joshua Fields Millburn
Price: $13.60
50 used & new from $5.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, beautifully written, March 4, 2014
I have become a huge fan of Joshua Fields Millburn over the past six months. Discovered him on their minimalist blog ... and just couldn't stop reading his work. I now own all of it, and I return to it often. There is so much wisdom to draw from here, so many small but important shifts of thinking. My life is the better for having stumbled over his site. And this book is the finest of an already fine collection by this incredibly talented writer.

PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
Price: $49.95 - $72.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Our cats LOVE this lounger, January 11, 2014
... and they look so GREAT on it! Really has become the nicest piece of kitty "furniture" we own. They do scratch it a bit, but mostly they just like sitting on it and looking fancy lounging about on it. They also like to play with toys tucked into the two openings. It's quite wonderful and really very well designed and built. Plan to pick up at least one or two more for other rooms in the house.

The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Novels (Slipcased Edition)  (Vol. 3)
The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Novels (Slipcased Edition) (Vol. 3)
by Arthur Conan Doyle
Price: $40.19
61 used & new from $17.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent! Absolutely Magnificent!, December 4, 2013
Gorgeous edition, and incredible annotations. I've read all of Sherlock Holmes several times throughout my life. This edition brings it all to life again, making the experience all the more vivid and delightful.

This edition immediately became one of my most cherished possessions.

11/22/63: A Novel
11/22/63: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: $11.29
213 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King at His Very Best (Extraordinary Novel!), December 4, 2013
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Paperback)
This is Stephen King at his finest — the best I have seen from him since his magnificent novels "It" and "The Stand."

I got this book on Audible initially, fell in love with it immediately, and went on to buy a copy of the actual book itself (just so I could hold it in my hands and feel its heft ... and look up favorite parts to read myself). I even went on to buy copies of the books for three other people, just because I couldn't contain how incredible this book has proven.

Today I finished. And I felt physically WIPED OUT. That's how powerful it is. I don't think I have felt this strong of a reaction to the completion of a book since Confessions of Nat Turner (Styron), Sometimes a Great Notion (Kesey), and A Prayer for Owen Meany (Irving). It's that good. You just sit there afterward. Shellshocked. And all you want to do ... is go back to the beginning to start through it again.

The Audible version of the book was spectacular. The voice of the narrator was perfect. The accents he gives to the various characters are truly masterful. I've listened to a lot of recorded books, and this narrator was one of my favorites by far. If you can get it on Audible, do so. I think it made what was already a 5-Star novel into a 10-Star performance.

If you are looking for a truly awesome book that will utterly captivate you — this is it. Magnificent work!

PS: If you haven't yet read Stephen King's incredible novel "It," you may want to read that before going on to 11/22/63. The crossover is delicious.

GoCat Da Bird Feather Refill Cat Toys, Assorted Colors
GoCat Da Bird Feather Refill Cat Toys, Assorted Colors
Price: $5.72
8 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cat Toy EVER, February 22, 2013
Our cats absolutely LOVE this toy. We have to keep it in the pantry so they don't play with it non-stop and wear it out. That makes it all the more special, though. One of our cats in particular will sit at the pantry door and look up and mew for us to bring it out to play. Then a number of cats will all congregate and settle in to take turns jumping for it. (Not sure if taking turns is something all cats will do or if it's just some weird courtesy ours have taken up.)

These toys really are great. I'm only reviewing the refills here, but you've gotta get the whole toy, with the stick and the swivel on the string so that Da Bird can fly and twirl while it zips around.

The acrobatics this toy inspires in our cats are nothing short of spectacular. And the cats are never happier.

Don't even hesitate. Just buy it. Your cat deserves it.

(Note: there's one other toy worth grabbing that might be even more revolutionary if only because it's so absurdly ... simple. Search Amazon for "Cat Dancer 101 Cat Dancer Interactive Cat Toy" to see it. You're going to think it's crazy, that no cat would pay any attention to it. But our cats are all crazy for that ridiculous thing. It bounces around erratically like a bug or something. I wouldn't say they have the same unbridled enthusiasm for it as they do for Da Bird, but they love that silly toy.)

JBL OnBeat Micro Speaker Dock with Lightning Connector (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by pro-inventory
Price: $29.99
70 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound. Beautiful Design. And It's Portable!, February 14, 2013
This thing is gorgeous, and it SOUNDS gorgeous. I bought this mainly to listen to iTunes or Pandora on my iPhone 5 while getting ready in the morning, but with it being able to run for 5 hours on batteries, I'm excited about unplugging it and taking it out on the deck with me when I go outside to work or read. I can already see taking this on business trips . . . or even better, on picnics by the lake.

I've tried it out with everything from Led Zeppelin to George Michael to Beethoven. It's just flat out awesome.

(And with the sleek, thin iPhone casing I've got, it actually plugs in just fine as is. I think it has more to do with how wide the opening in the case is down by the plug than with how thick the case is. In any event, it's perfect with what I've got. No need to take my iPhone cover off.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 1:02 PM PDT

Paradise Exotic Shawl Pins Inlaid Mother Of Pearl Shawl Pin Cat
Paradise Exotic Shawl Pins Inlaid Mother Of Pearl Shawl Pin Cat
Offered by Arts Crafts USA
Price: $25.86
5 used & new from $25.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Pin, January 15, 2013
Gave this as a gift and she was stunned and delighted. It's really very, very lovely. And seems quite sturdy, too, for thicker shawls or scarves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3