Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for TL > Reviews

Browse

TL's Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TL RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
MoKo Apple iPad Mini 3, 2 and 1 Case - Ultra Slim Smart-shell Stand Cover Case for Mini3 (2014 edition with Touch ID), Mini2 (2013 model with Retina Display) and Mini (2012 1st gen), BLACK
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $9.95
4 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars New Version (March 2013) VS Older Version, March 29, 2013
Overall this is a very well-made, slim cover that is definitely worth the price. I kept this one and returned the other covers I purchased. Here's a list of my thoughts which includes comparisons to the "old" version of this cover.

PROS
- Very thin compared to other similar covers from different companies. I have also tried the DeviceWear and Poetic ones.
- The faux-leather feels nice, much nicer than the "old" version. The "old" one would get splochy from hand moisture but with the new, improved material, the moisture evaporates quickly.
- The automatic on/off feature is always nice, and works very well.
- The on/off magnet also holds the front cover down very well. The front cover also sits nice and flush, unlike the Poetic cover I tried.

CONS
- The "new" version is MUCH heavier than the "old" one. I'm guessing this is due to the magnet reinforcement. Of course this can still be held with one hand, but the noticeable different in weight almost made me go back to the previous version instead.
- The standing modes are okay, but I do not like that angles. I would prefer the device to be held up much more vertical.

MadCatz X360 Gamepad Pro Micro Controller - Black
MadCatz X360 Gamepad Pro Micro Controller - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated review...would not recommend, November 21, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I needed a corded controller for my PC since I travel a lot and wanted one that works with XBox 360 as well. I was a little hesitant to order this as it is a MadCatz item, but with the number of positive reviews it had I figured I'd give it a try. I've spent a couple hours on it playing Epic Mickey 2 and Borderlands. My thoughts:

PROS
- The controller feels well made and sturdy
- The analog sticks are nice and not too loose like most 3rd party controllers
- The buttons have a nice clicky feel
- The L2 and R2 extended triggers are great for shooters

CONS
- The area under the analog sticks is exposed, as shown in one of the customer pictures. In the long run I don't think this will help with the longevity of the controller
- I'm a pretty small guy, 5'5 to be exact, and even still this controller felt SMALL to me. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it. I'd hate to imagine how this would feel in the hands on someone bigger.
- At $35, you can get official XBox controllers
- The analog tabs are very thin, and as such kind of cut into your finger after awhile.

OVERALL
I'm happy with the controller but think it should be priced a little less, especially as a 3rd party one. It does fit my specific needs as a small PC/XBox controller for travel, but if you just need an additional controller, I would look elsewhere at the $35 price point.

UPDATE 12/28/12
I've had more time to play with this controller and I found out that at least for the one I have, the analog stick tabs are not attached to the stick at all. The tabs are separate pieces, and are not glued or attached in anyway. I found this out while flicking the right tab playing Madden, and the tab came right off the controller!

For FPS games this may not be an issue because you generally don't flick the analog sticks, but it did not take much force to knock the tabs off and after it happened the first time it started to happen much more often.

Ultra Pro 3" Collectors Album (Black)
Ultra Pro 3" Collectors Album (Black)
Offered by MTGbiz
Price: $9.95
37 used & new from $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Pictured, November 21, 2012
I bought this item to put some trading cards in, and I've used Ultra Pro ever since I was a little kid so I knew I was getting a quality product. The binder itself is very sturdy and well made, but I am returning it as what I received does not match the picture. The picture shows "Collector's Album" which I liked since it is very general for whatever type of card you want to put in there.

What I received however, said "Baseball" on it in big, bold letters. If I was putting baseball cards in it, I guess this wouldn't be a big deal. But either way, I did not get what I was expecting to or what I had paid for. If you don't care what it says on the binder, this is a great item, but if you do care, you may not want to order this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 2:20 PM PST

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation) Standing Leather Case, Onyx Black (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7", Previous Generation) - will not fit new Fire HD 7
3 used & new from $23.71

4.0 out of 5 stars A tad pricey but great case nonetheless, September 18, 2012
The main reason I ordered this case was because of the magnetic open/close feature. All the other available cases had a strap to keep it closed, which I am not a fan of personally. Here are my thoughts:

PROS
- The case is slim and does not add too much bulk or weight to the device. This is always a big plus.
- The build quality feels very nice and solid. You can tell you are holding a well built case, not a cheap plastic one.
- The magnetic open/close feature is great, I would venture to say even better than an iPad with Smart Cover. This gives the case a huge step up over the others in the market right now.
- The buttons for power and volume are much easier to press with the case on. If you were for instance, watching a movie in the dark it took some time to find the volume without the case on.
- Cosmetically the case looks fantastic, very stylish and professional.

CONS
- The case is rather expensive for what it is. But then again, if this was Apple the case would probably be around $80.
- The buttons, while easier to find and press, are still not as easily accessible as a naked iPad. If for some reason I had to change the volume at a moment's notice, it would be rather difficult.
- I often hold the tablet in landscape, with my thumb on the lower left corner. I noticed the there was some give here, and the tablet could shift up and down. I put it a small piece of soft cloth to make sure it didn't move around.
- The rubber that holds the device in place I feel should go out a little bit farther. Sometimes when I hold the case on the edge I feel the device almost start to slip out.

OVERALL
I am happy with the case despite its small imperfections. I cannot say I have ever found a perfect case after all. I do feel like it could be a little cheaper, and I'm sure in a few weeks or months it will be. Still at very solid investment at $45, as I do not think you will need another case for your Fire.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 1:34 PM PST

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
9 used & new from $99.99

31,223 of 31,965 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, September 17, 2012
I've been an iPad user since the original came out. I also have an iPad 3. I have worked in IT for the past few years so I would say I am pretty good with technology and fancy new devices. With that introduction out of the way, I will be reviewing key points that I have seen touched upon in other reviews. Here goes...

BUILD
The device feels nice and solid. I'm a little surprised at how heavy it is, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The rubberized backing is always nice for added grip. It's not as nice as say unibody aluminum, but it's not $500 either.

SCREEN
The screen is fantastic. But my problem is the same as when iPad got Retina Display, other than the OS, most apps look rather pixelated. A lot of the games I tried are not high definition, at least not high enough to look smooth on this screen. Hopefully apps get updated to higher resolutions.

LOCK SCREEN ADS
Yeah there are ads on my lock screen. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. How much time do people really spend looking at the lock screen? The first thing I thought when I saw the ads is WOW the pictures are really crisp! The ads are there to subsidize some of the $200 price tag. I might pay the $15 to get rid of them so I can customize it, but I might not. I feel like this has been blown out of proportion by other customers.

SOUND
The sound from the speakers is great. Much better than you would get from more expensive devices, very crisp and clean. I have the official Amazon case on and it has not affected the sound at all. Nothing much else to say, I doubt anyone will complain about this.

CRASHING
I've had two apps crash on opening. I don't know if it is the app or the OS. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Again, not a big deal for me. If it crashes, then I just tap it again and it works. I've also watched a few movies using the built in player as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime. No crashes for me at all. I'm sure OS stability will be improved as time goes on.

OVERALL SATISFACTION
Compared to my iPad 3, obviously the Fire HD is not as "good" so to speak. I mainly got it because I wanted something smaller. I also mainly used the iPad to surf the web, watch videos, and play some simple games. The Fire HD accomplishes this and does so much more. If you are expecting an iPad killer, or a desktop replacement, or a productivity machine, then you should look elsewhere.

I bought this to be a media device, and I believe that is what Amazon meant this to be. In this regard, I think this is a great device. In fact, I decided to keep this and sell my iPad 3, which will give me another $200+ to spend on other things. Just remember, this device is not for everyone. If you want a media device, you will be happy with this. Do not expect an iPad for $200.

UPDATE 9/18/12
Just wanted to add a few more things I have noticed over the past 24 hours.

- Power/Volume Buttons: There are a bit hard to press, which is somewhat alleviated by having the official case. Maybe it's because I'm a longtime iPad user, but this will definitely take some getting used to.

- Screen Glare: It took me a little while to notice, but I was playing a Seek & Find game while on Caltrain, with the bright Palo Alto sun shining right on me, and didn't have any trouble seeing the screen. I remembered that Amazon mentioned how the screen was changed to reduce glare, and they did an amazing job.

UPDATE 9/20/12
Two days later and I am still very happy with the device. Here are some more thoughts from me:

BATTERY LIFE
I have been playing Enigmatis (a hidden object game) for about an hour and a half each day on my commute. This drains about 15 - 20% of the battery with the screen brightness almost at the highest setting. Again, not iPad gold standard, but still very good.

SYNCING MUSIC
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and used an app called Easy Phone Transfer to get all my music from iTunes onto the phone. It transferred everything, including album covers, and I was hoping to find something like that for this device. I tried iSyncr, a $3 app, which did the job, but did not sync over album covers. I uploaded all my music into the Cloud, then downloaded it from Amazon, which increased the audio quality for a lot of my songs and added artwork, but this still did not show up on the device.

I got very frustrated getting all the album artwork over and eventually just gave up. It's not a big deal but I am kind of anal about those kinds of things. Just a heads up if anyone else out there is crazy about it like I am.

UPDATE 09/21/12
I got a call from Amazon Customer Service about this review, which surprised me very much. They advised me the best way to get the artwork to show up is have the songs in both the Cloud Player as well as the device, which I know does work fine. I was hoping to have the artwork show without needing things in the Cloud, but not a big deal any more.

I am more impressed with the fact that Amazon called me to give me advice on how to remedy the situation and ask if there were any other questions I had on the Kindle. The representative said he wanted to make sure I was happy with the Fire HD. This is one of the big reasons I went with the Kindle, and with Amazon in general. I have had great experiences with their customer service, who have always been able to handle my issues quickly and efficiently. No need to set up an appointment days later with a wannabe IT guy with a hugely overstated job title.

So this update is not really for the device itself, but sometimes it's not just the device, it's the company that offers it that makes a difference. This is why I no longer have any Apple devices, as cool as they may be. But it's not 100% gravy, as I have noticed lately that the keyboard keeps popping up randomly on screens where there is nowhere to enter text, ie. while playing a game. I just have to press the Back arrow to get rid of it, but maybe a bug the Amazon engineers want to take a look at.

UPDATE 10/05/12
So I don't know if it was always there, but over this past weekend I noticed a dead pixel on my Kindle's screen. I called Kindle Support and after a short 5 minute call, they sent me a new Kindle, no questions asked. So once again, very happy with Amazon customer service. I am still very happy with the device, and have some more thoughts on it:

HDMI CONNECTION
I bought an HDMI cable to hook up the Fire to my 46" Samsung and was quite impressed with the results. The quality was very good, not Bluray quality of course, but better than SDTV on an HD screen. You actually see every single thing you do on the big screen, like you are using a giant Kindle.

GOOGLE PLAY APPS
One of the main drawbacks in my opinion is, or should I say was, the lack of all the Google Play apps available on the Kindle. With a little research, I found out how to add apps that are not available in the Amazon store. It is pretty easy to do and works very well with the apps I tried. This greatly improves my opinion of the Fire HD.

PLASTIC AROUND THE SCREEN
The outer most edges of the Kindle are plastic. I noticed some kind of discoloration on the corner of mine, and just thought it was some dirt to scratch off. So I rubbed my thumb nail on the area, and noticed there were visible marks on the plastic. It appears this plastic can scratch some what easily, but I think this is just cosmetic as not of the plastic actually flaked. If you are not very anal about how your stuff looks, you probably won't notice it.

OS CHANGES
Here are two small gripes I have with the OS that I'm sure could be fixed with an OS update:

- Battery Meter: It would be nice if the battery meter could show percentage instead of just a graphic bar. Some people have mentioned Battery HD, but you still have to swipe down to see the percentage, so this makes it easier but does not solve the issue I had.

- Personal Videos: The mp4 videos I put on the device are located in the "Personal Videos" app, which shows screen shots of all the videos I put in. The problem is, all that is shown are the screen shots. You can get more info by holding your finger down on each video, but when you have multiple seasons of a show on the Kindle, it can get confusing. Ideally we should be able to look at videos in a list like our music.

UPDATE 11/15/12
Still very happy with the device. Here are some more thoughts:

LEFT HAND MODE
I did't think this would be a problem until I played a Solitaire game that DID have a left-handed mode. As a lefty who usually uses the Fire in landscape, I often have to reach across the screen to access the Settings or Home button in the menu. It's a small grievance, but can be really annoying when watching a movie or reading something. If there was an option for a left-handed layout with the menus on the left side of the device, that would be great.

PERSONAL VIDEOS APP
I had earlier complained about this app, as it did not list my movies and crashed playing a pair of them. I recently drove down to LA from SF, and put 5 movies on device, only to find that 4 of them would not play! I was pretty mad, until I remembered a simple solution, download another app. I downloaded Avia Media Player, which is not the greatest either, but it played all the movies I put on the Kindle. My faith was restored.

GOOGLE PLAY APPS
A lot of people have asked how to do this. If you are not having luck with Google searches, try this:

[...]
Comment Comments (760) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2015 5:08 AM PDT

Mad Catz Street Fighter X Tekken - FightPad SD - Ryu & Ken V.S. Kazuya & Nina for Xbox 360

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the older Fightpads if you really need a pad, May 16, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I had (I returned it and this one) this pad for PS3 also. Taken from that review:

PROS
1. I have small hands, so I appreciated the smaller form factor of these pads. They feel more like the Sega Saturn pad, considered by most to be THE fighting game pad to use.
2. The buttons are nice and soft, yet springy, if that makes sense. I also have the Nubytech Street Fighter Anniversary controllers, and those buttons are a lot more firm and require more pressure to push.

CONS
1. The artwork is...not that great.
2. The controller is light, but feels likes cheap plastic. Mine also came with a lot of dings and scratches on both the plastic front and rubberized back.
3. I liked the controller being thinner, but for some reason (probably being cheap), MadCatz did not make the d-pad thinner. This means it protrudes a lot further than before, which I felt made it more uncomfortable to use.
4. This goes to all MadCatz FightPads, I hate the placement of the Home and Start and Select buttons. I have never pressed them by accident, but I like how they are placed on top of the controller on the PDP VS Pads much, much better.
5. Compared to the PS3 pad, these feel like they are lower quality (I had two). The dpad was very loose compared to the PS3 version, and made clicking noises when hitting up or down.
6. Reason why I returned it, I kept missing diagonal inputs, which people have complained about before. Compared to the Nubytech controllers with an adapter, I had no issues at all.

JVC HAS160S FLATS Lightweight Folding Headphones - Silver
JVC HAS160S FLATS Lightweight Folding Headphones - Silver
Offered by DIGITALGUY
Price: $17.90
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for travel, May 16, 2012
I commute to work with a bag that is basically just meant for an iPad and a few small items. I used to use the PortaPros but they didn't fit well because they folded up toe about the size of a baseball. I heard good things about these headphones so I decided to give them a try.

As far as my purpose for them, they are perfect. The ear pieces rotate to be flat, so it fits easily into my commute bag and carry-on bag when I fly. The sound quality is great for $15 headphones and they are very comfortable to wear. The build quality is good, better than expected for something at this price point.

Overall I actually chose these as my main travel headphones over the PortaPros. The sound quality is not as good, but the flatness is convenient for me, and the PortaPros have a nasty habit of getting my hair caught in them.

Universal USB Car Charger (Compatible with All GPS Brands)
Universal USB Car Charger (Compatible with All GPS Brands)
Price: $13.96
58 used & new from $11.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in my GTI, May 16, 2012
I have a 2012 Volkswagon GTI and one of the few things I do not like about this car is that the center console barely has any room to store items. As such I needed a very small car charger to charge things like my iPhone or power by TomTom GPS. The TomTom charger was huge and had to be slid in at a weird angle to use it.

This charger is sleek and low-profile, so it fits perfectly in my small center console area. I only use it with my iPhone and TomTom, and it works perfectly. I don't remember specifics, but I believe it charged my iPhone pretty quickly as well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, affordable iPhone case, May 16, 2012
I am using this on an AT&T iPhone 4. My thoughts:

PROS
+ Case is slim, but feels very solid and sturdy.
+ Case fits very nicely, no issues with camera or flash being covered or accessing any buttons or ports.
+ The edges have a nice textured feel, so the case is not slippery. The same can be said for the "leather" backing.
+ It looks nice and stylish, I've had a couple co-workers ask where I got it from.
+ The front of the case has a lip which extends a little further than the actual phone screen. This gives it a little bit better protection and is good if you like to put your phone face-down.
+ BIG PLUS I have used many slim snap cases like this before, and they have a tendency to build up a lot of dust in between the phone and the case, not noticeable until you take the case off. I can say this is NOT a problem with this case.
+ Installation of course is simple, snap it on. It comes off easily as well. I have taken it off a few times, and with many other cases a corner would start to crack. This one still seems to be holding up just fine with no cracking.

CONS
- None really. Just don't be one of those people expecting OtterBox-level protection with a case this slim.

Overall a fantastic case that I would recommend and purchase again.

Mad Catz Street Fighter X Tekken - FightPad SD - Ryu & Ken V.S. Kazuya & Nina for Playstation 3
2 used & new from $70.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the older FightPads to this, May 11, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have already used the Hori Fighting Commander pad extensively before purchasing this, but decided to give it a shot. My thoughts:

PROS
3. MadCatz made this wired. Why they chose wireless in the first place, who knows? Some people think wired controllers are a thing of the past, and in most cases I agree, but you need a wired connection for fighting games first because there is no input lag, second because fighting game tournaments do not allow wireless controllers. Please take that into account if you want to mark this item down for being wired.

CONS
1. The artwork is...not that great.
2. The controller is light, but feels likes cheap plastic. The Hori FC3 is bulkier, but feels like it is built to last.

Overall, a good pad for fighting games, much better than the PS3 controller. Considering the Hori Fighting Commander 3 is currently cheaper, I would definitely take that over this MadCatz pad.

EDIT 5/16/12

I had more time to spend with this controller, and actually decided to drop the rating down another star (to 2 stars). I was in practice mode in SFxT, and noticed air hurricane kicks with Ryu only came out about half the time I wanted them to. I looked at the input list, and it kept showing down, back, back, basically missing the diagonal input. I tried it out with two other controllers (PS3 Dualshock and Hori Fighting Commander) and was able to get the air hurricane kick out almost 100% of the time.

I heard these controllers have issues with diagonal inputs, and I guess this shows that these complaints are true. I was able to do hurricane kicks more consistently when I put my thumb in the middle of the dpad, but I usually move my thumb around the edges. I do not feel like I should change how I play to use this controller.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 12:58 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2