Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Harry G. Arnold > Reviews

Browse

Harry G. Arnold's Profile

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harry G. Arnold RSS Feed (Oak Ridge, TN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Raindrip R552DT Container Drip Watering Kit
Raindrip R552DT Container Drip Watering Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as described, May 21, 2010
I rated this 3-star because it is difficult to handle as described by other reviewers.

The most glaring "defect" in this product is that it is described as "1/2 in. poly hose" when, in fact, it is "1/4 in poly hose". This doesn't affect the way it works unless you are trying to match it to other products.

Fortunately, the same product with the timer, Item R599DP, has the same "defect" and is described as "1/2" in but is in reality "1/4".

Interdynamics TX-120 TyphoonMax 120-Volt Heavy Duty Air Compressor
Interdynamics TX-120 TyphoonMax 120-Volt Heavy Duty Air Compressor

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Design, May 4, 2010
I recommend that you don't buy the Interdynamics TX-120 TyphoonMax 120-Volt Heavy Duty Air Compressor. This is based on a failure analysis I performed after mine failed.

All those reviewers who said that this 120 volt air pump "just quit working" are probably not compulsive complainers, probably are not technically illiterate, and probably just think "it quit working" for some random reason.

Well, I am here to reassure you. The Interdynamics TX-120 TyphoonMax 120-Volt Heavy Duty Air Compressor has a critical failure point designed into it. The MOTOR BRUSH ASSEMBLY (which conducts electricity to the rotating part of the motor) is assembled by clamping brass or copper conductors to a bakelite insulator. A likely mode of failure is that the motor brush assembly disassembles during operation. A possible cause of the failure is that the metal clamp "unbends" due to the vibration forces, and simply falls off the brush assembly. Another possible cause of failure is that the metal clamp did not clamp properly or that the bakelite that holds the metal clamp was broken during assembly, and fell apart from vibration forces during operation. If you open it up, the clue is a long black slender coil spring dangling out of the brush assembly with the clamp and wiring attached. Electricity still flows to the brush, which is still inside the assembly, but it doesn't touch the rotor, so nothing happens.

This failure occured to my air pump between the last time I stored it away and the next time I used it. "It had mysteriously failed while sitting on the shelf." Because of the intermittent usage pattern for this equipment, it had been two months since I purchased it, and my "return window" had expired, so I disassembled it (this takes courage, because the handle snaps in and apparently can be released by pressing VERY HARD through the pin holes in each side of the handle mount; or, as in my case, it just falls out when you disassemble it). I used baling wire and friction tape to make it work, but by no means do I think I fixed it. No, it just brought back old memories that made me feel that way. Actually I used vinyl electrical tape, which is rated at 300F and is completely insulating, but it will give up its grip if it gets too hot.

So I recommend that you don't buy this gadget. If you did buy it, you, like I, shouldn't have.

I also recommend that the manufacturer review this design and manufacturing process and see if they can't make the whole product as sturdy as the rotor and compressor assembly looks when disassembled.

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1 9.1MP 20x Optical Zoom Digital Camera with Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 3.0 Inch LCD
26 used & new from $99.89

4.0 out of 5 stars It takes a trained monkey, March 9, 2010
This is just a quickie with the camera straight out of the box. I'll update the stars later. (Updated March 11, 2010)

1. It takes a trained monkey to attach the lens cover to the camera so it doesn't fly off into the wilderness. First you get a thin paper clip and make it into a straight wire with a long narrow hook at one end. Insert the hook through the tiny eyelet in the attaching cord, then pull both strands of the cord through the eyelet to make a loop. Run the free end of the loop through the tiny little attaching point on the camera lens and pull the first loop through the loop just threaded to attach the cord to the lens. Next, undo the strap on the left side of the camera and thread the strap through the first big loop between the buckle and the camera body. Reattach the strap through the buckle. Now the lens cap may jump off every time you turn the camera on, but it won't go very far because it is captured.

2. I have had a lot of experience with Sony Cybershots, but the new economy has caught up with me. This is the first one that didn't come with an undersized memory stick. What it came with is a grossly undersized internal memory. Buy a stick if you want to test the camera out of the box (4 GB is supposed hold 800 of the biggest pictures).

Update:
3. Things you aren't supposed to do with this camera: let it get hot (plastic may warp), let it get cold (no snow below 32F), let it get wet (not splash proof), drop the battery (may explode), take it to the beach (no sand). The list is much longer, but you get the idea. Gone are the days when you could drop a camera body into a manure spreader and shake it out and continue photographing.

4. I've made a few pictures with the DSC-HX1 on long telephoto. This is a dull cloudy day, and the lighting is relatively flat, but the detail is nice and sharp when enlarged to 8X10 prints. The DSLRs are potentially better, but I never could accept the responsiblity of keeping up with a 500 mm:f/5.2 lens for the DSLR. I have an 18 mm f/3.5, but it cost as much as the DSLR body and barely equals 28MM effective, whereas the DSC-HX1 has a 28 mm:f/2.8 equivalent built into the 500 mm f/5.2 telephoto. A tradeoff's a tradeoff.

5. Update March 11, 2010. Shot some more long telephotos but in the rain this time (the subject, not the camera). Subject was about 20 ft from camera. Brilliant Red, really three dimensional whites, and true mottled greens. Just like the book said: A rainy day really makes the colors jump out.

PhantomALERT Lifetime Download Subscription (compatible with iPhone, Android, Garmin, TomTom & Magellan)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably 5 stars, August 1, 2009
I've only had the PhantomALERT database a few hours, but determined that it has two features:

1. It knows all of the speed camera and light camera locations in my small burg, even though two of them are still in "test/warning" mode.

2. It works in "tracking" mode in addition to "navigation" mode. In other words just turn it on and it will pick up the locations as you come to them even though you don't enter a final destination first.

A problem appears to be that my GPS (Garmin 265W) can't hold data for more than about five states. I haven't investigated this limitation, yet, but I think this may be a generic warning for older GPSs. The only data base I know about with virtually unlimited capacity is designed as a transparent map overlay instead of "proximity points", but doesn't have enough U.S. data to be of interest (pocketgpsworld).

The solution to the above problem, I think, is to buy the $99 lifetime update and simply load different states when you take a trip. They warn that the "unlimited" updates may just be promotional, but you can save data bases of different states on your PC under different names now (I think -- untested by me so far) just in case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for most things, July 27, 2009
The Garmin nüvi 265WT 4.3-Inch Portable GPS worked straight out of the box when it arrived.

1. Since it was a factory refurbished unit, I registered it immmediately and tried to download the free map update. Couldn't figure it out, so I contacted Garmin e-mail customer support, and discovered in a couple of hours that my serial number had "first acquired satellites" more than two months before I purchased it, which invalidated the free offer. I e-mailed a copy of my Amazon.com Order Summary, and within 12 hours I was able to download the free map upgrade. (The old copy of the map was just as good based on my limited use.)

2. The map upgrade is something that has to be planned since it will probably take three or four hours of wait time. For some reason I simply can't get more than about 300 KB of speed from their download site, but the end result was an apparently accurate map upgrade.

3. The touch screen controls are mostly intuitive, but some of the choices are obtuse. For example, to find a rest stop, one must go to "Points of Interest", select "Automotive", then scroll through almost everything related to automobiles to find somewhat cleverly described rest stops. In order to enter more than one "via" point, one must first enter the destination, then enter intevening points of interest -- if you enter the final destination last, you will wipe out all of the previous "destinations". Don't even try to enter a Highway residence address. It won't find the right one unless you park in the driveway and do "where am I?" then save the address. Street addresses are reliably predictable and usually are where the houses are.

4. The display is adequate considering the small size. One can see about two miles ahead on the maximum "zoom out", and the planned route is easily visible. It is hard to see any location other than the current location of the automobile, however. Text is readable. Occasionally the GPS has to be rotated in order to reduce glare, but basically it is viewable in almost any light.

5. Navigation is what the GPS is all about, and it navigates. If you miss a turn, the female voice says, "recalculating", then tells you how to correct your mistake, or if you deliberately want to take another route, it will plot the revised route if your detour makes sense. Voice instructions are generally on time, but they don't anticipate lane changes at intersections. A minor criticism is that the "new" map is pretty old in places. The Natchez trace was relocated over thirty years ago when Barnett Reservior was built, but the navigator placed my car between the paved road and the water rather than on the road; also, a little later my car was again off the Trace driving on something called the "Old Trace" (which is usually a couple of four feet deep ruts left over from the early 1800's). Every now and then on other highways the female voice would say "recalculating" because I wasn't following the old nonexistent roadway owing to new construction. These kinds of map updates seem to be somewhat hap-hazard in nature.

6. The synthesized voice does fairly well. You would think that Garmin would hard code "Frontage Road" to avoid an audible "Turn left on Frungo". And words like Brook are pronounced "Bruke" (to name a few dialect idiosyncracies). Warning! Just because the voice says, "turn left on Main Street" does not mean it is safe to turn left; the driver has to be doubly alert to not get sucked into a false sense of security by the calm voice that issues soothing instructions to commit suicide.

7. Remember "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon? The 265 WT has two navigation modes, Fastest and Shortest. If one chooses the "Fastest" Navigation mode, it's mostly Interstates. The "Shortest" navigation mode, however, is an adventure akin to the "Blue Highways". For example I Programmed a trip from Knoxville, TN to Jackson, MS by the "Shortest" route. The "Fastest" route is I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 and I-59 to Birmingham and finally I-20 to Jackson. The "Shortest" route is I-75 to Chattanooga, I-24 to I-59 then up to the very top of Sand Mountain in Georgia and follow Sand Mountain on US-75 all the way into Birmingham. Take I-20 from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa, then jog off the Interstate and follow numerous county roads in Alabama and Mississippi to Philadelphia, MS. From there, take the Natchez Trace into Jackson. Who would have thunk? We saw three bottle trees. (You should try Jackson to Nashville.)

8. It works; it's fun; it's potentially distracting; but treat it with respect and it will always take you somewhere.

9. I recommend the "GAFM: Mini Friction Mount for Garmin Nuvi 200, 200W, 250, 250W, 260, 260W, 265T, 265WT, 270, 275T, 300, 310, 350, 360, 370, 500, 550, 600, 610, 650, 660, 670, 680, 710, 750, 760, 770, 780, 755T, 765T, 775T, 785T, 850, 880, 855, 885T, 5000, StreetPilot C550, C580, StreetPilot i Series GPS". The mount for the windshield that comes with the 265WT will probably work, but the GAFM is really easy to transfer betwen cars and to hide in a console or glove box when parked.

Bosch 424A ICON Wiper Blade - 24" (Pack of 1)
Bosch 424A ICON Wiper Blade - 24" (Pack of 1)
Offered by Bavarian Autosport
Price: $18.95
4 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I have Had, May 4, 2009
The Bosch 24 in Icon Wiper Blade

Recently I threw away about 100 old wiper blades -- the aftermath of searching for a good all weather blade over the past twenty years for three cars. There wasn't one of every kind because I concentrated on "winter" blades. Most jacketed winter blades tend to be too stiff to fit the curve of the windshield at the end of the blade, so I had already migrated to the curved beam design about two years ago.

My vehicle takes a 24 in and a 21 in blade for the windshield. A 24 inch blade tends to chatter and flop around in the wind after a little age. All the driver notices when this happens is "streaks" or "squeaks" when the blade goes one direction, and possibly a marginal "wipe" going the other direction.

I mounted the Icons about two months ago and promptly drove through a couple of 300 mile car washes. Smooth. Clear. Quiet. No streaks, no squeaks.

We actually had a light snow after that and the wipers cleared the windshield as they should.

I have the Bosch Evolution 24 in. on my other vehicle. They are just as good in performance as the Icon based on about six months of use, but the Icons just "feel" as though they will last longer. If the Icons don't last longer, there is probably no reason to pay the extra dollars compared to the Evolutions.

Gaite Parisienne: La Boutique Fantasque
Gaite Parisienne: La Boutique Fantasque
Price: $7.99
61 used & new from $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiedler Looked Ahead, April 9, 2009
In 1957 or there-abouts I bought a monaural LP of Gaite. I played it on my cheap portable player for several years, then on my more expensive equipment beginning around 1964. Somewhere around 1985 I found a CD of the same LP. I didn't even have a CD player, but I bought it.

When I finally bought a CD player, I was amazed at the quality of the sound.

Sometime in the intervening years I chanced to read the original liner notes for the monaural LP. It appears that Columbia tried an experiment with this recording session and used multiple microphones throughout the orchestra and 30 inch-per-second tape recorders as an experiment in low noise, stereophonic recording. The current digital release would appear to be a remastering from these multiple track, low noise tapes.

Super Gram III ( The Real Vitamin C ) 90 Tablets Alacer
Super Gram III ( The Real Vitamin C ) 90 Tablets Alacer

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Ad, March 2, 2009
I have nothing in particular against Supergram III except that it is now packaged as a 500 MG tablet instead of a 1000 MG tablet, so the pricing is about twice as high as it used to be.

However, in this case, the vendor showed a picture of the OLD Supergram III bottle, which would have been 1000 mg and decribed it as 260 tabs, which is the quantity the old Supergram used per bottle. My order record describes the product shipped as 260 tabs. However, when it arrived it was a 90 tab bottle. Same price as for the 260 tab bottle.

When I pull up the description today, it shows 90 tabs, so something is inconsistent. I could have bought 90 tabs for their price ANYWHERE!

Poulan ES350 16-Inch 3.5 HP Electric Chain Saw
Poulan ES350 16-Inch 3.5 HP Electric Chain Saw

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Saw, January 25, 2009
This is a good chainsaw. I have only used it about 3 hours, so any reliability or wear issues are moot at this point. The best feature -- trivial, but you can see how much bar oil is remaining through the side of the saw.

My first chain saw was an antique McCullouch with a 24 in. bar that weighed about 20 lbs. I learned a lot from it, especially that light weight chainsaws are safer than heavy ones.

My second chain saw was a HomeLite E-Z 16" that was recommended by someone who once rented chain saws. It weighed about 10 lbs and cut fire wood for my stove for 15 years. I literally used this saw up, but it would still crank and cut wood when I got rid of it.

What I learned from these two saws is that the most dangerous thing to do is to try and cut a limb or log above your head. The saw will fall onto your thigh. The lighter the saw, the less likely it is that this will happen in an uncontrolled fashion.

My next saw was a saw that a professional tree cutter took up a 90 foot tree and topped it with the saw supported by his fully extended arm. I won't name the brand because it was a real mess on the ground, leaking bar oil all over the place in spite of repeated attempts to have it repaired.

Now I have this Poulan ES-350. I got it because I am too old to go deeper than an extension cord into the woods, and I am tired of the hazards and frustration associated with cranking the gas models. The electric is light weight, and I have been able to easily saw through 12 in. green maple logs. It isn't as fast at cutting as the above three saws, but it is light enough that one can safely cut at extended arm lengths (if one is careful).

A word about chains. The Poulan comes with a "low kick back" chain. I don't know why they make them, probably some regulatory-liability thing, because no chainsaw is kick-back proof, so Beware!. At any rate, I have read reviews of the replacement chain for this saw saying the the chains don't last. I have been unable to identify a chain that isn't "low kick back" for this saw, so I will use the Poulan replacement chain (after sharpening the original for a year or so). The main reason a chain goes dull is that it hits dirt, sand, rocks or wet wood. You can feel the sharp edge of a cutter blade just as you can feel the sharp edge of a knife. If it feel smooth, instead of "grabbing" your finger, it needs sharpening.

A word about extension cords. The hidden cost of this saw is a 100 ft. 14 gauge extension cord (most of the ones you have at home are probably 16 guage - not big enough). This brings the total cost of the saw to around $125, compared to $250 or even $350 for the gasoline saws I mentioned above. I don't recommend the following, but I have heard that this saw can run with 150 ft of 14 ga. extension cords. I REALLY don't recommend this, but I have heard that the saw can run with a 100 ft. 12 guage cord plugged into the wall, and 150 ft. of 14 guage exetension cords plugged into the 12 guage cord. (The longer the cord, the more likely you are to cut through it.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2010 2:14 PM PST

Marathon Universal Fit Flat Free Wheelbarrow Tire on Wheel with Spacer/Bushing Kit Included
Price: $35.30
32 used & new from $32.96

5.0 out of 5 stars The secret to the wheel, December 30, 2008
The secret to a $50 wheel on a $30 wheelbarrow is to keep the wheel when you trash the wheelbarrow.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4