Profile for Ken Montville > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 81

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ken Montville RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Dukan Diet: 2 Steps to Lose the Weight, 2 Steps to Keep It Off Forever
The Dukan Diet: 2 Steps to Lose the Weight, 2 Steps to Keep It Off Forever
by Dr. Pierre Dukan
Price: $14.90
727 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Explanation and The Plan, March 27, 2014
I'm gonna call this a four out of five not because of the writing style but because of the plan and the explanation of why it works.

I've been through Weight Watchers and more and nothing seems to work. This plan seems to have some validity. It has a definite framework that moves from one Phase through another to the point you can, once again, eat anything you want. Of course, if you follow the diet to the letter you probably won't have the same unhealthy eating habits you had when you started.

The one thing that stands out to me in this book and the plan, in general, is that the Diet is very strict. If you are in one Phase or another, you must, without any deviation, stick to the foods n that Phase. Pierre Dukan's writing style is very authoritarian and didactic. He makes no pretense of trying to coddle you and suggest that if you fall off the wagon that "it's ok" and you can just start over tomorrow. There is no "falling off the wagon" of you want to follow this diet and be successful.

In fact, it was the tone of the authoritarian father figure that started to get under my skin in a few places. Dr. Dukan seems to think that people who have had trouble taking off weight with other diets or with simply counting calories need a very strong (some may call it rigid) structure and explicit direction. He's probably right.

What I liked about the diet, though, is that you can eat unlimited amounts of food within the category of the Phase you're in. I just have to get imaginative about how to do that. The little snacks like candy and ice cream and cake and cookies will no longer be available.

The book has a good amount of recipes in the back and there are supplemental cookbooks you can buy as well as branded food.

In fact, the author directs you to his website and diet coaching program for most of the last 50 pages of the book. The website is the only place to find your True Weight using his proprietary formula based on your personal history. All this, I'm sure, is a way to make more money. The branded foods, the coaching, the website.

Still, it's a good book that can provide a clear and unmistakable path to weight loss as well as provide logical and understandable explanations for why it works.

In the Bleak Midwinter (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries)
In the Bleak Midwinter (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries)
by Julia Spencer-Fleming
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
205 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Approach To The Cozy, February 23, 2014
This book actually came up in my Goodreads recommendations a lot so I thought I would give it a shot.

A friend that is big time into this genre (the cozy) suggested I take them in order and this is the first in the series.

It's a well written book with interesting characters, especially the two protagonists, but it has a couple of shortcomings, too. I know it won every award under the sun for "first novel" so I shouldn't be too critical. After all, I don't read these things morning, noon and night 24/7.

However, it seems to me that as much as the author tries to build some suspense and add plot twists, it was fairly easy for me to figure out "whodunit" well before the protagonists did. I'm not really sure if that was intentional or not. In any case, it seems like the author could have wrapped up the book about 50 pages earlier than she did.

She also falls short, I think, in developing the sexual or romantic tension between the two protagonists. I wouldn't think that these two characters would be thrown together in the situations they are in order to develop their bond and friendship. But what do I know? Here is a Episcopal priest who loves to butt her nose into anything and everything. How is that different from Miss Marple? It just seems a little forced.

I'll read the next one in the series to see how that goes. I'll be interested to see if the Chief's wife takes her swan dive in this one or waits until Book 3 to depart the scene. Death? Divorce? Shhhhhh. Don't tell me.

All in all, a good read but not much above 3 stars. Maybe it gets better as the series develops.

Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
by Phil Jackson
Price: $15.79
104 used & new from $7.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Read This If You Like Basketball, February 23, 2014
This book was recommended to me because it supposedly had great leadership parables and/or lessons in it.

Maybe so.

The book is a mix of memoir and reflection on Phil Jackson's journey through Eastern spiritual philosophies that eventually helped him coach a team of basketball players that had extremely eccentric and disparate personalities.

At its core, though, this is a book about basketball during the Jordan era. If you're not into basketball or basketball history, this book is not for you. (It wasn't for me).

Post Shredded Wheat ' Bran, Spoon Size, 18-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)
Post Shredded Wheat ' Bran, Spoon Size, 18-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)
Offered by outstandingbooks
Price: $34.19
10 used & new from $27.39

4.0 out of 5 stars My Wife Uses This As Snack Food, February 23, 2014
The reason we buy this is that my wife uses it to munch on at work. I guess it's better than candy. It certainly is not sweet. The thing I would caution is to check the Amazon price against the grocery store price. Once it was much cheaper than the grocery store. Another time it was much, much more expensive. Always compare.

Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion
Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion
by Bob Burg
Price: $18.55
75 used & new from $4.48

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Principle Centered Approach to Persuasion and Influence, January 15, 2014
I really like the easy readability of Bob Burg's books and this one is no exception. Unlike the "Go-Giver" books he has co-authored with John David Mann, this book is more a more typical "non-fable" book.

The book explains easy-to-follow and seemingly simple steps to becoming a person of influence with a gift for being able to persuade even your most ardent adversary. As with the other books I've read by Bob Burg, the advice and guidance in this book is principle centered. There is no Machiavellian scheming or plotting.

This book really does speak to our better selves and by becoming better people we can become more persuasive and influential.

Good book. Well worth the time to read it.

Clarks Men's Circuit Perez Slip-On,Cognac Leather,11 D US
Clarks Men's Circuit Perez Slip-On,Cognac Leather,11 D US
Offered by ComfortFeetShop
Price: $60.00
4 used & new from $60.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy shoes, January 1, 2014
These are definitely what I would call super casual shoes that may actually be one step above slippers. They fit well if you go barefoot in them or wear thin socks. They look fine except for the tread that wraps around the heel of the shoe. I understand why it's there since these are "driving mocs" but it would have been nice to have a plain leather back. Still, very comfortable and well constructed. I like them.

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
by Richard Bach
Price: $10.18
78 used & new from $3.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Self Help, New Age Pablum, January 1, 2014
I was a teenager when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull and I can't remember that it left any lasting impression on me. Recently, I was reading one of those "10 Books That Transformed My Life" (or some similar title) blog posts on LinkedIn and this book was recommended by Michael Powell, the former Chair of the FCC and son of Colin Powell. I figured if he was recommending this book as "transformative" I should give it a go.

Yawn,

The best thing I can say about it is that the book I got had very small type and lots and lots of white space. I was able to blast through it.

It's got all the standard fare about how we create the world we envision in our minds. The physical world as we know it is just an illusion and the things that happen in it are all illusions that we buy into. Did you know we can walk on water or cause things to float or levitate? No problemo.

Still, it's an a decently written fable and it does nudge you to become a little more introspective about your life's purpose. I wouldn't exactly call it transformative, though.

The First Rumpole Omnibus
The First Rumpole Omnibus
by John Mortimer
Price: $16.41
313 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful First Look At Rumpole, January 1, 2014
I have a friend who loves Rumpole and has read all the books. Some time ago I asked for his suggestion on where to start and he told me the First Rumpole Omnibus was where to go. I actually read "Rumpole Misbehaves" first but thought I would give this a try.

I liked it because the first two books in the Omnibus are more like a collection of short stories. All of them are self contained even though they build on one another through reference to the story before it. If you really don't like a story you can move on to the next and won't miss a thing. The third book is more like a traditional novel albeit it short.

The bottom line is that these are all very enjoyable and entertaining stories without all the gratuitous sex and violence you get in modern mysteries and thrillers. Even as "legal thrillers" or whatever the genre is, Rumpole is pretty tame. Still, he takes up for the underdog and stands by his principles when others are willing to leave theirs at the door.

I may take a break from Rumpole but I can see a time when I'll pick up the Second Rumpole Omnibus or another Rumpole book.

10,000 Steps Blueprint - The Daily Walking Habit for Healthy Weight Loss and Lifelong Fitness
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Primer on how to start and maintain a good walking habit., January 1, 2014
This was a very short "guide" to beginning and maintaining a walking habit for both fun and fitness. It's a Kindle book so the nice thing about it is that it has lots of good clickable links to websites and articles that the author cites in the book.

It's a quick, easy and enjoyable read with solid tip and recommendations on how to begin and maintain a good walking habit that averages about 10,000 steps a day. For me, it was a good incentive to begin an exercise routine that won't break the bank with lots of fancy and expensive equipment or a requirement to be super fit already.

Definitely worth the read.

Neutrogena Triple Renewal Weightless Conditioner, 8.5 Ounce
Neutrogena Triple Renewal Weightless Conditioner, 8.5 Ounce
2 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great conditioner., December 7, 2013
Nice conditioner. Not too heavy and does exactly what I expected a good conditioner to do. I would prefer a pump bottle like the Nutrogena shampoo but the product inside the tube is excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9