Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Shaun > Reviews

Browse

Shaun's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shaun RSS Feed

Rebel Heart [CD + Bonus CD][Super Deluxe Edition][Ex
Rebel Heart [CD + Bonus CD][Super Deluxe Edition][Ex
Price: $20.89
64 used & new from $12.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Rebel" we've known for decades thinks outside the pop box, March 20, 2015
Madonna's 13th studio album does not disappoint. An eclectic mix of urban, industrial, and ethereal pop that delivers some of her catchiest tunes in years. Here is a quick rundown of my personal faves:

1. Inside Out - One of the most experimental songs in her vast catalog, this track just oozes sensuality and her voice sounds fantastic.

2. HeartBreakCity - Madonna at her angriest. The simple piano backdrop makes this song a real stunner.

3. Holy Water - I will admit that I listened to the demos that leaked in December 2014. I absolutely loathed this song in demo form. However, in its final version...ace! The build up to the chorus is great and the playful lyrics are addicting.

4. Borrowed Time - A song that represents what Madonna has been about for the past 30+ years: EQUALITY. Beautifully-written and an excellent vocal take on Madonna's end.

5. Rebel Heart - A little nostalgic, a little sentimental, and a true survival anthem. The chorus is killer as well. Perfect track!

I can honestly say that there is not one dud in this group of 23 songs. A brilliant album from one of pop music's last living legends. Madonna deserves the utmost respect for her fresh approach at a modern pop album. It's rough out there for women her age, so I applaud her for continuing to bring her A game each and every time.

The only downside to the Rebel Heart experience is the charts. It's frustrating that the album couldn't grab that #1 spot due to Billboard's new streaming rules. However, the more distressing thing is the way people tend to write Madonna off based on a number. Rebel Heart leaked in full months before release, Madonna is nearing her sixties, and she didn't have a charting hit from the album (blasphemy since Living For Love is hot)...yet she still managed the top selling album of the week and moved over 120K copies. Color me impressed. Commercial pop is perhaps the most fickle, superficial genre in existence. Madonna's achievements are unparalleled and continue to add up. At this point, she could give her album away for free and never record a hit again...she would still be considered the queen of pop. She's left her mark. I guess the true test will be to see where current pop starlets are charting in 2040.

Perhaps Madonna puts it best herself in the song Wash All Over Me: "In a world that's changing/I'm a stranger in a strange land." I think I speak for all of her fans when I say "Good goin', stranger."
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2015 5:05 PM PDT

Madonna: Truth Or Dare
Madonna: Truth Or Dare
DVD ~ Madonna
Price: $5.49
38 used & new from $2.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A slice of Madonna at her peak, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Madonna: Truth Or Dare (DVD)
What's to say about Truth Or Dare that hasn't been written already? When the documentary came out in the spring of 1991, Madonna was the most controversial artist the mainstream had seen since the glory days of Elvis. I think it's easy to forget in 2012 that back in the late 80s/early 90s, Madonna's choice of subject matter was quite taboo. The sexual nature of her early work frightened a lot of people, but it also made her undeniably interesting. Sexually charged themes aside, the film works because it's a sneak peek into the life of a woman in charge. In charge of her show. In charge of her ever-shifting image. And most importantly, in charge of her career.

I first saw Truth Or Dare in my early teens and fell in love with it. This wasn't merely because of Madonna, either. The supporting "cast" is top notch. Nikki and Donna are super endearing as M's faithful backup singers. The personalities of the dancers shine through as well, with the exception Gabriel and Kevin. Even Madonna's run-ins with her family are classic and humorous. "Oh God, I was so afraid to do Like A Virgin!" she exclaims at one point, just before her dad visits her backstage. She's vulnerable here. There's Madonna without makeup, blowing her nose, admitting that she isn't the best singer, working through her relationship with Warren Beatty, and sometimes even forgetting the cameras are watching.

My favorite part of Truth Or Dare is the concert editing. The movie opens with a full blast performance of "Express Yourself." Oliver's reunion with his estranged father is painted by a backdrop of "Oh Father." Madonna defending her controversial show against the Vatican is accompanied by "Live To Tell." The refreshing arrival in Europe is paired with a full-color "Holiday." And, of course, the end of the film reminds you to remember your roots with "Keep It Together."

I also think that Blond Ambition is, to date, Madonna's best tour. Confessions is a close second, but here is Madonna at her popularity peak. Anyway, I'm rambling now. If you haven't seen it, watch Truth Or Dare to be reminded or educated on why Madonna is the world's best-selling female artist. What she stands for. Who she is.

Favorite Madonna line (in response to Bobby Brown's 1990 arrest for his onstage antics): "I hope he's in jail when I get there."

MDNA
MDNA
Offered by B68 Solutions Limited
Price: $14.99
46 used & new from $1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's latest succeeds, in spades, April 2, 2012
This review is from: MDNA (Audio CD)
MDNA is a solid record. It always takes a little time for a new Madonna album to really sink in, and this one was no different. After a week of nonstop listening, my early favorites are "I'm Addicted" and "I'm A Sinner." The production on the songs sounds amazing as well. I've always been a sucker for Madonna's party music, so I find MDNA to be incredibly listenable from beginning to end. It's interesting to hear some of her thoughts on the Guy divorce put to music, especially on tracks like "Best Friend." I think it was Rolling Stone that mentioned that Madonna shows us her human side on this album. I agree. I was in the minority in 2008 when Hard Candy dropped...because I loved it. I still love it. In my opinion, Madonna consistently puts out great pop music. Long live the queen.

One last thing. Why are people allowed to post "reviews" when they haven't listened to the album? I read one review based on 30-second clips. That's like reviewing a new film based on a trailer. It skews the rating here at Amazon and doesn't make much sense. Hope the rules will change on that, because it's not a fair representation of the music.

Go buy MDNA, you'll enjoy it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 11:55 AM PST