Profile for N. Ricks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Ricks "ricks" RSS Feed (chicago, IL)

Dritz 2-Piece Skirt/Kilt Pins, 3-Inch, Brass Finish
Dritz 2-Piece Skirt/Kilt Pins, 3-Inch, Brass Finish
Price: $3.99
12 used & new from $2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 8, 2014
Great product. Looks cool. Very durable.

The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces
The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces
by William Hollingsworth Whyte
Price: $31.50
31 used & new from $14.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, November 30, 2011
I love this book! I watched the film first and when I realized the film was next to impossible to get - I decided to get the book. Whytes easy to understand elements of what makes one space successful over another make sense and are simple to implement.
Urban Designers would benefit from more research like this - perhaps implemented in public transit?

Design*Sponge at Home
Design*Sponge at Home
by Grace Bonney
Price: $26.79
99 used & new from $5.10

2.0 out of 5 stars It's beautiful, but I'm still disappointed., October 20, 2011
This review is from: Design*Sponge at Home (Hardcover)
I paid $40 at the anthropologie store for this guy. I totally regret it and am taking it back tonight. There's nothing in this book that you can't find online. I realize that Grace tried defending herself to zoe's comment in saying that there is 50% new content and that the tutorials are worth $1000's. But - all of it you can still find online. If you want a book that is visually beautiful to get inspired instead of your electronic device, this is for you. But if you don't want to pay the money - don't. I love design sponge and have felt so inspired by them!- but to be honest, after buying this book it has made me take them off my google reader and look to other sources to get inspired.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2012 7:02 AM PDT

Media Ethics with PowerWeb : Issues and Cases
Media Ethics with PowerWeb : Issues and Cases
by Philip Patterson
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Opinion Forming Book, October 17, 2005
I am attending Brigham Young University in the Communications Studies Department. I read this book for a Media Ethics and Moral Reasoning course. This book was an excellent way to learn about different ethical issues in the communications field, in particular journalism.

I can definitely see the ethical dilemma in journalism in regards to the truth. It would be so hard to report on a wide variety of issues. It is hard to be knowledgeable on many topics in order to be able to report the stories accurately.

Through this book, I have formed an opinion that ideally it would be nice to properly present every story and only the most important stories, but that is simply not possible. Truth sometimes is the best that one can do. I do not see news as dishonest or ethically wrong, just the best that can be done with their resources. As long as Patterson and Wilkins suggestion is followed to give further consideration to loyalty to humanity and loyalty to truth.

This book helps form opinions, broaden views, and understand issues. I have also enjoyed the cases that give stories and ethical situations for further discussion and study. I would recommend this book to communications students, scholars, and professors.

Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life
Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life
by Sissela Bok
Price: $13.25
161 used & new from $0.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Moral Choice, October 14, 2005
Sissela Bok approaches the issue of lying philosophically, helping the reader break down personal approaches to public and private ethics.

Though this book was an assignment, the reading was enjoyable and understandable. Bok's personality and clear process of thinking enriches the books point and quality.