Profile for Dannis the Mannis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dannis the Mannis RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Plaid Mod Podge Dimensional Magic Glue
Plaid Mod Podge Dimensional Magic Glue
Price: $4.99
17 used & new from $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Decorative Use, September 18, 2014
[Insert cheesy promotional statement here.]
I had been experimenting with all kinds of small sculptures, and when I mean small, I'm averaging around 4-7 inches. Tabletop stuff, or things you'd hang on the wall. I had been working with polymer clay, specifically Sculpey, and to my satisfaction, I was getting results, and new ideas that would sprout with each accomplishment. Then I hit a snag.

How do you encase a sculpture in something far more durable than glass, let it be transparent, and look great all at once?

Epoxy Resin? I tried that one, by the way. Didn't work out for me. Smelled awful, stuck to everything, and the chemical reaction ended up melting such things like acrylic paint (!) and electrical tape (!!!).

After spending a lot of money, I found myself here. Well, at Michael's and Jo-Ann's first, but now I'm here. This stuff is fantastic... and it's cheap!

It takes 3-4 hours to harden completely, but it is a gel, not a super-watery mixture. Think yogurt. When wet, it's very cloudy, but when it is dry it is completely see-through. You might find yourself struggling with bubbles. I have to tell you, you'd be pretty lazy and stupid not to be able to triumph over it. These bubbles come about when you create an air pocket, so really, all you need to do is just push that thing out before your first hour goes by, and you'll be all set.

One suggestion - as with just about everything Mod Podge, this is a glue and sealant. That means, things stick to it until it is cured. Surprise! Keep it in a contained area and space when it's curing, and you won't have to worry about things happening to it while you do other things.

So get it. And think big, because there's a lot of potential with this.

Soldier of Orange ( Soldaat van Oranje ) ( Voor koningin en vaderland ) [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.0 Import - United Kingdom ]
DVD ~ Rutger Hauer
12 used & new from $7.45

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Rutger Hauer's BEST films, August 18, 2014
This is an epic tale of friends who live and die during the German occupation of Holland during World War II. This is not a feel-good movie, nor is it meant to be - instead, we have a group of people who are sent through the meat grinder and come out CHANGED. I am being purposefully vague, because the specific details would take too long to elaborate upon, and aren't exactly relevant.

War is going on, and Rutger Hauer's young man is the everyman who explores the different fields of battle from the streets of Amsterdam, across the North Sea, and into England, where he becomes a spy for the allied forces. His friends aren't so lucky. One is a traitor to his people recruited by the Nazis, one is a rebel whose world is going to hell, and another joins the German army and is shipped off to Russia.

This is a tale of innocence, friendship, and determination - and the loss of all three. It is especially amazing to observe the difference from start to finish, considering just how different these people are - how angry and vengeful, how demoralized and destitute, how apathetic and lifeless the war has made them.

Solid Gloss Black Dot Modular Full Face Flip up Motorcycle Stree Bike Helmet ~M
Solid Gloss Black Dot Modular Full Face Flip up Motorcycle Stree Bike Helmet ~M

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, August 18, 2014
This is a cool design, and it's very functional, especially with the flip-up face. I bought this for my sister and she hasn't had a problem with it.

Environmental Technology 32-Ounce Casting' Craft Mold Builder, Natural Latex Rubber
Price: $26.98
5 used & new from $24.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, money, and resources, August 18, 2014
So I'll keep this brief. You see my rating, so you should understand that I'm not exactly thrilled with this stuff.
Apparently some people found that it works better when you mix it with ammonia. That's why I gave it two stars instead of one, out of sheer ignorance that perhaps ammonia actually DOES make it work, but I didn't have the patience to try it out, or purchase ammonia.

You paint this liquid latex onto the object you wish to create a mold of. See that image on the container? That's a turtle. I tried to do a simpler shape - a Batman logo, made of wood, no less. After about two weeks of applying 12 layers, I decided to remove the wood, and see how this held up. It snapped like a rubber band. I used the mold release spray - quite a bit of it too, and regardless of that effort, the latex stuck on really tight to the wood, and I had to scrub it off with SANDPAPER. Imagine how it could be with a turtle.

The mold that I ripped off... the largest piece of that gooey bit, didn't have enough strength to hold its form. I followed the instructions, I painted on wax paper AROUND the wood, coated the sides, made sure there was an omnipresent lip to the mold - and no success. The disappointment derived from this liquid latex could've prevented me from attempting to find something else to complete my project, but fortunately, I found a worthy replacement.

Instamorph.

47" Waterproof, 35 Mil Yellow Pvc Work Apron
47" Waterproof, 35 Mil Yellow Pvc Work Apron
Offered by ToolUSA
Price: $12.75
2 used & new from $12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, August 18, 2014
I bought this for my coworkers who dread washing dishes because they end up soaked. I'm happy to report, this worked out very nicely, even though they still hate dish-washing, but their reasons have nothing to do with the apron. This yellow apron is HUGE, which is fantastic, since it acts as a shield against stains and, well, water. The only downside is that the ties can be difficult to untie - but since my crew just slip it on over their head and don't bother with the ties - it's totally functional for me.

TEKTON 7521 Helping Hand with Magnifier
TEKTON 7521 Helping Hand with Magnifier
Price: $7.19
10 used & new from $5.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a given, August 18, 2014
If you have a computer, you're going to want a desk to put it on.
If you're going to solder wires, then you're going to want this guy. Is he absolutely necessary? Not really... you could just buy some super cheap alligator clips at Home Depot for under a dollar and go to town, but that's not exactly streamlined, is it?

The arms have quite a few points of articulation, and can suspend a number of objects in the air for you to solder better. My only real complaint is just that the joints are a LITTLE weak, and aren't meant to hold up too much weight, and often need to be tightened. It's rather small, about the size of your hand if you opened it up all of the way. Like most people, I haven't had any reason to use the magnifying glass, but it doesn't get in the way, so that's all fine and well.

There are other uses for this helping hand apart from soldering. Hot-gluing, or just bonding whatever joints together is made simpler, since this will hold the same pose for hours (just remember to tighten the screws a bit). It can also be used for sculpting, believe it or not - as you can make your cuts and smooth edges down with whatever tools you'd need, while this helping hand holds the piece still.

Bottom line: I like it well enough.

Forney 55311 Goggles, Oxygen Acetylene, Economy Eye-Cup 50MM Round Lens, Shade-5
Price: $9.17
11 used & new from $6.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Uncomfortable, July 23, 2014
Like many a few have said already, these goggles are very uncomfortable to wear for more than a minute. If you got these for cosplay, you'd better return them for something else. If you got these for welding, perhaps you ought to return them for something else.
I took a bit of felt and glued scraps to the sides that would otherwise be pushing hard into your face, and it seemed to do the trick. I don't think any kind of eye-wear should need that kind of cushioning to work though, and that's why I gave it two stars. There is hope, because I worked on it.
The lens are fine, and don't pop out very easily. They are darkened to protect your eyes from the blinding bright light of a torch flame, and as such, you might find it difficult to see when you're not welding. But that is its intended purpose, so you really can't fault it for doing its job.
In the middle, there's an adjusting tube that I haven't quite figured out yet. It is meant to extend the width of your goggles, or bring them closer together, but mine just may be stuck at the furthest setting.

Bottom line, these were cheap, and with most economy items, you'll find them uncomfortable and not worth holding onto.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 3:10 PM PDT

Funko POP Games Mass Effect Garrus Vinyl Figure
Funko POP Games Mass Effect Garrus Vinyl Figure
Price: $10.61
27 used & new from $8.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but..., February 7, 2014
It's very cute. The paint job is good (just missed a minor detail on his facial tattoos, but you can do that if you want with acrylic), the posture is fine, the detail on the Mantis sniper rifle is amazing....

but...

Garrus' head has too many spikes. Seems kind of trivial, I'm sure, but it's like if you were to give a figure more fingers. That's the only reason I took off a star. My sister liked it though.

Large Black Belt for Buckles - L (36"-38")
Large Black Belt for Buckles - L (36"-38")
Offered by OverStockToyz
Price: $5.88
5 used & new from $0.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell Apart, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Black Belts for Buckle (Apparel)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you probably want to buy this belt to wear your new awesome buckle with.
Hey, me too!

When I got it, there weren't enough holes for me. I'm a 36, so it's not as if I'm too thin (though that would be great). That wasn't a big problem, since I just made a short trip to a hardware store and bought a really cheap nail spike. After a few quick hammer strokes, all was done.

About a week or two later, the belt started falling apart. The black started to separate from the (cardboard?) inside, and that's just plain ugly. I think I'd attribute this to my hammering undoing some adhesive, but I really think it ought to have been more durable.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - MechTech Deluxe - Sideswipe
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - MechTech Deluxe - Sideswipe
Offered by Moto Zone
Price: $18.13
22 used & new from $18.13

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, September 24, 2013
I didn't buy this toy because I like Sideswipe. I didn't purchase this action figure because of the movie. I got it because some guy posted a bunch of pictures of Sideswipe with a completely different paint job. And no, that paint job doesn't make him look like the G1 version. He repainted Sideswipe to look like Garrus Vakarian from "Mass Effect". It's stunning. More amazing is the head sculpt. It's almost identical to Garrus' spikey turian head. I bought this figure to attempt the same repaint.

For fans who REALLY like Sideswipe, one of the best things you can say about this is that he's actually rather easy to transform. His car form looks great, and his robot form is pretty sleek too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4