Profile for Mommy Maggie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mommy Maggie RSS Feed

adidas CC Ride Sneaker (Big Kid),Blue Beauty/Metallic Silver/Running White,6 M US Big Kid

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable mistake ever!, April 23, 2012
This review is from: AdiPower Predator TRX FG (Sports)
Funny story -

I ordered these in what I thought was a size 6 toddler for my little girl. When they arrived, the box seemed a little big for toddler shoes. Sure enough they were definitely NOT toddler shoes, so back in the box they went. That was until a friend was over and mention after I showed her the shoes that they looked like they would fit her. We wear the same shoe size - so I put them on.

The clouds parted, the sun came through my window, and I discovered the MOST amazingly comfortable running shoe that has ever been on my feet!

I think the pair I received are actually a size 6 mens - but I don't care. It was as if they were designed specifically for my feet.

They are also extremely light!

What a lovely surprise!

Maggie

How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
by Tim Seldin
Price: $14.78
105 used & new from $7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few books I still refer to, April 23, 2012
When my daughter was born, I picked up this book. Although I haven't fully committed to the philosophy as a whole, there are many aspects of the Montessori Method that I have implemented, for example moving my daughter at the age of 13 months to a floor bed. What I found after reading the book is that I am personally very in tune with the most of Montessori's concepts. This is one of the FEW books that I have from the time my daughter was a newborn that I still refer now that she is 2 1/2.
'
Maria Montessori held the belief that children deserved respect from the very beginning and that we should respect that all babies are individual human beings. She also believed that parents and caregivers needed to allow babies as much freedom of movement as possible and by providing a safe environment to explore the child will become increasingly independent. I firmly believe in this and I also know that my child is so independent and capable beyond her 2 1/2 years because of this philosophy.

This book is easy to read, concise, and offers an amazing amount of information from milestones to activities. For parents who are not sold on Montessori, I think you will still a great resource! The activities alone make this book worth it!

Maggie

Is My Preschooler Gifted?
[...]

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
128 used & new from $48.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Tech Savvy Toddler!, March 13, 2012
Of all the toys my child has received in her two and half years, the one she likes the most is not hers. No, it's mine. My Kindle Fire is her favorite, absolute favorite device in the whole house.

It used to be when she would wake up, I was the first thing she would look for, not so anymore. She stumbles out of the bedroom, all blurry eyed and makes a bee line to where the Kindle is charging.

No "good morning mom" - nothing. I am chopped liver in comparison - I might as well be that ratty old stuffed animal in the back of the closet. hmmm I hope that's a stuffed animal....

She knows how to maneuver the screen so that she can pull up Netflix or any one of her favorite game apps. She learned it more quickly than I did! My Tech Savvy little tot even figured out how to order an entire season of Blue's Clues. Apparently there is no "parental lock" to prevent greedy little fingers from dipping into the app "pot"on the Kindle Fire. Maybe slightly genius on their part.

The one thing that I must commend Amazon on is the pure durability of the product. My child has smeared banana on it, spilled hot chocolate all over it, dropped in on the kitchen floor, and it's still perfect. My only complaint is that the battery does not last long enough. Of course for the average use I am sure it is just fine...my kid is a power user!

Aside from the Netflix app, Amazon offers some great apps for kids, especially free ones. We are a big fan of free at this house!

Prior to receiving the Kindle Fire, I looked into getting her a portable DVD player. Okay, I'm not proud but there are times when it comes in handy! Such as when we go grocery shopping. She will sit so delightfully in the cart, while I meander through a store, provided she has the tablet in her hands. The portable DVD players ranged from around $60 - $120 and all they do is play DVD's. The Fire is $199 and I can load it with educational games, something I would prefer her to do over watching videos.

Of course when I can pry it from her sticky little fingers, I can actually use it to go online and do whatever I want. Those times are rare.

[...]
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 8:22 AM PDT