Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Profile for kireviewer > Reviews

Browse

kireviewer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1273

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

kireviewer RSS Feed (Sunnyvale, Ca United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
Price: $199.00
98 used & new from $154.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs more work to fix all bugs., May 8, 2016
This is a cool idea but it doesn't work as advertised:

-there is too much lag time between the time someone rings your doorbell and the time you get the video to pop up on your phone.
The advertisements show people talking through their cellphones to people at the door. But, that has never happened to me. By the time I get the video to show, they person at the door has already left.

-the motion detection does not work well on people. It works great on cars driving down the street.
You can adjust the motion detection sensitivity (it is actually an IR/heat detection system).
If you set it so that it will pick a person with 5 feet of the door, it will also pick up every car that drives down the street. So, you get an alert for every car that drives by your house. If your using this off the battery, it drains the battery in about 4 days.
If you set it so that is does not pick up cars, then it only picks up people when the walk away from the unit. So, you end you just videoing the backs of people.

-the resolution, especially at night is not that good and you get a fish eye effect.
More than 50% of the time, I cannot recognize the person in the video.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 7:14 PM PDT

In Concert 1970 / 1972 [2 CD Reissue]
In Concert 1970 / 1972 [2 CD Reissue]
Price: $11.99
53 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good and interesting but there are better live albums from Deep Purple, May 7, 2016
I THINK THE COMBO OF LIVE IN JAPAN AND SCANDINAVIAN NIGHTS IS BETTER THAN THIS SET.

These are two concerts recorded for BBC broadcasts, one from 1970 and one from 1972. These CD versions include all the DJ talking. The first CD is 50 minutes and the second is 70 minutes.

The sound quality of the first CD is good enough but not perfect. The second CD is better but not as good as Made in Japan.

The first CD comes before In Rock was released. It has the great, extended Mandrake Root and Wring That Neck. However, there are better versions of these songs out there. There is a double album that has been released under many different names that is much better than this. The Mandrake Root on this set is only 17 minutes long, which is about half as long as the group usually played it. This other album was originally called "Live and Rare" (but you have to be careful because there is more than one Deep Purple album with that title). It is also sold as Scandinavian Nights.

The second CD is from the very beginning of the Machine Head tour, recorded about 6 months before Made In Japan. They were still working the material, as Machine Head hadn't even been released yet. The result is a little bit rougher than Made in Japan. Along with the slightly degraded sound quality, it gives this more of a garage band feel to it.

I debated between four and five stars. It isn't the best...but it is still interesting and different from other releases.

This was originally released as a double LP crammed into a single record sleeve. Each LP was about 25 minutes per side. For the 1972 concert, some songs were left off the LP due to time limitations of the LP. All the DJ chatter was removed to fit it on the LPs. The sound quality of these CDs is better than that of the original LPs.

Sidenote: Deep Purple stole the opening of Child in Time from It's A Beautiful Day's Bombay Calling (Deep Purple even admits it). I think to get even It' A Beautiful Day stole from Wring That Neck and called it Don and Dewey.

Teenage Rockin Combo: Dumb All Over Live At Ritz
Teenage Rockin Combo: Dumb All Over Live At Ritz
13 used & new from $37.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality, May 7, 2016
This comes from a radio broadcast from a New York radio station. My guess is that the source is somebody's tape who taped the show from the radio broadcast. I don't think this could be the original source.

The sound quality is poor through most of this. There is a lot of buzzing in the background. The sound is muddled.

But, near the end of the CD, there is a sudden break, and the sound quality is much better. It is like someone had a good source for the last part of the broadcast, but a poor quality one for most of the rest.

This is what I like to refer to as the Ike Willis period. I don't think this was the best period/band in Zappa's career. This is the band that gave us the awful, lazy Man from Utopia. I especially was not fond of the Thing Fish tour.

However, while this band did have some less than stellar moments, they could also be very good. There are some great moments on this CD. And after the first 20 or so minutes, everything is very good.

I would give the music four to five stars. The sound quality really knocks it down.

I would get many other albums before this one.

Teenage Rockin Combo - Dumb All Over Live At Ritz In New York City - November 17, 1981(2cd) by Frank Zappa

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality., May 7, 2016

I would get many other albums before this one.

Interestingly, I found this CD in an HMV store in London.

Covering the spread: How to bet pro football
Covering the spread: How to bet pro football
by Neil David Isaacs
37 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Book from the 1970s. I bought it as joke gift for someone., April 24, 2016
My brother, who is a year younger than me, lives in a different city. To keep in touch, every football season we have a game where we pick who will win each week. We talked a couple of times a week about it.

Growing up, he was the jock and I was more of the hippie. But, I won this football pool almost every year.
I sent this book to him last Christmas.

He died in his sleep last week, a week before his 59th birthday. I am very sad.

Amazon Gift Card - Print - Happy Birthday (Presents)
Amazon Gift Card - Print - Happy Birthday (Presents)
Price: $100.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough options., April 24, 2016
I don't know why, but Amazon asked me to review this. It is just a gift card.

This is cool, because you can create a custom gift card. It is very easy to do.
But, there are not a lot of choices or options.

Travel Smart by Conair 1200-Watt Folding Travel Hair Dryer
Travel Smart by Conair 1200-Watt Folding Travel Hair Dryer
Price: $16.24
29 used & new from $11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, lightweight but still gives plenty of heat and blows hard enough to get the job done. Perfect for travel., April 24, 2016
Cheap, light, easy to pack and gives off quite a bit of heat.

We were going to a music festival in Wales where we would be staying cabins and there would be no supplied hair dryer.
My had to have a hair dryer.

I did research and this appeared to be the lightest and smallest dryer on Amazon. It was also almost the cheapest.
You want the smallest, lightest one you can get if you are going to be traveling and your wife always over packs.

I was worried that it might not put out enough or might not blow hard enough. Well, it puts out plenty of heat and it does blow hard enough to get the job done. It isn't as good as what you would have at home for styling but it does dry your hear fast enough.

The other positive is that it is not as noisy as some home hair dryers.

Some one complained that there were no instructions and it was hard to tell how to switch it from 110V to 220V.
That is not true. It is pretty obvious that you need to switch the to proper voltage and it is easy to read.

Price: $8.99
52 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fourth best Pink Floyd solo album., April 24, 2016
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
I think that what prevents this from being great is that the music is too subdued and drawn out in parts.
The songs are mostly very good and much of the music is also. It just could have done with some editing.
These comments come from a person who generally prefers music to songs.

Listening to this you really get an idea of where Wright contributed to the Division Bell album. Much of this album sounds like it could have been part of the Division Bell.

My favorite Pink Floyd solo albums:
Amused to Death
About Face
Profiles
Broken China

And I've heard them all...I think (including things like the Body and When the Wind Blows)
I didn't hear about this album until a couple of months ago. Found it at a used store in London

Not a big fan of the last two Gilmore albums or the first two Waters albums or the first Wright album (although it is probably better than those 4 I just mentioned).

Live at the Rainbow 1977
Live at the Rainbow 1977
Price: $17.16
44 used & new from $10.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best live album., April 24, 2016
This CD is 73 minutes long and the sound quality and mix are very good.

I really like the back up band here. Both drums and bass mesh well. This sounds like a group album instead of a star with back up musicians.

Still, I don't think this is his best live album. I think he had done a number of songs, like Hurdy Gurdy Man and All Too Much better on other albums.

There are some really great moments on this album like Saucer Surfing and Searching for the Spark.

In general, I think it starts out slow and stiff but gets much better as it moves along until the lackluster Hurdy Gurdy Man at the end.

My favorite live album from Hillage is BBC Radio 1 followed by Live Herald.

I almost got to see Hillage. He was the opening act on a triple bill but cancelled at the last minute. Did get to see Journey at that show....they were once a hard rocking but somewhat progressive band before they went pop. Check out their first three albums.

If you like Hillage's Gong and spacier stuff, you want to look up Ozric Tentaticles.

Santana III - Legacy Edition
Santana III - Legacy Edition
4 used & new from $85.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this for the bonus disc. Santana III is an introduction to Journey., April 24, 2016
A PRELUDE TO JOURNEY
BONUS DISC IS NOT THAT GOOD. Sound problems and not the greatest Santana live performance.

Santana III is my 7th favorite Santana album. A great album but others are even better.

It was released once on CD. Then there was an re-issue of the CD with improved sound and three live bonus tracks added.
On this CD set, the studio album has 4 studio tracks added, and the second CD is the complete concert (instead of just the three songs that were on the original re-issue). One of the studio tracks (Folsom Street) is an excellent jam and sounds a little different than typical Santana material. Banbeye is nice but goes on a little too long at 10 minutes. The other two studio tracks are not that great.

I already had Santana III, but I bought this because of the bonus live disc. I was excited because it was the first time I saw a live album with Neal Schon in the group. But I was very disappointed. The performance is not exciting or special and in some places very uninspired. This is one of those typical live shows where a band goes out to showcase the new album. But, the versions on the studio album are much better. The Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen is one of the tamest I have heard. It does get better on some of the other older material and the real stand out is Weather Report's In a Silent Way (I once saw Santana when Weather Report was the warm up band).

The biggest problem with the bonus live disc is the mix. The sound quality of the drums and bass are pretty good, but way, way too up front. Later in the concert, you can just barely make out the keyboards (and this is during a keyboard solo) and vocals. Also, there are times you can't really hear the guitars. There was a time when record companies wouldn't put out live albums with this poor of quality because the consumers would complain.

This is the album where Neal Schon joined the group as a teenager (rumor has it that he had a choice between Santana and Eric Clapton). I actually don't know if he makes that much of a contribution to the album.

The song Taboo is a prelude to Journey. After this album, Schon and Greg Rollie would quit the band and form Journey. Taboo sounds like it could be on any of the first three Journey albums (before Journey got bad and went pop).

My favorite Santana albums: