Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for M. Gomez > Reviews

Browse

M. Gomez's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Gomez RSS Feed (Millersville, MD United States)

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1)
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling story by an exceptional storyteller, July 15, 2015
I read The Emperor's Soul and thought it was fantastic. I have no idea why I didn't immediately run out and read something else written by Sanderson, but I'm thankful a friend recommended this book so highly that I bought it that same week and started reading. I was not disappointed.

To say I couldn't put it down would be an understatement. Sanderson's world-building is spectacular - nuanced and singularly creative without being overly intricate or weighing the reader down. His characters are even better. I loved trying to guess what the blurb beginning each chapter referenced, and then going back to try to put the pieces together. The illustrations are fantastic and added a great deal to the story (and a particular story line). It's so insanely complex but at the same time I felt completely willing to jump right in, trusting him to tell the story in his own time and in his own way. That is the mark of a master story-teller: someone who inspires that trust in readers.

I've subsequently read the next book in the series (loved that, too) and several other books written by Sanderson. It's amazing to watch his skills grow from book to book (which is saying something - he started strong and hasn't let up), and to watch ideas emerge polished from earlier works. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this story goes next.

The Magician's Land: A Novel (The Magicians Book 3)
The Magician's Land: A Novel (The Magicians Book 3)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and highly recommended, July 15, 2015
I read the first book in this series and didn't love it.

At least not at first.

But I kept thinking about it. And I read it again when the second book was released, and then I read the second book. I warmed up to the characters and the plot. I came to grips with the fact it wasn't Harry Potter Redux, or Narnia Part VI. The wrong people were going to die. The main characters were human (mostly, anyway). Being a magician creates as many problems as it solves. Some mythological creatures are jerks.

I didn't even expect a third book, but was delighted when it crossed my radar. And you know what? I loved it.

There is something haunting about the series, something that settled deep into my mind and wouldn't leave. I'd offer that's the sign of a great story - one that won't leave you when you finish. That's how this series is for me. I recommend it to anyone I know who enjoys exceptionally written, imaginative stories, sharp dialogue and great characters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2015 2:10 PM PDT

Starting Over (Starsville Book 1)
Starting Over (Starsville Book 1)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable Main Character, Compelling Read, August 9, 2013
A lovely novel about a girl finding the strength and will to face her fears head on, one step at a time. Compelling and memorable characters and realistic dialogue - the author artfully captures the challenges, heartaches and heartfelt joys of adolescence. Very much looking forward to following The Kid's further adventures.

The Infects
The Infects
by Sean Beaudoin
Price: $14.61
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A smart, fun and subversive take on zombies., October 11, 2012
This review is from: The Infects (Hardcover)
By all means, if you'd prefer NOT to read a genuinely smart, wicked, funny and creative take on zombies, keep on lurching. For everyone else, there's The Infects.

Having read and enjoyed other books by Sean Beaudoin, I went into this one with high expectations. I'm happy to say they were exceeded, and then some.

This is not your average zombie story, not by a long shot. It's too intelligent for that, too fun, too imaginative and too hilarious. Memorable characters, pop-culture references, witty dialogue and an engaging story line? Check. Add well-crafted sarcasm and liberal doses of subversion and you get a thoroughly enjoyable read with an unusual and satisfying ending. Highly recommended.

I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Cancer, you picked the wrong girl!", October 11, 2012
This is so much more than a story about a woman diagnosed with cancer. It is about a woman living with cancer and THRIVING. It's about music and musical theater and music theory. It's about fitness and biking and pilates. It's about learning to eat well and choosing to live a life in balance.

As someone who lived through the terror of having a loved one diagnosed with cancer, this book taught me something I realized on one level but had never truly articulated: we need to be our own medical advocates. We can no longer depend on doctors to have the right answers, nor can we depend on every one of them to have our best interests at heart. We must constantly investigate and learn and question and take notes and speak up for ourselves. And we must be prepared to do so over and over and over and over again.

Allow me to share one more thought: I could not put this book down: I quite literally started reading it earlier today and just finished it. Eminently readable, extraordinarily engaging, Tracy's story reads like a conversation with an old friend. Even in the midst of moments of gut-clenching fear and brutal honesty, it's filled with humor and love and laughter and - most importantly - hope.

Highly recommended.

The Social Media Strategist:  Build a Successful Program from the Inside Out
The Social Media Strategist: Build a Successful Program from the Inside Out
by Christopher Barger
Price: $19.86
91 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights into social media strategy development from a true expert - an excellent read!, January 24, 2012
It is refreshing to find a book about social media strategy that has compelling, timely and useful content AND is a joy to read. Christopher Barger calls upon his corporate communications and social media development experiences at General Motors and IBM to offer an excellent resource for organizations of all sizes, filled with real-life examples, anecdotes and lessons-learned.

What truly impressed me about The Social Media Strategist was the focus on developing an effective and successful social media strategy. This may sound like a colossal no-brainer (I can hear you saying, "Yes, but that's the name of the book!") - trust me when I say that I've read far too many books, posts and articles that SAY they'll help you develop a strategy, but don't. The author provides concrete advice, actionable ideas and insights that make sense from both a business perspective and a social media perspective. All too often you get one or the other - rarely do you get both in one place.

Christopher Barger learned by doing, and he shares his hard-won knowledge in an eminently readable book. I'd say it belongs on the shelf of every organization that values excellence in social media, but you'll reach for it so often that it might be easier to keep it on your desk. Simply stated, if you want to develop a successful social media strategy or if you want to enhance an existing strategy, do yourself a favor and read this book.

A Game of Thrones 4-Book Bundle: A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $21.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent books, but do yourself a favor and skip the bundle, June 4, 2011
I've owned various copies of these books, and I've certainly enjoyed reading all four of them. This review (and the low score) has nothing to do with the quality of the writing and everything to do with the presentation. I bought the bundle, thinking (wrongly) that it would be easier to manage on the Kindle. Wrong. At one point I accidentally jumped ahead to the final book's table of contents, and now it keeps trying to sync to that location as the furthest point read amongst the devices I use. And the books are pretty long (and the chapter titles aren't that distinctive), so it makes navigating fairly painful, especially if you forget to bookmark your location. Skimming through the other reviews, I see that a couple of folks have offered suggestions regarding the complaints about navigation, but I'll say that if I could do it all over again I'd buy the books individually.