Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale
Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Browse

Thomas Duff's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2598
Helpful Votes: 19346

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" RSS Feed (Portland, OR United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LLNF 925 Sterling Silver Earrings Mickey Large Swarovski Crystal Elements Cubic Zirconia Diamond Drop Earrings
Offered by Big_Hug
Price: $48.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife loves these..., January 25, 2016
I gladly got these Mickey Mouse drop earrings as my wife is very much into Disney. I wasn't expecting too much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of these little gems.

These are hook-style earrings, so there's no stud backing to lose or misplace. I doubt she'll lose these by accident as she's zipping along on Space Mountain. The sterling silver sets off the Zirconia nicely, and all three of the crystals do a great job of catching the light and reflecting the sparkles. They're surprisingly light since they have a bit of thickness to them. My wife can wear them all day without any irritation.

I'm sure Disney would be a little put off by the fact that these are not licensed Disney products, but such is life. If I saw these in World of Disney, I'm sure they'd end up around the $75 to $90 range based on the looks. This is obviously a much better deal, and they look Magical.

Obtained From: LLNF
Comment Comment | Permalink

JOEYOUNG Fashion Jewelry Wide Braided Leather Bracelet Bangle for Men and Women Black Fabric Leather Wristband Bangle with Stainless Steel Magnetic Box Clasp PH956 (Brown)
Offered by JOEYOUNG
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and wears well..., December 7, 2015
I don't wear jewerly on a regular basis, but this leather braided bracelet appealed to me. It's simple and classic, and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm very happy I did. It's a well-made item with good design, and I really like the looks of it.

The overall length including the metal clasp is just under 9", with about 1/8" lost when the clasp is closed. The claps itself is pretty cool. It's got an internal magnet that's pretty strong. When you get the two ends close together, they connect with a decent amount of strength. To add to the safety factor for it not coming off, there's a slot and pin arrangement that means you have to twist the clasp to get it to pull loose. About the only way this is coming off inadvertantly is if someone pulls and twists it really hard.

The leather feels natural, and has a slight scent of real leather. Right out of the bag, it's a little stiff, as I would expect. I spent some time twisting it around and looping it in tight circles to loosen it up. It has more flexibility now, and will get softer as time goes on. I'm also impressed that the braid retained its tightness after the minor torture test I put it through.

Bottom line... this looks great, is wearing well, and is very well made. It's a great purchase.

Obtained From: JOEYOUNG
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Nutro Company 24 Count Sliced Food Variety Pack for Cats, 3.0 oz.
The Nutro Company 24 Count Sliced Food Variety Pack for Cats, 3.0 oz.
Price: $28.88

5.0 out of 5 stars The cats loved it..., November 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When it comes to food for my cats, it mostly comes down to one thing... will they eat it? This Nutro wet food was perfect in that category. Both cats wolfed it down, and all three flavors were hits.

Of the three flavors (chicken & tuna, salmon, and turkey), they seemed to gravitate more to the chicken and tuna. They liked the chunks of food instead of the normal paste-ish consistency of wet food. From my perspective, it didn't smell as nasty as many other cat foods can do.

I'd be more than happy to continue to feed this brand and these flavors to my cats... at least until they figured out that they wanted something completely different. :)

Payment: Free

Ammex ILHD Gloveworks Heavy Duty Latex Glove, Disposable, Powder Free, Medium (Box of 100)
Price: $13.47
6 used & new from $11.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and durable..., November 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I selected these gloves not knowing what exactly I'd use them for. However, the timing has been perfect with a few messy projects and some medical issues where they are perfect. I really like these, and will be going back to this brand and type in the future.

These particular gloves are definitely heavy duty, and they hold up well in actual use. My son was using them while working on his bike (chain and lubrication work). He had no issues with tearing, and they had some additional texture for gripping. I'm pretty sure he'll end up using most of the gloves.

We also are using them for changing dressings after a surgery. It's nice to have that extra layer of protection between the hands and the surgical spot. Again, there's more than enough grip and tactile feeling to know what you're doing, and there's no fear of getting a tear during use.

Comfortable, solid, and a good price... can't ask for much more.

Mega Bloks Minions Supervillain Jet
Mega Bloks Minions Supervillain Jet
Offered by Matty's Toy Stop
Price: $21.95
69 used & new from $17.11

4.0 out of 5 stars It was a fun project... and it has MINIONS!, November 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a minion addict, so getting this Mega Bloks kit for the supervillian set was a no-brainer for me. I'm not normally the type that builds LEGO sets, so this experience is still a bit new to me. Overall, it went pretty well but it wasn't without a few issues.

The set comes with a large number of bags that didn't always make sense in terms of what was packaged in each. With the exception of the specialized pieces (like the windows and canopy, I opened all the bags and started building. It's sort of like staring at a jigsaw puzzle when you first start, as there was no familiarity with the various pieces and sizes for me. But after a while, I got the hang of what I was looking for... and of course, the further you go, the fewer pieces there are to choose from. :)

It took me a little over four hours to put everything together (with only a couple of retries). I don't know if that's slow or average, but it's definitely not simple. I'm not sure the 5+ age rating is accurate. I would think you'd need to be a little older (or very patient) to be 5 and make it through this.

I only had three missing pieces, and none of them were vital or obvious. I had a small number of leftover pieces, which makes me wonder what I missed along the way.

As an adult, this is something that I'll put on my shelf and leave there. If I was going to give it to a kid to play with, I'm not sure how long it would last. The moving pieces are fun (like the missiles and trap door), but I don't think they'd hold up long. Maybe if you assembled it with super glue. :)

It's not as high quality as LEGO (in my opinion), but it was a fun project... and it's MINIONS!

Payment: Free

Shacke Luggage Tags with Genuine Leather Strap - Set of 2 (Zebra/Gold Lines)
Shacke Luggage Tags with Genuine Leather Strap - Set of 2 (Zebra/Gold Lines)
Offered by Shacke
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these luggage tags..., November 23, 2015
One element of travel that I hate... trying to figure out which bag is mine as they come off the turntable... and wondering if someone just walked past me with my luggage. I've tried colored tags, but they don't stand out very well (or hold up, for that matter). These Shacke tags are doing a much better job, both in taking a beating and being visually distictive.

The tag itself is made of heavy flexible plastic. They have very little bend-ability to them, and I haven't seen mine get dinged up yet. I was able to trim a slight bit off my business card and slide it into the opening for identification, and it stays in one place (with a nice clear plastic cover over the card. The strap and buckle are real leather, and it's solid. It's not going to tear or come lose unless someone tries to lift your case by the tag... and if they do that, you have other problems anyway.

To top it all off, you get two in the package. I like it, in that you can either use one each for a pair of bags, or use the pair on each handle of your main bag... anything to add a little distinction and visual difference.

Obtained From: Shacke
Payment: Free

Shacke Luggage Tags with Genuine Leather Strap (3D Rainbow Cubes)
Shacke Luggage Tags with Genuine Leather Strap (3D Rainbow Cubes)
Offered by Shacke
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these luggage tags..., November 23, 2015

Obtained From: Shacke
Payment: Free

Diabetic No Show Socks for Men and Women - Perfect for Winter - Moisture Wicking, Copper Infused Socks That Kills 99.9% Bacteria with Antimicrobial Fabric
Offered by Clicks Depot
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd be happy to have a drawer full of these., November 21, 2015
I gave these to my son to try out, as he's a type 1 diabetic. I also gave them a try myself before I handed them over. While I'm not bought into the restorative properties of copper, these *are* good socks that tend to collect less odor than other stocks of the same style.

I found them extremely comfortable to wear, both with and without shoes. I work from home, so I tend to go without shoes for most of the day. They fit well, and didn't slide around on my foot as some short socks can tend to do. The bottom part seemed to have a thicker padding than the rest of the sock, which was perfect for comfort. When I wore them with my shoes, they don't bunch up and create folds (which I hate).

One thing that these socks have which is nice is a lip on the back portion of the ankle. This lines up well with where you normally have the higher portion of the running shoes, and it cuts down on excessive wear on the Achilles tendon (where I tend to get blisters).

Both my son and I have noticed that they have far less odor after daily wear. Based on the sales pitch for copper, that might be the bacteria getting killed off. Again, I don't know if that's indeed the case, but it seems to have that effect.

I'd be happy to have a drawer full of these to replace my regular cotton socks.

Obtained From: Copper Clicks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2015 1:54 AM PST

Host
Host
by Robin Cook
Price: $15.12
112 used & new from $2.57

2.0 out of 5 stars I keep telling myself I'll like the next Cook novel better, but..., November 21, 2015
This review is from: Host (Hardcover)
I don't know why I do this to myself... I read a Robin Cook novel, thinking I'll like the story (I enjoy medical thrillers). But as I get deeper into it, I find myself disliking the book as it's nothing more than a skeleton to push some medical injustice or soapbox that Cook has picked out. I swear I won't read another one... until the "another one" comes out and I try again...

... and I end up with Host.

The storyline isn't bad. Actually, it's the only thing that kept me reading. Healthy younger guy goes into the hospital for a relatively minor surgery (knee repair). Something goes horribly wrong, and he ends up in a coma. Two medical students (one of which is his lover) decide that they need to dig into his case to see how something could go so wrong. What they uncover is a conspiracy that links the hospital and a pharmaceutical firm in a scheme that is unthinkable (and of course, highly illegal).

There's some soapboxing here about the evils of drug companies, the amounts they charge, and the way they spend their money. I'm used to that, and I'll forgive a bit of it. What really turned me off was the characters and dialogue. The two students, best friends, are extremely smart and top of their class. They are fourth year med students, so I'd expect them to know a lot. But it seems like basic medical conditions and terms seem to be beyond them (causing lots of late-night research). I got *very* annoyed with the dialogue, as it was stereotyped and completely unrealistic. Michael is a large black guy, and his "hip and cool" phrasing goes completely overboard. Even if they are friends, I can't imagine people talking like that. Lynn isn't much better, though. She's attacked later in the story, and she's telling Michael what happened. Saying things like "We've stumbled onto a hornets' nest, and my tete-a-tete with the goon got worse." Really? You've just escaped getting raped, and you're saying stuff like that? Couple the dialogue with a large number of situations where you have to suspend belief beyond what is normal, and it was just too much.

I might be a bit more forgiving with a first-time author trying to get it right and find their style. Cook should do far better at this point. I think I'll likely stay away from future Cook novels... just like I've said in the past.

Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

Ekouaer Women's Satin Lace Trim Slip Chemise Nightgown
Ekouaer Women's Satin Lace Trim Slip Chemise Nightgown
Offered by Ekouaer
Price: $13.99 - $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive and comfortable..., November 1, 2015
This is a beautiful gown by Ekouaer that looks great on my wife. I was unsure as how the quality would be given the low price, but this is as good (if not better) than what you'd get from name brands like Victoria's Secret.

I was pleased that the sizing chart was accurate, so what I ordered for my wife fit exactly as expected. The fabric has some stretch to it, so it's forgiving for various curves that are not model-esque. It draped well for a fit that looks attractive from both the front and rear.

My wife appreciated the adjustable straps, as she was able to get a fit that was perfect for her. The lace trim is just as soft as the main fabric, and she can wear this both as sleepwear, or as a black slip underneath a dress.

If you're looking for a shorter nightgown or something racy, this is an excellent option. We're very pleased with it, and we wouldn't hesitate to get additional colors of this style.

Obtained From: Ekouaer