Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 473

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" RSS Feed (Portland, OR United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OZ Naturals - The BEST Eye Gel - Eye Cream For Dark Circles Puffiness and Wrinkles - This Eye Gel Treatment Addresses Every Eye Concern - 100% Natural Ingredients - Considered To Be The Most Potent & Effective Eye Gel - Eye Cream Available - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Eye Gel - 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED!
Price: $19.95
5 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I have less "eye baggage" now..., August 20, 2014
Of any of the OZ Naturals treatments I've tried, the Eye Gel has been the most useful to me. My sleep patterns are... not good, and my eyes (specifically, the bags under my eyes) prove it. Rather than let it get any worse, I tried this to see if it would decrease both the puffiness and darkness, and it does both. I'm really impressed... I can look at my face and I don't see nearly the circles that I used to see. It only takes a small amount applied under each eye one or two times a day, and it really does make things look a whole lot better. I'll continue to use this in hopes of at least looking like I sleep well... :)

Payment: Free

OZ Naturals - THE BEST Hyaluronic Acid Serum For Skin - Clinical Strength Anti Aging Serum - Best Anti Wrinkle Serum With Vitamin C + Vitamin E - Our Customers Call It A Facelift In A Bottle. This Vegan Hyaluronic Acid Serum Will Plump & Hydrate Dull Skin As It's Designed To Fill Those Fine Lines & Wrinkles. Satisfaction 100% GUARANTEED
Price: $18.99
11 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is showing improvement on the fine aging lines I was starting to notice..., August 20, 2014
I've been using the OZ Naturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum as an overall skin treatment on my face the last couple of weeks, and it's been working well. The wrinkling on my forehead has started to ease, as well as the beginnings of some small aging around my neck line. I'm not sure it'll ever go away completely, but this works well to clear up some of the obvious damage. It's easy to apply (a few drops on the fingertips and rub it in), and it adds a level of moisture to the skin that wasn't there before. And with no irritation, I'll continue to use it.

Payment: Free

OZ Naturals - THE BEST Vitamin C Serum For Your Face - Organic Vitamin C + Amino + Hyaluronic Acid Serum- Clinical Strength 20% Vitamin C with Vegan Hyaluronic Acid Leaves Your Skin Radiant & More Youthful By Neutralizing Free Radicals. This Anti Aging Serum Will Finally Give You The Results You've Been Looking For - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Vitamin C Serum -100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED
Price: $27.99
17 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the effect it's having around my eyes and on the backs of my hands..., August 20, 2014
I've been using this recently on both my hands and around the corners of my eyes. I normally don't spend much time doing skin care, but I'm getting older and things are starting to show some wear. I didn't expect much in terms of difference, but I was surprised. The wrinkling around the eyes has decreased, and the backs of my hands are showing less aging now. There is a definite "plumping" effect that causes the skin to look more full and moist. I also didn't have any adverse skin reaction to using the serum, so there's no drawback to me continuing its use.

All in all, a happy customer...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality firestarters for a great price..., August 17, 2014
You're out of matches and you need to start a fire (fireplace, campfire, etc). What do you do? One option is to use The Friendly Swede Premium Firestarter rods and strikers. I've tried a few of these over time for an emergency bag, and these are the best I've used (both for the quality of the sparking and the value - 2 of them - for the price you'd normally pay for one).

The set comes with two ferrocerium rods, two strikers, and two 17" chains to keep them paired up. I like the size of the chain, as you can leave it attached to the two items and still have enough play to generate the sparks. These rods also seem to generate more (and larger) sparks than other ones. To test it, I took some laundry lint (a *great* fire tinder) and laid it out on the ground. After scraping off the black rod coating, I ran the striker down the rod and generated a cascade of sparks. It only two two strikes for the sparks to catch the lint on fire... *almost* as easy as a match. :)

These are perfect for tossing into your camping kit as a backup to wet or missing matches. They're also great for adding to an emergency bag in case of disasters. These will last for a *very* long time, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal (or better quality) for these.

Obtained From: Retailer

Resistant
Resistant
by Michael Palmer
Price: $20.17
107 used & new from $5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to miss Dr. Lou Welcome..., August 17, 2014
This review is from: Resistant (Hardcover)
I'm sad that Resistant by Michael Palmer is the last episode of Dr. Lou Welcome that I'll ever have the pleasure of reading. Palmer passed away as the book was being finished, so this will serve as his final work. I read that his family worked to finish it up and get it published, and I wonder if that's responsible for a few of the nagging issues I had with the story.

The overall story line involves the emergence of a bacteria that is resistant to all antibiotics that doctors have available. Patients who end up with the Doomsday Germ start out with a small infection that rapidly turns toxic, leading to amputations and usually death. The question is where did it come from? The answer lies in a shadow terrorist group known as One Hundred Neighbors, a group that has tentacles throughout government and industry. They have an agenda, and they are willing to use germ warfare to accomplish their aims. Dr. Welcome gets involved when his best friend and AA sponsor seriously injures his leg in a trail run. Welcome is able to get him to a hospital in time, but when Cap gets the Doomsday infection, Welcome shifts into overdrive to try and find a way to keep his friend from dying. Unfortunately, there are a number of people who are just as committed to making sure he doesn't.

I picked up the book yesterday at the library, and finished it early this morning. I haven't done that in a while with a library book. For me, the main driver was the characters that Palmer created. Dr. Welcome is a fun blend of sarcasm and loyalty, willing to do anything he can to help and protect those he cares about. One of the other major characters is also unique, as he has severe cerebral palsy, Palmer handles that with a lot of respect for the person under the disease.

Where I had some issues is with the One Hundred Neighbors plot driver. On one hand, having a "powerful mystery group" allows you a lot of leeway in where you can go with the story. It also allowed Palmer to keep the reader guessing as to who was the good guy vs. the bad guy when dealing with various organizations. But the agenda portion of the group almost seemed to be a soapbox for the author (although I hope he wasn't really that far right-wing). He also didn't do much in terms of detailing much about how the group was holding the government hostage to accomplish their goals. Other than "we've done this and been responsible for that, and if you don't do this next thing, we'll do this other thing", it was all sort of vague.

I'm also OK with some level of "suspension of belief", but a few items in the story pushed that a little too far. For instance, if someone took a bullet to the head, would they *really* be allowed to leave the hospital after only a couple of days *and* be allowed to resume work immediately? I'm guessing... no. But even with those problems, I still enjoyed the book (and "couldn't put it down").

Mr. Palmer, thanks for the many hours of reading enjoyment you're given us. You'll be missed.

Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead
So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead
by John Austin
Price: $10.10
109 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars How to be successful in your next "life"..., August 17, 2014
I didn't go to the library to get this, but it happened to be on display as a "recommended read"... So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead by John Austin. I thought it might be a fun read and twist from the normal zombie reading material I've looked at. With it's tongue-in-cheek approach to zombie "survival", it was entertaining.

Contents:
Introduction - The Road to Brainville: Zombie Assessment; Safety Precautions; Zeds' Disclaimer
What the Hell Am I?: Screw Responsibility!; Zombie History; Not in the Family
Your Zombie Body: Body Parts of Importance; Use Your Head!; Body Language; What's Your Body Type?; Post-life Expectancy; Body Q&A
Know Your Enemy: Human Needs; Humans Will Make Mistakes; How to Kill a Human
Hunting for Brains: Lunch, Dinner, or Midnight Snack?; Tracking; Hunting Techniques; Waiting for Food; Human Structures; Obstacles You Will Face; Terrain Types; I See a Human - What Should I Do?
Transportation: How to Stop a Vehicle; Human Extraction; How to Hitch a Ride; Rides to Avoid; One-Brain Vehicles
Attacking: Holding Techniques; Use Your Body as a Weapon; Zed Melee Weapon; Defensive Strategies; Avoiding the Bullet; The Flame; Hand-to-Mouth Combat; Combat Quiz
Human Buffet: The Preferable Flesh; Feeding Etiquette; Absorption; Ordering Off the Menu; Other Foods to Avoid
Infecting: Administering an Infection; Stages of Zombification; Worldwide Infection; Infecting Animals
In the End: Never Give Up!; Escaping Captivity; Zombicide
Appendix: The Zombie Code
Final World: A Message for the Living

OK... Just to acknowledge the elephant in the room for those who don't do humor very well... Yes, I know you could not read this book if you were a zombie, nor could you plan or execute some of the techniques outlined in the book. Just get over it, OK? This isn't meant to be real-life.

I enjoyed looking at zombies from the perspective of what a zombie would have to know to "survive". Everyone (and every book, movie, and TV series) has their own angle on how zombies act and what they need to survive. It was interesting to see how some of those different views were blended into the material. For instance, I flashed back to episodes of The Walking Dead more than once when I was reading.

If you like the zombie genre, you'll probably like this for what it is... an entertaining look on what it takes to make it as a walker. Who knows? If a zombie outbreak ever *does* occur, maybe you'll remember enough of this to make your next life a bit more successful. :)

Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

Allen Sports 5W USB Rechargeable Aluminum Light Set, Grey
Allen Sports 5W USB Rechargeable Aluminum Light Set, Grey
Price: $38.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid choice for a bike light..., August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Allen bike light set works really well if you definitely want to be seen when riding at night. It's extremely bright, installs quickly, and can double as a flashlight since it detaches from the mount.

The lights are made from aluminum, and the quality is solid. They both have some substance to them, and it doesn't feel like you're handling a plastic-y toy. The mounting was easy, too. The front bracket has a pin that you untwist until it comes out of the clamp. You then put the clamp around the handlebars and tighten it down. The inside of the clamp has a toothed hard rubber lining so it both grips well and avoids scratching your bars. The back light has the same type of grip mechanism, but it's held in place by rubberized straps. I found they both held their place very well.

The rear light cycles through a solid red/flashing red setting. The front light goes from bright to half-power to flashing. And bright is REALLY bright. Don't look directly into the lens... it's really powerful. It also has a sliding head that changes the beam from flood to focused. This can come into play if you're using it as a flashlight once you detach it from the mount.

I found the detaching mechanism a bit on the stiff side. The light slips into the bracket from the front, and it locks into place. To release it, you have to push a small tab on the back of the bracket to pull the locking mechanism down so the light can slide out. The tail light works the same way. I love that they lock in that tightly (they will NOT fall out), but I found I had to fumble a bit to get the tab pressed each time.

This is a solid bike light choice, and one that I'm happy with.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program

STANLEY STMT73795 Mixed Tool Set, 210-Piece
STANLEY STMT73795 Mixed Tool Set, 210-Piece
Price: $129.00
3 used & new from $129.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good basic set of tools (with a somewhat annoying case)..., August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not terribly good at home repair or DIY projects, but I like to have a decent set of tools around when I need to do something "handy". Unfortunately, years of "borrowing" by the kids have left me lacking a lot of the basics. Getting this Stanley 210-piece mixed tool set is perfect for my needs. It has a wide range of sockets, wrenches, and screwdriver bits for many of the things I'd end up doing.

I found that all the tools (like the screwdrivers and pliers) fit well in my hands and are comfortable while I'm using them. I think what I'll get the most use out of are the 55 screwdriver bits. I've never been able to keep much more than a few basic bits, so having a full set with a large number of size and style variations will help a lot.

The only thing I don't care much for is the case. In theory, it's nice that everything has a place where it can snap in, and it makes it really easy to find the stuff you want. The bad part is more than a couple of the items don't stay snapped in very well. The two pliers and the adjustable wrench are the worst, in that they are often laying loose in the case when I open it up. Fortunately, it's not the sockets that are falling out, but it's still annoying.

I'm sure an experienced handyman would see this set as basic and decent, and would want something more or better. For someone like myself who has never done a good job of keeping a full set intact, this works well.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free

Hydration Belt for Running, Marathon, Races, Cross Country, Walking and Hiking - The Best Fuel Gear for Sports & Leisure | Includes Accessories and Two 9-Ounce Leak-Proof Water Bottles | Bounce-Free & Fits Most Waist Sizes | 1-Year Warranty
Offered by Adalid Gear
Price: $42.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll now have liquids on my walks..., August 16, 2014
I must be semi-serious about my walking, as I actually look forward to trying out new exercise-related gear. I got the chance to try out the Adalid Gear Hydration Belt, and I really like it. This is a whole lot easier to use when it comes to having water available on longer walks. 90 degrees doesn't scare me as much now...

The belt is made from a stretchy neoprene with adjustable straps, so it's far better than a "one size fits all" approach (because there is no "one size"). It states that it fits waists between 27" and 40", and I can confirm that on the upper end of that range (and probably even a smidgen more). The two "holsters" on the side hold two 9 ounce bottles that are easy to use without breaking pace. The bottles fit very snugly, so there's no chance they're going to fall out. The pouch on the front is a good size, and will easily hold a cell phone, ID, and keys during your run/walk.

Oh, and there are also two strands on the front to hold race numbers, but I can tell you those won't get any wear and tear in my situation. :) However, it's a nice touch.

When I was out on a three mile walk (moving fairly fast for my short legs), the belt fit perfectly. It was snug, it didn't move around, and it wasn't in the way. I could also cover most of it with my t-shirt, so I didn't look like I was wearing a dreaded fanny pack. The water bottles were positioned perfectly to be easy to grab and use, yet they also didn't get in the way of a normal arm swing. I normally use a running vest (not the epitome of fashion, but it works for holding stuff), but the water pouch is on the back. Not convenient... as such, I normally go without liquids. Now with this hydration belt, I have plenty of fluids for the time and distance I normally go.

I would definitely recommend this if you're a walker/runner who wants/needs to have fluids available and in easy reach during your outing.

Obtained From: Retailer
Payment: Free

Jumbl™ Mini Portable Car Jump Starter Power Bank w/12,000mAh Capacity - Supplies Car Battery w/Boost of 400 Amps - Features LED Light & Dual USB Device Charging Ports
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $129.99
2 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an incredible device..., August 16, 2014
This was truly a surprise... I didn't think that something as small as the Jumbl Mini Portable Car Jump Starter Power Bank could actually do what it touts... jump start a car. It's only 3" wide, 7" long, 1" high, and less than a pound. Really? Well, it does that and a whole lot more.

I was able to test this out with a friend that needed a jump start. Much to my surprise, it worked! This is SO much easier than having to haul out heavy jumper cables, maneuver another car into a place where the jumper cables will reach, hook everything up, etc. In less than a minute, this is hooked up and ready to go.

If that wasn't enough, it does even more. It has two USB outlets that you can use to charge mobile devices just like you would any other external battery pack. The USB cable comes with a number of adapters (including a lightning adapter), so it really doesn't matter the brand or style. The unit has it's own wall charger, but it also has a car adapter that you can use to charge up the unit if you're on the road. And not that I'll use them, but they even have adapter plugs for the wall charger so that you can use it with European two prong and UK three prong outlets.

Finally, for safety purposes it comes with an LED light that cycles from steady to slow flash to SOS flash. I'm not sure someone would recognize the SOS signal as opposed to the slow flash setting, but that's not a big deal. If you're on a dark road and you want to see what you're doing or signal down a passing car, this has you covered.

This is now a "must have" in the car, and I've put a repeating reminder on my calendar to make sure the charge is topped off every three months. I'm not cancelling my AAA membership, but I'm going to be real happy to not have to wait on them if someone leaves a light on in the car.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20