Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19038

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" RSS Feed (Portland, OR United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Best Flatware Silverware Kitchen Drawer Organizer -Eliminate Clutter with Adjustable Dividers and Expendable Bamboo - Great As a Utensil Tray Holder, Keurig K Cup Coffee Capsules Storage and Spice Rack
Offered by Home-Complete
Price: $61.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flexibility as a drawer organizer..., July 19, 2015
This is an excellent drawer organizer in our kitchen. We just replaced all our cabinets as part of a kitchen remodel, and this was the perfect option for us.

The fact that it's bamboo makes it look far better than those plastic-type kitchen utensil organizers that I've grown up with. It's also staying a lot cleaner than what we had before. The adjustable nature of the organizer, both side to side and with the dividers, pretty much assures that it'll fit any drawer size as well as create any configuration that works best for your needs.

I'm thinking that I might get a couple more of these for our larger knives and baking utensils, as well as one for our junk drawer. This may be one of the most functional parts of our new kitchen (definitely the cheapest part!)

Obtained From: Home-Complete
Payment: Free

Best 3 Bamboo Cutting Boards - Large Medium Small Size Set - Anti-microbial and Germ-resistant Butcher Block Wood - Stands up Heavy Use Cut Board - Take Good Care of Your Chopping Knives and Kitchen Food - Lifetime Guarantee!
Offered by Home-Complete
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These look very nice and perform well..., July 19, 2015
These bamboo cutting boards came at a perfect time. We just finished a kitchen remodel, and these look far better than what we had before. :)

The mix of 13", 11", and 8" sizes work nicely for various tasks. The large one works well for when I'm cutting meat, while the other two work better for veggies and other smaller cutting options. They've been very resistant to showing any knife cuts, so they still look like new. Clean-up is very easy, and I feel better knowing that I'm working with bamboo and not something else that can aid the growth of bacteria.

In our non-remodeled kitchen, we had a few plastic "boards" that were looking very ratty. They also curled over time. These boards obviously don't have any of those issues, as well as just looking great. I'm very happy with these cutting boards, and I'm looking forward to years of use.

Obtained From: Premium Kitchen
Payment: Free

InnoGear® 400 Lumen Waterproof Solar Powered Outdoor Motion Sensor Detector Wall Light Sconces Stairway Path Garage Patio Lighting Security Night Lights Lamp (White)(White)
Offered by InnoGear
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $22.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of form and function..., June 24, 2015
I've been extremely pleased with the InnoGear motion detector lamp, as it provides that perfect mix of convenience and functionality that I love to see in a product. It's one of those products where I'd like to have more than one...

The main benefit on this is the fact it's solar powered, so I haven't had to worry about replacing the batteries at all. The 18650 battery keeps it going through the night (depending on what mode I use), and the recharge during the day preps it for the next night. I haven't had to think about it at all.

The three modes pretty much cover the range that I need. I can have it set to steady on, which would be nice if I wanted a bright light in a specific area. The second mode is the more traditional "on when motion detected, off when everything is still". That's the most common mode I use, and it turns on when I get within 15 or so feet of the door. The final mode is a steady dim light which turns to bright when it detects motion. I like to refer to this as the "night light" mode, as you know it's there and it responds with a bright light only when needed.

I have this in use over a garage doorway, and again, it works perfectly. I can see a couple other areas of the house outside where it would also work. I can also imagine a lot of scenarios that would work for other people, such as on an outside stairway or a basement entrance that would be overly dark if not lit up any other way.

Definitely recommended if you have outdoor lighting needs, especially if you don't have wiring available where you want it.

Obtained From: InnoGear
Payment: Free

Ivation Universal Smartphone Camera Lens Kit for iPhone 6/6 plus & All Smartphones,10x Telephoto Lens,Fisheye Lens, Macro Lens, Wide Angle Lens(Black)
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid kit for expanding your iPhone camera..., June 22, 2015
I enjoy playing around with my iPhone's camera, and I've had the chance to try out the Ivation smartphone camera lens kit. This is a clip-on set of lenses that telephoto, fisheye, macro, and wide-angle capabilities to your phone's camera. Overall, this worked pretty well, even with my camera case on.

The clip is easy to put on, and it also provides a stabilizing screw to allow the clip to clamp down a little tighter than normal to stay put in one place. I found this was useful when using the lenses with my camera case, as it kept the lenses from sliding around in the case slot. It should be noted that you shouldn't crank it down really hard, as you might damage the glass. It's more for general stability, not rock solid attachments.

The lenses are durable with the metal casings. I found the wide-angle and macro lenses worked well, and provided high-quality images with little effort. The same goes for the fisheye lens, although I found myself not using that one as much as the other two. The telephoto lens also provided very good images, but I had to work a lot harder to get the lens lined up with the phone lens. It was hard to eliminate all the black border area due to misalignment, and I wish it had a bit more "wiggle room" in that lens.

Overall, this is a good kit for adding to your iPhone's photo capabilities. If you take some time to practice and get familiar with everything, it works well.

Obtained From: Ivation

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm excited to see where this is going..., June 20, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
I'm continually intrigued with how the Internet Of Things continues to evolve. When I had an offer to get in on the Amazon Echo beta, I was all for it. After using it for a couple of months, I find that I really like having it on my desk. It hasn't yet turned into a "must have" device for me, but it's solidly in the "prefer to have it" category.

Set-up was very easy, and it's done with the mobile app that you download. In fact, you do all the configuration with the mobile app, so make sure you have one before you order this (although I'd think you wouldn't be much interested in the Echo if you *didn't* have a mobile device of some sort already).

The Echo does a great job in picking up its name (Alexa) and deciphering the question or statement made to it. The mobile app has a section that shows each of the commands you gave it, with an opportunity to offer feedback on how it did in getting the information incorrect. I like that touch in that it bodes well for on-going improvement.

I'm finding that it doesn't do quite as well as Siri when it comes to being able to answer anything other than direct questions. If I ask Siri the address of a certain business, it will usually tell me with no problem. Alexa, not so much. I find that I have to think more about *how* to ask a question instead of just spitting it out. Some things are easy, like "how tall is Mt. Hood". It didn't do as well with questions like "when is the next US women's World Cup game". However, I'm guessing that will continue to improve over time.

What I've found I use it mostly for is music. I love the fact that I can ask it to play a certain Pandora station, tell it to increase or decrease the volume, skip a song, and so forth. I also like asking for today's news flash, and I get a recap from various sources. I don't have to grab my iPhone, unlock the screen, find the app, etc. I listen to music on a daily basis now, where before it was somewhat rare.

I know there are still many aspects of the Echo that I haven't uncovered yet, things that would probably make this something that I couldn't live without. I'm highly impressed that Amazon is continuing to make changes on a weekly basis, so the device is continuing to grow and evolve. It's that growth and prospect that makes me give this a five star instead of a four. It's a beta device with a future, and one that's already worth owning.

Obtained From: Amazon
Payment: Purchase

Yooeur 3 in 1 Cell Phone Clip Camera Lens Kit Including One 180 Degree Fish Eye Lens / One 2 in 1 0.65X Wide Angle Lens & 10X Macro Lens for Your Apple iPhone for iPhone 6 Plus /iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S6 / Samsung S5 / Samsung S4, Samsung Note 4 / Samsung Note 3 / Samsung Note 2, Sony Xperia, Motorla Droid and Other Smart Phones, Pad Air 2/1, iPad 4/3/2, iPad Mini 3/2/1 and Tablet PC- 1-Year Warranty
Offered by TRAFUN
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting possibilities, June 11, 2015
I've been playing around with this clip-on camera lens kit, and it has some interesting possibilities. I don't think I'll use them on a regular basis, but for specialized shots it would be fun to have available.

In my situation, I'm using it on an iPhone 6 Plus with a UAG case. My first fear was that I wouldn't be able to use it at all with my case (it's not overly smooth). While it's not quite as easy to position as it would be with just the iPhone, it does work. I'm more apt to use it if I don't have to take the case off each time. I like the fact it comes with the pouch to keep everything in one place, as it'd be easy to misplace or lose the lenses or caps.

The fisheye lens is probably the most useful. It does a good job with the fisheye effect both close-up and from a distance. The macro lens also does a good close-up job, which is what it's supposed to do. I'm not overly fond of the wide-angle lens, though. It only works if you're REALLY close to the subject. Otherwise, everything is just a blur.

If you like taking pictures with your smart phone or tablet, this is worth having around. It's not going to be something you use every day, but you'll definitely expand your possibilities.

Obtained From: Yooeur

The Fixer
The Fixer
by Joseph Finder
Price: $19.01
98 used & new from $8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars I like how the characters in The Fixer are flawed like real individuals..., June 10, 2015
This review is from: The Fixer (Hardcover)
As I expected, this didn't disappoint. It didn't take me long to race through it, and now I'm back to waiting for his next one.

The main character, Rick Hoffman, is a writer/investigative reporter who's life is bottoming out. His job as a "reporter" for a glitzy social/society magazine has come to an end, along with all the glamour, benefits, and the paycheck. His father, a lawyer who defended some shady characters and businesses, is languishing in a nursing home from a stroke. Rick is sleeping on the sofa in his father's abandoned house, and he's not really sure what he's going to do to turn things around. That all changes when his neighbor offers to do some renovation in order to sell the house, and Rick stumbles on $3.7 million hidden away behind a false wall in the attic. How did the money get there, who does it belong to, and what did his father do in order to be sitting on that much cash?

Those questions lead Rick to start digging into his father's life, and he's bringing up events that a number of people would prefer stay covered up. His instincts as an investigative reporter won't allow him to ignore the story, and apparently physical beatdowns won't do it either. The main question is how far Rick will go to find the truth, or will he decide that silence is golden (in more ways than one).

The thing that I like most about Finder's novels is that the characters are far from perfect, and they have flaws just like everyone in real life. Rick is not very likeable in the beginning, but he has to come to grips with some unsettling truths about his father. In the process, he has to completely re-assess who his father was, and what his father's actions actually meant (as opposed to how Rick felt about them his entire life).

The combination of action and interaction made The Fixer an excellent read. Now I just have to be patient for a year or two... :)

Obtained From: Author
Payment: Free

Eltronica Lantern - Super Bright LED Collapsible Camping Light - Great for Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Backpacking, Emergency & Anything Outdoor. Every Home Should Have One for Power Outage and Emergencies.
Offered by Equinox International
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique design and very good performance..., June 9, 2015
This camo lantern has one of the most creative designs I've seen in items like this. There's no hunting around for switches in the dark or trying to manage tiny screws to change batteries. You can even tell which direction you're going...

The lantern is just under six inches in height and 3.5 inches across at the base. The base unscrews to expose the housing for the 3 AA batteries that power the lantern. You need to know that this does NOT come with batteries, so you'll have to buy your own. I love how easy it is to get to the batteries, as you won't lose small pieces or need tiny screwdrivers while you're out camping.

The lantern turns on and off by sliding the top out of the base. That exposes 2.5 inches of plastic and the LED bulbs underneath. There's only a single brightness (which is rated at 120 lumens), and it turns on once you slide it up about 1/4 inch. You can get some level of light control by not raising the unit completely out of the base. That leaves less area for the light to come out, and the base is somewhat translucent so that some light passes through the camouflage design.

The top has two metal loop handles that rest against the side or swivels up to the top for hanging. And if all that wasn't enough, there's a little floating disc compass embedded into the top. Compared to the compass on my iPhone, it's not off by more than five degrees.

I like this lantern a lot. It's light and easy to use, and it has enough light to use in a tent or as a lamp to carry on a dark trail. When you factor in the price, this is hard to beat.

Obtained From: Eltronica
Payment: Free

Zak! Designs Placemat with Minions from Despicable Me 2, Set of 4, BPA-free Plastic
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars more like fine art to me, June 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
OK... let's get the disclaimer out of the way first... I *LOVE* Minions. I can't tell you how many minion items I have around the house that I've either bought or that friends have sent me. I also don't have young kids, so these will never really get used as placemats.

In fact, I don't view these as placemats... more like fine art to me. :)

Seriously, these are thin plastic that could easily slide around on tables. It will help with localized messes with children missing the plate or leaving water rings, but they're not heavy duty. They'd also be good for small craft projects, and they are easy to clean up.

Having said all that... I still love them. In all likelihood, I'll probably have a couple on my wall down in the mancave, or use them on my minion shelf where a number of my minion items are. I still smile when I look at the mats and see all the various expressions and looks. :)

If you want heavy placemats for daily usage with young kids, you could probably do better. If you're obsessed with minions (that's me!), then you'll want a set regardless.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program

Silk'n Revit Microderm Device
Silk'n Revit Microderm Device
Price: $99.00
5 used & new from $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars as I can see how some people would go overboard and do more damage than good with overuse, June 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never done mirodermabrasion on my skin, and to be honest, it's not something that is going to dramatically change my looks or make me look years younger. But it was an interesting concept that I was interested in trying.

The tool basically combines suction and scrubbing to eliminate dead skin cells where you use the tool. For me, I tried it out on my nose area to see how it would treat the pores there. Overall, it *does* work. I had plenty of dead skin in the filter, and it did smooth out the pores. I could probably do a fair amount of the same thing by using a heavy scrub, but this works at a deeper level.

From what I've read about professional dermabrasion, this is definitely a few steps down from that. That's probably wise, as I can see how some people would go overboard and do more damage than good with overuse. You'd have to really be trying to hurt yourself with this, and following the instructions keeps you within the limits of what yo should expect.

If you have some minor skin imperfections like light scarring or light lines, this is worth checking out. Don't expect miracles (I certainly didn't get them), but it will help.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program