Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 552

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" RSS Feed (Portland, OR United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Reflective Vest (2-Pack) | Lightweight, Adjustable & Elastic |Safety & High Visibility for Running, Jogging, Walking, Cycling at Day & Night in Traffic | Fits Over Sports Gear/Outdoor Clothing - Motorcycle Jacket/Running Gear/Shirt | 1 Year Warranty
Offered by Apace EZ Solutions
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The uses are endless..., May 26, 2015
It's the sign of a good product when you get it for one reason and you continually find additional uses for it. These reflective "vests" are a prime example of that characteristic. I'm still finding reasons to want "just one more"...

At its core, this is a way to make yourself more visible in less-than-ideal visual conditions. The neon green is an eye-catcher for color and movement, and the reflective strips do a great job in reflecting light back, such as headlights (the most obvious scenario). That's the main test of a product like this, and it passes well.

Where this differs from other vests is that it's not really a vest. It's more like a combination of a belt and suspenders. There are four adjustment points (two on the belt, one on each suspender strap), so it's easy to get a secure fit. The crossover in the back also keeps it sitting well on the shoulders without slipping off. Weight? It weighs next to nothing. Plus, you can wear it over anything in any weather for any activity.

When I first got this, I was thinking it would be good for walking when it was darker outside. Yeah, it's good for that. But then it was "this would be good for my sons when they are riding in the dark." And then it was "it would be good to have one of these in the car if I have to change a tire when it's dark out." And so on, and so on...

If there were just one in the package, it'd be a good deal. As a set of two, it's a steal... and don't be surprised if you order another set.

Obtained From: Apace Vision

Brixton Men's Messer Fedora Hat, Black/Black, X-Large
Brixton Men's Messer Fedora Hat, Black/Black, X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars It only took me 54 years to find some piece of fashion that I can rock and call my own..., May 26, 2015
I recently started wearing a brown felt fedora that I had owned for a number of years, but never thought I looked good in hats. The brown one got positive comments, so I've started to wear it as a signature piece. When I decided to go to a conference, I thought I needed a black fedora since I often wear all black. OMG! I have NEVER had so many comments on something I've worn in my life. It looks great, it fits my head (a tricky concept to start with), and it does add a stylistic flair I've never had before. It's rare that I wear it out now without getting at least one compliment on it.

I've never had a "spur of the moment" purchase turn out so well. If you're thinking of going the felt fedora route, I highly recommend this hat.

Red Boa - 60 gr, 72"
Red Boa - 60 gr, 72"
Offered by Clicket Party Supplies and Costumes
Price: $11.06
4 used & new from $8.43

4.0 out of 5 stars If you consider these as "disposable" after two or three wearings, then they'll work fine..., May 26, 2015
This review is from: Red Boa - 60 gr, 72"
These boas worked fine for what I intended them for. I was at a conference where there was a "Red Party" one evening. There's a bit of a running joke about wearing boas, so I decided we needed to have red boas for this event. I got three red boas just in time before I flew out, and they were a big hit.

In terms of quality, these won't last forever. They shed like crazy, and you'll probably get two or three wearings before they start to look like you just went through molting season. But for a party or two, they'll do fine and work as you'd expect.

Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set, Blue Sea, One Size
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set, Blue Sea, One Size
Price: $21.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but a bit on the smaller side..., May 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm finding that I like using packing cubes when I travel. It's not so much that they allow me to pack more, but they keep things better organized. I tried out the Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set I got from the Amazon Vine review program, and they work well. They're not my favorite cube set, but they tend to work better for trips where I'm using just carry-on luggage.

The construction of these cubes are good. The stitches are solid, and in some parts, the seams are double-stitched. The zippers have two sliders, so you don't necessarily have to un-zip the whole cube to get access to either side. Most of the upper layer is an open mesh for air flow, so anything in the cube will have plenty of ventilation.

The only complaint I have is the overall sizing of the set. The large cube is approximately 14" x 10", and that's a good size to pack all your underwear and socks. The medium one is approximately 10" by 7.5". That's starting to get a bit small for clothing storage, but is OK for packing other things like some tech gear (so it stays all in one location). The smallest cube is 8" x 4". That's really too small for any specific items, so I tend to use that for smaller items that I'd put in the mesh pouch you find in some suitcases, like fingernail clippers, chapstick, etc.

In my case, I'll probably mix these cubes in with the larger set that I have. That way I can have cubes for my shirts *and* for the smaller items that these are more useful to contain.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free

iPad case, iPad keyboard case, New Trent Airbender 1.0 Wireless Bluetooth Clamshell iPad Keyboard Case with 360 Degree Rotation and Multi-Angle Stand for iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2 - Black and Silver
Offered by idealpoint
Price: $36.95
19 used & new from $19.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design and solid performance..., May 24, 2015
I like my iPad a lot, but it's always a hassle to try and work with a real keyboard if you're wedged in a chair during a meeting or a conference. I tried out the New Trent Airbender 1.0 bluetooth clamshell iPad keyboard case, and I think I've found my new everyday case. I like everything about this one.

The iPad snaps into the upper part of the clamshell, and it stays solidly in place. The top part is attached to the keyboard portion with a metal arm that slides back and forth on the base. What this means is that when you open the case, you can adjust the angle of the iPad display to either be straight up or to angle back at about 45 degrees. There are a couple of indentations in the keyboard where the edge of the iPad rests, again adding to a bit more flexibility on angle. You can even flip the iPad portion of it over and treat the whole thing as a flat tablet.

Everything feels very solid in the design. The cutouts are placed perfectly to allow access to all the switches and ports on the iPad. The little clasp in front holds the case closed to prevent accidental openings. It doesn't add a whole lot of bulk, either. Given that everything stays together in one piece, it's extremely convenient to use in close quarters.

I had been using a nice canvas case before, but I had to carry a bluetooth keyboard as a separate piece. That works well if you're on a table, but it's not good if you're trying to type while sitting in a conference or large gathering. This design works much better, as I can flip it up, set the angle at about 45 degrees, and I can use a real keyboard while having it sitting in my lap.

Good design, and solid performance...

Obtained From: New Trent

Fiddle For Dummies, Book + Online Video and Audio Instruction
Fiddle For Dummies, Book + Online Video and Audio Instruction
by Michael Sanchez
Price: $19.25
63 used & new from $10.86

5.0 out of 5 stars This has been an excellent learning tool..., May 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I took a shot at trying to learn the fiddle awhile back, but for a number of unrelated reasons I ended up stopping. I've been looking to get started again, and this book is perfect for me.

I like the mix of reading (my primary learning method) and audio/video clips. Sort of having an actual teacher in front of me, this mix is perfect. I feel like I'm getting the foundation and fundamentals down solid, and that's important to me. I hate styles that push you hard and fast, as I don't feel like I really understand what I'm doing... just that I'm mimicking someone else.

I also appreciate how the author covers various styles. I look at fiddle from a bluegrass angle, but I also like the celtic sounds. This book will help me understand both and give me more room for creativity and flexibility going forward.

Basically, this is a very good path to start learning on your own.

Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free

[Brightest Book Light Ever] Anybest 8-Led Bulbs Rechargeable Flexible Clip on Desk Table Usb Light Lamp - Dual Adjustable Long Arm with 2 Head Perfect for Bbq, Grill, Reading, Working, Laptop, Book, Music, Piano, Bed, Desktop, Tabletop- Lifetime Warranty
Offered by US Grand LLC
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot..., May 19, 2015
I'm always on the look out for decent reading lights that allow me to read in bed without having all the lights turned on. The Anybest 8-LED clip-on lamp fits the bill perfectly. It's far better than the little barrel-style lights I've used in the past, and it contorts itself in just about any angle necessary to get optimal light.

Instead of just having a single gooseneck lamp configuration, this has two nine inch arms with a four LED lamp on the top of each stem. The lamps actually extend along the side of the lamp housing instead of being a single spot on the tip. This gives a much better light spread than most lamps. The lamps also have a low and high setting, so you can adjust the light as you deem necessary.

The clip is a bit on the large side, which might be a problem if you're trying to clip it onto a smaller book (like a paperback). If that's a problem, you could really just lay it on your chest and use the light that way (the two arms give it stability on a flat surface). It's larger because that's where the rechargable battery is stored. I *love* the fact that I can recharge it instead of having to replace the batteries every eight hours. I'll admit I would have preferred they use a micro-USB connector so that I didn't have a special cord I had to track for the lamp, but that's a minor concern for me given the quality of the light.

Bottom line... this is a very good clip-on lamp for reading or other portable lighting needs. I like it a lot.

Obtained From: Vendor
Payment: Free

Premium Beard Oil and Conditioner - HUGE 4 oz Bottle - FOUR TIMES LARGER - 100% Natural - Softens Your Beard and Stops Itching - Bold Forest Scent - With Nourishing Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Plus Three Essential Oils!
Offered by Stardom Brands LLC
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beard grooming, and a great scent..., May 18, 2015
My beard stays trimmed closely to the face, but it still occasionally gets a bit dry or sports some stray hairs. I've been using the Beardsmen Beard Oil to fix those things, and it works really well. It moisturizes the beard and smells really good.

The recommended usage is to pour a dime-sized amount into your hand, rub your hands together, and then massage the oil into your beard. I found that works perfectly. I can use a little less, since I have less beard than the typical hipster look. But it still absorbs quickly, and I'm not looking for something to wipe my hands on afterwards.

The most distinctive and enjoyable part of the oil is the scent. It's infused with jojoba oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, and three essential oils, and all those blend into a scent that is very outdoor-sy, rugged, and fresh. It smells like something your father would have worn, and that would bring back fond memories whenever you smell it.

If you need some help in controlling a wild beard, definitely take a look at this. It's not a bad option if you're looking for a new signature scent, either...

Obtained From: Vendor
Payment: Free

Timpo USB Data Cable, 2 in 1 Zip Binder USB Charger Cable Cord Colorful Sync Data Line Lightning Aluminium Shell Hemp Rope High Speed Charging for iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s/ 5/5c, iPad Series,samsung Galaxy / Note Series Android Smartphone (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars A different cable design that works well..., May 17, 2015
I like playing around with different and unique cable designs. The latest one I received is the Timpo USB data cable that has both a micro-USB and Lightning plugs, but it combines them in an interesting way.

The cable itself is close to three feet in length, and that gives a fair amount of play between your device and the power outlet. The cable is covered by a hemp rope braiding, and I really do like the braided design. It keeps the cord from getting tangled or easily damaged.

The unique part of this cable is that the two plug cords use a zipper to control how much split you have between the micro-USB and the Lightning plug. If you zip the cable up all the way, the two plugs are separated by about an inch of space. Unzipping the cables (which goes about halfway down the overall cable length) provides a couple feet of separation. I've found that if I'm just recharging things, I keep the cable zipped up. But if I'm using the device while I'm using both plugs, I unzip then so I can have one device sitting off to the side while still using the other device.

I'm quite happy with the quality and performance of this cable. It's definitely different, but it delivers on the unique design.

Obtained From: Timpo
Payment: Free

ONLY® Cut Resistant Gloves - EN388 Level 5 Protection, Super Soft, Superfine Fiber, Food Grade Material, Food Cutting Gloves, Meat Cutter Gloves, Butcher Gloves, Washable, Stronger Than Leather, More Comfortable Than Steel Mesh (Full Size, Blue)
Offered by ONLY ME
Price: $17.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for kitchen AND yard work..., May 17, 2015
I'm liking these ONLY Cut Resistant Gloves both for kitchen and yard work. I know the description is for the kitchen, but they're more versatile than that.

"Cut Resistant" doesn't mean "cut proof"... if I took my serrated utility knife to the fabric, I *could* cut through it. But if I'm cutting tomatoes or something where my fingers would be at risk of coming into contact with the chopping knife, these provide that extra level of protection so I don't go looking for band-aids. I also like wearing them while I'm doing yard work, as they prevent splinters and blisters when I'm pulling on various weeds and shrubs.

The gloves are extremely comfortable to wear for extended periods, and they offer a lot more flexibility than I have when I'm wearing leather gloves. My hands are a bit on the smaller side, and there's a bit of extra material at the fingertips. But it's pretty minor, and it doesn't get in the way of anything. Clean-up is easy... just toss them into the washing machine, and they come out looking like new.

I'm very glad to have this pair of gloves around the house.

Obtained From: Only