Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Profile for davez > Reviews

Browse

davez's Profile

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

davez RSS Feed (LA, CA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier
Price: $8.95
17 used & new from $8.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely usable, December 29, 2015
Overall it is just barely usable. Things just don't want to stay in place. The head band tends to get loose; I ended up having to tape it down. The visor does not want to stay up; it would keep sliding down until it rests on your forehead. With the batteries for the LEDs, the visor feels heavy. And the head band which is made of hard plastic feels uncomfortable on the head. The extra little magnifier gets loose easily; you have to tighten the screw often. The LEDs get dim fast even before the batteries are drain; I had to add a booster converter. Mine also came with the lens a little cracked on the edge.

Accell J159B-001B SlimPort to HDMI Adapter
Accell J159B-001B SlimPort to HDMI Adapter
Price: $14.99
34 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, December 29, 2015
The connection seemed very flaky. Sometimes It would work for a few minutes then stop working. Sometimes it just wouldn't work at all. It was very frustrating experience. I had to return it.

Update: I was sent a replacement after contacting the vendor. The replacement works well so far. So it could be my bad luck with the first unit or maybe the quality control is sloppy.

ZBook F2P54UT 15.6" LED Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HDD Win7 Pro 64-bit Notebook
Offered by TechWlzards
Price: $1,549.00
11 used & new from $1,200.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible HP product, June 21, 2015
So with many bad experience with HP products, I vowed never to buy an HP product again. I did not buy this computer; I'm using it because it is issued by my company. But I want to get the word out that HP keeps making horrible products.

HP puts the hot CPU exhaust on the left side of the computer. If you use the mouse with the left hand, your hand will be burnt. Many times, I was so focused on doing CAD work, my hand was slowly cooked for a long time and had trouble bending. I've complaint to HP before; the tech support in India told me nothing they could do now, but would consider change next time. Well, they did not.

The so-call smart power adapter continues to give me trouble. If I power up on the battery and plug in the power adapter later, the computer freezes. After I searched on the web, I found that many HP customers complained about the same problem.

In general, there is something wrong with the power management. Many times the laptop could not resume from sleep and had to be forceably powered off. I had to turn off the automatic sleep.

UltraFire New3.7V 14500 1200mAh Rechargable Li-Ion Batteries (4-count)
UltraFire New3.7V 14500 1200mAh Rechargable Li-Ion Batteries (4-count)
Offered by SaturnMarket
Price: $10.83
10 used & new from $7.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Not 1200mAh... authenticity in question, May 20, 2015
They are definitely not 1200mAh because it takes less than 1 hour to charge at 0.5C. Also the single cell weighs about 17g, which is light compared to others, for example another brand with 750mAh weighs 20g. So the authenticity of this product is called into question.

Bolt Power K3 Mini Portable 400 Amp Car Jump Starter Power Bank With 12,000mAh - Emergency Auto Heavy Duty Jump Starter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Top Quality, May 16, 2015
The unit itself looks well made, but the case is of poor quality. While the unit itself is small, the case is a little too large to fit under my car seat. The manual is written in poor English; for $80 per unit, they couldn't afford to hire someone who is fluent at English? The LED light is good, but not too bright, not as bright as my $3 LED flashlight. While it is supposedly 400 Amps, but on the back of the unit, it says 200 Amps; so it makes me a little nervous whether it would really start my my car while I really need it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2015 6:21 PM PDT

The Art of Electronics
The Art of Electronics
by Paul Horowitz
Price: $86.37
79 used & new from $77.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw away the 2nd ed, April 15, 2015
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
I read the 2nd edition from cover to cover in about 10 years. And I just read the 3rd edition in about one week. I used to say everything I knew about electronics I could find in AoE. Now I probably do know a few things that are not covered in the book.

The book cover has been upgraded from silver to flashier gold color. I don't fault them for considering it as the gold standard in books on electronics.

This book deserves a 5 star rating. The true value of the book is that it is not an academic text book. It contains a wealth of practical information, in charts, tables, and graphs, no other books come close. The jewel of the crown is the chapter on precision circuits. The chapter on noise is equally rich.

However, I did not like the elimination of the circuit ideas section and replacing it with a chapter review. Omitting the circuit construction is also a loss because prototyping and making the circuit board are an essential art that separates practitioners from theorists. I also lament the elimination of the chapter on RF. This book constantly refers the reader to the so-far unavailable "The x-Chapters" book; it is somewhat irritating to me that I'll have to get another book.

I wish it had fewer annoying trivial errors (how can you not catch a flipped diode on Fig 1.78?) ; 25 years ought to be enough to get it perfect.

So if you are a newcomer, you could still choose the 2nd edition because you can probably find a bargain now. But I won't let go my 2nd edition.

The new edition is 0.7" wider, 67 pages more with smaller font and narrower margin.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2016 4:18 AM PST

Rankie MHL Micro USB to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter Cable with integrated USB Charging Cable for Smart Phones, 6.5 Feet

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but does not charge, April 11, 2015
It works with Galaxy Tab S. I thought the USB would charge also, but it does not. It might have been my own misunderstanding, but it would be a nice feature to allow charging of the tablet.

The Electronics of Radio
The Electronics of Radio
by David B. Rutledge
Price: $65.37
53 used & new from $25.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to electronics, January 11, 2015
I think it is an excellent introduction to electronics. I wish I had it when I started. The conventional EE course which started with linear circuit theory did not capture students' interest. This book introduces the many EE concepts in a practical way as it builds up a complete system. The style of the prose is less formal (similar to AoE); it tries to explain things and provide answers to questions that a beginner might have.

Canon PowerShot SX160 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera (Old Model) with 16x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD
Offered by NunjaGroup
Price: $269.35
40 used & new from $99.85

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are not looking for great image quality, December 29, 2014
- Inexpensive
- 16x Zoom and image stabilizer
- 2 regular AA batteries
- relatively compact
- CCD, no rolling shutter effect

Dislike
- Slow charging flash
- Image quality is not great
- Video quality is poor
- Low light performance poor

Chicago Power Tools 63558 220-Piece Rotary Tool Set
Chicago Power Tools 63558 220-Piece Rotary Tool Set
Price: $34.74
9 used & new from $33.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Usable, December 21, 2014
It is not great, but usable. If you don't expect too much of it, it actually works OK. It is not high precision, but the power is fine. The case does not close very tight. I got it as a company gift, I shouldn't complain too much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8