Profile for Cork > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cork RSS Feed (Calabasas, CA)

Remington HC5550 Precision Power Haircut & Beard Trimmer, Black
Remington HC5550 Precision Power Haircut & Beard Trimmer, Black
Offered by Excellent Brands
Price: $22.95
8 used & new from $21.46

1.0 out of 5 stars WHatever happened to "Intuitive?", August 31, 2014
I had a Maverick which I used to trim my beard with great success. When it broke after many tears of service I ordered this as a replacement. Apparently Remington has hired a Vice President in Charge of Screwing Things Up as there is virtually nothing I like about this device. Almost nothing is intuitive, and as near a I've been able to adjust the various guides, I am forced to trim my beard either at "longer than I want" or "Did you forget to shave today?"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

Toyota Highlander Replacement Headlight Assembly - 1-Pair
Toyota Highlander Replacement Headlight Assembly - 1-Pair
Offered by Auto Lights & Bulbs
Price: $85.65
4 used & new from $70.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, February 24, 2014
These headlight replacements are perfect. Auto Body shop installed them with no problems. What an affordable and effective replacement auto part.

Twin Size SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector - Vinyl Free
Offered by Everyday Pure
Price: $34.95
21 used & new from $19.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Mattress protector for my Grandson's mattress......, December 31, 2013
Just in case. It arrived super promptly and is exactly what my son requested for my Grandson's Big Boy bed. Thank you.

FitFlop Women's Floretta Thong Sandal
FitFlop Women's Floretta Thong Sandal

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Floretta, October 17, 2012
I am a devoted fan of FitFlops and was excited to see one with a back strap. So far, so good after wearing them for a few days.

Jonathan Edwards
Jonathan Edwards
Price: $9.71
57 used & new from $3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars We Need a CD of His Alive Album, February 17, 2002
This review is from: Jonathan Edwards (Audio CD)
I have an ulterior motive here. This is a fine album, and Jonathan Edwards is on my short list (Brewer & Shipley, Mickey Newberry) of folkie/country singers who never got their due. I'd asked my wife to get me this album for a birthday long ago, and she goofed--bringing home instead a Jonathan Edwards LIVE album, which may or may not have been called "More Orphan Than Not" in honor of his band. I debated returning it unlistened to, because to put the vinyl on the turntable meant it was yours. I resisted. Thank heavens. The album contains all his hits, and is one of the best live albums I've heard--right up there with "Live Rhymin'" The arrangements are tight, the audience into it, but not intrusive, and you can tell that Edwards is no studio creation. There's even a lyrical adjustment to "Sunshine" involving "damn lies" and "Nixon" that gets a laugh. The musicianship is first rate, and there are elements of humor.
Okay, we need this in CD form, as the grooves on the album version were long ago replaced by crackles and hisses. Step up, record company. People will buy it, especially once they've heard a few samples.

Adventures of a No Name Actor
Adventures of a No Name Actor
by Marco Perella
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars What I Really Want to Do is...Audition, July 1, 2001
It's a good thing you've never heard of this guy, because if you had, he'd likely have been too busy working to write about not working. Not that Mario Perella is a slouch exactly. He's done more than most actors--he's earned a living at his craft for quite a few years. But he's no star, and this book has the dried sweat honesty of a solid, successful far-from-famous working actor. The book is full of the hits, the misses, the good luck and bad, the disastrous auditions and the occasional triumphs. It's all very funny, straightforward, and occasionally hilarious. Perella is a better writer than you have any right to expect from an actor, and this definitely doesn't have the smell of a ghostwriten "why I am so great" star trip. One good reason is that Perella couldn't afford a ghost--no multimillion dollar deals for this guy. Of course if he'd every leave his home state of Texas, he might have a better chance at bigger and juicier parts. The one complaint is the book is a bit slight. It can be gobbled down in one easy sitting, including time out for frequent laughter, and a quiet appreciation of the 90% or more actors who struggle to make ends meet. Perella has had a few successes of note--and you may very well recognize the face that's been in oodles of ads and many a movie, good and bad--sometimes for a mere few seconds. He's acted with and been forgotten my some of the greats, and his tales of life on the set are worth the price of the book. Not a scintilla of Hollywood flash and trash here, either. He's happily married and proud of it. You end up with great empathy for Perella--hell, he comes across the kind of guy you'd want to go knock back a few long necks with. So you want to wish him great success in the future. Except... if he keeps getting rejected and keeps getting bit parts and keeps remembering more stories like these, he might do a sequel. And that would be very good news indeed.

Collaboration
Collaboration
18 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Collaboration on CD. At Last!!, June 23, 2001
This review is from: Collaboration (Audio CD)
I first heard the incredible opening solo of "One Note Samba" from "Collaboration" while sitting in the only air conditioned spot (the radio station) at Mactan Air Base, in the Philippines, in 1966. I was completely blown away, bought the album as minute I could find it, and played the grooves off it.
For years I have been searching for the CD to no avail, and rehooking up my changer every so often when I got a Samba Jones and was willing to put up with the pops and hisses of a worn out record.
Now, "Collaboration" is FINALLY available in CD, and it exceeds my memory of its excellence.
This magnificent quartet and virtuoso guitarist blend seamlessly through Samba, fugue, straight ahead jazz, and other examples of the best of both.
With the MJQ tragically decimated, this CD is like a gift from the past, with the excitement and discovery of a new album for those who have come upon their interest in jazz in the post-LP era, or who forgot how good this was when it first came out.
"Collaboration" is a masterpiece. Instantly modern and nostalgic, virtuosity from two seemingly disparate styles blending into one memorable album.
The wait was worth it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 7:44 PM PST