Profile for romevi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 824

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

romevi RSS Feed (Chicago)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LEGO Star Wars Luke's Landspeeder (8092)
LEGO Star Wars Luke's Landspeeder (8092)
Offered by Fins, Paws and Claws
Price: $49.95
103 used & new from $13.80

5.0 out of 5 stars First complete LEGO set for me., April 24, 2015
I mentioned this in a previous review, but I'll say it again: as a kid, I never was into LEGO. The blocky proportions never really did it for me, though the potential was nearly limitless along with the block count. It may be because my parents never bought me any LEGO sets and the few I did have were bits and pieces from older sets, the whole of which amounted to drab designs that could fit completely in the palm of my prepubescent hand.
K'Nex were always my go-to imagination toy; again, it may be because of parents since they *did* buy me two large tubs of them.

Nevertheless, many years later, as I've gotten older and developed a taste for both Star Wars and imagination toys, I decided to check out LEGO's Star Wars line and decided to settle first on Luke's Landspeeder.

The price actually wasn't too high for what I got. I know LEGO can be a bit on the pricier side, especially for licensed products like Star Wars, but I was pleased that I go so many pieces and mini-figures for the price.
The end product turned out great. It was my first real LEGO set that was complete, and now I can't wait to get the next set for myself. I had wanted to get The Ultimate Millennium Falcon, but held off when it was in stock. I, and many others, am kicking myself for it.

Maybe the Death Star is next...

SET Dice Game
SET Dice Game
Price: $15.39
17 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion set to SET., April 20, 2015
This review is from: SET Dice Game (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I love SET. We've been playing it for nearly a decade. Our college buddy introduced a group of us to the game, and, while it took a few games for us to get the hang of it, we were hooked.
When I landed my first job after graduation I would spend my lunch hours eating my meal in front of my computer and play online sessions.

Suffice to say, we like SET in our family. We bring it wherever we go, etc., etc.

When I found out there was a variant I ordered it right away. The dice variation looked fun, and I knew there would be multiple modes of play to allow for an enjoyable game.

The first day it arrived my wife and I took the entire night playing with the dice. There are three modes to the game: there's a board version where you use the included miniature board (the only game which uses it, by the way). We weren't thunderstruck by the game. We were so used to playing with the cards that we found keeping track of points and using the Scrabble-like bonus point feature annoying than enjoyable. It doesn't mean it's bad; it's just not for us.

There's a second game that was much like it, but doesn't use the board.

It's the third version of the game that we liked the most and keep playing to this day. You take ten dice in each hand, throw them into your personal play area, and basically go solo and try to build as many sets as you can. The same concept applies here as in the traditional SET game, except you have no filling. They're all solid. Honestly, I didn't even notice until we played with the cards a couple of weeks later.

You can build set upon set in your crossword-puzzle-like structure until you run out of dice. Whoever finishes first tallies up the remaining dice of the other players' dice and that's their final score.
There are wild sides to the dice but we never use them. As in other games, the wild sides count for any set you want, but you have to remember what you initially used them for when placing them and using them to build upon later.

My wife and I usually play about nine games--best out of three, three times. The only complaint I have after playing this variation is that there aren't enough dice!

We haven't played in about a week, but that's because we've binge-watched Netflix's Daredevil series. Now that we're through we plan on playing some more tomorrow and more nights to come.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Limited-Edition Bundle - Nintendo 3DS
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Limited-Edition Bundle - Nintendo 3DS
81 used & new from $102.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great contents., April 15, 2015
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not usually a statue guy (I prefer articulated figures, if anything), but for $10 more (at the standard MSRP for this set) I figured why not. I wasn't expecting anything in lines of other statue manufacturer (like First 4 Figures), so my expectations were low.

The day of the release finally arrived and I patiently waited for my package to arrive. Upon opening I found that there was no wrapping over it; just a small sticker on the flap to signify that it was brand new.

The box is a standard cardboard box, with the window showing the Skull Kid completely open; there's no clear plastic sheet covering it. The Skull Kid himself resides comfortably between a plastic shell, and opening it I realized that for $10 the statue was manufactured really well. Considering that amiibo go for a few dollars more, the Skull Kid is well worth the price. Is he worth it at the inflated prices third-parties are selling him? Probably not. You're better off getting the game and a higher-quality statue.

Still, again, at the price point it is exceptionally well-made. The game sits in the back of the figure tucked behind another piece of cardboard so it doesn't show behind the Skull Kid through the window. The game itself is sealed, if that matters to anyone.

【New3DS / LL対応】CYBER ・ USB巻き取り充電ケーブル ( 3DS / 3DS LL 用) ブラック
【New3DS / LL対応】CYBER ・ USB巻き取り充電ケーブル ( 3DS / 3DS LL 用) ブラック
Offered by Thanksshop Japan
Price: $17.55
22 used & new from $6.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great USB charging cable on the go., April 14, 2015
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have the 3DS XL's charging cradle at home and the standard charger connected to it. But when I'm on the go I like to keep a spare charger just in case, and the USB version fit perfectly.

This particular one, by Cyber Gadget, is an update to their previous retractable one in that it has a curve reel instead of the straight one from before. There is no button; all you have to do is pull both ends completely before the tug automatically reels the cable back in.
It works great. Used it a few times without any issues.

I don't normally play my 3DS outside my house, but I sometimes bring it with me for StreetPass. As such, sometimes the battery gets really low and I'll need to give it quick charge before returning home. I keep this Cyber Gadget charger in my 3DS case; hardly takes up any room.

Evenflo Titan Convertible Car Seat, Atlantis
Evenflo Titan Convertible Car Seat, Atlantis
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, April 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Car seats are expensive, but this car seat is extremely inexpensive compared to other car seats on the market. The harness takes a bit getting used to and is a little harder to operate than my daughter's other car seat (Graco brand). My daughter is 2.5 years old and enjoys sitting in the car seat. When it arrived in the mail, we placed it on the floor and she sat right inside it. It seems to be relatively comfortable and I'm not worried about it's ability to keep her safe. We are currently using this car seat as a backup car seat when my daughter goes to visit her grandfather. I wouldn't necessarily use this as an every day car seat. I would say this is a great car seat for the amount of money it costs. Personally, I would save up a bit more money and put it towards another car seat that would last a bit longer if I was planning to use it quite frequently, rather than just as a backup.

Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H. Figuarts Guy Manuel De Homem Christo Daft Punk Action Figure
Price: $44.95
64 used & new from $39.11

4.0 out of 5 stars What you see is what you get. Could've been slightly better., April 9, 2015
Having been a fan of Daft Punk since the `90s, I screeched like a little girl when Bandai released their teaser pic of the Figuarts Daft Punk figures. At first I thought it would be released in a new line, like SH MusicArts or something, since Figuarts were exclusive to anime and such prior to the French duo release. But the figures use the same tooling and engineering behind the Figuarts line so in that class they stayed.

The more and more info we got the more and more I grew excited, but also hesitant. We found out that, while these are the most amazing figures we'll get in the 1:12 scale, there could've been improvements to them that we held on to until release. Sadly, these improvements weren't realized when we got them.

What you see is what you get in terms of the basics. You get some pairs of hands, but that's about it. No light-up gimmicks, no stage parts (even as a first-release bonus), nothing else. Just each member of Daft Punk as they appeared in the mid-2000s.

So on to the actual figure.

He stands somewhat shorter than Thomas, but not by much. A shame as I wanted them to be scaled as they are in real life, but maybe Guy-Man really isn't that much shorter than Thomas. I've never met them so I have no idea.

The helmet, as mentioned, doesn't light up, even though the helmet it replicates didn't light up as much as, say, the Discovery-era helmets, but it would've been nice, even if we had some films to insert to replicate a light-up gimmick. You can see the molding inside the black cover of the individual light bulbs, which itself is a grand detail.

The gloves (or hands) are the same between Guy-Man and Thomas, albeit for the color of the tops. Thomas has silver, Guy-Man has gold. They're identical in form and size, however.

The body is identical too, except that Guy-Man has *slightly* shorter legs. Other than that you're buying two identical figures, the only main differences being the heads. The hands are the same but in different paint applications, and the legs are slightly longer with Thomas, but not by much.

It's a shame Bandai didn't release it as a set instead of two individual figures. Some stores offer them combined with a slightly smaller price tag, but I really would've liked getting them both in a special box packaging, even if it was a limited run.
I know Bandai releases sets for some of the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider figures, so that would've been greatly appreciated had that concept been carried over to DP.

Still, they're wonderful figures I had been dreaming of for years. They use my favorite Daft Punk attire and are in exquisite 1/12 scale. Some may think they're a bit pricey, but the price-point is common for the SH Figuarts figures. That said, considering how barebones they are they could've done better with a slightly smaller price tag, or even a dual set to save on packaging and overall cost. There are some Super Sentai figures that cost cheaper and come with more accessories.

C'est la vie. (Get it? It's French.)

Prime Instant Video
Prime Instant Video
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The only way to get Instant Video. Cumbersome if you don't have the Amazon App store installed., April 2, 2015
This review is from: Prime Instant Video (App)
My wife and I have Prime and for the few shows we watch on Instant Video we download the apps on whatever devices we can. Our primary device is the PS3 but for the times I'm at work on lunch or whenever and need to watch it on a portable, my iPhone served well.

I recently switched to Android and Instant Video was one of the initial apps I searched to download. Unfortunately it's not in the regular Google Play Store but instead only through Amazon's App store. I wouldn't consider it strange that Amazon withheld it, but I consider it strange that they decided to withhold this particular app exclusively for their own store and decided to go ahead and release their other apps for the Play Store.

I was hesitant at first because of the work-around but I downloaded it eventually and decided to keep it for the free daily apps.

You have to keep the App store app installed for the Instant Video app to work properly. The first time I installed it I immediately uninstalled the Amazon App Store app, tried going back to Instant Video, but it said it needed the other app to function properly. A nasty inconvenience for those who'd rather not have it, but not so much of a bother for me anymore.

Circle Pad Cover - Nintendo (3DS LL/3DS) Black Accessory Japan Inport
Circle Pad Cover - Nintendo (3DS LL/3DS) Black Accessory Japan Inport
Offered by FUTURES MART
Price: $8.85
67 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes gaming on the go more pleasurable., March 30, 2015
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When the 3DS XL Zelda edition was announced, I knew that that was when I'd finally plunge into the wonderful world of 3DSes. The whole design was done wonderfully, but there were a couple changes I wanted to make to the color scheme to make it perfect. One was making the inside top bezel black--this way to help view the screen better--so I got a decal for that. The other was to make the circle pad black. This way all buttons would be the same color scheme.
That's where this Cyber Gadget set came in.

Like most adult gamers, I like to accessorize my consoles and handhelds. And, like most adult gamers, anything to make holding a handheld (especially Nintendo's) more comfortable is a try for me. With my budget, I ordered Cyber Gadget's grip and circle/slide pad covers. I love the grip, though it's not absolutely perfect since the shoulder buttons are a bit harder to reach with it on. As for these pad covers: they're wonderful.

In some other gaming sites, I read that these tend to slide off. Not for me. Only once did one slide off during a gaming session (Mario Kart 7), but I realized that's because I didn't press it on all the way. You can tell a cover's snugly on by checking the rim and seeing if it's even all the way around. I thought I'd want to use only one of the six grips (the one that mimics the gray joystick on the GameCube controller), but I found myself enthusiastically enjoying all six designs. Well, almost all six; there's one that has no molding whatsoever, and looks just like an amplified circle pad. It's not bad; it's just not as good as the other ones.

You get six different covers and a keychain that holds two on either side. It's designed to wrap around the wrist strap slot on the 3DS.
I'd list the designs you get, but they're hard for me to describe and you can easily tell which designs they are by just looking at the picture. They're made of a soft plastic, but they're not soft enough to bend. It's more like the same material on Cyber Gadget's rubberized grip.

They're easy to pop on and pop off, as I do every time I use my 3DS. I can't play games without the covers now.
You can leave one on and close the lid, but the covers do protrude that side of the lid a bit, so I wouldn't risk putting stress on the hinge.

Are they worth it? Yes, but I've seen these go from $10 to $30. The max I'd say would be $20, but that all depends on how much you want them. Oh, and do be sure you get the right kind if you have a regular 3DS or XL. Cyber Gadget makes sets for both since the lip around the circle/slide pad is a bit different on both systems. If you own an XL, be sure it has "LL" on the top right of the package (since LL is the Japanese title for XL), otherwise the set will fit on the regular 3DS only.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up to 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-032G-G4A [Newest Version]
Price: $16.19
74 used & new from $8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for SanDisk Clip Zip then for Samsung Galaxy S5. No problems whatsoever., March 17, 2015
I prefer SanDisk for all my memory card options (except for Sony; curse you "Universal" memory stick format). I'm not trying to advertise SanDisk; it's just that out of all the different brands I've used SanDisk is the only one that's never gone out on me. Whether I buy them from Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, or Craigslist, SanDisk memory cards simply work.

I initially used this specific card to hold games in my portable gaming device, but when I ran out of room I upgraded the card and transferred this to my Clip Zip. Worked flawlessly for my music, but, naturally, I ran out of room again and had to upgrade. So now it's being used in my new S5 and I've yet to have any issues.

All of my SD-card-capable apps are now in the SanDisk card. I experienced two noticeable slow-downs which I perceive to be because of this memory swap, but other than that I can't tell a difference.

Very nice.

Herbal Essences  Wild Naturals Illuminating Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Herbal Essences Wild Naturals Illuminating Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Offered by North Island
Price: $4.95
6 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent conditioner, March 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used several Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners in the past and have enjoyed their smell. This conditioner isn't any different. It smells great! I have fairly short and thin hair. I don't usually use much conditioner and even a little bit of conditioner usually leaves my hair feeling smooth. This conditioner, like other conditioners I have used, left my hair feeling smooth. This particular conditioner left my hair smelling great too! I would say it's comparable to the other Herbal Essences conditioners on the market. It's an average conditioner and doesn't necessarily produce different results than other conditioners (e.g. Tresemme, Pantene, etc).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20