Profile for romevi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 853

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

romevi RSS Feed (Chicago)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Musical Dancing Palace Gift Set
Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Musical Dancing Palace Gift Set
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for old men!, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "old man" being me. I got this for my toddler daughter who has various other Little People sets. She has a chariot set that has a lot of similarities to this, and even came with blocks, so this matches perfectly with that.

Putting it together for her was a cinch. Of course, which father doesn't like seeing their daughter's faces light up when they receive a gift? (Don't worry; it's not a regular thing so we don't spoil her.)

But we had a blast playing with this set, and I tried recreating scenes from Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. I would've loved to have a Beast figure in his cursed form, but that probably wouldn't have fit this set very well.

Overall, it's great, as are all Little People sets. We have a dedicated bin where we keep Little People and Duplo toys, and this mixes well with those.

10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests Volume V: PrepTests 62 through 71
10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests Volume V: PrepTests 62 through 71
by Law School Admission Council
Price: $25.44
79 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The official LSAT tests. What else?, July 24, 2015
You get ten LSATs to work with, which is crucial before taking the one on which you will be graded. Interestingly, I found these questions to be a bit more challenging than the one offered in my guide book, even though my guide book used official questions.
Perhaps because I was under time constraints when taking the practice tests.

XEN-TAN Fresh Tanning Mousse, 8 fl. oz.
XEN-TAN Fresh Tanning Mousse, 8 fl. oz.
Price: $48.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Some negatives, but will definitely use again, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am extremely pale and do not tan naturally. I was curious to see if this product would appear orange on my fair skin. I used it shortly after showering. Keep in mind you can't shower for at least three hours after applying the product. I used the product on my arms, shoulders, back, legs, and feet. I didn't use it on my face. The mitt is essential to using this product effectively. If I didn't have the mitt, I would be worried that the tanning solution would remain on my hands, even after washing. It makes the application process so much easier. I would definitely recommend doing one application at a time. Keep in mind that it will take a little bit of time for the color to show. One of the drawbacks to this product is that you cannot see where you are putting the mousse when you apply it. This can make it difficult to know where you placed the product and where you did not. Once the product dried and started to show, I found that I missed several spots, which looked awkward since I am so pale. It has a strong scent, which I didn't like, but my husband liked it so I guess it is based on your personal preference. I did notice that, as the product faded, my skin appeared blotchy on my legs. This might be a result of my somewhat dry skin, but keep that in mind when applying the product. Doing one application, the color is very subtle, so you might want to do several applications. Also, be cautious around your ankles, knees, and elbows as I found they soaked in more of the product and ended up being much darker than my legs or arms. This is really where the lack of tint in the product becomes a real problem. Overall, this is a nice product and I will use it again. It did not look very orange when I applied it, which is reassuring coming from someone who is very pale. I wouldn't use it for a special occasion like a wedding, but I would use it for date night.

Adonit Jot Script 2 - Evernote Edition Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone
Price: $74.99
4 used & new from $74.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great with my Galaxy S5; not so great with my iPad 2., July 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The only other stylus for touchscreens I've owned was a $10, so that's the only basis I can go off of. I've been wanting to own a "premium" stylus with more accuracy, so I was pretty giddy when this came in the mail.

The first thing I tried it on was my Galaxy S5. I know this stylus is touted for the iOS devices, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. The phone wouldn't recognize the pen, so I enabled Touch Sensitivity and sure enough the stylus worked like any other stylus.

Next, I tried it on my iPad 2. I turned on Bluetooth, but the iPad won't detect the stylus. I followed the instructions to the dot, but I'm not sure what the issue is. It could be the stylus, it could be the iPad; I'm guessing it may be my iPad. I'm going to keep trying.

Nevertheless, I downloaded two free apps to try it out. Photoshop was one of them as I like to have a doodle app to fiddle with. There was a slight split-second delay between my drawing and when the iPad registered it. That, and the line on the iPad was slightly lower. I'm guessing that once I connect the Bluetooth properly it may be better, but that's what I'm stuck with for now.

Immediately after that, I tried it on my S5 again. It worked flawlessly, and I didn't have to turn on Touch Sensitivities. I should note that I have a glass screen protector on my S5 and a plastic one (Otterbox) on my iPad. Not sure whether they make a difference, but it seems important to point that out.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the stylus, but considering the price range I can't recommend it. The tip doesn't stay firm. It slides in a little bit when you press against the screen, though that could be how more accurate styli are. That, and the features the stylus promotes (app connectivity, Evernote, Bluetooth) don't work for me as well as they should, if at all.

The LSAT Trainer: A remarkable self-study guide for the self-driven student
The LSAT Trainer: A remarkable self-study guide for the self-driven student
by Mike Kim
Price: $41.08
53 used & new from $32.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me bump my score a bit., July 21, 2015
I have the previous edition of this but I'm sure the same applies. My assumption is that it's been updated to reflect more recent LSAT tests.

I've taken the LSAT before using this book. I'm not going to disclose my score, but I will say it wasn't pretty.
I spent three months studying this book, and paced myself accordingly with Kim's guidelines.

The book was extremely helpful and extremely easy to use. I should note that, while I saw progress in my performance using the actual LSAT questions Kim provided, I noticed that when I took the practice tests provided in the LSAT books (which were actual previous exams), I didn't see a huge improvement.

Sure enough, my final score on the LSAT was around the range I was getting in practice tests. I'm not a very good standardized test-taker. I'm awful. But, that said, Kim's book did help me bump up a few points. And when I emailed him about questions I had he was quick to respond and very helpful.

Zak! Designs HydraTrak Insulated Tumbler with Straw, Water Intake Calculator, BPA-free Plastic, 20 oz., Clear
Price: $17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful., July 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't drink as much water as I should so this is pretty useful for me. Before, I used to drink about one of these cups' sizes of water a day, but now I've reached up to four bands in a day!

The bands seem tight and sturdy for now, but I don't think they'll last years to come. It might seem expensive for the price, but the rest of the cup is well made and really strong.

The straw has a bit more weakness to it than other straws. My daughter and I use this cup and already I see some bite marks.

Other than that, it's a great way to track your water intake if you have trouble doing so like me.

Vysk EP1 Privacy Charging Case for iPhone 6 - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $119.99
8 used & new from $67.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Two-foot drop renders it useless. Too expense for what it is., July 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I had an iPhone 5 I had a Belkin battery case that worked great. Sure, the battery life lost its longevity over time, but I never had an issue with it breaking or damaging my iPhone. When I upgraded to an iPhone 6 I knew I had to get a battery case because there was no way I was going to live without one!

I was offered a chance to get this and didn't hesitate.

When it arrived I immediately loved the way it felt. I'm not sure what the material is, but it has a soft feel to it that makes it easy to grip. There are patterns on the back that run diagonal that also aid to its usability.
I initially found the "security" features to be a bit cheesy, but then grew to like them over time. The physical security features are basically just a slider to cover the two cameras. At first I though it unnecessary, but then I realized I often slid the the cover over the compartments when my daughter had my phone. Then I didn't have to worry about her taking pictures with them on.

To utilize the main feature of this case, however, you have to slide another lever at the bottom half which holds the battery. The logo of the company indicates the battery life, and by sliding the switch you charge your phone. There's a recessed button to the left of the logo which indicates how much battery life is left in the case itself.

However, after a small incident the case was rendered useless.
I knew the materials used for the switches felt a bit cheap when I used them but I didn't think much of them because they worked. But yesterday I accidentally dropped the phone from my pocket as I grabbed it; I was in my bathroom so it fell on a soft floor. I'm not a very tall person, so I'd say the drop distance was about 2-3 feet max. When I picked up my phone I found a crack on my phone's screen. Initially I was panicked but then realized that it was of the glass screen protector, which easily can be replaced.
Later in the day, after putting my phone on silent, I heard the phone go off during a conversation. I thought it odd and switched it off again. That's when I realized that the switch to put the phone on silent had broken. I had to force it to turn the phone on and off silent.

Then, when I was back home and wanted to charge the battery using the case, I realized that the battery slider had broken. Earlier I indicated that, in order to charge the phone by the case, you had to switch a slider at the bottom. Well, that slider slides no more. I tried forcing it to the charge side and it won't budge, not even a smidgen.

I'm pretty bummed. Not only did the case not protect my phone from a small fall, but the case itself broke in several places. There was also a small crack in the case near the top. All of that from a short fall onto my bathroom floor.

The only major gripe I had before this incident was that the case often came apart. It attaches onto the phone in two pieces, and because I wear somewhat fitted jeans the case usually came apart in my hand when taking out the phone from my pocket. It wasn't a deal-breaker more than it was an inconvenience, but now after yesterday I have many gripes about the phone.

I miss my Belkin case from my old phone. Sure, it wasn't the best case I've ever used but at least it prevented my phone from damage from the three small drops I've caused it in two years, all the while keeping a charge over 70%. And it was $40 cheaper than this model, and that's considering I first received the Belkin case two years ago.

I'll update this review as time goes on.

***UPDATE 7/21/15***
I had contacted the company immediately after this review, and they responded the next day. They indicated that they had worked on an update to the case and will send me a replacement. That was over a week ago and I haven't heard back, let alone received the replacement. I contacted them again yesterday to follow up. I will keep this review updated.

Apples to Apples 15th Appleversary  Edition
Apples to Apples 15th Appleversary Edition
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loads of fun. Updated, though muted colors confuse at first., July 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had Apples to Apples Party Edition for years. It's a great go-to party game for a group no more than 10 large, and it's a great addition to anyone's gaming library.

I'm a sucker for anniversary editions, so of course I picked up the 15th Anniversary Edition of Apples to Apples when I had a chance. Heck, I didn't even know it was that old until I saw this on Amazon!

While I have the Party Edition which has *way* more cards than this, that edition is half a decade old and so some of the references show age. This anniversary edition has updated terms and phrases as of 2015, so it's a bit funnier if you're playing with younger people.
The cards from the standard edition I think are a bit easier to work with. When we played with the anniversary set some people were mixed at times when grabbing the appropriate cards, as they're both monochrome except reverted instead of the red and green cards. The tokens, however, are a much welcome addition as they make it easier to tally the scores.

If you had to get a quick pick-me-up set and don't care about reusing the same cards quickly, then this set is a great buy. It has modern terms and phrases, is very sleek in its nice black box, and makes it easier to keep track of score. But really, the most fun in playing this game is coming up with absurd card mixes!

S.H.Figuarts : Unofficial Sentai Akiba Ranger Deryu Knight
S.H.Figuarts : Unofficial Sentai Akiba Ranger Deryu Knight
Offered by Best Ever JAPAN
Price: $38.58
49 used & new from $38.12

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Figuarts, even if it's not a beloved character., July 8, 2015
When Bandai revealed this character I had no idea who he was. I never watched Akiba Ranger, but I knew I had to get my grubby little collector hands on the figure. Why? Because it was a cool-looking knight in my favorite color scheme (blue and black). The silver, yellow, and purple accents only added to the charming aesthetic.

By the time it arrived I already had watched both seasons of Akiba Ranger so was well versed with the character.
He's got the standard SH Figuarts mobility, as well as hinged shoulder armor to allow for fuller arm movement. He comes with an extra set of hands, an extra chest piece (a feature from the show), and his sweet blue, semi-translucent sword. I'm glad Bandai decided to stick with the season 1 version of this character as season 2 has some slight variations of which I'm not a fan.

It's a character with amazing costume design which I wish we'd see more of. Sadly, there are only two seasons of Akiba Ranger and, while Delu Knight certainly is a recurring villain, he's not as famous as other Akiba Ranger characters, let alone amongst Sentai overall.

Still, I love the figure a lot and I'm constantly keeping him on display no matter what my rotation of the month is.

Swiffer Wetjet Floor Mop Starter Kit
Swiffer Wetjet Floor Mop Starter Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent mop. Sexist advertising., July 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The kit came in a box that was just under two feet (guesstimate). The pole was segmented into two, but there's a cable running through both so they're not completely separated. The reason is that it's an electric Swiffer mop which relies on four AA batteries (not included). The pole attaches to the base of the mop which supports the cleaning fluid (one bottle is included) and the mop at the bottom. The pole slides in easily enough, though I found it to be a tad short to move around with comfortably.

The batteries go into the purple base, and there's a button at the handle which squirts out the fluid. From using it I found that the fluid squirts out about half a foot (another guesstimate), and there are two ducts on either side of the mop foot which shoot out the cleaning juice.
We have about two other Swiffers from hand-me-downs, and what I like more about this Swiffer is that the cleaning pads use Velcro to attach to the bottom. No more pinching the pads to the top of the foot, at least not on this model. (Not sure if that's true on all current Swiffer models.) So far in the few times I've used this the pads hadn't come loose at all.

The ducts are pretty tiny so I'm not sure if they easily can be clogged, but so far that hasn't happened to us.
The times that I have used this, however, the compartment for the batteries has come loose a few times whenever I hit it against furniture I'm trying to clean under. I don't realize it at first until I try to squirt more fluid and none comes out since the battery compartment came loose. The compartment could use a stronger clip.

The foot doesn't maneuver as widely as our previous Swiffer sweeper-mops, but that may be a design utilization as this kit has electronics.

What really irked me is when I read the instructions and found a woman using the mop. We own a few Swiffer mops and steam mops, and in all the advertising I've seen, if there's a human model in the instructions, it's always a woman presenting the product. Umm...excuse me? What about men? We clean too, you know.
My wife is in charge of the food whereas I'm in charge of cleaning and the laundry. A fair trade-off, I believe, and I'd love to see more men in cleaning advertisements and manuals.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20