Profile for I. Gross Georg > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 200

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I. Gross Georg "imgeorg" RSS Feed (Edmond, Oklahoma USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Presto 05471 1000-Watt 1-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Deep Fryer
Presto 05471 1000-Watt 1-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Deep Fryer
Offered by GablesGator92
Price: $29.23
16 used & new from $29.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right for what I like to eat., January 8, 2014
All my life I've done my deep frying out of a Dutch oven or a cast iron skillet, and of course the problem with that is you can't regulate the temperature. Too hot and the oil burns, and depending on what you are cooking the food is either overcooked or undercooked. Now that I have this, though, no more smoking oil, no more manipulating stove controls to cool down or warm up the pan. It's great to have an appliance specifically designed to fry food at the right temperature. I can leave it for an hour...and have...and I don't have to worry about it smoking.

The reason I chose this is because it had a temperature gauge and a lid that could be used while frying to minimize oil spatter. I just wanted that flexibility. To be totally honest, though, I think the temperature gauge is a bit of a gimmick. It goes from 225 to 390, and there is absolutely nothing that you can deep fry in a temperature as low as 225, and even the manual reflects this in the temperatures it recommends to cook certain foods. Any good cook knows that optimal frying temperature is 375 degrees. Personally I use 350 for chicken so the batter doesn't cook faster than the meat, and I use 390 for just about everything else. The oil needs about 15-20 minutes to heat up to those higher temps; I just do my food prep in the meantime and that time goes quickly. I use blended canola.

The red indicator light is simply to tell you the unit is on. If you've used the right kind you aren't going to have smoking oil. Obviously it's hot, so don't touch the stainless steel outer shell. The inside is anodized aluminum, which I can only assume means you don't have to worry about the aluminum that may leach into the oil. The only way to turn the fryer off is to unplug the breakaway magnetic plug, which I find plenty long enough for my use. I sit the fryer on the stovetop, angled such a way that I can't tip it, and the plug is probably a foot and a half long which is plenty long enough to reach the plug in my kitchen. The manual warns against using an extension cord with this deep fryer.

Cleaning is easy for me. I wait until the oil is cool, pour it out in a container that can hold 4 cups of it, swish some soapy water (Dawn is good) inside, wash the thing with a rag, pour dirty water out, repeat until clean, wipe out with paper towel, done.

All in all, I'd say that for me this was a good purchase. In the 5 days I've had this appliance, I've cooked battered fried chicken, fried eggplant, fried zucchini, fried okra, fried mozzarella and fish sticks. It's a new experience, but I've done my research and am positive this is the right fryer for my needs. I don't regret never having to wipe grease spatter again, or worry about grease fires, and I can have all the fried okra I want and eat it like popcorn. Yum.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 11:35 AM PST

Dancing With the Stars: Cardio Dance for Weight Loss
Dancing With the Stars: Cardio Dance for Weight Loss
DVD ~ Kym Johnson
Offered by kylakins
Price: $8.39
42 used & new from $3.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners? Not THIS beginner, January 12, 2013
I'm renting this video from the library. On the box it says in a blurb: "Perfect for beginners! No Partner Needed!" Well, after watching the warm-up I quickly realized I don't have the balance, coordination, and stamina for the pace they work these three dances: samba, salsa, and swing. I'm 52 yrs old, over 200 lbs, and definitely a beginner. I need to work up to such exertion. All three dances feature people in the background, but all of them are younger and look like they've had some dance training already.

For this to have worked for me, they would have needed to start out with the music about half the tempo it is, do a segment each per dance at that tempo until I got my body used to making those moves; THEN do a separate segment per dance at the advanced level. Because I'm doing well enough worrying about what my feet are doing without trying to figure out how to make my hips do a figure 8. Sheesh. So I'm turning this video back in very glad I didn't buy it. I hope this is helpful to someone as far as what to expect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 9:06 AM PDT

Chicken of The Sea Jack Mackerel Sea Food, 15 oz Cans 12-count
Chicken of The Sea Jack Mackerel Sea Food, 15 oz Cans 12-count
Price: $29.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy - taste like sardines, April 27, 2012
Jack Mackerels are like big herrings, better known as sardines. They are headless and tailless, and they measure about the length of the can (perhaps by design).

I saw a review in the listing for the Chicken of the Sea, Mackerel, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24) that said something like they were God-awful or whatever. That's obviously a subjective POV, but I personally couldn't disagree more. THEY'RE SARDINES. Someone was bound and determined to get people not to eat these fish for whatever agenda. Personally I don't distinguish them taste-wise FROM sardines or herrings; they're just about twice or 3x the size. If you like sardines, you'll like jack mackerel.

How to fix them? I like to open the can and dump them into a colander to drain away the salt brine they are preserved in. I do that with any canned good. Once out of the can, I like to bone them and put them in containers such as GladWare Deep Dish Containers with Lids, 8 Cups (64 oz) 3 containers and put them in the fridge; I can make one can last a long while that way. The bones are edible, like those of other sardines; I just prefer not to eat them. If you need the calcium, though, that's a great natural source. Anyway, whenever I'm ready to use them, I can eat them as is, maybe warm one or two up in a pan. They're not at all salty. Sometimes I make a mackerel fried rice that's delicious too, with mushrooms, green peas, rice, then add one or two filets of mackerel. People have even made salmon croquettes except of course substituting with mackerel meat.

Pick them up in your bare hand, and you see they have some heft to them. In fact, feeling how heavy they are in my hand makes me a little sad that they were once living creatures, but like all of us they were put on earth to serve a purpose. They come individually in a 15 oz or 425g can. Serving size is 1/3 cup - which is a dumb measurement. I'll say one mackerel is a serving. It says there are about 5 servings per can, and there are 5 fish in the can, so do the math. One serving is 80 calories, has 280 mg sodium, 12g protein, 40 mg cholesterol, & 3g total fat. A serving also has 25% daily requirement for calcium. So that's not bad really for one small fish!

I know it's probably easier to find Chicken of the Sea brand products in the store than the other brands, at least in my part of the world, so if you've ever been curious about this inexpensive canned fish that's usually found with the sardines and canned salmon, go ahead and give it a try. People are feeding their pets with this, but trust me, it's perfectly fine for human consumption. Enjoy them, and I hope I've helped you make a decision that works for you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2013 12:01 PM PDT

Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone
Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone
Price: $113.64
6 used & new from $60.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in their fragility, April 25, 2012
I hate that I've had to return these headphones to Koss three times in two years because of the right side hinge breaking all the time. These headphones cost too much for that. No warranty in the world is worth shoddy craftsmanship. I'm disappointed in them because I use them for my television watching and they have a wonderful long coiled cord and great sound. I just wish they were tougher. I'm sending them back one last time to get replaced, then I'm putting them up for sale.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2012 1:30 PM PDT

Leslie Sansone: Walk at Home - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk
Leslie Sansone: Walk at Home - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk
DVD ~ Leslie Sansone
Price: $8.95
58 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful With The Sound, April 25, 2012
I have this video at home. The price on Amazon right now is less than I paid by a little bit. A bargain either way. I have rented Leslie's videos from the library before and enjoyed them so much I wanted one of my own, and I chose this one. It's faster-paced than her usual videos, and like others have stated there is no warm-up. You jump right into mile 1 with an elevated pace, but it doesn't kill you. The main problem I have is that they didn't normalize the sound on the part of the DVD that shows the chapters, which you see when you first pop the DVD in. The Jazz intro, while very pleasant, is way louder than any of the exercise or interview segments. This is problematic if you're like me and live in an apartment because if you are inclined to let the DVD play through to past the cool down segment it blasts the neighbors! Seriously, they could have taken the time before publishing it to normalize the sound. That's what they pay sound engineers to do on a professional recording. It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance to me, nonetheless. Maybe the music is designed to wake you up once the workout is over, but it really kind of makes me jump out of my skin every time, and I've had this DVD a couple of months now. A workaround is to cut the sound altogether and use your own iPod music. Put together a playlist of about the same pace and just go by the visuals.

They didn't include the breakfast segment on this one like they did on another video of hers that I like; instead, there is an interview with one of her walkers that lost an impressive 100 pounds on Leslie's walking program. Walkers are a diverse mix (gender, age, race), however I found it a little amusing that one of the women who Leslie said was a veteran walker didn't seem to benefit much from the program (she's a tad chubby), but it's cool, she kept up with the rest of them all right and I'm glad Leslie had all body types out there walking. I personally, when I'm doing the exercises, don't pay attention to what the group behind the instructor is doing anyway, just because the instructor is running the class & directing the movement, not the people behind.

I also have yet to actually do the entire 5 miles at once. You can choose which mile you want to do depending on how you feel and what you have time for. The important thing is to do something every day. I personally like the last mile, and occasionally the last two miles, just because you do get the cool down if you let them play through that way. Interestingly, I can never walk at the pace Leslie has us doing when I'm out at the park on an actual walking trail. Perhaps marching in place uses another set of muscles. All in all though, I figured for the low price it wouldn't hurt to invest in myself rather than renting/borrowing videos all the time, and Leslie's videos don't leave you in pain by the end of them, unlike some others. Give me Leslie Sansone over Jillian Michaels anyday. That's just me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 8:29 PM PDT

Nature Made Flaxseed Oil 1000mg, 100 Softgels
Nature Made Flaxseed Oil 1000mg, 100 Softgels
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $7.63
19 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious Laxative, March 7, 2012
I took this product for two weeks and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was getting constant flatulence and diarrhea. That's when a Google search told me that the flaxseed oil is a laxative, and some people may even be allergic to it, which causes evacuation. Wonderful! I had bought it because I wanted the Alpha Linolenic acid in it for my diabetes. Turns out maybe I was looking for the wrong acid there too. I think what I need is alpha lipoic acid, not alpha lipolenic acid. I already eat salmon and olive oil, so it's not as if I were looking for a source of omega 3 and omega 6. So, live and learn. I don't think I'll be using flaxseed in any form anymore, unless I get a serious blockage! When this flaxseed oil is completely out of my system, things should be back to normal. I hope that my little adventure helps somebody.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2013 2:29 PM PST

Sondheim on Music: Minor Details and Major Decisions
Sondheim on Music: Minor Details and Major Decisions
by Mark Eden Horowitz
Price: $47.23
38 used & new from $41.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware - not the same as the 1st Edition, February 22, 2011
If you are buying this book secondhand, as I am, please note that there is more to this 2nd edition than just a cover art change. This is not a reprint! There is new material in this edition not included in the first one, an entirely new interview, and a refreshed discography, so to speak. I thought I should mention this because 1) I happened to use Amazon's Look Inside feature and read the introduction to the 2nd edition and found this out, and 2) Amazon is using reviews for the 1st edition as if they were for the 2nd edition, which they clearly are not and shouldn't do because they are practically two different books. Please use the Look Inside to read the author's intro and note the changes. The new Sondheim interview included in this book happened in 2009. The first edition of this book came out in 2002! Thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 8:30 PM PDT

Apple AirPort Express with Air Tunes M9470LL/A
Apple AirPort Express with Air Tunes M9470LL/A
Offered by Electronics Prime LLC
Price: $98.49
16 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't pay too much for this - go to the source!, February 22, 2011
Two things come to mind when I see the reviews for the AirPort Express. One, it's a breeze to set up IF you already have Apple products. It's kind of amusing to see Windows people having such a hard time with it. I also want to share that if you're like me and am going wireless for the first time, you don't have to have either Bluetooth or an AirPort card installed in order to use AirPort Express. And the other thing that came to mind is that they are charging entirely too much money for this product here at Amazon. In 2011 it's still less than a hundred and they ship it to you for free if you go straight to the Apple store. Probably less if you find a refurbished one.

The Republic of Tea, Pineapple Ginger Green Tea, 50-Count
The Republic of Tea, Pineapple Ginger Green Tea, 50-Count
Offered by The Republic of Tea
Price: $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of ginger bite, December 14, 2010
Let me first say that this is a delicious tea. My problem is that the ginger in it isn't a strong one, and I feel a tea with Ginger in the title should at least taste like it more.

I had the choice of buying either the Republic of Tea's Orange Spice for a few cents more than this flavor. The Orange Spice was an herbal tea listed as a digestion aid, while the Pineapple Ginger is a daily green tea. I'm disappointed in this flavor. I wanted a tea like Stash's Lemon Ginger, that really gives you good strong ginger taste. The reason I bought the ROT Pineapple Ginger is because I was driving all around town and couldn't find the Stash. Took a chance on it, because I usually like Republic of Tea's products, even though they're pricey.

Well, I'll keep it because green tea is good for me, but I guess I'll just have to find the Stash Lemon Ginger online. Would the Orange Spice have been more satisfying to me? Don't know. Expensive lesson on this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 8:32 PM PDT

Invincible
Invincible
Price: $6.99
189 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Only in America was this album ignored, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
Michael had a lot to beef about when it came to the promotion of this album in America when it was released. Worldwide, Invincible sold 9 million copies before Michael Jackson's death in summer of 2009. That's respectable. To call this album a failure by those standards is being a bit shallow. No album will ever make Thriller's numbers of 125 million sold before Michael's death. Of course, now that Michael is gone, people are suddenly taking interest in this, the last Michael Jackson album. That's too bad. There's no reason why anyone over the age of 18 who enjoyed Michael's music back in 2001 and 2002 shouldn't have made this album an instant classic. The CD even came in four different colors. (I have silver.) The internet was indeed around in 2001, as was the iPod, so I believe that there was so much "baggage" associated with Michael Jackson in this country that radio stations - which were still important back then - were reticent about playing songs from Invincible. A couple, like You Rock My World, did well in spite of everything, but in the end it's not a wonder Michael embraced Europe as they embraced him, and chose London as the location for his final concerts. It really is America's loss. Those who have discovered Michael's work after his death are treated with, well, genius. Invincible doesn't have the anger of the HIStory recording, but I was amazed to see one reviewer state that Invincible was too long! Too long for what?! A CD holds 80 minutes of music, and Michael was generous and mindful enough of his fans as consumers to give people their money's worth unlike the vast majority of artists of his time and even today. EVERY artist should be putting 70 minutes of GOOD material on their albums! Michael threw away at least 50 songs before putting the 15 songs he thought were the best on here. Who else does that? 2000 Watts would be worth the original purchase price alone (rest assured it did not sell for the current price back in the day). Michael was only half done when he was taken to Glory, it's an honor to possess in my CD and download collection one of his best as a mature recording artist. What a loss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 8:33 PM PDT