Profile for Adam M. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adam M. Smith RSS Feed (Madison, Wisconsin United States)

Unbreakable Bond (Jamie Bond Mysteries Book 1)
Unbreakable Bond (Jamie Bond Mysteries Book 1)
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbearable Bond, April 28, 2014
I decided to give this book a shot based on the rather high average review score, with the general consensus being it was a quick, fun read.

It is a very short book, but I found it to be a slog. The main hook of the book to try to differentiate it from the crowd is the premise of the crime solver being a model turned P.I. Jamie Bond runs her own Private Investigation firm and employs three other model turned P.I.s who all turn out to be one dimensional and identical.

The plot moves around a lot, but never seems to get anywhere. When the killer is revealed there is no surprise, and all of the absurd events that led up to it become laughable when you realize that an hour of police work would have solved the case.

The book is written well enough that I gave it 2 stars, but can't recommend it to anyone. In a genre with so many choices, making the main character a giggling model isn't enough to carry an exceptionally bland plot.

Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. Wireless)
Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. Wireless)
11 used & new from $51.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Changer, February 27, 2009
I'm not going to go through all of the pluses and minuses of the Kindle 2, there are plenty of reviews that have done that. I am simply going to let you know that if you love to read, you need a Kindle.

I had the original Kindle and it changed my life. It rekindled my passion for reading, and opened me to a world of new authors and genres that I simply never would have found at the local bookstores. When the Kindle 2 was announced I immediately ordered one. I didn't have any major problems with the Kindle 1, but I figured that since I loved the Kindle, I would love the Kindle 2 even more.

If you love to read, and find yourself going to the bookstore 2 or more times a month, the Kindle is for you. It's that simple. The device makes everything about reading a better experience. While the price is steep, just do the math for yourself on what you will save over purchasing books at stores, not to mention the hassle it saves, and all of the content you will find that you never would have otherwise.

Free-Range Chickens
Free-Range Chickens
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The Reason SNL Lost It's Funny, December 11, 2008
Simon Rich seems to be confused on what is funny.

I am not certain who this book is intended for. Most of the humor is very elementary, and it's hard to imagine anyone above the age of 14 finding it funny. There is however a bit with vulgar language, which is what then led me to the confusion.

About 90% of the book is short bits that feel very similar to those you would find in Seth MacFarlane's Family Guy, however Rich lacks the setup and execution of MacFarlane's work, leaving the jokes dry and me as the reader contemplating if I missed 'the funny'.

At any cost above free this book receives zero stars, as you could find the exact same content coming from any high school aged kid.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 6:45 AM PST

Thirteen Reasons Why
Thirteen Reasons Why
by Jay Asher
Price: $13.78
344 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A horrible and potentially costly message, September 30, 2008
This review is from: Thirteen Reasons Why (Hardcover)
This is my first review on Amazon, and I am only doing this because I feel it is necessary to warn people about this book.

The character that is giving the thirteen reasons for committing suicide is not looking for help, and at every opportunity, pushes those away that are interested in trying. She feels the world revolves around her, and looks for reasons for suicide because other people don't feel the same way.

Half of all high-school girls will go through most of what Hannah went through. It is sad, but that is teenage school life.

As the book continues on, it becomes harder and harder to feel sorry for Hannah. She is guilty of the same lack of effort she chastised everyone on her list for.

At the end of the book, the only people you feel sorry for are those Hannah calls out (with 2 exceptions), as they now have to live with the idea that because they did not put Hannah before them in all things they were the cause of her death.

This book sends a horrible message, and will be extremely confusing to teens that are facing real problems with depression, as they see a girl that has plenty of reasons, none of which are anywhere near as bad as theirs, and lose all hope for themselves if someone with so few real problems wasn't able to find a way to get through it.

The writing is great and the premise had such incredible potential, but was wasted when Hannah was written as the whiny girl looking for excuses.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 6:26 AM PST