Profile for Dedicated Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dedicated Mom "Mac" RSS Feed (Westchester, NY)

Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
by Martin L. Kutscher
Price: $11.77
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, not a one size fits all approach, October 7, 2009
I initially bought two books when I read the review; one for myself and one for my sister. Now I am back to purchase 5 more because I just have to share this book with my friends who are all suffering the homework blues!

I have always considered myself a very organized person (too much so, probably!) and I was able to pass this skill on to my oldest child. Then came my second! It seemed like nothing worked! All I kept hearing was, "I can't, I can't! I don't know how!" and I thought this was just her being obstinate or lazy or both. I would get angrier and angrier. I was at my wits end and resigned to the fact that this would always be a struggle for us.

Then I read in this book, "She was telling me exactly what the problem was-she really didn't have a clue how to start the task. She wasn't being lazy or trying to get away from her responsibilities. She simply didn't know how to organize herself. That insight helped me to turn aside my anger. Now I just needed to figure out how to help her." It was my situation excactly!

Just because I was so organized, it didn't mean my method of organization would work for my daughter. Thanks to this book, there are simple, concrete ways to determine exactly what works best for my daughter and the way she thinks/sees things. What works for me doesn't work for her and once we found what works for her, we were free! Free from frustration, free from screaming and free to focus on other things!

I recommend this to anyone who thought there was no hope for thier child to ever be organized. It is a book that is very specific and straightforward. I also think it's an excellent book for disorganized adults too!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 8:51 PM PDT