Profile for D. Salvagin La Deetda Reads > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 538

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Salvagin La Deetda Reads "La Deet Da Reads" RSS Feed (New York USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love)
Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love)
Price: $5.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, March 4, 2014
The characters did not engage me. Lord Ashton did not see his wife for eight years, even with a nagging, interfering mother who absolutely cows him into submission. Sure he has reasons to doubt his wife but why not sit down and have a heart-to-heart chat and clear the air? Oh yes, then there would be no plot. Jessica also plays cat and mouse with secrets that are best shared with her husband. Add to the main characters being disappointing and then we have the in-town butler who finds it perfectly “okay” to make lascivious innuendos about the romantic activity of the hero and heroine. (This in any regency household would be an offense for dismissal.) The dialog often felt too modern for the period.
I cannot recommend this book.
I received this book free for review from the publisher.

The Fall of a Saint (The Sinner and the Saint)
The Fall of a Saint (The Sinner and the Saint)
Price: $4.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Romantic Novel, March 1, 2014
My first introduction to the writing of Christine Merrill delights me in that I found this author. The plotting is straight forward. Maddie has been wronged and Michael has vowed to make amends. All is good and right except that Maddie vows to make him sorry he wronged her. This is a warm story of redemption and forgiveness. There are more than a few moments where we doubt the romantic match. There are some surprises also. This is the second book in The Sinner and The Saint Series but it is a standalone novel. Michael’s half brother Sam and his wife Evie play important roles in this book. Their story is in book #1 of the series, THE GREATEST OF SINS, but we are given background enough in this book to make us look forward to reading their story.
I recommend this book to all romance readers who like a classically written historical romance.

The Luckiest Lady in London
The Luckiest Lady in London
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizzling Sexual Tension, February 28, 2014
Can a push-pull, cat and mouse, game of lust and seduction lead to a happily ever after? The game that Louisa and Felix play is not for the faint of heart. It is full of lies and machinations and one up-manship. All this is deftly handled by the superb writing of author Sherry Thomas.
Deliciously clever dialog underscores the sizzling sexual tension that vibrates between the protagonists. This story is all about the manipulations devised by the hero and heroine. They have made love into a competition. Ms Thomas deftly handles the characterization of Felix and Louisa so that we not only understand their dispositions and moral fiber, or lack thereof, but we sympathize with them also. Side characters play only very minor roles.
I highly recommend this book to all romance readers.

A Wicked Pursuit: A Breconridge Brothers Novel (The Breconridge Brothers)
A Wicked Pursuit: A Breconridge Brothers Novel (The Breconridge Brothers)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fizzled, February 25, 2014
I wanted to love this book. After all the author has written other historical romances as well as historical fiction as Susan Holloway. I am a huge fan of her blog she shares with author Loretta Chase that has all manner of interesting posts on fashion and mores of the 18th and19th century.
So what went wrong for me with this book? The writing was good, the characters appealing but the plot just fizzled. The ending I would characterize as anti-climatic except that a climax was missing altogether. I have rated the book as “okay” because the main characters are so well drawn and the attention to period detail was exceptionally done.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 7:54 PM PDT

The Trouble with Honor (Hqn)
The Trouble with Honor (Hqn)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yum!, February 25, 2014
Oh Yum! This book sizzles with sexual tension and romance. It is a page turner from the beginning. The wonderfully nuanced characters are spot on. We have the feisty, slightly spoiled, head strong debutante and the penultimate rake. She is trying to save herself and her sisters from ruin and he is on a downward spiral of losing his entire fortune. They have an instant chemistry that neither can deny although they do their best. He can’t keep his hands off of her and she can’t seem to refuse him. The side characters of the slightly vacant stepbrother, the social climbing fiancé, the serious sister, the wise beyond her years sister and the young attention grabbing sister make this a fun, believable read.
I highly recommend this book to all Historical Romance lovers.

What Nora Knew
What Nora Knew
by Linda Yellin
Price: $12.41
89 used & new from $1.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful!!!!!, February 17, 2014
This review is from: What Nora Knew (Paperback)
Oh my, yes,yes,yes!! This is so funny you will be laughing out loud and like me telling all your friends to read this book. Molly Hallberg’s assignment from her magazine editor is to write a romantic article about people falling in love and staying in love, a la Nora Effron, says her editor. Somehow Molly has weeks to write it but blows the article and nearly her job. She is romantically challenged it seems. So starts the Briget Jones type antics and Molly continues to be clueless about love.

Linda Yellin can write wickedly witty scenes and dialog. She captures that NYC vibe of disdain and disregard in the office and the snobby vibe of a weekend in the Hamptons, but all played for fun and laughs…for us…but not for our heroine. Molly can’t seem to put a foot right. Will she let her destiny be downtrodden? We turn pages almost violently to find out if she can be saved from herself.

Oh please give yourself a treat and a lift during this snowy housebound winter and get this book.

I received this book free for review from the publisher.

Carrots: A Shelby Nichols Adventure (Shelby Nichols Adventures Book 1)
Carrots: A Shelby Nichols Adventure (Shelby Nichols Adventures Book 1)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Zany romp, February 14, 2014
This is a zany romp in the Chick Lit genre. I have no superlatives for the writing but the plotting and story line is well done. There are some humorous moments. The scenes that should have actually been full of scary drama are somehow not so much. The mystery is quickly solved. The characterization calls to mind characters from other authors in the Mystery/Chick Lit genre. There is the dark, handsome, dangerous bodyguard, the zany heroine who stumbles in one trouble after another, the dimpled police detective whom she calls…what else…”Dimples”. This is a fast, light, read that will cause no PTSD symptoms. Just some laughs.

Figure O'Speech
Figure O'Speech
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, creative game, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Figure O'Speech (App)
I am having a good time with this game. I'm still on level one and once in awhile I get stuck and when I figure it out I'm embarrassed that it took me so long. This is challenging but not in a frustrating way. Sooner or later it all falls into place. I think this game will keep my mind sharp ( and the older I get the more that is important). I recommend this game for teens to adult.

Romancing the Duke: Castles Ever After
Romancing the Duke: Castles Ever After
by Tessa Dare
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.91
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good, smile Friendly, Sexy Romance, February 7, 2014
Have you been yearning to fall into a fairytale and lose yourself for several hours of humor, semi-drama and sizzling romance? Here it is in all its knights and handmaiden glory. Yes, there are knights, a ghastly, ghostly Gostly Castle, a resident scarred and tortured Duke, handmaidens (on demand it seems) and a feisty, innocent young woman who refuses to be pushed around.

Izzy is described as not a beauty, at least in her own eyes her super curly, untameable hair and her nose make her unattractive. But Ransom, the duke, and the reader know that she is beautiful inside and out. She has a pet ermine that attacks at will and also with encouragement. She has knights and handmaidens at her beck and call. Yes, it is true, but I will leave you to find out why.

Ransom is scarred and physically injured from a short-sword fight that occurred several months ago, but he is a handsome man in spite of the injuries, but irascible and not at all tolerant of having Izzy invade his space. Duncan his manservant of all tasks just tries to help where he can.

This book is Tessa Dare in top form. Her dialog and prose is laugh out loud:

“She tilted her face to his. He could feel her breath against his neck. Soft wisps of heat.
“And ever since I was a girl,” she whispered, “I’ve dreamed of my first kiss. I just knew in my heart that it would be romantic and tender and knee meltingly sweet.”
“Well now you know you were wrong. By this age, you should be accustomed to disappointment.”

Or perhaps this passage:

“Adolescence,” he said, “is awkward. Attending a past lover’s wedding is awkward. Making love on horseback is awkward.”
She was in agreement, so far as the first part. She’d have to take his word on it when it came to the second and third……..
….She had a hundred questions she wanted to ask him. Nay, a thousand. And the stupidest questions were the ones that clamored loudest to get out. Have you truly made love on horseback? She wanted to ask. How does that even work? Was it how you were injured?”

I recommend this book to all who want a feel good, smile friendly, sexy romance.

Amoretti Master Sampler Pack
Amoretti Master Sampler Pack
Price: $43.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Good way to give it a try, February 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great way to sample this company's products. All of the samples were of the highest quality. I tended to like the Agave and Sugar Free offerings the best. The caramel and vanilla flavors were favorites. Unlike some other reviewers I thought the olive oil had too much added Kalamata olive flavor but of course everything is relative to the individual palette. All in all having this sampler has pointed me in the direction of some very fine syrups.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20