Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for Adrift > Reviews

Browse

Adrift's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adrift RSS Feed (Ohio)

Genesis Unbound: A Provocative New Look at the Creation Account
Genesis Unbound: A Provocative New Look at the Creation Account
by John H. Sailhamer
33 used & new from $15.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed how I read the Old Testament, February 14, 2013
I've had this book for a couple years now. It was out of print for awhile, and I paid a lot more for it than it's listed currently. I don't give out too many 5 stars on Amazon, but when a book changes the way you understand elements of your faith, that's something. I won't go into a description of what the book is all about, you can probably figure that out from other reviewers, but what makes this book so star-worthy to me is that, even if Sailhamer's theory is off (and I don't think it is), it really helps the reader understand a bit about the Pentateuch's original author and audience, and their understanding of the significance of the land they lived in. I have two nitpicks 1.) On certain points Sailhamer seems awfully repetitive to me. I think Sailhamer may have felt this necessary because he was afraid his audience wouldn't really "get it". For many audiences, this is new information to take in on a hot-button topic in Christian theology, but I think Sailhamer's views are very clear and straightforward, and they didn't need to be repeated over and over. 2.) I would have really loved if Sailhamer had spent more time detailing and citing pre and post-Christian Jewish writings that explore interpretations of the Genesis account where they concur with his own. Though he has a chapter on this very subject, it's way too brief, and not nearly as descriptive as I was hoping.

For those of you who would like a good overview of Sailhamer's theory that he calls Historical Creationism, there's a wonderful article on John Piper's website by Matt Perman called "Science, the Bible, and the Promised Land". I've read Sailhamer liked the article so much, he thought Perman did a better job explaining his theory than he did.

Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel Home Theater System
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel Home Theater System

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, June 6, 2011
I wasn't really sure what to expect with the S5400. I hadn't had a surround sound setup in awhile, and my last home theater in a box was underwhelming, but I had heard good things about the S5300 and when I went to purchase one, I saw that a newer version had been released. From what I understand the S5400 is pretty much the same as the S5300 with the added benefit of the Audyssey mic calibrator. For someone who doesn't know anything about audio calibration it really can't get easier. Just plug the mic in and let Audyssey pretty much take care of the rest. Sound-wise, no complaints. Sounds great for movies and very good for music as well. I forgot how much I was missing in films without surround sound, and friends and family love it.

I wasn't able to do a standard 7.1 setup because of lack of room, so for awhile I had the system in a 5.1 configuration, that was before I figured out I could set the system up for Dolby Pro Logic IIz. What this does is it allows you to take the rear surrounds and mount them above the front speakers as front-highs. By setting the PLIIz configuration (which you can actually do through Audyssey) you add a sense of height to audio which allows for a more airy sort of sound as well as moving certain audio channels above your head, so if you're watching a film with helicopters or rain or whatever, you actually hear that above your head as you naturally would rather than in front or behind you at ear level. Its really cool, and I've watched a couple of films where its really shined.

As others have mentioned, setup is super easy. Colored wires allow you to figure out what goes where, and mounting was a piece of cake. Finding cheap speaker stands for my surrounds was a bit complicated, but I ended up going with some 15 dollar Walmart brand and using an adhesive that comes with the speakers to sit them on the stand. It sounds precarious, but its more stable than you'd think.

All in all I've very happy. Great price. Great sound. Easy setup. I couldn't ask for much more I don't think.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 3:12 PM PST

Elite Screens ezCinema Series, 100-inch 16:9, Portable Floor Pull Up Projection Screen, Model: F100NWH
Price: $226.41
40 used & new from $226.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Was Looking For, May 22, 2011
After having issues with a couple of pull-ups from a competitor I decided to go with Elite's EZ-Cinema, and I'm so glad I did. I live in a small apartment, and this screen is the perfect solution for my living situation. The EZ-Cinema uses a sturdy rod support system rather than a scissor pull-up mechanism you'll find on other portables (including the EZ-Cinema Plus). I wasn't sure how reliable the rod support was going to be, but its actually very easy and practical to use. There are two notches at the top of the rod support that allows the owner to stand the screen straight up and down, or tilt the screen back slightly for manual keystoning of projected images.

There are no obvious waves in the screen unless you get right up on it and look at it from the side. There's almost no bowing on the sides of the screen, which is a problem with some pull-ups. No rips or dirt or oil smudges, all of which I've had issues with in previous pull-up purchases. The screen looks bright, and projected light is evenly distributed. Build quality is all around very decent. The pull-up is packaged with a user's guide, brochure for other Elite products, and a case cover to prevent scratches while in transit.

After a lot of research and experience with other screen makers I think I can say with some confidence that if you're in the market for an affordable portable this is probably the best out there.

FAVI FS-HD-100 16:9/100-Inch Portable Floor Stand Projector Screen
FAVI FS-HD-100 16:9/100-Inch Portable Floor Stand Projector Screen

2.0 out of 5 stars So Much Potential, But Very Disappointing, May 19, 2011
I really really wanted to like this screen. I live in an apartment, and having an affordable mobile screen seemed like the best compromise to my non-permanent situation. The concept of a scissor action mechanism to the screen that allowed the user to simply pull it straight up sounded like a no-brainer. The lack of reviews on the web for this pullup had me thinking that it was either untried, and/or at least not disliked. Unfortunately it took me two Favi screens to change that impression.

The first screen came to me with small holes in it, an oily looking smudge towards the top and just a shoddy, cheap feel to the whole thing. It took me awhile to figure out who to send the screen back to for a replacement. I was willing to overlook the cheap quality for a hole-less replacement rather than a refund. First I contacted the manufacturer, Favi. Favi emailed me back and told me that they couldn't help me because I was dealing with a third party vendor (Retail Ace) rather than them directly. They informed me to contact Amazon for a refund or replacement. I misunderstood Amazon's return/replacement policy instructions, and next contacted the third party vendor. Retail Ace emailed me and again told me that I needed to deal through Amazon directly as Amazon was their warehouse supplier. Oddly, a link for Retail Ace's website in this second email redirected me to Favi's website... So... I don't know if Retail Ace and Favi are the same company or what, and if so why is one a third party vendor to the other? Anyways, I next contacted Amazon, and they could only provide a refund. Fair enough. I decided to refund the screen and purchased a second one. Upon locking the case of the screen for return one of the very thin buckles snapped in two on me.

The second screen came to me without holes (yay!), but had a new set of problems. Pulling the screen up I immediately noticed very large waves in the middle of the screen that were incredibly distracting whenever light colored scenes appeared. One side of the screen was so bowed that projected images looked like they were slipping off the side. And worst of all, a large plastic "L" shaped support that's supposed to be under the screen was broken and laying in the middle of the case.

In the end I chose Elite's Ez-Cinema 16:9 100" screen which is a huge improvement in build and quality over the Favi's for only about $20 or $30 more.

Spirit and the Bride
Spirit and the Bride
Offered by Marks Ear Candy
Price: $10.36
7 used & new from $2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Another listen with quality audio equipment, January 25, 2010
This review is from: Spirit and the Bride (Audio CD)
I've owned this album for years. Always thought it was "nice", but wasn't on heavy rotation in my home... however, recently I've been getting into high end headphones (Sennheiser HD650s with a desktop tube amp) and gave this album a recent listen and wow... this album sounds great. The production is simply terrific. The songs, though not exactly catchy, are on the darker side and are very well crafted. A lot of time and talent obviously went into making this album. At the time of this writing, this album came out 10 years ago. I wonder where the original artists are now? Another reviewer claimed this is a gothy dark-wave sounding album. I've been partial to goth music since the early 90s and this isn't exactly goth. If you're going that direction the closest it comes to that scene is maybe some of Peter Murphy's solo and side projects or, occasionally, Dead Can Dance-lite, but you won't mistake this for Bauhaus or The Cure, or SoM, or anything like that. Its not goth and its certainly not darkwave. Too light for that and sometimes strays into Progressive a bit (which I usually loathe). But it is a good album, and if you want a Christian version of later Peter Murphy, or a distilled version of DCD it may be right up your alley.

The Story of the First Noel
The Story of the First Noel
DVD ~ Roger Moore
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $9.75
5 used & new from $3.90

3.0 out of 5 stars don't beleive everything you watch, December 17, 2006
This review is from: The Story of the First Noel (DVD)
I think folks should be warned that this film is not necessarily historically factual. I found much of it to be sensationalized and exaggerated for entertainment purposes. They treat subjects like Helena's relic discovery of the Magi's remains as possible truth. No doubt that, historically, the mother of Constantine did think she had received the remains of the magi, but the chances of them truly being their remains are unlikely, and yet this detail is curiously missing from the film. This sort of brushing over of historical facts happens throughout the film. The film also treats the gnostic gospels with more relevance than they really deserve, only briefly touching on the fact that the majority of them were written tens or hundreds of years after the original gospels and the film tells us that Christian Gnostics were in the majority. That's just not accurate. The film also includes a modern day Christmas miracle that's a bit too hard for even a believer like me to swallow. I'm giving it a few stars because, even though the acting is generally pretty bad, and the production a bit poor, it is entertaining, but films like these do nothing for the Christian faith but make Christians look gullible and foolish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 6:14 AM PST