Profile for PhotoMama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PhotoMama RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Veronica Mars Season One [HD]
Veronica Mars Season One [HD]
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Charming, Addictive..., November 20, 2014
I'm fully addicted, and it started with the recently released Veronica Mars movie on cable. That was my introduction to this show. The main character has a lot of integrity and heart, but is also a cool, brave rebel. Nice soundtrack, funny, charming, and of course the mysteries pull you in. Kristen Bell is wonderful! Positive messages while acknowledging that things can be really messy and complicated in life.

Piggy Paint Nail Polish Gift Set - Cupcake Cutie
Piggy Paint Nail Polish Gift Set - Cupcake Cutie

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling a little glamorous again..., August 6, 2012
I had stopped wearing polish years ago because it seemed so fake and toxic but have missed feeling girly and glamorous. This got me back in business, and I can't stop gazing at my pretty nails!

It can chip, I won't tell a lie : ) But, it is worth it to me. When I paint my toe nails with a thick coat the polish tends to last a good week or more looking pretty great. But it will depend on how rough you are on it. It probably won't stand up to a lot of scuffing.

I painted a thin layer on my finger nails recently and it started chipping very quickly. You can either touch it up or start over with thicker or multiple layers to get better results. To remove the polish I dab the Piggy Paint remover on my nails first to start to dissolve the polish a little and then go back and rub it off.

Dries pretty quickly. No odor that I have noticed. Pretty colors!

I would describe this as a shimmery green-blue and shimmery purplish pink set.

FLUF CHIRP! Lunch Bag, 11-Inch L by 8-Inch W by 4-1/2-Inch D
FLUF CHIRP! Lunch Bag, 11-Inch L by 8-Inch W by 4-1/2-Inch D
Price: $18.15
5 used & new from $12.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and Functional, August 6, 2012
I bought two of these for the kids after going through 4 other lunch bags from skip hop and wildkin. While they were fine for a while at first, I found that they got awfully smelly from spilled milk and I was never able to get the smell out. I have not had that problem with these. As a bonus, I love that they are more natural, non-toxic and playful and stylish to boot. My youngest child is three and he has an easy time opening and closing his lunches on his own with this. It is just a snap at the top. When we received it I wondered if it would do a good job staying cool because it was so open at the top and have been pleasantly surprised that it seems to do better than any of the previous lunch boxes we have had. It stays more than cool enough for me to unpack it a few hours after school is out when packed with an ice pack. It washes beautifully in the machine or with a quick rinse turned inside out. Lastly, I like the size. Previous bags have felt too small or awkward. It is easy to fit all that we need in there. Fabulous!

ExerBeat - Nintendo Wii
ExerBeat - Nintendo Wii
6 used & new from $33.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me look forward to exercising..., August 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am a walking ad for this game, I love it so much! I was not in great shape when I started this program a year ago, and needed something that I could grow into. I find that it is smartly designed, good looking and has plenty of variety and features. Literally, if you have 5 minutes you should be able to get something out of this program. You can get a decent and challenging routine in with that amount of time if you need to. It is better than nothing! From there you can make goals to do longer or multiple routines a day.

But I would not steer clear of this if you are in better shape. The pre-programmed workouts get longer and harder as you unlock new ones with points earned. One thing I love about a workout game is that it makes me feel competitive and I want to do well to earn more variety in the workouts available with points earned. It is easy (but not too easy) and satisfying.

I have been doing this regularly for the past year as mentioned, and I have not found any significant flaws. Nor have I gotten bored. Because of this program I will never go back to uninspired, repetitive workouts.

One interesting feature is seeing your mii travel a virtual earth as you earn points. I can see how this would be annoying for folks to wait through. I thought it would be the same for me, but since I have kids that watch me workout half of the time it is fun and pleasant to watch and learn a little geography, points of interests, landmarks etc. It gives me a chance to get a drink of water and a moment to pause. This feature kicks in every time you finish a workout so if you choose a short one you will have to wait through the virtual mii traveling to the next destination after every individual work out chosen. That will add up to a lot of time sitting through it. Some of the individual workouts are 30 seconds to a minute or two. So as soon as you unlock longer workouts and the personal trainer mode you can do longer and longer workouts without having to wait out the virtual mii on earth. This feature has given me some sense of achievement as I have been around the world already and am now wearing a crown as I go around again. Different points of interest are covered along the way this time around.

To get started, you put in your stats and use or create your mii character which you don't see at all during workouts, just the instructors and their fitness class members behind them. Don't make the mistake of starting as a guest as I did with the idea of practicing first. Just go ahead and make your profile because chances are you will start earning points right away to unlock workouts. As a guest your points won't count. If you don't do a satisfying job the first time around you can repeat the routine as many times as you like to improve or just if you like it.

The workouts are very low impact, but extremely effective. The instructors are positive and supportive, even when you do not follow the moves well. There are only a few moves that I have had to figure out the timing for the sensor where I am doing the exercise but it isn't registering with the sensor. That has only been occasional and I have figured the timing out eventually, except for the party fitness swimming! That is not my favorite section anyway, and I have no doubt that if I practiced it more I would get more points. In general you can choose to do bigger movements to make workouts more difficult. I am pretty comfortable following moves from past workout DVD's and I love to dance so I get a great outlet for it here. The dance options are aerobics, hip hop and latin. Under conditioning is yoga, pilates and stretching. Then there is martial arts, which I love. It is a great stress reliever. There are boxing workouts for getting even more aerobics.

I have done this workout a great many times. I am not bored at all. I am still finding new features. When I go for a while without working out for one reason or another, I find it easy to get back into it even if I have lost some strength. When you are ready to commit you can set a weekly challenge for yourself where you choose your target workout total time for the next week to give yourself extra motivation.

After each workout you can get more stats that show your workout time and calories burned and how this stacks up over time. After every workout you get a virtual stamp to stamp your virtual calendar that you have worked out that day no matter how short the time was. If you do over 30 minutes the "fire" stamp goes from red to rainbow colored.

Lastly, I have used the personal trainer mode feature quite a bit. This is where you can go in and choose a workout time length and goal like relaxation (usually yoga comes up for that it seems), health maintenance, stress relief (martial arts and boxing usually it seems), shaping up or a body section to target that kind of thing. It has been a great feature and it has led to me feeling more interested in choosing my own custom workouts. Yet another cool feature!

If I try to be really picky, as I really have no complaints, the only thing I would wish for is more stretching options and perhaps meditation. I am still exploring yoga and pilates and love them so far but I don't know if I will wish for more of that later. I would only wish for more because the routines are so great. I really hope this company makes more fitness games in the future.

Here's to your health!

Brain Food - Brain Stem Blue
Brain Food - Brain Stem Blue
Offered by Steel Dealz
Price: $14.00
7 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A calming, tactile activity..., July 16, 2011
This review is from: Brain Food - Brain Stem Blue (Toy)
I got this in Fuchsia and Brain Stem Blue. It is firm and also has a space age way of conforming itself to look almost liquid in whatever container it is stored in, so whatever you make is somewhat fleeting. It can be a little tricky to get a hold of in the tin at first but I found it easy to get the hang of pretty quickly. The consistency works well for my 4 year old. Though I am not trying to influence anyone's decision, I do let my 2 year old play with this under close supervision to keep him from putting it in his mouth or making a huge mess. He really loves joining in and it gives him the same stimulating experience. The putty is good for sculpting flat relief art or just squeezing and breaking the putty apart for a tactile, calming activity. I left my four year old playing with these and she did what came naturally and mixed the two colors. There was no way to un-do that so now we have a pretty silvery purplish-blue!. If you are like me and like an excuse to play with toys and could use any opportunity to release stress then you might pick up enough putty to have to yourself while sitting together. I find that there's not really enough to take any from the kids putty and I really, really want to have some too! It makes my kids happy when I sit with them for this activity so I will get more at some point so I get to enjoy my own when they are busy with theirs. The most important feature for me, is that it is listed as non-toxic (if you do an internet search you can find more product info). Good stuff!

Brain Food - Frontal Lobe Fuschia

Cloud b Twilight Constellation Night Light Turtle, Classic Mocha
Offered by BabyEarth
Price: $33.95
26 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars We have found many uses for this dreamy night light..., July 13, 2011
We bought this a couple of years ago and in the beginning we didn't know if we would get much use out of it with our then 2 year old. She was mildly interested. Our younger one, now 2 years old, loves it so it really depends on the child.

It is light and portable, which makes it incredibly handy.

We use our twilight turtle often for both children in our night time ritual, when we travel to create a secure feeling away from home and an instant home-like atmosphere at bed-time, in the car at night on road trips to calm fussy little ones where the light is not too distracting but creates an instant dreamy interior to the car. We have just simply played with it for fun during the day in dimly lit spots and even used it when the power goes out to find our way and create calming light for our disconcerted children. I even use myself sometimes to check on the kids at night and to find my way.

The three color choices are great. The brightest seems to green, then blue is medium brightness and gold the dimmest. None of them are super bright but we have never had trouble seeing any of them. When the batteries weaken the lights start to fade but will perk up again when changed.

Interestingly, everyone has a definite favorite starlight color in the family, so it allows a choice at bed time. I think we all come to find that giving choices or power where we can is a good thing!

I had originally meant to buy the blue sea turtle because I imagined the brown one would be too dull. I received the brown one instead (I am sure I chose it accidentally) and I love it. It is low key and looks natural, while still being very nice to look at.

Legare 60-Inch by 47-Inch Corner Desk
Legare 60-Inch by 47-Inch Corner Desk

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, beautiful, well designed..., July 13, 2011
We've had this desk for over a year now. It has a warm tone, durable finish. The natural bamboo grain pattern is apparent. The surface is smooth. There is a lovely inlay sort of pattern on the edge facing the chair. I use the desk every single day, with two small children climbing all over me throughout the day and even using the desk for a teether!

It is well built and strong. I have bumped into this desk pretty hard with a chair a bunch of times and I cannot see a hint of a scratch. It really is a solid desk. I've got a lot of heavy computer components and books on it and it seems to me the more weight you put on it the sturdier it gets.

The desk came together easily as advertised. Really cool puzzle design. It feels roomy. We are tall people and our legs have plenty of room underneath. The full coverage on the outside walls of the desk can hide ugly cords. It also gives it a grander, finished appearance. The shelves underneath on each side are well planned and useful I find. There's a satisfying amount of desk top space to work with, though my gargantuan all in one photo printer takes up a lot of space on one side.

I find this desk beautiful. The organic lines create soft corners which is pleasing and less painful for those of us that bump into furniture corners a lot : ) We appreciate the form and functionality because we are both in the business of design and art, and prefer for our spaces to reflect that. The style is natural, zen-like and modern, so just make sure that goes well with your sensibility.

Obviously I am thrilled with this desk, and the fact that it is non-toxic, eco-friendly, relatively affordable and all of the above makes it nothing short of brilliant in my view! I am planning to add either a peninsula or bridge desk extension at some point.

Summer Infant Day and Night Handheld Color Video Monitor with 1.8" Screen - Silver
Offered by The Holiday Company
2 used & new from $133.96

4.0 out of 5 stars quirky for sure, but..., October 11, 2010
Brilliant for naps and monitoring play time for a child who is old enough for a little freedom. I love how my daughter has no idea how I know when she tries to jump on the bed! I've used it for naps in the swing from newborn on up and for naps otherwise.

We are on our third year with this monitor system. We've used it in two different rooms of a one level house. Both locations work equally well. I never use it outside, however, due to static. It just doesn't work well enough.

Shortly after we got this video monitor the volume dial became very sensitive and quirky and would only work well if tweaked to just the right spot. Basically, we have two volumes that amount to normal and loud. Those are the two choices.

The other tricky thing is that we have only a couple of sweet spots in the house to place the video display / sound receiver unit. If it is not placed in a very specific spot it will have a very noisy picture and static sound that would be way too annoying to even bother with. Thankfully one of our sweet spots is in a convenient place so it works for us.

If positioned correctly, the sound detected in the monitored area is very sensitive and helpful. The picture is ok, but don't expect to get a highly detailed, informative picture unless the camera is positioned very close to the pictured area. In doing so, you limit the area that is monitored visually which might be fine for a crib which I did actually use it for briefly right after we bought it. The way I usually use it gives me a general sense of where the child is in the room.

Bottom line for me is that I have had tons of use out of this video monitor system, as it is used daily. I've found ways to make it work for us. We love technology and gadgets but the truth is we haven't investigated what might be interfering with our units because we have been able to get around it.

If you already co-sleep, this can be a good tool for helping keep nap time safer, together with a completely safe baby proof, low level sleep environment and physically going in to check often as needed. I really like this co-sleeping book for anyone interested: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Nights-Parents-Family-Peaceful/dp/0312275188/ref=pd_sim_b_2

If you intend to use it for night time I would search and find the review titled, "Beware - No Security". That would give me pause if I were going to monitor night time sleep. But I don't yet so I am not as worried about it. Maybe consider buying from a place with a liberal return policy.

Oh, Bother! Someone's Messy!
Oh, Bother! Someone's Messy!
by Betty G. Birney
141 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever way to explain the concept of cleaning..., January 27, 2010
We loved "Oh Bother! Someone's Fibbing" so much that we purchased most of the rest of the series. They have been a great way to open up a productive discussion about issues relevant to our every day experiences. I am not sure if this is still in print. We had to buy ours used.

These stories acknowledge your child's feelings while helping them to feel part of deciding on the best way to do things. The stories can seem a bit aimless at first, but do end up drawing a helpful and satisfying conclusion.

In this book, despite her own discomfort at the idea, Kanga decides to let Roo keep his room as messy as he likes.

In the course of enjoying being messy Roo finds that it becomes harder to find things when there is so much clutter. He then decides to go visit Piglet's house. While there he realizes that his friends enjoy a clean space to play in because you can find everything easily and it is more pleasant overall. He finds that he likes it that way too.

The friends come over and help Roo clean up and organize his room. Nice resolution. It's as much about friendship and helping out as anything else.

My almost 3 year old has enough of an attention span for this book. After reading, she got the idea that we should clean up our toys!

When you receive this book, it is thin and unimpressive looking. The pictures are pleasant and the printing is saturated and fine enough. I took the time to review them because they are wonderful gems despite their modest appearance.

Page: 1 | 2