Profile for Harv > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harv RSS Feed

Marines (Crimson Worlds Book 1)
Marines (Crimson Worlds Book 1)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the story until ..., November 21, 2013
... the main character was promoted to Major. Then the story quit being about marines in combat and became more about senior officers maneuvering to get what they wanted.

Prophet and the Blood March (Prophet of ConFree Book 2)
Prophet and the Blood March (Prophet of ConFree Book 2)
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened to Marshall Thomas?, October 17, 2013
I really enjoyed the original series. I thought the characters rang true and the interpersonal conflicts in the squad added a little realism. Everyone wasn't happy all the time and for soldiers in war, that's about how it should be.

In this new series, specifically the second book "Prophet and the Blood March" that's not the case. It seems everyone in the Legion now loves everyone else. Even when the soldiers of Delta have to work with a liaison from the Assid Confederation they think he's great and give him instant acceptance and trust. When you're forced to work with someone from people who used to be your enemy there should be some distrust, you should be a little suspicious of their motives.

All the main characters always seem to be in a great mood, all the time. Not very realistic, especially for people in the military. I can't count the number of times someone from Delta watched the sunrise and commented on what a beautiful day it was. This is on a planet that runs to cold wet weather. How about, every once in a while, someone gets up, looks out at the cold rain and says, "Crap, rain again! I could really use a little sunshine." Then wanders off to find some Dox.

On top of the unnaturally sunny attitude of all the characters there's the religious overtones mentioned by another reviewer. Did Marshall Thomas suddenly get religion? The Omnis were good foes, the Demons were good too, in spite of the name. Did we need dimension hopping super aliens?

I won't mention anything about Dimension 2 and ghosts but, really, does that have any place in a military action series?

I've not quite finished the second book yet and I don't know if I will. I can't take much more of "What a beautiful day!" and "I love you guys!".

Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle)
Offered by Purple Pear
Price: $59.99
41 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Warming about Port Forwarding, May 2, 2012
We purchased this camera so we could monitor our home while on vacation. I was shocked when I set up port forwarding and discovered not only did the camera have no security but it opened a really large security hole in my home Wi-Fi.

When you connect to the camera over the internet via port forwarding you get a log in prompt of course, but it isn't secure, not even SSL, so the user id and password you enter is sent over the internet as clear text. Easy as pie for some nefarious type to grab, and if all they managed to grab is your user id the camera will help them out by allowing an unlimited number of tries on the password. To test if it would ever lock me out I entered my user id and incorrect passwords 50 times, on the 51st try I entered the correct password and it let me in. There certainly doesn't appear to be a limit.

The two things to take away from this:
1. Your user id and password is sent over the internet as clear text so it would be easy to capture.
2. Someone can just keep trying different user ids and passwords seemingly forever until they're successful.

So what's the big deal, you might say. If the camera is only pointing at my backyard or front door what do I care if someone else looks through it?

The big deal is, once someone is into your camera all they have to do is click on "Device Management", "Wireless LAN Setting" and there is all the info about your Wi-Fi network. In plain text with no attempt to hide it whatsoever is your Wi-Fi name, type of encryption, and password. With that info they're now into your home network, able to watch your activity on the internet, watch you log into your bank, and likely able to browse your computer. Might just as well unlock your front door and leave it open.

My goal in buying this camera was to increase my home's security while on vacation but it actually decreases it. I'll be sending it back as the security implications are just too large to overcome.

A bit about me:
- Software Engineer for past 5 years
- System Administrator for 15 years before that
- Electronics technician for 20 years before that.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 11:36 AM PST

CableJive dockXtender Premium Extension Cable for iPhone, iPod, iPad (6 foot black). Hold Your Phone in Your Hand While you Charge and Play Music. Compatible with all 30-Pin Audio Docks, Speaker Docks, Docking Stations, including Bose SoundDock, Logitech, iHome, JBL, Phillips, Sony and Others.
Offered by CableJive
Price: $26.95
3 used & new from $26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, April 22, 2011
I brought one of these cables in December of 2010 to connect my iPhone to a inHome system that I previously couldn't use because of the case I have on the iPhone. The cable is ruggedly build, seems durable, and the connectors snap in with a solid feel to them. The cable seems kind of pricy at first but after using it for a few months I feel it's worth it. In fact, I'm ordering a second one today for my wife to use with her iPad.