Profile for Dave R > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave R RSS Feed

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Sony NP-FW50 and Sony Alpha 7, a7, Alpha 7R, a7R, Alpha 7S, a7S, Alpha a3000, Alpha a5000, Alpha a6000, NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, SLT-A33, SLT-A35, SLT-A37, SLT-A55V, Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Price: $26.99
2 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony SLT-A35 Replacement Battery, February 5, 2012
It's been a long, difficult process to try to find replacement batteries for my Sony SLT-A35, but it appears that these batteries finally fit the bill. After ordering from a different vendor, returning batteries that didn't power on the camera or charge in the charger that was sent with them, then getting a second type from them that charged, powered on the camera only to fail a few seconds later, I was unsure whether any non-OEM battery would work with my camera. That's when I stumbled upon this Wasabi battery/charger combo from Blue Nook. I contacted them to see if they would have the same issues I've experienced and they assured me that they had already gone through what I did and had found a manufacturer that could produce batteries that would work in my camera.

I ordered from them but was still skeptical. The Batteries arrived two days before they were scheduled to and while charging the first, I popped the second one in my camera right away. These batteries, as reported, come 80% charged. The Camera powered right up, and a test shot, which was what initially caused the batteries from the other manufacturer to fail worked with out a hitch. I tried a bunch more shots, worked through the menus, formatted the test shots, took some more, waiting for the battery charge percentage to drop by 1 percent, a sign that the battery was fully communicating with the camera. It did and I am now the happy owner of two new replacement batteries and a new charger for half the price of one OEM battery.

Edit: Took the fully charged batteries into the field for a shoot and both worked just fine.

Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens
Offered by WholeSaleAV
Price: $679.00
9 used & new from $309.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha SLT-A35, August 22, 2011
Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

I've had the Sony SLT-A35 for a couple of weeks now and after some testing and two in the field photo shoots, I think I'm ready to review it. I'll outline Pros, Cons and Matters of Preference.

Pros:
The photo quality is very good, what you would expect from a 16MP camera.

The colors seem accurate and true to me.

While the menu system is fairly deep, it seems well organized. Key features (Shutter Speed, F-Stop, WB, ISO, Bracketing/Self Timer, Screen Display Toggle, Focus Zoom) all have buttons within easy reach. A programable button can be set for easy access to one of many additional feature sets like HDR, Filter Effects, etc.

If you use Auto Focus, it is extremely fast. Manual focusing is a snap and the 7.5X and 15X focusing zoom helps a great deal for distance details.

While the battery life isn't great, compared to reviews of the A33 and A55, it is improved. I was able to shoot for about 4 hours and still had about 30% of the battery charge remaining. Still, a second battery just in case seems like a must.

The 18-55mm kit lens (SAL1855) seems solid as an all purpose lens.

Cons:
Biggest flaw so far is lack of Camera RAW support from Adobe/Lightroom. The Image Data Converter SR software that comes with the camera is lacking at best. I'm shooting everything in RAW + JPG so that I have something to play with until the RAW files are useable.

There is a strange chromatic effect through the EVF when the camera moves or even when you blink. It's somewhat mild and I've gotten used to seeing it pretty quickly, but it was startling at first.

I haven't captured a quality image with the Panoramic sweep after about 20 attempts. The file size is around 3MB, so it's capturing significantly less data than even a fine JPG at full resolution.

Matters of Preference:
The camera body is very light. People taking the camera on long treks will probably find this to be beneficial as every ounce of weight you can shed matters. Those who like a more substancial feeling in their hands as they shoot may see that differently.

So far this camera is near useless for Infrared Photography. It lets through very little IR light. With a 720nm filter on a bright sunny day, a 4-5 second exposure shows almost no IR light. Adding a ND 8 filter allowed for longer exposure time but very little additional IR light. What you get is a very orange cast image with proper IR sky but foliage retains it's greens. With a 950nm filter, finally IR light came through but on the same bright, sunny day, an exposure of 1 minute or more was necessary. It's very difficult to get quality IR shots over that long a shutter. If you don't shoot in IR, this is a non issue, obviously.

Conclusion:
I'm very satisified with the camera. Although it's IR capabilities are non existent so I have to carry my old setup out on shoots I may want to do IR work on, the image quality and basic functionality of this camera are spot on. The annoyances will either be sorted out soon (Adobe RAW support) or are in the extra features that are non-essential.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 1:16 PM PDT