Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for K. Wilson > Reviews

Browse

K. Wilson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Wilson RSS Feed (Upstate NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel
The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel
by Lauren Weisberger
Price: $10.69
873 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great fiction but a fun read, July 8, 2005
This isn't Shakespeare and anyone looking for great fiction should look elsewhere. That said, if you are looking for good chick-lit, you should buy this book. You may not relate to Andrea Sachs, the main character, but you WILL want to find out what Miranda Priestly, Andrea's boss, is going to do next. I have no interest in fashion or the fashion world but I found this book to be enjoyable nonetheless.

Name All the Animals: A Memoir
Name All the Animals: A Memoir
by Alison Smith
Price: $14.08
288 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars About so much more than grief, July 8, 2005
Alison Smith's memoir reads more like fiction. The book focuses on the death of her brother and how it impacted herself and her family. She and Roy were always close and she was devastated by losing him. While this book is filled with grief, it's not just a sad story. It's also a coming of age story based on Smith's years at Mercy High School in Rochester, NY. Despite the sadness, there are some very funny moments and I found myself laughing out loud numerous times.

Prep: A Novel
Prep: A Novel
by Curtis Sittenfeld
168 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, July 8, 2005
This review is from: Prep: A Novel (Hardcover)
"Prep" is the story of Lee Fiora, who flips through the catalog for Ault, a fancy boarding school in Massachusetts, and becomes enamored witht he idea of going to high school there. Her family lives in South Bend, Indiana, and doesn't have much money so they don't think it's possible but Lee is fortunate enough to get a scholarship. The book is separated into four sections based on each year Lee is at Ault. The school turns out not to be quite what she expected and she finds it difficult to make friends there. She feels like an outcast but she later comes to realize that it was her own feelings of inadequacy that held her back from reaching out. While prep school is a world I haven't experienced, I found myself being able to relate to Lee at times based on the difficulty of starting out at a new place. The feelings and emotions portrayed in the book are dead on. This isn't the best coming of age book out there, but I did find myself wanting to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

Patience & Fortitude: A Roving Chronicle of Book People, Book Places, and Book Culture
by Nicholas A. Basbanes
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for all bibliphiles and library lovers, July 8, 2005
I had to read this for a class in my MSLIS program. It describes the history of books and libraries in a way that no textbook could. It is obvious in the way this book is written that Basbanes is passionate about books. I highly recommend this book for all bibliophiles and library lovers.

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
by Erik Larson
Price: $9.04
1111 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, July 8, 2005
"Devil in the White City" is an excellent book about the Chicago World Fair and H.H. Holmes, a serial killer in Chicago at the time. The details told of the World Fair alone are quite interesting but if that seems a bit boring to you, trust me - this book is not boring. The tale of the serial killer will keep you reading. His crimes are shocking and horrifying, and even more shocking and horrifying is how long he continued to get away with them before being caught! This book is perfect for anyone interested in U.S. history, Chicago history, or true crime.

The Amateur Marriage: A Novel
The Amateur Marriage: A Novel
by Anne Tyler
Price: $14.22
445 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, July 7, 2005
I don't think I would have picked this book out on my own but my local librarian recommended it so I read it. I liked the idea of separating the plot into the different decades of the characters lives but I ended up feeling left hanging, wanting to know more, at the end of each section when it jumped ahead 10 years. It was interesting to look at how life changed over time though - how the world changed and how the characters changed along with it.

One major part of the story focuses on Michael and Pauline's daughter running away from home. They find her years later in San Francisco with her young son, Pagan. I think I would have enjoyed more development into these characters. An offshoot of the book written from the perspective of Lindy would be interesting.

The Falls: A Novel
The Falls: A Novel
by Joyce Carol Oates
181 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, July 7, 2005
This review is from: The Falls: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have mixed feelings about this book. I love Joyce Carol Oates and believe she is an amazing writer. I also think this book is exceptionally well-written. However, the plot fell short with me. There are some shocking events in this novel and it is somewhat suspenseful but overall I found the characters to be annoying and didn't really care what happened to them. In addition, the ending did not live up to my expectations. Living in Upstate NY, I did enjoy reading Oates' history of Niagara Falls, NY and the famous Love Canal scandal.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: A Novel (Alex Awards (Awards))
by Mark Haddon
Price: $15.38
207 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky page-turner, July 7, 2005
This novel is one I consistently recommend to friends looking for something to read. Christopher, the main character, is a fifteen year old autistic boy who embarks on a quest to find out who murdered his neighbor's dog. The book is written as if Christopher is writing it himself, providing insight into the mind of an autistic teen. The result is a truly unique book that's a big quirky, a bit heartwarming, and totally hilarious.

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown
Edition: Audio CD
181 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Michael is awesome, July 7, 2005
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Audio CD)
I loved this audiobook and I would highly recommend that anyone thinking of reading the book listen to the audiobook instead. Paul Michael is such a great narrator - he has this amazing ability to do all sorts of accents. He definitely brings the listener into the story in a way that reading it yourself couldn't do.

The story itself is also excellent. I'm not generally a mystery/suspense fan but with all the buzz about this book I had to find out for myself and I was hooked from the beginning. It's a bit long for an audiobook but it's worth it. Just make sure you get the unabridged version so you don't miss out on anything! However, take note that once you start listening you won't be able to stop!

Flipped
Flipped
by Wendelin Van Draanen
Price: $7.73
391 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I "flipped" for this book, July 6, 2005
This review is from: Flipped (Paperback)
Flipped is the engaging story of Juli and Bryce, who have grown up living next door to each other. Juli fell hard ("flipped") for Bryce the first time they met. Bryce spent the next 6 years trying to avoid her. However, Bryce learns some tough lessons and realizes that things aren't always what they seem. The story is told from the perspective of both Juli and Bryce, jumping back and forth from chapter to chapter. What is truly unique is how Bryce will tell his version of what happened at a certain point in time and then Juli will tell her version. This gives great insight into the characters and shows how important it is to hear both sides of a story. While the book's premise is somewhat lighthearted, I was truly moved by the characters (particularly Juli) and life lessons in this book. I would recommend it for ages 10 through 14 for pleasure reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5