Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for TCM > Reviews

Browse

TCM's Profile

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TCM RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
1894 Frontier Doctor's Medical Handbook: Book 1 (The Frontier Doctor's Medical Handbook)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good herbal advice, one could do worse..., February 19, 2015
As a Chinese Medicine herbalist with experience in Western herbs, what I have read thus far correlates quite well with what I know. I do question some of the dietary advice, and some of the writings on causation. Nevertheless, one could certainly do worse than follow most of the herbal advice I have read thus far (maybe the first 20/30 pages.) That's one of the things I love about Traditional Medicine, the work can be built upon and refined, but the old information is still valid unlike conventional medicine. I had a friend who went to medical school and was told (paraphrased): "Half of what we will teach you is correct, the problem is we don't know which half!" When I get around to reading more, if I change my mind in any way, I will edit this review.

One other thing I question is the ability of Daniel Edwards to copyright this work... I am not an expert on copyright, and my expert is unavailable at the moment, but it seems to me that this is the work of the original author from 1894 unchanged. Otherwise, it seems to me, one could copy the Mona Lisa and attempt to hold copyright... I kinda doubt it.

Permaculture Playing Cards
Permaculture Playing Cards
Offered by CollectorsPlayingCards
Price: $19.95
6 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, artistic and useful (playable) cards! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!, September 6, 2014
This review is from: Permaculture Playing Cards (Toy)
These cards are just wonderful! They fit my hand perfectly (anatomy dependent, ymmv). The artwork on the face of the cards is striking and it and the typeface perfectly match the theme. The coating and cardstock weight makes these cards feel like they will last a long time. The information on each subject is brief enough to learn easily and in-depth enough that even someone well versed in permaculture... well, culture, will have the occasional "light bulb moment."

Filed under "nothing's perfect" I have one complaint: The weight of the box seems inadequate even after only a couple day's light use. I have opened the box maybe 6 to 8 times and carried it around for two days so as to show some friends my new toy; I already feel the box is beginning to show wear and especially in the folds of the tongue of the box, (where you open to access cards,) is feeling a little fragile. The cards themselves are so impressive, I can't bring myself to strike a star. But I would heartily ask that the creators provide a tin box like old fashioned cards used to have (I would have been happy to pay for that in the cost of the deck, and even now would buy one as an add-on item.) Otherwise, I can't recommend these wonderful cards highly enough. Now, as I don't play normal card games, I am in search of a cartomancy method of using them, but that's a different review.

The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook: Plainly Delicious Recipes from the Simple Life
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Amish? Not really what I think of when I think "Amish food", September 5, 2014
By page 19 I had already run into: Shortening, Velveeta, vegetable oil, frozen hashbrowns, and Tater Tots.

Not what I think of as "Amish" nor even "traditional' food or ingredients; no aspersions against the author's spiritual path if she is really Amish, of course. And sad experience in Amish geographical areas tells me that the Amish might indeed have been seduced into these disease promoting products from from the "English" Universe.

Can I re-engineer these recipes to use really traditional, unprocessed, health-promoting ingredients? Of course. But I really don't feel that I should have to given that this is billed as "Amish" thereby implying that these recipes are traditional and made of real food. Two stars instead of one because some of the recipes are quite old and also pretty Deutsch and are therefore worth some interest, even if they might have to be re-engineered a bit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2014 5:18 PM PST

Scotch Freezer Tape, 3/4 x 1000 Inch (178)
Scotch Freezer Tape, 3/4 x 1000 Inch (178)
Price: $5.59
29 used & new from $1.34

2.0 out of 5 stars How Disappointing! Much thinner and less sturdy than before..., August 19, 2014
I was traveling and had to make up and label some homeopathic remedies on the fly. I have often used freezer tape for that purpose and many other non-freezer labeling purposes; it's long been one of the usual items in the large first aid kit I keep in the car. Freezer tape along with a Sharpie used to be able to label almost anything. Someone had robbed it out of my kit, so I stopped and bought a new roll. I was aghast to discover the quality has plummeted dramatically! I suspect it's half as thick and sturdy as that which I bought about 6 months ago! Such a disappointment! I am going to try Duck brand Duck Brand 280124 Write-On Freezer Tape, 3/4-Inch by 30-Yard, Single Roll, White and hope they have not succumbed to ruining the quality of their product like Scotch brand has.

SELF-REALIZATION IN 21 DAYS: A Guide to a True Spiritual Enlightenment
SELF-REALIZATION IN 21 DAYS: A Guide to a True Spiritual Enlightenment
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dalai Lama is "mistaken"? I am skeptical., July 14, 2014
The Dalai Lama is "mistaken"? I'm skeptical.

Interesting book. The author outlines his two experiences with Kundalini awakening; whether these events led to a true spiritual Awakening, I don't know, partly because I have not yet finished the book but also because I am not sure it's possible to judge another's state from a book.

At first blush this book reminds me of Path Notes of an American Ninja Master, by Sifu Glenn Morris, PhD, which is another tale of spiritual searching and Kundalini awakening with an added measure of Ninjitsu thrown in as the cherry on top.

In this book, author Thom outlines the biographies and experiences of many previous spiritual masters from Siddhartha Buddha up to Mathieu Ricard, scientist,Tibetan Buddhist monk and consciousness researcher (or maybe "research subject" would be a better description.) And Thom says basically, "They got it wrong." This includes the Dalai Lama who Thom says is "mistaken."

HH The Dalai Lama would himself say that if we find our understanding has been in error, we must adopt the new view. I am deeply skeptical; I have great reverence and respect for HHDL and find it hard to believe that one with such long experience, education and realization is mistaken. Nevertheless, following the Teachings of HHDL, I do my best to practice non-attachment and non-judgment and as I led off with, this book is interesting so I will keep reading.

I have decided on 4 stars because I think it's important to have one's beliefs challenged. This book does that for me and it's interesting enough to keep me reading. Not 5 stars, because I am still so very skeptical and author Thom has not yet converted me to his point of view. That and the title... it may seem petty, but I really dislike the all CAPS, screaming, title SELF-REALIZATION IN 21 DAYS! and the subtitle, The Astounding Secret to True Spiritual Enlightenment. Titles like this smack of late night info-mercials and Multi Level Marketing schemes. Surely an True Enlightened Master could pick a compelling title that was a little less used cars.

If I change my mind on the stars either way, I will edit this review to reflect the change.

Under the endless sky. A thousand days of sea, adventure, and freedom: around the world on a sailboat.
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful adventure with Carlo and Elisabetta, April 26, 2014
Read it straight through in one sitting! Not to say that it's short, (Amazon says 256 pages) but rather that it was so compelling... perfect, in fact. Beautiful, lyrical prose in English so fluent as to humble poor nearly monolingual me. Makes me want to find a reasonable boat and leave tomorrow; makes me think that could even be possible. Yes, the voyage was decades ago so some of the details must be outdated, and no there's not a lot of technical information as other reviewers have noted, but it's a wonderful memoir that made me feel like I accompanied Carlo and Elisabetta on their maiden circumnavigation. Highly recommended when you find yourself yearning for the sound of the sea slipping past your hull or the caress of the soft, Southern Pacific breezes against your cheek.

Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties
Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties
by Marianthi Milona
20 used & new from $17.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trip back to Greece! I love it!, March 5, 2014
I just got my copy of this wonderful cookbook and I LOVE IT! It is broken down by region: Athens, Attica and Central Greece, The Peloponnese, Ionian Islands, Epirus, Thessaly, Sproades, Chalkidiki, Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Thrace, North Aegean Islands, The Cyclades, Dodecanese, Crete, and finally Cyprus.

The way most of the recipes are presented is within a monograph about a particular ingredient; first there's an essay on the ingredient and then a recipe or three at the end. This produces a book that's a treat to read just for entertainment and also seems to work well for recipes since there's a good index in the back of the book. There are wonderful pictures... some of the countryside, people, ingredients all of which are really fun, but importantly, there's a lot of pictures of finished dishes accompanying the recipes. With foreign cuisine, that's so important.

I believe that someone completely unfamiliar with Greek cuisine could produce most of the recipes satisfactorily from the information, pictures and recipes in this lovely book. However, on the date of my review there is one four-star review (all the rest are fives) that cautions that the reviewer has had problems with every single recipe she has tried. It sounds like the problems she has had could be overcome if one has sufficient general cooking knowledge, but I appreciated the "heads up!" Unfortunately, I have not yet cooked from one of the recipes, but I will soon and report back by editing this review.

Easy Cheesecakes: Recipes and Principles for Making Perfect Cheesecakes
Easy Cheesecakes: Recipes and Principles for Making Perfect Cheesecakes
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy indepth cheesecake education, February 28, 2014
This is a short little book packed with lots of important information for the budding cheesecake baker. The author outlines 8 important principles to keep in mind when perfecting the baking of cheesecake... and not just the how, but most importantly the why. When you understand the "why" about a principle, you can more easily master the art and then move on to your own creative recipe development.

Then there are a few classic cheesecake variation recipes, along with a few different crust suggestions. Not everyone will find their favorite cheesecake variation in this small cookbook, but if you master the principles as outlined in this book, you can take any old recipe from the internet and assure yourself of success.

This book was free to me today, but the regular price is listed as $2.99. A good value, I think, especially if you are relatively new to the art of baking cheesecakes.

Stop Using using Almond Flour in Cooking. Why It's Harmful and Where to Find Better Alternatives.
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Points worth thinking about, in moderation, February 10, 2014
Ms Cree presents 5 points about almonds that she believes makes almond flour a poor choice for baked goods and maybe more. I see her points, but I still believe that almonds are a fine food, as flour or anything else. As one other reviewer pointed out, moderation is important, in all things.

I do want to address one of Ms Cree's specific replacement recommendations though: sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds may not be totally benign either; they are estrogenic and high in phytoestrogens. Therefore they may be contraindicated to persons who have, or have a tendency towards, conditions that estrogen exacerbates.... like some cancers. Or they may be recommended, depending on the situation. Again, moderation! And do your diligent research for your own particular situation and concerns. (BTW, there are a lot of other common foods that are estrogenic, (and as such, may be bad or good depending) I do not list them here so as not to add to the immoderate fear-inducing information.)

This is a very short "book"... more of a pamphlet really and it was free to me on the day I downloaded it. On the date of this review, it's listed as $0.99. While I have never seen these five points innumerated together anywhere else, and they may be worth taking into consideration depending on one's own personal situation, I am having a hard time seeing this as worth $0.99. If Ms Cree is as passionate about informing everyone about the possible downsides to consuming almonds in large quantity as the tone of this book makes it appear, perhaps she should consider offering this Kindle book for free permanently as the author of The Porridge Book does.

ALL THE FOREGOING IS OFFERED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE... should you be in need of medical advice, you must consult your medical health services provider and not rely upon the foregoing or anything else you read on the internet!

Okay, so... You're Fat... Now let's do something about it.
Okay, so... You're Fat... Now let's do something about it.
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A stern but funny message from your Dutch Aunt Weight-Loss Fairy, February 10, 2014
WARNING: If you are easily offended by foul language--lots of foul language--you really better skip this book! If you need to be treated sensitively and told your fat is not your fault, this is not your book. Otherwise, it's a quick, funny, informative, motivating read.

While I disagree with the author on some of the nuts and bolts of weight-loss strategies, I found her Take-No-Prisoners and Quit-Ur-Whining philosophy refreshing... and funny... really funny in some places (although it did seem a wee bit strained in others.) I suspect it might be helpful for some people to think about their situation in her terms.

Personally, from my research and experience, I would couple this book's motivation philosophy with a more low-carb possibly paleo eating plan than the author recommends. If that interests you, there's quite a few good books and (free) blogs on the subject. Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades (of the book Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health-in Just Weeks!) have a blog entry about how to start or re-start a low-carb lifestyle plan, dated 5 Jan 2014. Just google their names and the word "blog" without the quotes to find it, then page back through the entries by date. If you do this, you might also go back to 15 Dec 2013 and look for the entry about the 8 blogs Dr. Mike always reads and the comments about more. Those blogs, that Dr. Mike reads, are for people seeking deep detail about low carb and fat-loss metabolism though, so be warned, you're gonna hit a lot of science there, but also a lot of layman level information that could be quite helpful on your journey to goal.

If you liked the style of this book, and you'd like a quick start that does not include a lot of science, I recommend you take a look at Kick Your Fat in the Nuts. If you add this motivation philosophy book to that low carb eating-plan book, you can hardly help but have a fire lit under your a$$ to dive into your weight loss program with real effing motivation!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7