Profile for PT Cruiser > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PT Cruiser RSS Feed (West Coast)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kocaso KMINI  7.9-Inch 8 GB Tablet
Kocaso KMINI 7.9-Inch 8 GB Tablet
Price: $115.99
3 used & new from $102.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size and great performance, October 21, 2014
This 7.9 inch KMini is the perfect size to take along. It fits into my briefcase, purse or backpack. The screen is easy to read with 1024X600 pixels resolution and the colors are vibrant. It has a 1.2 GHz A-Series Quad-Core A8 processor and 1 GB of SDRAM. It was easy to connect to my home WIFI network and the speeds have been great. I have been averaging 50 - 60 Mbps download speeds and 11 - 12 Mbps upload speeds. It runs on the 4.2 (Jelly Bean) Android operating system which has all kinds of nice features. I entered my password to sign into the Google store and downloaded a few apps that I use. It comes with browser, email, OfficeSuite Pro, Adobe Reader, Calendar, Calcultor, Google Maps and several other games and apps. I downloaded the Kindle Reader and have access to all my books on the Amazon Cloud or to download. Since I buy almost all of my music from Amazon these days, I downloaded the Amazon Music Player so I can access my music and use the tablet's Bluetooth to listen to music on my Bluetooth speakers or headphones. Movies and youtube videos work very well.

This Kocaso tablet comes with a plug in wall charger, a micro to USB cable for connecting to a computer (Don't try to use this for charging, you need to use the wall charger.) a micro USB to female USB for extending a USB cable, earphones, a stylus, a screen protector and a storage pouch. I discovered that a Belkin iPad case that I have fits this tablet very well except that I have to take it off to charge it because it covers the charging port. But the camera opening and other ports are in the right places.

This tablet has a capacitive touchscreen which is sensitive to both fingers and the included stylus. Scrolling is smooth and speedy. It has a front and rear facing camera and video but the resolution is only 2 MP so they aren't as sharp as most cell phones or digital cameras are these days. (Although I can remember a time not so long ago when I would have thought that resolution was amazing.) So it's fine for everyday, but you'll probably want to use something better for vacation pictures. The battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours depending on what it's being used for. Lately my two other family members have been using it when I put it down and not keeping track of the battery time so I will update when I have a more accurate idea.

This tablet has 8 GB of memory but I plan on using an SDHC card like this SanDisk 32GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDB-032G-AFFP (Label May Change) to add a bunch more memory. It can accommodate up to 32 additional GB. I like the idea that memory can be added.

This tablet is a very good buy at a much more reasonable cost than some of the popular tablets these days. The performance is very good and the Android operating system has some very nice features.
I received a sample of this tablet for review purposes.

Netgear AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter High Gain Dual Band USB 3.0 (A6210-100PAS)
Netgear AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter High Gain Dual Band USB 3.0 (A6210-100PAS)
Price: $69.99
31 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes my laptop connection even faster, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our router is an NETGEAR AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000) and it's very fast to begin with but I wanted to see if it would improve the speed on our laptop that has only the 802.11n rather than the 802.11ac like the router. There was definitely an increase in speed, even though we had very good performance with just the router. The speed increased about 10 mbps to an average of about 90 - 100 mbps download speeds. It can vary a lot during the day depending on how busy the netwoek is at the time. Still, that amount of speed is noticeable.

It was easy to set up. I used the install disc that came with it and the drivers and software installed in just a few minutes. Then I plugged this adaptor into the laptop and I was set. (It's important not to plug in in until the software from the disc finishes installing.) It can be plugged directly into a 2.0 or 3.0 USB slot or you can use the cable and dock combination that's included. It has a fold down antennae which can be tilted somewhhat to get the best signal. It didn't seem to matter much which way I tilted it though because it was fast in any position. I'm very happy with both this adapter and with the Nighthawk router. It's been the best experience I've had so far with both speed and stability on our internet connection. The technology never ceases to amaze me.

Classic Brands Defend-A-Bed Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector, Queen Size
Classic Brands Defend-A-Bed Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector, Queen Size
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits mattresses up to 22 inches deep, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This mattress pad gives great protection against moisture and dust mites and will fit most mattresses, even those with pillow tops. The sides have a generous 22 inch depth that covered our pillow top queen sized mattress with an extra foam topper. It's easy to put on, pretty much just like a fitted sheet. It has soft terry cloth on one side and a plastic type, waterproof material on the other. This is nothing like the old fashioned types of waterproof sheets that used to crinkle when you'd lie down on them. These feel soft and are silent. The material is thinner than other mattress covers I've owned, but it's also easier to put on the bed. Since it goes under the sheets it shouldn't get too much wear and tear on it.

Considering the cost of mattresses these days, especially the foam type, I think it's important to use a mattress pad. With pets that often spend time on the bed and with us sometimes drinking coffee in bed in the morning, it's too easy to spill or for the pets to have an accident. A mattress pad like this gives us peace of mind and most of the time we don't even though it's there.

1Byone® Power Cover For iPhone5 & 5s. Apple MFI-Certified 2400mAh Charger & Case, Rechargeable & Portable Extended Life Backup Power Bank for Locked or Unlocked Iphone5 & 5s. (Compatible with Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile, AT&T Wireless).Original Apple 8Pin Connector & Battery, iOS 7+ Compatible. Gold#0273
Offered by 1byone
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $28.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A battery back-up right on my iPhone, October 15, 2014
This is a very handy back up battery because it lives right on the back of my iPhone 5S. It's easy to install, just plug the phone into the back and choose one of the rims, ether the clear or the gold color. (I like the clear the best.) All of the ports remained unblocked and easy to get to. It even has a little pop out stand on the back which is handy when watching videos. It comes with a micro mini charging cable, but it's quite short so I just use one of my own. When charging, I just plug in the case and it charges both the phone and the case. The gold color is nice because it matches my phone. I had a similar one for years for my 4s and really liked it. I'm not always good about remembering to charge my phone so this is great. It gives me another couple of charges after my phone goes dead. I just push a button on the bottom of this case and the iPhone starts to charge. I can talk on the phone, listen to music or do whatever while it's charging. It's seamless.

I guess the disadvantage would be that it adds some weight and bulk to my otherwise sleek phone. But it does have a nice look, and for me the extra battery life far outweighs the little bit of extra weight on the phone. Although it's a case, it's rigid and I don't think it offers a whole lot of protection if it were to be dropped although it does provide protection against scratches on the back and sides.

I was provided with a sample for testing and review.

Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps, 8-Count
Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps, 8-Count
Offered by Fat Boy Tools
Price: $6.50
33 used & new from $1.19

2.0 out of 5 stars They leak, October 15, 2014
These lids fit a wide mouth Mason jar but they aren't water tight. If you put liquid in the jar and seal it with this lid, then shake it, it will leak. If the jar is turned on its side it will also leak. So if you are storing something that needs to be airtight or watertight, these lids won't work. I should have read more of the reviews before purchasing.

Finding Jake: A Novel
Finding Jake: A Novel
by Bryan Reardon
Price: $19.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and intense, October 15, 2014
This review is from: Finding Jake: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was drawn into this novel to the point where I could barely put it down after reading the first five pages. Bryan Reardon takes the reader inside the brain of Simon Connolly, a stay-at-home dad, father to Jake and his younger sister, Laney, and husband of Rachel, a successful lawyer. It's written in the first person. Simon's words make him a believable character who struggles with worrying too much about his children and worrying that he's doing what is best for them. As the story goes on, his intense love for his family becomes very evident. The shooting at the school happens several pages in and the following chapters go back and forth between the aftermath of the shooting and Jake at various stages of his life, beginning before his birth. That's all I'm going to say about the events that unfold because I don't want to give away any part of this well written story.

School shootings that we read about in the news are horrifying. Reardon does an amazing job of bringing the reader into the lives of this family and the absolutely devastating effect it has on them. The story is as much about Simon as it is about Jake. There were times while reading that I felt almost like I couldn't breathe because of the raw intensity of emotions. I was moved to tears at times. He tells about what we don't see on the news or read in the papers. I may have chosen this book out of some type of morbid curiosity about these situations, but that quickly turned to empathy for the characters. And although this is a novel, it reads very much like a true account. There is no flowery literary prose here. Simon Connolly's character speaks like a real guy with a few rough edges and a lot of raw honest emotion. This is a story I won't forget.

Flip-It! Deluxe Cap Kit
Flip-It! Deluxe Cap Kit
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy way to use up that last little bit, October 14, 2014
This review is from: Flip-It! Deluxe Cap Kit (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the idea of these Flip It! Caps. They allow me to get that last little bit of soap, lotion or syrup out of a bottle that is almost empty. This kit comes with a purple base cap which is the foundation of the system and has the largest opening which fits onto any standard 38mm bottle thread. It has a push/pull valve to stop/start the flow of liquid from the bottle. The kit comes with 6 of these and with 2 each of the 33, 28 and 24mm sized adaptors along with gaskets. I used one on a bottle of lotion that only had a bit left and it worked pretty well. I used another on a bottle of syrup that also worked well. I was going to try it on some ketchup bottles but then realized the two I had were already in bottles that stand upside-down in the frig. I was able to use it to empty the last bit of a molasses sauce into a new bottle of the same, one bottle on top of the other. But this is where I wished the little tripod legs were a bit further spaced or that there were 4 legs instead of 3 because the bottles tipped rather easily even though most of the weight was on the bottom. Still, I think this is a useful product that will get a lot more use in the future.

Kombucha Revolution: 75 Recipes for Homemade Brews, Fixers, Elixirs, and Mixers
Kombucha Revolution: 75 Recipes for Homemade Brews, Fixers, Elixirs, and Mixers
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kreative Kombucha Recipes, October 13, 2014
Stephan Lee, cofounder of Tazo Tea, Stash Tea and Kombucha Wonder Drink, shares some of his favorite ways to enjoy kombucha besides just drinking it as is after brewing. Who knew there were so many things one could do with this brew of tea, sugar and water, fermented with the help of a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) that can be made at home? I bought the Kindle version which included some nice photographs along with the recipes. The recipes themselves are very clear and easy to follow. He also includes a recipe for the basic kombucha along with simple instructions. I had never even heard of Kombusha before a few months ago when I was reading an article on probiotics where it was mentioned. I found some in a local grocery store, purchased a bottle, and loved the sweet/tart flavor right away. After buying a few more bottles I decided to try making it myself and have been doing it ever since. I wanted some more ideas on how to flavor it, which is why I purchased this book. I found all sorts of ideas beyond just flavors, such as adding it to smoothies, using it in desserts, cocktails and letting it ferment a little longer and making kombucha vinegar and salad dressings.

I found this book very useful, not only for the creative recipe ideas but because he gave me lots of ideas of other things to try, ways to "think out of the bottle" so to speak. His writing is clear and to the point and entertaining to read. I found it more helpful to have a lot of ideas in one place rather than having to search around the Internet. This is not your mother's kombucha cookbook!

Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite
Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite
by Suki Kim
Price: $15.18
43 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating memoir, October 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Suri Kim takes us within the mysterious borders of North Korea, which to most of us is a black hole other than the occasional news story of nuclear tests and sanctions placed against the country and it's rulers. Kim is a Korean American who left Korea with her parents at the age of 13, but who has traveled around the world both in her studies and writing articles for various news outlets. She lives in Manhatten now. Kim has been traveling to North Korea since 2002 and also spent time traveling in South Korea as an adult. She's a very good writer who drew me in right away.

It was sad to read about how alienated the students and others living in the country were from the outside world. No internet, virtually no TV except for propaganda features about the "fearless leader". Her students were starved for any news from the outside world but were prohibited from asking relevant questions. It was almost as if they have the script of questions that they were allowed to ask. They were all friendly and eager to learn. Her memoir tells of their progression during the 6 months she was there. Since she was pretty much confined to the school and the grounds and everything was suspected of being bugged, it was difficult to find out about what was going on in the rest of the country other than what her students could tell her. Even so, getting a peek into this place where few are allowed to come or go, was a very interesting and worthwhile read.

Hose Nozzle Sprayer for Home or Garden - 10 Spray Patterns - Quality Build - Comfortable - Strong and Safe - Easy Water Saving Flow Control - Soft Hand Grip - Modern Design - Best New Materials Used - For All Your Watering Needs - Warranty Guarantee - by Royal Hold - BRAND NEW Product on the Market
Offered by Royal Hold
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful construction and comfortable grip, October 10, 2014
Hose nozzle's don't have to be attractive to be functional but it doesn't hurt. This is one good looking hose nozzle with its turquoise trim on the black background. It is comfortable to hold and is ergonomicly designed so it remains comfortable in my hand even for long periods of time. One of my favorite things about this nozzle is the lever on top that is easily accessible with my thumb that controls the stream of water from low to high without having to hold down a button or lever. It has 10 different spray settings and the names are written clearly in white on the black so it's easy to see even in bright sunlight. Switching sprays is easy and when you switch from one to another you hear a definite click, letting you know it's locked into place.

My other favorite thing about this nozzle is that it doesn't leak.The threads look like stainless steel and the nozzle screws onto the hose easily. This is one of the few nozzles were I don't end up getting sprayed with water as I move the hose around and change position. The grip is non-slip and it's easy to hold in my hand even when it's wet. This nozzle might be a little bit more expensive but it seems to be worth it because of the high quality build and materials. I think it will last for a long time.
Simple received for review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20