Profile for nwest > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

nwest RSS Feed (Utah)

Pilot: A Study in Pink [HD]
Pilot: A Study in Pink [HD]
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pilot, January 19, 2014
A true Sherlock fan has seen every episode. INCLUDING the unaired pilot. On its own, its not as good as the final, released version of "A Study in Pink." But it's close. You can tell they're still trying to find their feet, and it's entertaining to look for all the differences between this and the aired version.

First off, it's just under an hour, as opposed to the usual 90 minutes. Because of this, there are whole pieces of the story that feel a bit rushed. Some of the actors are different, but on the whole, it's not too extremely different from the aired version. It's like watching the same story from a different angle.

I do prefer the aired version, but this pilot could stand on its own, and is easily better than most American shows I've seen.

The Hidden World
The Hidden World
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent puzzle game! If you like Myst or Quest games, check this out., October 11, 2013
This review is from: The Hidden World (App)
Fire Maple makes the best puzzle/adventure games I've found so far. I've tried others in the genre, and they can't hold a candle to Fire Maple's excellent games. Great puzzles that aren't too hard but not too easy either. And if you get stuck, there's a handy help system which doesn't force itself on you like other games. But it's there if you need it. The puzzles are well-designed, the art is beautiful, and the sound is immersive. It's a steal at 99 cents.

I grew up playing all the great adventure games, like King's Quest, Space Quest, Monkey Island, etc. Mosaika's puzzles remind me a lot of those games, but the gameplay style more closely resembles Myst than the quest games.

The game looks gorgeous on my Kindle Fire HD.

This is the kind of game you can play in bursts whenever you get a couple minutes of free time. It starts up quickly, and always saves your progress.

I also highly recommend The Lost City and The Secret of Grisly Manor, also by Fire Maple. Once you start playing these games, you'll soon have them all beat, and you'll find yourself waiting for the next release (as I have) from Fire Maple.

2010 (Space Odyssey)
2010 (Space Odyssey)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, July 27, 2013
I like Clarke's realistic scientifically based writing style. One of my new favorite authors. He really does his research. Good book.

Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
by Dan Ariely
Price: $10.26
215 used & new from $3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars This book blew my mind. Everyone should read this!, April 9, 2013
I see the world very differently now after having read this book. There is a myth that we've accepted that we are in control of our destiny. I personally believe in free will, but I also believe there is a lot that we think is free will, but is actually the wiring of our brains that causes us to act the way we do. And only by recognizing the pitfalls of the human mind can we actually exercise our free will to overcome them. I also recommend You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney for a lot more irrational things we do and why.

VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (2013 Model)
Offered by WHAT YOU WANT & FAST
Price: $1,180.00
9 used & new from $650.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for a great TV., October 22, 2012
This TV is a steal for the money. It's HUGE! I love the smart apps. I was a little worried about getting a Vizio, but it's under $1000, and I decided to go for it. I haven't been disappointed. It's not perfect, but I knew I wouldn't find a perfect 60in LED with smart apps for under $1000.

Pros:
It's BIG!
It's cheap!
Extremely light for such a big TV
Small bezel
Extremely thin
Edge-lit LED
Smart apps, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. (app bar is accessible without interrupting the show)
Built in WiFi (easy to setup)
Exhaustive, easy-to-use color settings
Full keyboard on back of the remote (for web apps)
Amazing HD picture over HDMI
Great sound
Lots of inputs

Cons: (These are ALL of the minor annoyances I've found, but I still don't regret my choice)
Noise artifacts over component cable (720P) - just switch to HDMI to fix this
Takes 8-10 seconds to turn on
Remote is not back-lit. Can be hard to use in a dark room.
Minor uniformity issues.
Base does not swivel.
Black levels can't compete with the higher end models, but still better than my older Samsung.
No built-in calibration tools
Smoothing makes movies look like soap operas. Luckily, this can be reduced or turned off.

All in all, I love the TV. I made a great purchase decision. With an extra $500, I may have been able to find a Samsung with the same feature set, but then it probably would have its own list of annoyances too. Not worth it. Just get this one.