Profile for Robyn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robyn RSS Feed

Britax EZ-Cling Sun Shades, Black, 2 Count
Britax EZ-Cling Sun Shades, Black, 2 Count
Price: $9.52
23 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, August 26, 2013
I have no complaints about this product. It's nothing special, but works just fine. I would buy the product again

Yongnuo YN-467 Flash Speedlite Dedicated E-TTL for Canon DSLR Cameras
Yongnuo YN-467 Flash Speedlite Dedicated E-TTL for Canon DSLR Cameras
Offered by King Toys Store
Price: $102.95
5 used & new from $55.00

1.0 out of 5 stars White powder leaking out of battery slot, August 26, 2013
I purchased this as a cheap flash and was happy with the purchase. However, 6 weeks after I started using it, a grey/white powder started leaking out from the battery slot. It's not coming from the batteries, so I can only imagine the insides are wasting away.

Stay away.

Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life
Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life
by Nick Vujicic
Price: $17.22
203 used & new from $0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ridiculously Inspirational Read, July 17, 2011
This book was an inspiration to me. A quote from the first chapter of the book explains his outlook on life: "I'm officially disabled, but I'm truly enabled because of my lack of limbs." This is the story of the life of a man born with no arms, no legs, just one little "chicken drumstick" as he refers to his small left foot. He describes his parents' anguish at his birth, his despair and why God would allow him to be like this, to him nearly committing suicide as a 10 year old. Through these dark times in his life, he gained important insights that would benefit his life and his ministry. He says about his childhood: "Back then I was relying only on what I could see. I was focused on my limitations rather than on my possibilities."

One thing that I really enjoyed about this book is Nick's sense of humor. He seems to have the most amazing skill at turning embarrassment into comedy. He talks about his cousins taking him to the mall, and how they would set him in a window display where he would make faces at people window-shopping, just for a laugh -- and how they would leave him for a minute, then come up and make fun of him just to see the horrified expressions on other shoppers. This sense of humor is what keeps the book moving and entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect.

Nick helped me realize, through this book, that the only thing stopping me from being useful and enjoying my life is...myself, and the limits that I put on myself. No longer do I have any excuses to feel sorry for me. Nick has proven that, despite many "limitations", one can be unlimited in the life that they live. I highly recommend this book.

Disclaimer: I received this book for from the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for a review.

The Ale Boy's Feast: A Novel (The Auralia Thread)
The Ale Boy's Feast: A Novel (The Auralia Thread)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Yet Confusing Read, March 25, 2011
The Ale Boy's Feast: I read this book without reading any of the (apparently 3) preceding books in the series. I was confused for about half of the book, as it seemed to just be bringing more and more characters into a very intricate story, yet not actually concluding or explaining anything. (a lot of "getting" the book seems to rely on inference) I read the book through twice before reviewing it to be sure I was providing an accurate glimpse of the book. I wish I had a chance to read the first 3 books in this series, to be able to better understand what is going on: I feel that as a stand-alone book, it doesn't really work. It begins with confusion and many, many, loose ends, and I am afraid it ends with quite a few loose ends, or at least unclear statements (as a reader I'm not at all sure what Overstreet meant in some of the concluding comments by character's in the book). I assumed when I finished that there would be a sequel, but this appears to be the final in the series.

The story in this book is of Rescue, the Ale Boy who has fallen into a crevasse along an underground river, though unstitched by the Northchildren, was called back into the world to finish what he had begun: the rescue of the people of Abascar. With the help of the (former?) beastman Jordam, Rescue finds and starts the journey of leading the Abascar people into a new life. Outside the river, Cal-Raven, the king of former Abascar, struggles to find a place to bring his people, with the help of the mage Scharr ben Fray: seeking a new life in the nearly lost legends of dreams and mystery: a Keeper, an ancient lost city named Inius Throan. Auralia, who apparently knows the truths of many of these stories, has lost much of her memory.

The writing is beautiful: full of intricate, descriptive word pictures. However, it feels like the world created in this book is so different from "our" world, that it is an overwhelming amount to take in. There were so many characters, so many intricate characters, that it felt like a book needed to be written on each of them. I enjoyed the descriptions and the writer's imagination, but felt like so much more could have been said. I am not at all sure what the part of Auralia was in this story, besides apparently being quite revered by all, for her "colors" and "paintings" -- this was not drawn out or explained like I wish it had been.

While reading this book, I was certain that it would wrap up in a big analogy: some of the storylines just seemed to fit into this possibility... but it didn't.

All in all, I found this a fascinating read. On its own though, I don't recommend it. I was disappointed with the many loose ends I felt like still remained at the end of the book. I don't know if I would recommend it in a series, since I haven't read the other books: I imagine it would make much more sense in a set, though I still can't see it actually "wrapping up" a series: I guess there needs to be a 5th book.

I received this book free from Multnomah Publisher's in exchange for a fair and honest review. This is also the reason I didn't get a chance to read the first 3: when I ordered it I didn't realize it was part of a set.

The Charlatan's Boy: A Novel
The Charlatan's Boy: A Novel
by Jonathan Rogers
Price: $13.15
107 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Funny, Far-Fetched, and Feechieful, February 24, 2011
Grady, the narrator and main character of the story, has grown up knowing nothing but life acting as a "he-feechie" under "Professor Floyd" - they have traveled from city to city drawing audiences and making money through the Feechiefen Business. Eventually though, enthusiasm --even for Real Live He-Feechies!-- dwindles to nothing. Grady searches for fulfillment through other "acts" he and Floyd take on, but never really feels as if he belongs, he never really feels loved. The book is full of the excitement and adventure of "charlatans" seeking "good business", but surprisingly, it is through that that Brady finally discovers where he belongs. The last chapter gives a surprise twist to shock its readers, so don't read that chapter first if you want to enjoy this book!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to children without a disclaimer: throughout the different "business ventures" he and Floyd take on, Grady excuses [nearly] every lie that was told as necessary, or just disregards that it even is a lie. There are many wrong things that both Floyd and Grady do, that should not have been excused without consequence. However, I did enjoy this book, and do recommend it as entertainment, as it is a highly enjoyable and amusing read.

Endnote: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

Thirty-One Days of Drawing Near to God: Resting Securely in His Delight
Thirty-One Days of Drawing Near to God: Resting Securely in His Delight
by Ruth Myers
Price: $10.87
78 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A Qualified and Relevant Devotional, February 3, 2011
I selected this book to review to challenge myself towards a deeper relationship with God. The back of the book claims that it will help you to "Experience lavish love, astounding mercy--and an intimacy more satisfying than you'd ever thought possible. Draw near to God, and He'll draw near to you." While I have only read through the book once (so far) in an effort to learn about and review it (I plan to use this as my personal devotional this next month), I was surprised and pleased by what I read. The first part of the book gives a short biography of Ruth: including the tragedy of her first husband died of cancer while she was still a young mother and bride. Through that trial (and many others) she developed an intimate and real relationship with this Jesus, the lover of her soul. It is only because of this personal experience that she is qualified to write this book. I was very impressed with her genuine love for the Lord, and the practical ways she wants her reader to experience that same love. The book is full of verses and passages from the Bible--interwoven with her thoughts about those verses. I appreciate this aspect in a devotional, since so many times they seem like a personal opinion piece for the day, instead of an actual Biblical truth. At the end of each day, she suggests a list of verses to read, and gives space to write down the verse or phrase that "helps you most". I was encouraged through what I have read so far, and highly recommend this a devotional.