Profile for notmicro > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

notmicro "notmicro" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
GustBuster Metro 43-Inch Automatic Umbrella
GustBuster Metro 43-Inch Automatic Umbrella
Price: $32.95 - $40.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry that I purchased it unseen, October 24, 2013
I purchased this sight-unseen, due to rave reviews I'd noticed recently in several usually reliable places. If I had tried this in person before purchasing, I never would have bought it. Now I'm trying to decide whether to go through the hassle of returning it, or give it as an Xmas gift.

I find it unusable because it is surprisingly heavy and the tiny handle makes it quite difficult to carry and control. I can't begin to imagine dealing with it in a windy rainstorm. I've been using a series of ShedRain Umbrellas Windjammer Vented Auto Open Auto Close Folding Umbrellas, which are lighter and have an ergonomic handle, and it looks like I'll be sticking to them.

Incase CL69050 Snap Case iPhone 5 Clear
Incase CL69050 Snap Case iPhone 5 Clear
Offered by Bargains AAA
Price: $16.99
14 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love mine, April 14, 2013
But note that I purchased mine at an Apple Store, and paid full list price. This type of item generally isn't discounted much if at all, and I would be very leery of a suspiciously low price.

I don't beat my phones up, and thought that I'd enjoy this "clear" option over a black rubberized one or whatever; I was right. Note that its possible to insert a small photo or whatever in the back of the clear case, and "pimp your iPhone".

"Louie Louie" and the History of Northwest Rock & Radio
"Louie Louie" and the History of Northwest Rock & Radio
DVD ~ Jerry Dennon
Price: $17.99
16 used & new from $9.69

2.0 out of 5 stars What a mess, October 22, 2012
Wow I'm glad I only rented this - I'd be furious if I'd paid actual money for it! Its like some computer-illiterate old guy was messing around on his new computer, fiddling with organizing old film clips and photos, and accidentally burned them to a DVD which somebody then mistakenly boxed up and sold. The mish-mash of content is STRICTLY of interest to people born in the very early 1950s and earlier, who have fond memories of Seattle's early rock radio scene, but its going to be frustrating for them because it does such a poor job of covering this magical era.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack)
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack)
DVD ~ Kirk Douglas
Price: $11.98
24 used & new from $7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Rating poor-quality Blu-ray, October 19, 2012
Unfortunately the Blu-ray released in 2012 isn't very good. Its been scanned from not-great prints from the Library of Congress, and then digitally cleaned up a tiny bit, but the result is not remotely up to the level of, say, recent B&W Blu-ray releases of Casablanca or All About Eve. Apparently Paramount itself owns better prints, so in theory there could someday be a better version than this.

Aladdin 20-Ounce To Go Tumbler, Clear
Aladdin 20-Ounce To Go Tumbler, Clear
Price: $12.99
6 used & new from $10.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I purchased it, October 4, 2012
I wanted a Venti-sized tumbler with straw, for sipping ice water at work at my desk. I expected to pick one up from Starbucks, but they weren't available; apparently they come and go there, or are seasonal or something. So I searched around online and homed in on this item, and ordered it. So far its fine, and I like that the straw can't fall out backwards. The only annoyance is that the lip of the straw is rather sharp where the tube has been cut; they should have done something to smooth it off a bit - I may try it with some emery paper or something.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 1:07 PM PDT

A Star is Born (Kino Classics Edition) [Blu-ray]
A Star is Born (Kino Classics Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Janet Gaynor
Price: $15.47
26 used & new from $10.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray is a big disappointment, May 17, 2012
The Blu-ray doesn't look much better to me than previous DVD releases I've seen, which isn't saying much, and is a shame. Its been transferred from an available print, but not "restored", just cleaned up somewhat. I'm not particularly a fan of this dark and artificial film, but I'm a HUGE fan of Technicolor restorations on Blu-ray which can sometimes be jaw-dropping; this isn't one of them. Its possible that there isn't any better source-material extant and nothing better will ever be available; the original Technicolor materials are often long-gone, especially for the earliest pictures like this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 6:35 AM PDT

HP Laser Glossy Brochure Paper 100 Sheets 8.5 x 11 inch 200 Gram-Q6608A
HP Laser Glossy Brochure Paper 100 Sheets 8.5 x 11 inch 200 Gram-Q6608A
Price: $20.99
37 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had good luck with it, May 7, 2012
No problems using this pricey paper with several different HP models and Brother models. Note that color lasers are *NOT* intended to print high-quality hi-res high-contrast photos like inkjets can, so its kind of a fluke if you get one that works well for this; the newest HP I've used (CP3525) produces very nice-looking photos, but definitely not like a glossy inkjet.

One thing I don't have any knowledge of is how laser photos will fade over time, like inkjet photos often do very badly. The technology is totally different, so its possible that they would hold up better for some reason.

AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT, SERIES 1 (BLU-RAY)
AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT, SERIES 1 (BLU-RAY)
DVD ~ Agatha Christie's Poirot
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $25.72
40 used & new from $17.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing image quality coaxed out of original 16mm film, May 1, 2012
When I read some time ago that they were transferring these very familiar programs to Blu-ray, I thought "hmmm really?" knowing that they were filmed in tiny 16mm format, and never intended to be seen on anything more that standard TV screens. But wow the stars really aligned on this project, as they went back to scan the original Panaflex camera negatives and digitally restore them. The results are just eye-popping and keep knocking my proverbial socks off. As often happens with HD digital restorations, all kinds of detail and depth jumps out in the clothing and sets; antique cars gleam, and the colors in women's outfits shines. Its startling to see how much effort was made in the production which was impossible to see at the time. I've just finished watching Series 4 and they keep getting better. Now I'm praying that they do the same thing to the original Marples.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

AT&T Elevate 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot (AT&T)
AT&T Elevate 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot (AT&T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Firmware update April 2012, May 1, 2012
I purchased mine from AT&T immediately after it came out (and dropped "tethering" data service from my cell-phone). I cannot get decent broadband service at my home, and I wanted to be able to simultaneously connect my (base model) iPad, and my laptop. I've been pretty happy with it overall, with these caveats:

- All the wireless activity chews through the battery pretty fast (a few hours) and I always keep it connected to external power at home.

- Like virtually all cell phone data service, you're limited to 5 GB per month (unless you want to pay overage charges); thus its not intended for downloading/streaming video (i.e. Netflix). The display has the amazing feature of a progress-bar showing your current monthly usage, which resets every month.

- Like any wireless broadband service (including Clear WiMAX), its *VERY* dependent on the current load on the cell tower its attached to (which can change moment to moment) and on the tower's backhaul bandwidth. I've seen mine run under 1 Mbps up to 7 Mbps.

Tricks I've got it to do:

- Streaming Pandora music from my iPad while driving for miles down the freeway, with no dropouts.

- I added the obscure AT&T "i2gold" APN feature to my account, to enable Static IP and accept inbound connections via Port Forwarding, and it actually works.

Features I haven't tried:

- I inserted a MicroSD memory card, but haven't used it.

- AT&T has not lit up LTE in my area yet (waiting, waiting, waiting...)

- It has ports for special external antennas for use in weak signal areas.

Features I wish it included:

- DynDNS support, but I might be the only one on the planet to ever use it.

April 2012 I discovered a firmware update available for download on the Sierra Wireless website (first such update that I'm aware of). After typical hassles getting it installed (Windows only) I'm extremely happy with it:

- Resolves a strange problem with "stalled" web-browsing on the iPad; quite a relief that they got off the dime and fixed this.

- Adds a new "DMZ" feature to the configuration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2012 11:14 AM PST

Dropped Names: Famous Men and Women As I Knew Them
Dropped Names: Famous Men and Women As I Knew Them
by Frank Langella
Price: $20.65
159 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, recommended for some people, April 27, 2012
Its definitely worth reading for fans of gossipy Kennedy lore / 50s/60s/70s live theater / 50s/60s/70s movie stars etc; personally he's much more into theater than movies, but he interacted with the major figures of both. I was much amused by his animosity towards self-created legends such as Lee Strasberg; personally I found it refreshing when he was candid about his annoyance with or dislike of various legendary figures. On the other hand he is remarkably reticent about some of his interactions, for example the extent of his relationship with Jackie Kennedy - presumably out of deference to Caroline Kennedy and Bunny Mellon. And that's what startled me most, his being "taken up" so early and firmly by Bunny Mellon, the implications of which may quite possibly be lost on a lot of readers these days. She's one of the more remarkable "behind the scenes" people of the 20th century, who definitely doesn't suffer fools, and few make it into her very charmed inner-circle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5