Profile for Glen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glen RSS Feed (NY, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
PIXIES: A Visual History, Volume I
PIXIES: A Visual History, Volume I
by Sean T. Rayburn
Price: $53.95
2 used & new from $53.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, October 1, 2014
It's a visual history, the context is in the images, the songs, your existing knowledge of that time period. This is a beautiful book, perfectly fits with the Pixies aesthetic. I was a backer from the original campaign to get the book made, and while the wait was long, the end result was well worth it.

Conair Extra-Large Dial Analog Precision Scale
Conair Extra-Large Dial Analog Precision Scale
Price: $26.82
52 used & new from $24.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday scale, September 2, 2013
I considered an electric scale but decided on analog for better accuracy. This scale showed me that my last scale lied!!! So I'm definitely glad to have it. It's a little bigger than I expected, but it's not too heavy.

Fineplus Women's Leechee-grain Leather Tote Bag Small Black
Fineplus Women's Leechee-grain Leather Tote Bag Small Black
Offered by PlusMinus Company
Price: $281.61
2 used & new from $76.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect small commuter bag, September 2, 2013
Great workmanship, just the right size, and mine did not come with the bad smell aside from the standard leatherish new bag smell. Love the lack of branding so much! I already have my eye on a second bag from this company, great way to take the most classic elements of fashion trends and wear them in a more classic way.

LG Optimus Slider Prepaid Android Phone (Virgin Mobile)
LG Optimus Slider Prepaid Android Phone (Virgin Mobile)
Offered by BuyBuy Online (No tax collected outside NC)
Price: $89.99
25 used & new from $28.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget Android, April 17, 2012
I just switched to this phone, and Virgin Mobile, from T-Mobile and a 2009 myTouch 3G. My primary reason for switching was cost, as T-Mobile was offering essentially a free Galaxy 2 with the 2 year contract extension. However, I don't use the phone nearly enough to justify the $90+ monthly bill, and $35/month for everything I already had & use sounded pretty good. What clinched the deal was playing with the Galaxy 2 in person: beautiful phone, lovely screen, but HUGE in my small, girly hands. I could tell lots of falling and breaking was in my future with this phone, so Virgin Mobile and the Optimus Slider won the day.

Things I like:

-This phone is much faster than what I was accustomed to on the myTouch, and thank goodness for that. I was having a hard time with the updated Android 2.2. on the old hardware, lots of crashes (Maps especially) and lags and generally reboots. So far, the LG Optimus Slider has been a breeze, and has Android 2.3.

-LOVE the qwerty keypad. I can't touch type to save my life and the number of typos and nonsense I have texted my friends is sad to recount. This makes my work life so much nicer (I can be productive on my commute, work on documents, etc.)

-Turns on quickly. The myTouch took over 3 minutes (I timed it). Drove me crazy, glad to see it's not an Android problem.

-Camera specs aren't really top notch or anything, but loads better than the old phone. Indoor shots aren't automatically pitch black! Not going to replace a camera by any means, but for something like Instagram photos, it works fairly well.

Things that suck:

-This phone has LESS internal memory than my old myTouch, which means I can't install the same amount of apps as I used to have, and/or have to save to the SD card (which, sadly, too many apps don't allow). That's just ridiculous, and makes my next point that much more frustrating.

-Undeletable BLOATWARE. There are 4 specific apps that are just dumb and I plan to root and delete eventually. I do understand the carrier apps being permanent to the phone, but the 3rd party crap? Annoying.

-Battery is NOT good. I keep leaving the satellite/sync features on and my phone is low battery by the time I leave work. Turning off these features when not in use greatly improves battery life, but I'm still charging it nightly, so YMMV. You can buy extended batteries/covers online, so there's always that option.

-No "touch home to wake up" feature. You have to root and remap the buttons to get this functionality back. I'm just going to see if I can retrain my brain to press power to wake.

-Video is not very good.

-microUSB. For me, this is a bummer, as it makes my cable situation a bit frustrating, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Despite all the negatives, the phone's a keeper and I'm glad I made the switch. VM is not terribly different service-wise than T-Mobile in my area, as far as I can tell. As long as you know the limitations of the Optimus Slider, you'll be happy with the phone.

Speck See Thru Satin Case for 13-Inch MacBook Pro Unibody SD Card Slot Compatible (MB13AU-SAT-RED-D)

4.0 out of 5 stars Case still working 2 years later, February 16, 2012
I did my research after buying my MacBook Pro in 2010, and this looked like a great case for the money. Two years later and it's still performing well.

I did want to note a couple of things, though:

-The case WILL gather up dirt and dust inside, so it's a good idea to take it off and clean it out at least once every 6 months or so. Otherwise it gets a little gross in there, especially if you live with your laptop (i.e. it's close to food and other computer-unfriendly things).

-My case had a small issue with fit on one of the corners, and I noticed the corner has developed a small split there. So far it hasn't opened up or cause the case to loosen or anything, but it's worth knowing that it might happen.

Overall, I am glad I purchased this, as my MacBook looks practically new under it's red shield :)

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Price: $37.58
42 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones for running, February 16, 2012
There is a lot of praise for these headphones already, so I'll just address my specific use. I recently got a replacement pair, as I accidentally broke my last pair (which were a warranty replacement for my original PortaPro's). So you can see I have some brand attachment to these rather retro looking headphones.

I really like these headphones for running outdoors, as I find they are the only pair that stay on my head under my running hat without shifting or falling off my ears (my main complain for in-ear headphones and running). I sweat when I run, so the cushion does wear out eventually. I just got the Koss PORTABLE Replacement Cushions and replace them when they get torn up.

These are great for running because they blast music but don't block out noise, so you can still hear traffic noises, other people approaching you, etc. This is a must for safety when running outdoors. The band is super thin, so my hat fits over them with no issues as well.

After my runs I hang these up on a hook so they dry out. So far no damage from sweat or any other related problems. Because I dry them our right away they haven't developed a smell either, but YMMV on that.

Nongshim Shin Noodle Ramyun, Gourmet Spicy Picante, 4.2-Ounce Packages (Pack of 20)
Offered by TA National Trading
Price: $25.41
14 used & new from $19.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good noodles, February 16, 2012
Good spicy ramen,and when purchased through Amazon, pretty cheap. In NYC you can't really find these in bulk at these prices (under a dollar per soup with Subscribe & Save) unless you go bargain hunting at the Asian markets. I still have most of this case left, so I'd imagine one case is good for 6 months, if you're a relatively light eater of freeze-dried ramen.

You can add all sorts of things to hearten this ramen up: eggs, spinach, tofu, kimchi, bean sprouts. This ramen IS salty (and moderately spicy), so you can add extra cooking water and dump it out after serving, or half the seasoning packet.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Most affordable solution to my Hulu problem, February 16, 2012
I have an older television (not even flat screen) and was looking for a way to stream Hulu content to my TV without having to shell out for the plus subscription. I also wanted to be able to watch Amazon Prime TV and Movies and Netflix stuff on my television, as my laptop is a 13" with a tiny screen. Another issue I had was an awkward layout of the computers vs. the TV, so I looked around for a wireless solution that would be somewhat reliable, though it did NOT have to be "on" all the time, just when I wanted to watch Hulu or Prime shows.

A few things:

-Laptop is a MacBook Pro, TV is old RCA 27".

-My setup is thus: wifi station 1 connected via adapters to the laptop, volume also connected to the laptop, wifi station 2 connected to the TV via audio and video cables. Stream and audio from laptop comes out pretty well on TV.

-I have a second monitor I sometimes use for the laptop, and rather than try splitting the video signal, I just purchased a second generic adapter for it for about six bucks. Like I mentioned, I don't need this solution "on" all the time, just when I want to watch particular shows. So, I switch the adapters around depending on my needs. Not a big deal for me.

-This item is not perfect, especially as it relies on a wireless solution. This means that there is occasional static and weird glitchy stuff on the TV, especially if you are moving around a lot near the wifi equipment. I find that if I set up it and relax on the couch, my computer streams to the TV mostly problem-free.

-I'm not super tech oriented, and it took some fiddling around with various settings to get the stream to look just right. The stream shows up rather dark on my television, so I've had to create a color/brightness profile specifically for the wifi stream. If your TV does not allow for this, it might be an issue, but my TV is pretty old and it allows for this. The volume is also not the loudest. I don't need it to be loud and find the volume level acceptable, but those with hearing issues might find it lacking.

-Can't comment on any remote features, as I just set things up on the laptop and watch. It's a bit clunky to use, but for my purposes, it was the best solution for the right price.

-This solution only really worked because I don't have a Hulu Plus sub. If you do, there are better and more reliable products out there, of equal or lesser cost.

Canon BCI-24 Ink Cartridges Two Black/One Color -3 Pack (6881A039)
Canon BCI-24 Ink Cartridges Two Black/One Color -3 Pack (6881A039)
Offered by TonerGalore
Price: $12.10
20 used & new from $10.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable ink, great price, February 16, 2012
To be honest, I don't love this brand of ink nor the printer I use it with, the MP390 Multipass. It's old tech, and the quality of my prints is not really resume-quality these days. However, for every day printing of things like coupons or receipts and making photocopies, this ink is very affordable and even long-lasting if your use is moderate. I plan to buy a photo-quality printer this year, but I plan to continue to use my old printer, and Canon BCI ink as long as they continue to make it, as I've seen the going rate for nice printer ink and it's eye-poppingly expensive.

For specs, the black is really the only color I use, as I find the color ink to be terrible in my printer. Not sure if that's just the old tech, or if my printer's color heads are done in. However, the printer won't work without a color tank, so I always make sure to have one in. I don't have too much trouble with the ink smearing or anything, like I said, it's an efficient if not high-end solution for everyday printouts.

Amazon has a great price for this ink, and the cartridges can be recycled in many office supply shops, some of which even give out rewards, so there's an opportunity to maximize your value from these little ink tanks.

eneloop AA 1800 cycle,  Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack (discontinued by manufacturer)
eneloop AA 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by D.R. Worth and Sons
Price: $39.48
6 used & new from $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rechargeable batteries, February 16, 2012
As a regular, non-battery-expert consumer of small electronics, I've been looking for a simple, easy to charge, reliable brand of batteries for AA and AAA use. After years of dealing with quick failing commercial brands, I read a review somewhere for the new breed of batteries, all shiny and long lasting. This was a few years ago, I went ahead and purchased a small pack of the eneloop AAA, and have become a brand convert. Whereas all of my other rechargeable batteries have quickly lost their charge and pretty much died in a 2-3 year span, the eneloops I bought in 2009 are still not just working, but working as well as they ever have. I've slowly been building up my eneloop arsenal, and now have a variety of AAA and AA and even an extra travel USB charger, though the eneloop's charge just fine with my prehistoric Rayovac charger from who knows when.

I don't know much about the science behind these bad boys, and I'm sure there are other brands that may outperform by seconds or days, but for reliable use for your household electronics, these rechargeables simply work out of the box. I can say with total confidence that the Sanyo enelooop have been the best rechargeable batteries I've used to date, and they're worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2