Profile for Laura A. Jackson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 346

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura A. Jackson "laurelprincess" RSS Feed (Houston, Tx, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
With Every Breath
With Every Breath

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, August 9, 2014
This review is from: With Every Breath (Kindle Edition)
Elizabeth Camden's books are so well researched, and this one is no exception. I love the backdrop of the tuberculosis epidemic. It seems Camden's novels just breathe life into historical events, and I felt the hopelessness and panic that communities felt. It set the mood and tone for two dynamic characters.

I love Kate and Trevor. I loved their back and forth, how they challenged each other. Their feistiness offset a sad topic.

I also loved the theme of living life, celebrating every breath, and trusting God with what might come next.

Fans of historical fiction will love this book. Of course, Camden fans will be thrilled with this newest story, and fans of Jody Hedlund will also enjoy this tale.

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.

Visible Threat
Visible Threat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, August 3, 2014
This review is from: Visible Threat (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story. Since it's the second book in a series, the reader already knows the characters and can hit the ground running.
I love Brinna--she's strong and capable but still a little too independent. I really like her determination to protect and to serve.
The topic is a tough one--human trafficking. It's heartbreaking, and I thought the author handled the topic well.
The action is fast, and I stayed up late to finish.
Fans of Christian suspense/action will enjoy this one.
I'm looking forward to the next one--especially to see what happens with Brinna and Jack. I like them a lot and like the pace of the relationship.

When I Fall in Love (Christiansen Family Book 3)
When I Fall in Love (Christiansen Family Book 3)
Price: $8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these characters, July 24, 2014
I love this series. The family is so real. I love that while they love Jesus, they are still human, making mistakes and figuring life out. Grace is no exception. She's stronger than she knows, and I loved seeing her figure it out.

I also liked that Susan May Warren tackled a tough topic--a terminal disease. If you knew your time was limited, how would you live? Keep everyone away or embrace every moment.

Readers were also introduced to Raina and Casper, who I guess will be featured next. I can't wait to see what the author does with them.

Fans of Christian fiction will love this book. You don't have to read the series in order, but it does help get to know the characters better--and you'll love them.

A June Bride (A Year of Weddings Novella Book 7)
A June Bride (A Year of Weddings Novella Book 7)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars June Bride, July 19, 2014
I've seen a lot of reviews about this book, but I tried to go into it with no expectations.
I enjoyed it.
I'm a fan of the author, Marybeth Whalen, and what I like about her books is that the character goes through events and processes them throughout the whole story. So, while I enjoyed this novella, I think the characters would have been better served with a whole novel where they would have had plenty of time to grow.
My favorite part was the ending. While it wasn't the happily-ever-after ending, it was a real ending with a hope of a future.

I was given this book in exchange for a review. My thoughts are my own.

The Sheep Walker's Daughter
The Sheep Walker's Daughter
by Sydney Avey
Price: $13.49
22 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing!, July 19, 2014
There's a beautiful cadence to Sydney Avey's writing that pulled me in despite this not being a genre I usually pick up.
Dolores and Valerie are complex characters, and the author captured their emotions perfectly. Dolores annoyed me at the beginning, but I began to like her as the book went on. By the end, I was rooting for her to finally find herself.
The culture aspect of the book was interesting as well.
I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

License to Spill (Pretenders)
License to Spill (Pretenders)
Offered by Hachette Book Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid book 2, July 13, 2014
I loved the first book (except for the abrupt ending), and I enjoyed this book for the same reason---each character was unique and the author did a great job switching voices to keep them that way.
Some loose ends got tied up in this book while other cans of worms were being opened....a good balance for a series.
Looking forward to book 3.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before
To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 13, 2014
I really enjoyed this book.
The characters were intriguing and although they annoyed me at times, that made them real.
I liked the premise, and I found myself rooting for Peter, who seemed like a jerk at the beginning.
What made this a five-star rating for me was the family dynamics, especially the sister relationship between Margot and Lara.
I can't wait for book 2!

Captured By Love (Michigan Brides Collection Book #3)
Captured By Love (Michigan Brides Collection Book #3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Good book by Hedlund, July 7, 2014
I'm a Jody Hedlund fan, and I was looking forward to this book. As with all of Hedlund's books, you feel like you are there in history, living the events and feeling the emotions of the characters.

My heart hurt for Angelique--torn between the guy she's always had a crush on (Pierre) and the promise she made to his brother (Jean) to marry him when he returned from the war. She's a strong, fantastic character.

While I liked Pierre, I just didn't like the circumstances of their relationship. I hated that Angelique had promised to marry Jean because while Pierre and Angelique's relationship was fun and flirty, I couldn't root for them while Jean was off fighting in the war.

SPOILER AHEAD!

I appreciated how the author didn't kill off Jean just to have Pierre and Angelique together! That would have been the easy way out of the conflict, and while it seemed a little fast at the end, I appreciated how it was handled.

Overall, Captured by Love is a great historical read. Hedlund captures the time and emotions perfectly with interesting characters.

I received this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.

It Had to Be You (Christiansen Family Book 2)
It Had to Be You (Christiansen Family Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, July 2, 2014
Susan May Warren creates terrific characters, and this book gives us the lovely Eden, who is a mother hen to her hockey-playing brother. When she meets his teammate Jace, sparks fly, but Eden knows better than to fall for hockey's bad boy enforcer.

I love the Christiansen family that Susan introduced us to in book one, and it was fun getting to know Eden. I really liked her and her struggle of finding her way in a family of stand-out siblings. And even though Jace had fame, he was still struggling for a sense of family and belonging. They were cute together.

I really liked the side story of Jace's friend Sam, who is struggling to keep his business afloat and care for his daughter who is rejecting her heart transplant. It was a beautiful story of a father's love for his child, and I kinda wish Sam had gotten his own book.

Fans of Christian fiction will love this addition to the Christiansen saga. Can't wait for the next one!

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.

O Love How Deep: A Tale of Three Souls
O Love How Deep: A Tale of Three Souls
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love one man but marry another?, June 28, 2014
Love one man but marry another?
That's the premise of this book in my opinion. The beginning of the book shares the love between Diana and David, yet she turns him away and marries another?
I didn't get it, and even after finishing, I still don't get it.
That one decision that doesn't seem to make sense sets up an interesting look into a woman's life as she ponders what would have happened if she had just told David how she felt.
It seems the rest of her life hinged on that moment.
Told in journal entries and letters, the book is long--too long and too full of details that often overshadow the plot. The entries are often cumbersome to read, and it took me months to finish this book.
But, that's okay. I found the details insightful to the main character's mind as she struggled with lost love, raising children, health issues, addiction.
Diana, the main character, frustrated me at times, but that made her human. She is raw and authentic.
This book isn't your typical read. It's more of a collection of one woman's thoughts and experiences, and it's not a happily ever after story. But, are we guaranteed one of those in life?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 9:05 PM PDT